smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

_'s look like action figures...

And Cush got them steroid pimples like Triple H
smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
I assume you've never seen steroid pimples, cuz he doesn't have them. Steroid pimples are NASTY and big as hell

I dont think Mays is juicing, he's been a freak since HS, Cushing on the other hand is another story but who knows USC has one hell of a strength programunder Coach Carlisle

Phil Steele has started his Top 25 countdown, so far..

25. Pitt
24. FSU
23. Tennessee
22. Oregon
21. Wisconsin

I love gambling on college football more than the sport itself...so Steele is #1 in my book. National preview Mag goes on sale in June.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Phil Steele has started his Top 25 countdown, so far..

25. Pitt
24. FSU
23. Tennessee
22. Oregon
21. Wisconsin

I love gambling on college football more than the sport itself...so Steele is #1 in my book. National preview Mag goes on sale in June.

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

More: Southern Miss RB is a rising star| Summer should be full of questions
May 28, 2008
[h1]Ranking college football's scariest defenders[/h1]
Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer
»
pdb05_camera.gif
Gallery: Ten scariestdefensive players |
mediaicons_video.gif
InAction: Scary defenders
Some hit with teeth-rattling impact. Some swoop down on quarterbacks like buzzards on road kill. Others have so much big-play ability that quarterbacks onlythrow in their direction as a last resort - that is, if they throw that way at all.

Putting together a list of college football's scariest defensive players isn't easy because scary has different definitions. Some may be physicallyimposing. Some are just athletically intimidating.
[table][tr][td]
GREGHARDY250_0527.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Hardy racked up 10 sacks for Ole Miss last season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Scary doesn't necessarily translate to best, either, because all coaches want players that are efficient and consistent.
Still, there are players who can wreck a play, wreck a running back and make a quarterback a nervous wreck. Here's the list.

10. Malcolm Jenkins, CB,Ohio State: He's a two-time All-Big Ten selection, and opponents think twice before throwingJenkins' way. The problem there, though, is that the Buckeyes often will have him change sides to face the opponents' best receiver. Jenkins, who has4.3 speed, has grabbed four interceptions in each of the past two seasons, and last year posted 47 tackles.

9. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss, DE: Though playing just 10 games as a sophomore last season and starting only four, Hardyposted 10 sacks and had 18.5 tackles for losses, which is second-most among players returning in '08. His 63 total tackles last season were the most amongSEC linemen. Hardy, a 6-foot-4, 265-pounder who also has played for the Ole Miss basketball team, should be better in '08 with a year of experience behindhim.

8. Brandon Spikes, Florida, LB: At 6-3 and 245 pounds, Spikes is an intimidating presence at middle linebacker. In hisfirst year as a starter last season, he posted 131 tackles, including 81 unassisted, and earned All-SEC recognition. He posted at least seven tackles in everygame and never had fewer than three solo stops. Spikes also had 16 tackles for losses.

7. George Hypolite, Colorado, DT: The fact that, physically, Hypolite isn't overly imposing at 6-1 and 285 pounds,and that he's active in community relations may make one question just how scary he is. But tell that to guards who try to block him one-on-one. Lastseason, Hypolite earned All-Big 12 acclaim while posting 44 tackles, including 33 solo stops - an impressive number for an interior defensive lineman. He had6.5 sacks, which was the most by a Colorado defensive tackle in five seasons.

6. Maurice Evans, PennState, DE: Last season, Evans ranked among the nation's top eight in sacks (12.5), tackles for loss (21.5) and forced fumbles (five).Not a bad trifecta. He also had 54 tackles, deflected three passes and returned a fumble 55 yards en route to earning All-Big Ten honors. Penn State ranked No.11 in the nation in total defense last season, and Evans was a major reason.

5. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest, CB: As if eight interceptions weren't impressive enough, Smith also returnedthree of them for touchdowns (against Boston College, Maryland and Duke). His touchdown against the Terps covered 100 yards. Plus, he broke up 10 passes, sothrowing at him obviously takes courage. Smith also forced four fumbles, meaning he was personally responsible for creating 12 turnovers last season. For goodmeasure, he posted 44 tackles, including three sacks.

