¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

Originally Posted by Jwill JR

"can't stand tOSU but Devier is my boy, I hope he balls this year. tOSU heads know if he'll get any burn this year?"

I dont think so.. no need to waste his redshirt year... we have a SOLID core of WR, but I do think that there will be some up and comers that will break out.. I still think Taurian Washington will have a breakout year and be one of the next top WRs for tOSU

I dont think there's anyway he'll redshirt. He could very well, at the least, return kicks. But, I agree w/ you on TWash. I think he's gonnabreak out.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee signed football coach Phillip Fulmer and basketball coach Bruce Pearl to new deals Wednesday that will keep them with the Volunteers through 2014.
someone get the clap gift out. we a lock to beat these bums 2 years in a row and them fools and winning a title no time soon.
laugh.gif

15 years is a long time to go without an SEC championship...
laugh.gif

IVEY you dont think he will redshirt? I just think there is alot of talent at WR and to have him just returning punts/kickoffs, I would rather see Lamaar backthere because he also could split at a rb/fb and throw him in there with TP on some special formations would down right SICK...

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee signed football coach Phillip Fulmer and basketball coach Bruce Pearl to new deals Wednesday that will keep them with the Volunteers through 2014.
someone get the clap gift out. we a lock to beat these bums 2 years in a row and them fools and winning a title no time soon.
laugh.gif

We discussed this in my College Sports class last fall. Fulmer has the same type of contract that Texas A&M's last football coach had. It getsextended one year for every year hes still the coach. its to prevent other teams from hiring the coach and if they do they gotta buy out all those years

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

We discussed this in my College Sports class last fall. Fulmer has the same type of contract that Texas A&M's last football coach had. It gets extended one year for every year hes still the coach. its to prevent other teams from hiring the coach and if they do they gotta buy out all those years

Why Texas A&M gave Fran's sorry @!! a contract like that...I have no clue. It's a pretty smart way to set up a contract if you have a big namecoach, though.

Originally Posted by IYE2

"can't stand tOSU but Devier is my boy, I hope he balls this year. tOSU heads know if he'll get any burn this year?"

I dont think so.. no need to waste his redshirt year... we have a SOLID core of WR, but I do think that there will be some up and comers that will break out.. I still think Taurian Washington will have a breakout year and be one of the next top WRs for tOSU

I dont think there's anyway he'll redshirt. He could very well, at the least, return kicks. But, I agree w/ you on TWash. I think he's gonna break out.
Yea, that's a good start and it'll only lead to more burn.

Vandy is recruiting Jerome Brown's nephew heavily. Hopefully, we get him and he turns out to be half of the player he was.

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

laugh.gif

We discussed this in my College Sports class last fall. Fulmer has the same type of contract that Texas A&M's last football coach had. It gets extended one year for every year hes still the coach. its to prevent other teams from hiring the coach and if they do they gotta buy out all those years

I think part of it is to show recruits stability and at least give them the impression that the coach/staff they sign with is gonna be there for theirwhole time with the program.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

I dont think there's anyway he'll redshirt. He could very well, at the least, return kicks. But, I agree w/ you on TWash. I think he's gonna break out.

They said he's burned Malcolm a couple times in practice. I think he'll work his way in. He was arguably the best hs receiver last yr.

who is going to want to hire Fulmer tho?
[table][tr][td]2000[/td] [td]6-6-0[/td] [td]3-5-0[/td] [td]Sun Bowl[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001[/td] [td]7-4-0[/td] [td]4-4-0[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2002[/td] [td]7-5-0[/td] [td]4-4-0[/td] [td]Las Vegas Bowl win with Ed Kezerian coaching[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2003[/td] [td]6-7-0[/td] [td]4-4-0[/td] [td]Silicon Valley Bowl[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2004[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]T-5th L Las Vegas - -[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2005[/td] [td]10-2[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]3rd W Sun 13 16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2006[/td] [td]7-6[/td] [td]5-4[/td] [td]4th L Emerald - -[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]5-4[/td] [td]T-4th L Las Vegas, Dorrell left before the bowl game[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif

Looks like UCLA should be at the top of the list
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

Slipping in at #30...

I kinda like this report. The basics to this football team are pretty much covered.

[table][tr][td]Coach: Rich Rodriguez (first season; 105-62-2 overall in 15 seasons) | Staff
In 2007: 9-4 overall, 6-2 in Big Ten (tied for second in league).
Returning starters: Offense: 2. Defense: 7. Special teams: 1 | Depth Chart
Key losses: Offense-WR Adrian Arrington, C/G Justin Boren, TB Mike Hart, QB Chad Henne, G/G Adam Kraus, T Jake Long, WR Mario Manningham. Defense-SS Jamar Adams, LB Shawn Crable, FS Brandent Englemon, LB Chris Graham.
Final 2007 Rivals.com ranking: 19th. | Complete Final 2007 Rankings[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://OFFENSE

