¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

^Its crazy b/c I ve heard a lot of stories about JoePa...who knows if they're true though..
laugh.gif

LOL
roll.gif
, PAterno said he wanted Linebackers to play RB, What the FUDGE?????? WHy doesn't he just get RB's????

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

LOL
roll.gif
, PAterno said he wanted Linebackers to play RB, What the FUDGE?????? WHy doesn't he just get RB's????

Because he is losing it. I live 45 minutes away from Penn State and its funny some of the quotes local beat writers get from his weekly press conference.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I went to get ND info on one of the boards...

See someone saying Jonas Gray is as fast as Percy Harvin.

Hit the back button, I can't deal with those people.

I guess Sam Youngs soft as $@@@ **% has put on 30-40 lbs tho
ohwell.gif

Jonas is track fast but not football fast. He was overrated as hell because he busted some 4.3's at the Michigan camp. Anybody that says Jonas is evenclose to Percy is losing there mind. He is good but his speed is without pads.

It's not like Bell is just a mid-level prospect either.

He's top 3 LB's in this class, top 20 player overall

I seriously doubt JoePa even evaluates prospect tapes anymore

DLO,

QB Josh Nesbitt

Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

More Offseason coaching carousel

ATLANTA - NewGeorgia Tech coach PaulJohnson shrugs off the skepticism about whether his option offense can work in a major conference.

"We've beensuccessful everywhere we've coached with it," said Johnson, who has been coach at Navy and Division I-AA Georgia Southern. "We play the sameteams here we played at Navy, or a lot of them. If we don't succeed, I don't think that will be the reason."
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
PAULJOHNSON250A_0407.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson expects to be successful using a similar option offense at Georgia Tech.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
History supports Johnson's thesis in more than one respect. His record speaks for itself. He has won nearly three-quarters ofhis games during an 11-year head-coaching career that includes two I-AA national championships at Georgia Southern. Johnson headed to Georgia Tech in December after posting a 45-29 record at Navy, which had gone1-20 in the two seasons before his arrival.

And as much asJohnson's offense might look out of place in today's version of big-time college football, it wasn't that long ago that teams frequently wonchampionships without throwing the ball 20 times a game. Nebraska was winning titles with an option attack as recently as 1994, '95 and '97.So why aren't teams running the option anymore?

"I guess becauseit's a little old-school type of football," Georgia Tech sophomore running back Jonathan Dwyer said. "Everyone's into the spreadoffense, the new offense of the millennium. It's different from everyone else, but we have a lot of athletes and a lot of speed and I think it will workfor us."

Georgia Tech might bethe only school from one of the so-called "Big Six" conferences running this type of offense, but at least one interested observer has no doubt theYellow Jackets will have success with it.

Georgiacoach Mark Richt's perfect record against the Yellow Jackets helps explainwhy former Tech coach Chan Gailey was fired even after delivering six consecutive winning seasons. Richt offered two reasons Johnson's system at Navyshould work in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"One, it'sproven," Richt said. "Two, the coach is proven, too. He's done nothing but win everywhere he's been."
[table][tr][td]
CAN HISTORY REPEAT?
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Georgia Tech can only hope new coach Paul Johnson repeats the success he enjoyed at Navy. Here's a look at Navy's overall record and its performance against archrival Army during Johnson's tenure and before his arrival. Georgia Tech is trying to end a seven-game losing streak to archrival Georgia.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Before Johnson
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Year
[/td] [td]
Record
[/td] [td]
Army Game
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
3-8
[/td] [td]
L 34-30
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
5-7
[/td] [td]
W 19-9
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
1-10
[/td] [td]
W 30-28
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
0-10
[/td] [td]
L 26-17
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
After Johnson
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Year
[/td] [td]
Record
[/td] [td]
Army Game
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
2-10
[/td] [td]
W 58-12
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
8-5
[/td] [td]
W 34-6
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
10-2
[/td] [td]
W 42-13
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
8-4
[/td] [td]
W 42-23
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
9-4
[/td] [td]
W 26-14
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
8-4*
[/td] [td]
W 38-3
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Note: *--Navy finished 8-5 last season. Johnson didn't coach the Midshipmen in their 35-32 Poinsettia Bowl loss to Utah because he already had accepted the job at Georgia Tech.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
It couldtake some time for him to start winning at Georgia Tech, which doesn't have a quarterback who has started a college game. The Yellow Jackets also must findnew runners to replace Tashard Choice, who has moved on to the NFL after two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

The changes around herearen't limited to offense. Georgia Tech won't blitz nearly as often now that new coordinator Dave Wommack has replaced Jon Tenuta, whose feast-or-famine system helped the Yellow Jackets lead the nation insacks last season while also ranking ninth out of 12 ACC teams in pass efficiency defense.