4. Ricky Jean-Francois,LSU, DT: So how does a guy who posted just nine tackles last season get on this list? Well, when six comein the national championship game, that's a good start. Suspended for the regular season, Jean-Francois returned in the postseason and showed the Tigerswhat they'd been missing. He was solid in the SEC championship victory over Tennessee, then spectacular in the national championship win over Ohio State,when he added 1.5 tackles for loss, shared a sack and blocked a field-goal attempt. By the way, his nine tackles in two games would have projected to 63 stopsover the course of last season, just six fewer than Glenn Dorsey posted.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
REYMAUALUGA250_0108.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]US PRESSWIRE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Linebacker Rey Maualuga is an imposing force on the USC defense.[/td] [/tr][/table]3. Eric Berry, Tennessee, S: A safety with great coverage skills always poses a problem. One who also is a strongtackler is a major headache. That would describe Berry, who last season posted 86 tackles, five interceptions, four pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and aforced fumble - and all that as a true freshman. He had 222 yards in interception returns, which was second-most in the country and broke a 37-yard oldTennessee record.
2. George Selvie, SouthFlorida, DE: A speed rusher who can also mix it up physically, Selvie wrapped up awards last season like he did sacks - in abundance. Hewas a consensus All-American, the Big East defensive player of the year and a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, as well asreceiving several other honors after posting the greatest defensive season in school history. He was second in the nation in sacks with 14.5 and led thecountry with 31.5 tackles for losses. He also forced three fumbles and blocked a kick. He was at his best against top competition, posting 3.5 tackles for lossand 1.5 sacks against Auburn and a sack against West Virginia.

1. Rey Maualuga, USC, LB: The 6-3, 250-pound Maualuga is physically imposing - and just plain looks mean. His playmeasures up to his stature. A two-time All-Pac-10 selection, Maualuga is a punishing hitter who led the Trojans in tackles last season despite being limited attimes by a painful hip pointer. He posted 10.5 tackles for losses and six sacks while accumulating 79 tackles last season. This season will mark his third asUSC's starting middle linebacker.

Others Considered: Jasper Brinkley,LB, South Carolina; Patrick Chung, S, Oregon; Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois; Auston English, DE, Oklahoma; Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU; James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State; Joe Lefeged, DB, Rutgers; Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn; Taylor Mays, S, USC; Scott McKillop, LB, Pittsburgh; Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana; Fili Moala, DT, USC; Derek Pegues, S, Mississippi State.

TRIVIA QUESTION

Who is the last lineman to be named conference offensive player of the year for any of the "Big Six" conferences. (Answer at the end of thecolumn.)

QUICK HITTERS

• Freshman E.J. Manuel, the second-rankeddual-threat quarterback prospect in the 2008 recruiting class, said he's planning to play for Florida State thisseason. He told a Florida newspaper, "(I'm) preparing my mind, preparing my body and everything so that when the opportunity comes, I take advantageof it." Quarterback play has been largely blamed for the Seminoles' mediocrity in recent seasons.
[table][tr][td]
EJMANUELJD200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Could E.J. Manuel be the answer to Florida State's quarterback issues?[/td] [/tr][/table]• Defensive end Jeffrey Fitzgerald, a two-year starter atVirginia, is transferring to Kansas State. He will sitout the 2008 season and be eligible in 2009. Fitzgerald, who had 73 tackles and seven sacks last season, apparently is leaving Virginia for "personalreasons." Kansas State coach Ron Prince was offensivecoordinator at Virginia before going to Manhattan three years ago.
• A points system Minnesota plans to use to sell football tickets is drawing criticism. "Gopher Points," which are accumulated byyears of holding season tickets and the amount of donations, will be used to determine who can purchase seats between the 20-yard lines at the new TCF BankStadium, which opens in 2009. The option to purchase those tickets would require as much as $500 over the cost of the ticket.

• Junior college running back Nick Booth has signed with Arizona and figures to provide depth behind starting tailback Nicolas Grigsby. Booth rushed for 1,090 yards last season at College of DuPage inGlen Ellyn, Ill.