With a roster full ofnewcomers learning a new playbook, it's no wonder the first couple of practices were ragged.

"They'regrasping (it) better but, yeah, they're confused," Johnson said after Georgia Tech's second workout of the spring. "You're throwing awhole lot of things at them really fast."

The Yellow Jacketsdon't have any experienced quarterbacks because Taylor Bennett - a classic dropback quarterback who might not have fit Johnson's system - transferredafter starting all 13 games last season. Wide receiver .J. Donley and tight end Colin Peek announced plans to transfer after Johnson's arrival. Wide receiver James Johnson left the team after the first week ofspring practice, though he said his decision came because his heart wasn't in the game anymore and that he had no problems with the coaching change or thenew offense.

It would be easy tounderstand why people would want to blame the new scheme for the defections. Navy threw the ball only 11.1 times per game during Johnson's six-year tenure.In four of the past five seasons, Navy led the nation in rushing offense. In each of the past two seasons, the Midshipmen ranked last in Division I-A inpassing offense.

By contrast, every teamin the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Big East averaged at least 20 passes per game last season, and West Virginia (20.4), Arkansas (24.1) and Illinois(24.
glasses.gif
were the only "Big Six" teams that threw the ball less than 25 times per game.

"I was concerned Iwasn't going to get the ball much," sophomore wide receiver Demaryius Thomas said, "but once I talked to(Johnson), I felt OK about it. Now I feel much better about it. He just told me to stay in and see what he does."

One of the first thingsJohnson must do is decide on a quarterback. Sophomore Josh Nesbitt certainly looks like an ideal candidate to run an option attack after averaging 6.4 yards per carry as a backup last year.Navy's starting quarterbacks rushed for an average of 836 yards and 12.7 touchdowns during the Johnson era. Nesbitt ran for 1,745 yards and 30 touchdownswhile also throwing for 5,089 yards and 63 scores in his final two seasons at Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County High School.

Nesbitt also is ashotgun quarterback who hasn't lined up directly under center since 10th grade, which could cause him to have some growing pains in Johnson's offense."It's definitely hard," Nesbitt said. "It takes time to get comfortable with it."

Nesbitt'sunfamiliarity at working under center could benefit fifth-year senior Calvin Booker, an Auburn transfer who was 11 of 21 for167 yards with a touchdown pass and an interception last season. Booker doesn't possess Nesbitt's speed or upside, but his experience might make himless of a risk.
[table][tr][td]
CHANGE OF STRATEGY
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
The hiring of Paul Johnson means Georgia Tech probably will run the ball more than it did last season. Johnson operated an option attack at Navy that helped the Midshipmen regularly rank among the NCAA leaders in rushing. Here's a look at where Georgia Tech and Navy ranked in rushing and passing offense during Johnson's six-year tenure at Navy. The average yards per game are in parentheses.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
GEORGIA TECH
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Year
[/td] [td]
Rushing Offense
[/td] [td]
Passing Offense
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
48th (163.6)
[/td] [td]
61st (211.1)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
49th (160.5)
[/td] [td]
100th (170.2)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
49th (162.3
[/td] [td]
86th (184.2)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
49th (153.
glasses.gif

[/td] [td]
89th (195.3)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
35th (162.4)
[/td] [td]
91st (169.6)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
24th (199.3)
[/td] [td]
98th (185.6)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
NAVY
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Year
[/td] [td]
Rushing Offense
[/td] [td]
Passing Offense
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
3rd (270.
glasses.gif

[/td] [td]
115th (98.7)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
1st (323.2)
[/td] [td]
116th (100.3)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
3rd (289.5)
[/td] [td]
116th (99.3)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
1st (318.7)
[/td] [td]
115th (116.5)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
1st (327.0)
[/td] [td]
119th (56.0)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
1st (348.
glasses.gif

[/td] [td]
119th (95.3)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"It's going to be a learning curve," Johnson said. "Everybody talks about Josh Nesbitt. … I don't care whatoffense you're running, there's a learning curve. Calvin's been around a little longer, so he's got that going for him. But when you come inwith something new, everyone starts on the same page."