• Washington and LSU have agreed to a home-and-home series, beginning next season. The Huskies will open the 2009 season athome against LSU, then will visit Baton Rouge on Sept. 29, 2012.

•The NCAA granted a sixth year of eligibility to Washington State defensive end Matt Mullennix, who missed the 2006 season and most of the '04 season with kneeinjuries.

TRIVIA ANSWER

Ohio State tackle Orlando Pace in 1996 was the last offensive linemen from a "Big Six" conference to be named offensive player of the year.

»
pdb05_camera.gif
Gallery: Ten scariestdefensive players |
mediaicons_video.gif
InAction: Scary defenders

F405707.jpg

F405708.jpg

F405709.jpg

F405710.jpg

F405711.jpg

F405712.jpg

F405713.jpg

F405714.jpg

F405715.jpg

F405706.jpg

pimp.gif

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- North Carolina A&T State University said a football player died from complications of heat illness on Tuesday.

The school said Wednesday that senior Chad Wiley collapsed after a voluntary workout on campus Tuesday. Officials said he was transported to a hospitalafter an athletic trainer stabilized him.

The 22-year-old from Black Mountain was a two-year starter on the offensive line.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

damn RIP

The SEC Network? Coming soon?

As long as they learn from the mistakes of the Big 10 Network and make sure they've got 100% distribution from launch, I'm down with it.

CBS and ESPN would keep their games. Raycom might lose theirs...which should bother nobody. (Well, I guess those people who don't have cable...but %%+*,it's 2008. C'mon...)

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/05/28/sectv_0529.html

Destin, Fla. - The SEC is about to make one of the biggest decisions in its 75-year history.
Simply put: Given the enormous popularity of its sports programs has the time come for the conference to create its own television network?

The SEC's football and basketball contacts with its three television partners - CBS, ESPN, and Raycom (formerly Lincoln-Financial) - expire next spring. Negotiations on new deals are under way and conference officials have told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the SEC hopes to have new contracts in place by late summer or early fall.

Part of those negotiations, however, is the SEC's option to create its own network as two other conferences - The Big Ten and the Mountain West - have done. The SEC has been pondering this idea for several years but now it is time to decide.

"The charge we have received from our institutions is to explore two models when it comes to the future of TV in our conference," commissioner Mike Slive said. "One is the traditional route that we have now. The second is to incorporate an SEC network that gives us a greater opportunity for exposure for all of our sports."

Because of the sensitivity of these negotiations, the SEC has asked its members not to discuss the television issues in any kind of detail this week. But Georgia athletics director Damon Evans believes than an SEC TV network is something that must be considered.

"It's a very complicated issue and there are a lot of things you must balance," Evans said. "But I'm the athletics director at Georgia and that means I want to see Georgia on TV as much as possible. Maybe the time is not right to do it now. But this is a discussion we have to have."

This much everyone can agree on. An SEC TV network would give the conference more exposure and bring in more money - perhaps a lot more money.

Neither the Big Ten Network (BTN) nor The Mtn. (Mountain West Sports Network) has turned a profit since they were launched. But the contracts guarantee the conferences will get their money no matter what. In the case of the Big Ten, which signed a 20-year deal with Fox, each school gets an additional $7 million per year.

"Some of our schools have used that money to build facilities and others have used it on the academic side," said Mike Vest, a spokesman for the Big Ten Network. "Over the life of the contract it is a significant boost to the schools."

If the SEC creates its own TV network, CBS and ESPN would still get the early picks among SEC football games. An SEC TV network would kick in on the next tier of games to which Raycom now owns the rights.

So if anybody should be nervous right now, it is Raycom.

"We have a long standing relationship as a television partner with the SEC and we look forward to continuing that relationship," said Jimmy Rayburn, the executive producer for SEC football for Raycom.

So if the SEC network gives the league more exposure and more money then why not do it?

Three problems: Distribution. Distribution. Distribution.