That's true atevery position - not just quarterback.

Johnson doesn'thave an official depth chart and has made just about every starting spot up for grabs, which has increased the competitive spirit around the practice field.Booker said the new coach turned up the intensity of the offseason workouts by about "100 notches."

"They really triedto see if you had heart, to see if you'd quit or not," Thomas said. "We had like seven drills back-to-back-to-back, then a four-minute break. Ican't compare it to anything."

Comparing this offenseto any other in the nation could prove equally challenging. Instead of having fullbacks and tailbacks lining up in the backfield, Georgia Tech has"A" backs and "B" backs. The "B" back positions himself directly behind the quarterback. Two "A" backs flank him andcan receive option pitches or run pass patterns.

This scheme could makea star out of Dwyer, the likely starter at the "B-back" position. Johnson tried recruiting him to Navy, but Dwyer wasn't interested in going to amilitary school. As fate would have it, Dwyer still will get the chance to play in this run-oriented system after rushing for nine touchdowns as a truefreshman last season.

"Everyone'sgoing to have to look out for everybody," Dwyer said. "The ball's going to be moving all over the place."

How often will the ballbe moving through the air? Nobody knows for sure, even though Booker suspects the Yellow Jackets will be passing more than Navy did the last sixyears.

"I think we will,but that's up to Coach Johnson," Booker said. "I don't care if I only threw about twice a game. If we're winning games, that's allthat matters. To me, if we option the ball down the field or throw the ball down the field, as long as we're scoring points and winning, that's whatmatters."

Steve Megargee is anational writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

Originally Posted by Answer IV DMX

It's not like Bell is just a mid-level prospect either.

He's top 3 LB's in this class, top 20 player overall

I seriously doubt JoePa even evaluates prospect tapes anymore

Word.....Bell is SICK
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I just hope him and his teammate make it down to Visit FSU......

devil.gif
devil.gif

a1e159baab1f5e9e891f4138b4d109ce537b5ad.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

Dre, looks like our movement has hit a snag.
New leader in USC QB race
Posted: Wednesday April 09, 2008 06:40AM ET

USC's third week of spring practice began Tuesday with what appeared to be a subtle shift in the quarterback competition. Unlike the first two weeks, when Mark Sanchez shared some of the first-team snaps with Mitch Mustain and Aaron Corp, Sanchez took every one. Sanchez performed much like he did in Sunday's scrimmage; short on highlight-reel plays but long on efficiency. With only six workouts left -- including two scrimmages -- the fourth-year junior from Mission Viejo seems to have widened the gap in the race to become John David Booty's successor.

Looks like Sanchez' penchant for sexually assaulting co-eds is our only shot for the boy Mitch. I have hope though.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Dre, looks like our movement has hit a snag.
New leader in USC QB race
Posted: Wednesday April 09, 2008 06:40AM ET

USC's third week of spring practice began Tuesday with what appeared to be a subtle shift in the quarterback competition. Unlike the first two weeks, when Mark Sanchez shared some of the first-team snaps with Mitch Mustain and Aaron Corp, Sanchez took every one. Sanchez performed much like he did in Sunday's scrimmage; short on highlight-reel plays but long on efficiency. With only six workouts left -- including two scrimmages -- the fourth-year junior from Mission Viejo seems to have widened the gap in the race to become John David Booty's successor.

Looks like Sanchez' penchant for sexually assaulting co-eds is our only shot for the boy Mitch. I have hope though.

smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

Lets hope for the best....

who was the NT'er who said the SEC has the worst coaching in the country?
Ranking the BCS coaches: Richt leads talent-rich SEC

Posted: April 8, 2008

Five SEC coaches have won national titles (South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Florida's Urban Meyer, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer, LSU's Les Miles, Alabama's Nick Saban).