When the Big Ten Network was launched, the league did not have a deal with a major cable TV provider. As a result only about a third of the people in the Big Ten footprint could actually get the BTN. Commissioner Jim Delany caught a lot of heat from fans. The Big Ten will soon sign a deal with Comcast that will solve most of its distribution problems.

But if the SEC launches a network it will require almost 100 percent distribution on Day 1.

Example: The 2007 Alabama-Tennessee game was on Lincoln-Financial. What would have happened if that game had been on the SEC TV network and, because of distribution problems, some fans in those states could not see it?

"In the Big Ten something like that would make people mad," said one TV executive who asked that his name be withheld. "In the SEC there would have been bodily injury."

A number of suitors have indicated that they would be more than willing to help the SEC with its distribution issues. Atlanta-based FSN South, which also owns SportSouth, already has the infrastructure in place as it reaches 21 million homes in SEC territory.

"I will simply say that we are interested in discussing whatever TV model the SEC decides to pursue," said Jeff Genthner, the senior vice-president of FSN South.

CSS, which is also based in Atlanta, would like to use its partnership with cable companies Comcast and Charter Communications as leverage to get the SEC to look its way if it creates a network.

"All I can say is that we would hope to be a part of those discussions," said Mark Fuhrman, the general manager at CSS.

But at the end of the day, the SEC may decide that the current TV model works just fine. The league had 48 conference football games last season. All but nine were broadcast live by their current TV partners. The SEC made $43 million from televised football last season. It could be that the mere possibility of an SEC network is leverage enough to get the kind of deal they want.

"It's an interesting time to be sure," Slive said. "All I can tell you is to stay tuned."

isnt LFS basically the SEC & ACC Network rite now?
they do both ACC & SEC 12:30 games on seperate channels,

SEC needs to keep the broadcast sched. the same if they do go for their own network

quote]But at the end of the day, the SEC may decide that the current TV model works just fine. The league had 48 conference football games last season. All butnine were broadcast live by their current TV partners. The SEC made $43 million from televised football last season. It could be that the merepossibility of an SEC network is leverage enough to get the kind of deal they want. [/quote]

Im thinking this applies

I mean...if there's money to be made, you know the SEC will do this.

As it is now, you can set your watch by the current SEC football TV schedule. LFS at 12:30, CBS at 3:30, ESPN in primetime.

And nobody (players/coaches/fans) wants that 12:30 game. Especially if you're playing @ a Western division school. Them 11:30 start times are terrible. Iwent to a game at Auburn a couple years back...they were selling eggs/sausage/grits plates at the concession stand. (It hit the spot too, since I'd beendrinking for about 12 hours straight...
laugh.gif
)

Another idea coming out of the SEC meetings...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3416345

DESTIN, Fla. -- If the majority of SEC head football coaches have their way, the recruiting period will be split into two different signing days.
The coaches voted by a 9-3 count Wednesday at the SEC spring meetings to add an early signing day in late November. This 24-hour period for prospects to sign early would fall on the Monday before the contact period begins, which during a normal year would come during the week of Thanksgiving.

The next step is for the SEC's athletic directors and presidents to sign off on the proposal and then sponsor it on a national level. Most of the coaches agree that it would probably be at least a year before an early signing day would go into effect, and that's assuming the proposal passes.

"I certainly think it makes sense," Kentucky's Rich Brooks said. "But I've seen a 12-0 vote by the coaches before on certain things, and it never passed. So we'll see." The three coaches who voted against the early signing day were Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, Florida's Urban Meyer and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier.

"I think recruiting should be done in December, January and February," Meyer said. "I think it speeds up 17- and 18-year-olds to make a decision that affects the rest of their lives. To squeeze them, to press them, to say you've got to get it done now and I just don't believe in that. "My daughter is going through recruiting right now. If someone ever does that to her, it's going to be a tough phone call. Take your time. Take your trips."

A year ago, the SEC coaches voted 9-3 against adding an early signing day. But the new proposal includes some specific language that swayed several coaches to vote in favor of it this year. In particular, any prospect that has already made an official visit to a school would be precluded from signing early.

"The majority of the coaches do not want to change the culture of the season as it is right now," Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom said. "This allows kids to sign early where we don't have to continually recruit a kid who wants to sign, but still not change the process from what it already is. We're totally opposed to any other [early] signing day other than the way we have it worded."

The current signing day for football falls on the first Wednesday in February. One of the reasons most of the SEC coaches favor an early signing period is because so many prospects commit early and then hold everybody hostage as they look around in January and February. Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer at one time opposed an early signing period because he felt it would be a disadvantage for the Vols in that they do so much national recruiting. "But as recruiting has continued to move up, there's really no reason you can't get some of the guys off the board and not have to spend that time and money babysitting kids the entire month of January," Fulmer said.

Croom points out many more prospects are already taking unofficial visits during the summer and fall months. The SEC's new proposal would allow prospects to continue taking unofficial visits where they pay their own way and still be eligible to sign early. But if a prospect takes an official visit, one that's paid for by a school, he would be locked into having to sign in February. "He can take all the unofficial visits he wants," Croom said. "They're already doing it. That was our point. A lot of these kids have gone on unofficial visits. They've seen the academic counselor. They've seen everything there is to see. They want to get the signing out of the way. If we can get that out of the way, now we don't have to go and call that kid every day and go to his high school every week. We can be recruiting somebody else."

Petrino's argument against the early signing day is that the Razorbacks have to do so much of their recruiting outside the state. "Guys in favor of it have 40, 50 or 60 Division I players in their state," Petrino said. "We have to go out and battle and go on the road and recruit every state."

Spurrier's beef is that another signing day would only take away from the actual season, especially with so many fans clamoring for any morsal of recruiting information they can get their hands on.

Alabama's Nick Saban, still peeved about head coaches being taken off the road during the spring recruiting period, likes the proposal. But he also knows it will still be scrutinized.

"All coaches seem to be paranoid, and they're all worried about what the other guy is going to do," said Saban, who's gotten around the spring rule by using video conferencing to talk with prospects. "So everybody is going to have to go back and digest how this affects them and who has the greatest advantage.

"The rules are all the same for everybody. So whether it's an advantage to Georgia because they've got a lot of players in state, or Florida, because they have a lot of players in state & I'd just as soon they get them out of the way so we can go get the other guys. I see it as an advantage for us, too. Everybody knows I'm crazy, thinks I'm crazy. So what I think doesn't really matter."

I'm inclined to favor this one...but only because it's Spurrier, Meyer, and that +%%%# Petrino who voted against it.
laugh.gif

Petrino is pretty a chump as far as Im concerned, but he's right, If u got 30+ **** high school athletes in your state of course U dont mind an earlysigning day.

The SEC conference Brass are beginning to feel themselves a bit much.

Well, Phil Steele did lose me now...

I'll still pick up the mag cause it's the best available and he usually does a good job....but uh...

More of his Top 25 revealed..

20.Cal
19.Notre Dame
eek.gif
laugh.gif

18.South Carolina
17.BYU

Everyone needs to stop hyping up SC. They can't be the 18th best team in the nation. They don't have a QB. Yeah their D has the potential of beingreally nice next year, but when your best Offensive player is your kicker, you got problems.

Plus they got UGA, UT, Fla, Clem, and LSU on the schedule.

From experience..the big10 network is a complete disaster and I really hope the sec doesnt end up like the b10. Plus, Verne to me, is synonymous with the secon saturdays
pimp.gif

Wiz, u in my gad damn head,

So Car at 18 is Lunacy!

Iye2, Yall gotta do somethin bout that damn Big Ten network ASAP.
Lucky for the SEC, CBS & ESPN will still get the pick of top games so they cant sreally screw this up, its just the 2nd tier games may not be on LincolnFinancial anymore, which sucks, cuz they did a decent job and had unbiased TV crews in the booth.

I wish CBS would replace Verne with Ron Franklin. He has the perfect voice for the SEC. ESPN also needs to replace Mike Patrick. Let's hope they don'thave the Taste of the Town this year. ABC or CBS also needs to pick up Charles Davis IMO he is the best analyst besides Gary Danielson.

Back
Top Bottom