Four SEC coaches have been NFL head coaches (Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, Kentucky's Rich Brooks, Saban, Spurrier). Another coach has ample NFL experience (Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom).

Bottom line: the SEC features the best collection of coaching talent in America.

RANKING THE SEC COACHES

1. Mark Richt, Georgia. Here is all you need to know: Richt is fourth among active I-A coaches with a .791 winning percentage (72-19). Want more? He's one of just six coaches to win two SEC crowns in his first five years. On top of all of this, Richt is a terrific human being who knows how to motivate.

2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina. It's impossible to ignore his body of work at Florida, which included six outright SEC titles and the 1996 national crown. That alone makes him an all-time great. But, golly, don't you get the feeling his gig in Columbia isn't gonna work out? Spurrier is over two years in, and his magic isn't working. Another trip to a middling bowl game officially will mean the bloom is off.

3. Urban Meyer, Florida. Let's call him "Midas" Meyer, as everything he touches seemingly turns to gold. It did at Bowling Green and Utah, and his tenure in Gainesville has been golden, too. The Gators are college football's "it" program, and Meyer is the reason why.

4. Nick Saban, Alabama. You love him. You hate him. But you don't ignore him. Why? Because you're scared to death of what his presence on the opposing sideline means. Some say Saban is overrated as a tactician. And that may be true. But Saban has no peer when it comes to recruiting. Factor that in with his NFL experience, and you have the makings of an SEC monster in Tuscaloosa.

5. Les Miles, LSU. He has an SEC title. He has a BCS title. My point? Get off Miles' back. The 2008 season was his crowning glory, his official coronation as an "elite" coach who is sitting on a dynasty in Baton Rouge. Good thing he didn't bolt for Michigan.

6. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn. I'm gonna call Tubs the most underappreciated coach in America. It's true. His Tigers have been one of the top programs in the SEC most of his tenure. The last four years, Auburn has won at least nine games each season. And Tuberville has won at least a share of the SEC West crown five times in 10 years on The Plains. Oh, and I almost forgot: Tubs has won six in a row against Bama and seven of eight overall.

7. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee. To last as long as he has in a high-pressure job speaks volumes for how good of a coach Fulmer is. And he has a BCS title on his resume. Let's all sing "Rocky Top!" But recent history tells us Fulmer is slipping. The dirty little secret in Knoxville: The Vols haven't won the SEC since 1998.

8. Houston Nutt, Ole Miss. The way Hog denizens howled for Nutt to leave Arkansas reminded me of something my grandma used to say: Be careful what you wish for, because you may get it. Nutt's work in Fayetteville showed he's a top-notch coach. I fully expect the personable Nutt, who has an eye for talent and is masterful motivator and game-planner, to thrive in Oxford.

9. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt. He has the Commodores THISCLOSE to breaking through to their first bowl game since 1982. And his wins over the likes of Tennessee, Georgia and Arkansas tell you he's a fabulous coach. We all know Vandy doesn't win because it has better talent.

10. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas. If you are looking for warm and fuzzy, keep looking. But if you are looking for calculating and clever, Petrino is your man. His track record speaks for itself. Petrino took Louisville to places where it never had gone. Now, he's coaching an SEC program with big resources. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, Petrino is gonna build a power in Fayetteville.

11. Rich Brooks, Kentucky. I'll admit that I blew it by thinking the Wildcats erred in retrieving Brooks from the scrapheap. But he is a sage mind who has been seasoned by many years in the Pac-10, as well as honing his craft in the NFL. Get me another glass of that blue Kool-Aid!

12. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State. The epitome of class, Croom is making his bosses look smart for being patient as he rebuilds a ravaged program. He guided the Bulldogs to their first bowl game since 2000 last season. Now, the tough part: Keeping MSU in the hunt for a bowl appearance every year. Don't bet against Croom.

link

how is Bobby Johnson ahead of Rich Brooks?

Even though he is no longer @ FSU....

Mark Richt is that dude....

3. Urban Meyer, Florida. Let's call him "Midas" Meyer, as everything he touches seemingly turns to gold. It did at Bowling Green and Utah, and his tenure in Gainesville has been golden, too. The Gators are college football's "it" program, and Meyer is the reason why.
Can't say the same for this ({})
sick.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Even though he is no longer @ FSU....

Mark Richt is that dude....

Can't say the same for this ({})
sick.gif

agreed

How is Mark Richt better than 5 coaches with BCS Titles. Richt is good but he isn't better than Meyer, Saban or even Tuberville. UGA will lose at least 2games this year bank on it.

Anybody here seen the running backs practice, in particular Allen Bradford?

And I do not support the Mitch Mustain Movement

Originally Posted by gatorb807

How is Mark Richt better than 5 coaches with BCS Titles. Richt is good but he isn't better than Meyer, Saban or even Tuberville. UGA will lose at least 2 games this year bank on it.
2? Im givin 'em 4

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

who was the NT'er who said the SEC has the worst coaching in the country?
Ranking the BCS coaches: Richt leads talent-rich SEC

Posted: April 8, 2008

Five SEC coaches have won national titles (South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, Florida's Urban Meyer, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer, LSU's Les Miles, Alabama's Nick Saban).

Four SEC coaches have been NFL head coaches (Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, Kentucky's Rich Brooks, Saban, Spurrier). Another coach has ample NFL experience (Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom).

Bottom line: the SEC features the best collection of coaching talent in America.

RANKING THE SEC COACHES

1. Mark Richt, Georgia. Here is all you need to know: Richt is fourth among active I-A coaches with a .791 winning percentage (72-19). Want more? He's one of just six coaches to win two SEC crowns in his first five years. On top of all of this, Richt is a terrific human being who knows how to motivate.

2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina. It's impossible to ignore his body of work at Florida, which included six outright SEC titles and the 1996 national crown. That alone makes him an all-time great. But, golly, don't you get the feeling his gig in Columbia isn't gonna work out? Spurrier is over two years in, and his magic isn't working. Another trip to a middling bowl game officially will mean the bloom is off.

4. Nick Saban, Alabama. You love him. You hate him. But you don't ignore him. Why? Because you're scared to death of what his presence on the opposing sideline means. Some say Saban is overrated as a tactician. And that may be true. But Saban has no peer when it comes to recruiting. Factor that in with his NFL experience, and you have the makings of an SEC monster in Tuscaloosa.

5. Les Miles, LSU. He has an SEC title. He has a BCS title. My point? Get off Miles' back. The 2008 season was his crowning glory, his official coronation as an "elite" coach who is sitting on a dynasty in Baton Rouge. Good thing he didn't bolt for Michigan.

6. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn. I'm gonna call Tubs the most underappreciated coach in America. It's true. His Tigers have been one of the top programs in the SEC most of his tenure. The last four years, Auburn has won at least nine games each season. And Tuberville has won at least a share of the SEC West crown five times in 10 years on The Plains. Oh, and I almost forgot: Tubs has won six in a row against Bama and seven of eight overall.

7. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee. To last as long as he has in a high-pressure job speaks volumes for how good of a coach Fulmer is. And he has a BCS title on his resume. Let's all sing "Rocky Top!" But recent history tells us Fulmer is slipping. The dirty little secret in Knoxville: The Vols haven't won the SEC since 1998.

8. Houston Nutt, Ole Miss. The way Hog denizens howled for Nutt to leave Arkansas reminded me of something my grandma used to say: Be careful what you wish for, because you may get it. Nutt's work in Fayetteville showed he's a top-notch coach. I fully expect the personable Nutt, who has an eye for talent and is masterful motivator and game-planner, to thrive in Oxford.

9. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt. He has the Commodores THISCLOSE to breaking through to their first bowl game since 1982. And his wins over the likes of Tennessee, Georgia and Arkansas tell you he's a fabulous coach. We all know Vandy doesn't win because it has better talent.

10. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas. If you are looking for warm and fuzzy, keep looking. But if you are looking for calculating and clever, Petrino is your man. His track record speaks for itself. Petrino took Louisville to places where it never had gone. Now, he's coaching an SEC program with big resources. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, Petrino is gonna build a power in Fayetteville.

11. Rich Brooks, Kentucky. I'll admit that I blew it by thinking the Wildcats erred in retrieving Brooks from the scrapheap. But he is a sage mind who has been seasoned by many years in the Pac-10, as well as honing his craft in the NFL. Get me another glass of that blue Kool-Aid!

12. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State. The epitome of class, Croom is making his bosses look smart for being patient as he rebuilds a ravaged program. He guided the Bulldogs to their first bowl game since 2000 last season. Now, the tough part: Keeping MSU in the hunt for a bowl appearance every year. Don't bet against Croom.
link

how is Bobby Johnson ahead of Rich Brooks?
i ant said that but i see a bunch of overrated coachs on that list

Not trying to argue BigMike but there aren't many coaches I would take over the first 7 on that list. Maybe Carroll, Stoops, Tressel and Rodriguez. Thequality of coaches in the SEC is top notch.

SC fans what is up with Marc Tyler? I know he redshirted last year will he play RB or LB?

I wanna see what Paul Johnson can do with that offense at GT.

I don't feel like looking back but does anyone know what recruits from this year's class might not be able to enroll in the fall?

The only names I've heard are possibilities for Clemson are Antoine McClain and maybe...Jamie Harper, but supposedly he just needs to improve his testscore a little.

[h1]USC transfer Moody laboring in Florida's spread offense[/h1]

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: April 9, 2008, 3:55 PM ET

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Each time Florida football coach Urban Meyer bumped into tailback Emmanuel Moody during the offseason, the conversation started the same.

[+] Enlarge

University of Florida

Emmanuel Moody was the Pac-10 freshman of the year for USC.

"Boy, I hope you're really, really good," Meyer would tell the Southern California transfer.

Moody, who sat out the 2007 season after leaving the Trojans, would just shake his head and laugh.

"He said it to me every day," Moody said. "After a few times, I was like, 'Enough, Coach, that's enough.'"

But as the Gators prepare to finish spring practice with Saturday's Orange and Blue game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Meyer still wonders how good his team's new tailback really is. Moody, who led the Trojans in rushing in each of his first three games and was named Pac-10 Conference Freshman of the Year in 2006, has struggled to adapt to the Gators' spread offense.

After three weeks of spring practice, Moody remains lost in translation. Nearly everything seems different going from "Tailback U." to "Spread U." Moody has struggled running the football out of the shotgun, which he had never done before, and still seems confused about where to line up and which direction to run. The Texas native is even struggling with Florida's stifling heat and humidity.

"It's hot out there, you know?" said Moody, a native of Coppell, Texas. "I'm used to the humidity and heat in Texas, but I've never been in heat like this."

Wait until the 2008 season begins, when Florida fans are counting on Moody to become a workhorse tailback, something the Gators have lacked during Meyer's tenure.

When Moody abruptly left USC in August because he was near the bottom of the Trojans' stockpile of running backs, he instantly was thought to be Florida's savior. The Gators won big during Meyer's first three seasons, but largely did so without productive tailbacks. Florida ranked 23rd nationally and third in the SEC in rushing with 200.15 yards per game last season. Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow led the Gators with 895 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns. Speedy receiver Percy Harvin was second with 764 rushing yards and six touchdowns.

All told, Florida's tailbacks accounted for only 25 percent of the team's rushing yards in 2007. The Gators' quarterbacks and receivers also scored 85 percent of the team's rushing touchdowns.

dropQuote.gif
[h3]When coach Meyer recruited me, he told me Percy and Tebow were running the ball a lot because they felt like they didn't have the tailbacks. I'm not coming in here saying I'm going to be the quick fix, but I came here with the expectations that I can really help out in that area.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--Florida RB Emmanuel Moody

With Tebow lowering his head and hitting anyone in sight, Florida's running game vastly improved last season. During the 2006 season, when the Gators beat Ohio State 41-14 in the BCS Championship Game to win the school's second national championship in football, they ranked 38th nationally with 160 rushing yards per game. Florida was 56th nationally and fifth in the SEC in rushing with only 146.75 yards per game during Meyer's first season in 2005.

Meyer said he doesn't care which player runs the football this coming season, as long as the Gators run it well. Meyer said his goal each season is for Florida to run for at least 1,700 yards, and really doesn't care how much of the production comes from tailbacks.

"When we line up Percy Harvin in the backfield, he's one of the best tailbacks in America," Meyer said.

So is Tebow, who ran the ball 210 times last season, more than twice as many carries as Kestahn Moore, the team's leading tailback, who ran for 580 yards and six touchdowns in 2007. Moore, a senior from Arlington, Texas, carried 53 times in the first four games last season. But Moore was plagued by fumbles and ran six times or fewer in seven of the last nine games.

"What we always want to do is to use what we have," Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen said. "Wherever we've been, and I've been with [Meyer] at Bowling Green and Utah, we always tweak the system to what we have. At Utah, we had two big tailbacks and they both ran for more than 700 yards. Since we've been here, we haven't had a big, dominating tailback. We've had some fast guys. We just want the best players out there. If we have two great tailbacks, we'll play two tailbacks. If we have one great tailback that's really fast, we'll try to get him on the edge. If we have a big tailback that's really powerful, we'll let him take the inside runs. We're looking for that flexibility so we can match to the personnel we have in our program."

No Gator has been better at running the football than Tebow, who last season became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy. Tebow ran the ball at least 10 times in 11 of 13 games in 2007, including 27 carries in a 30-24 win at Ole Miss and 26 carries in a 51-31 victory at South Carolina.

"Right now, I'm as healthy as I've been since I've been in college, which feels really good," Tebow said. "I feel 100 percent and ready to go. I'm more healthy now than I was going into last season. Some of the runs we'll save for certain situations, but you're playing football. You're going to get hit. You can't worry about that. The day you start worrying about whether you're going to get hit and hurt is the day you'll get hurt. It's very, very true. You just have to go out there and play and not even worry about it."

[+] Enlarge

Chris Livingston/Icon SMI

Tim Tebow has been the one carrying the rushing load for the Gators.

Mullen said Tebow might run the football as often this coming season, even though he probably was hit more often than any quarterback in the country in 2007.

"Tim can take those hits, but you just don't want him to take those big hits," Mullen said. "Part of what you want to do is save him and keep him fresh for when he needs to run. As a quarterback, any hit you take standing in the pocket can ruin your day. I think he's really more protected when he's actually running the ball because he's delivering a lot of the blows instead of taking them. I think one of the things we need to do is make sure he doesn't carry the ball all the time in the first half. If we can save his carries, as the game moves on and if we want to kill the clock in the fourth quarter, then he's fresh and not worn down from carrying it so much in the first half."

For that to happen, Moody might have to improve quickly. The sophomore was one of the country's most highly recruited players in 2005, and he chose the Trojans over scholarship offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Miami and dozens of other schools. When he decided to leave USC after only one season, Moody also considered transferring to Texas, Oklahoma State or North Carolina.

For now, though, Moore remains Florida's starting tailback, with Moody battling freshmen Chris Rainey and sophomores Brandon James and Mon Williams for carries behind him.

"When coach Meyer recruited me, he told me Percy and Tebow were running the ball a lot because they felt like they didn't have the tailbacks," Moody said. "I'm not coming in here saying I'm going to be the quick fix, but I came here with the expectations that I can really help out in that area. We have great backs, even though they say there isn't a lot of production. There are great backs here at Florida. The reason why there hasn't been production, I really don't know why."

Mullen isn't sure why Moody hasn't been more productive this spring. After enrolling at Florida last fall, Moody was allowed to practice and attend team meetings. The coaching staff expected him to have a good grasp of the offense once spring practice began.

"He's struggling picking it up, which is the only frustrating thing for the staff right now," Mullen said. "I see flashes. He's showing toughness and is running the ball hard. He's just not playing at full speed all the time because he's not comfortable with everything that's going on. He's a smart guy. He's very analytical, so if he doesn't understand what's going on, it doesn't flow naturally. Some guys just go out and play, but he needs to know what he's doing."

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

Maybe he should have went to UNC???? He woulda been the man out there....

U sure, UNC Frosh RBs were Good last yr.

Moody is NOT that good,

I told yall when he first left USC, he jumped outta the Pan into the Fire by goin to UF
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That article was a little harsh. He has been picking things up well during the last week or so.

Back
Top Bottom