THE SCHEME: Get ready for a radical change, as new coach Rich Rodriguez has implemented his spread-option offense. While most spreads feature the pass,Rodriguez's version is heavy on the run. But the idea is the same: make opponents defend every inch of the field. The days of big, tall,stand-in-the-pocket quarterback are over at Michigan.
[table][tr][td]
THREETGOOD250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fans will be interested to see how well Steven Threet can run Michigan's new offense.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Honestly, the star power on offense is dim. The guy who could have a huge year is junior tight end Carson Butler. Rodriguez's West Virginia offense typically never featured thetight end, but he says that won't be the case in Ann Arbor. Butler is a good one. He's big and fast, making him an inviting target in an offense thatoften may look to make the quick, short pass as it keeps things basic during a transition year.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Chad Henne, the school's leading career passer, is gone. Ditto former five-star star quarterback Ryan Mallett, who got one look at this offense and bolted forArkansas. That vaulted redshirt freshman Steven Threet -who signed with Georgia Tech in 2007, enrolled early, then left after spring practice - to the top of the depth chart. He is smart and has a nice arm, butisn't as athletic as you'd want for this offense. Backup Nick Sheridan is better-suited athletically for the attack, but he can't pass. Thatopens the door for incoming freshman JustinFeagin. As a wild card, don't be shocked if running back Brandon Minor takes some snaps at quarterback on occasion as coaches search for aPat White -type quarterback.

IT'S HIS TIME: Mario Manningham? Gone. Adrian Arrington? Gone. Now, junior Greg Mathews is poised to be the top receiver, though being a wide receiver at Michiganhas lost some cachet in this offense. Still, Rodriguez says he is going to utilize the pass. Mathews, who snagged 39 passes last season as the No. 3 option, ispoised to be the man. Getting pushed by standout incoming freshman Darryl Stonum should make Mathews better, too.

STRONGEST AREA: There is a nice collection of running backs with Minor, Kevin Grady and Carlos Brown. Grady is a bull who missed last season with a knee injury. Brown is ago-the-distance guy, while Minor is effective inside and outside. Incoming freshman Sam McGuffie also could play immediately. Rodriguez may use two tailbacks atthe same time, so there should be plenty of work for these guys.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The line is in shambles. Things were bad enough with three starters gone, including all-world left tackle Jake Long - whowas the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft. But the issues grew larger when another returning starter - Justin Boren - left school in a huff in the spring and transferred to Ohio State. Borendeparted Ann Arbor muttering about a lack of "family values." Whatever. Rodriguez and his staff are left trying to piece together a representativeunit that must utilize its quickness in this scheme. Sophomore right tackle Stephen Schilling will be the cornerstone of a group that must develop quickly for theoffense to have any hope for success. A modicum of good news: The four projected new starters are upperclassmen.

OVERVIEW: Rodriguez says he isn't going to ask his quarterback to do anything he's not capable of. It's theround-peg-in-a-square-hole philosophy. And he has run his spread option in the past with quarterbacks who weren't cut from a dynamic, athletic cloth. Buteveryone knows there's more giddy-up and glitz to this scheme when a quick signal-caller is running things. And that dimension looks as if it will bemissing - unless a true freshman proves to be a revelation. Add a patchwork line to the uncertainty under center, and you have a prescription for an offensethat appears destined to struggle.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_hiddennumber_30.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]That's the number of players who had eligibility remaining who have left the program since Rich Rodriguez arrived. Michigan also has just nine non-special teams starters back, the fewest in the Big Ten.[/td] [/tr][/table]
GRADE: C.
http://DEFENSE

THE SCHEME: This will be a 4-3 alignment that doesn't figure to have to blitz and stunt often, given the amount of talent and speed.But coordinator Scott Shafer will pick his spots to attack andbring pressure, even sending safeties and cornerbacks.

STAR POWER: It's all about cornerback Donovan Warren, who impressed as a freshman last season. This season, Warren looks toemerge as one of the nation's top shutdown corners. At 6 feet and 180 pounds, Warren has the size to support the run while matching up with big receivers.This guy could be special.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: It will be difficult for any newcomers to make much of an impact with this veteran unit. But a guy with a greatopportunity is redshirt freshman end Ryan Van Bergen. Heturned heads in the spring, catching the eye of coaches with a relentless work ethic. Van Bergen is the first guy to arrive at practice and a real student ofthe game. And Van Bergen can play any spot on the line, giving him a chance to crack a deep unit.
[table][tr][td]
WARJUBE250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Cornerback Donovan Warren appears ready to become a star as a sophomore.[/td] [/tr][/table]IT'S HIS TIME: Everyone in Ann Arbor is jacked about junior free safety Steve Brown. He endured a rocky 2007 but has shown signs he's ready to emerge as aplaymaker from the back of the secondary. Brown has a great combination of size (6-0/209) and speed, and just needs to put it all together.
STRONGEST AREA: With three starters back, the line may be the best in the Big Ten. The anchor is tackle Terrance Taylor, who is a fireplug in the middle. Will Johnson is ready to emerge as a force next to Taylor inside. The end tandem ofBrandon Graham and Tim Jamison may be fearsome; the duo combined for 14 sacks last season. The keys arekeeping Jamison healthy and getting Graham to play hard every down.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: All eyes are on the linebackers. Obi Ezeh is back to start inside, but he'll be flanked by two newstarters. If he can hold off a challenge from MarellEvans, Jonas Mouton is primed to break out on theweakside after an ankle injury ruined most of his 2007 season. Austin Panter has to show he's ready on the strongside after arriving from a juniorcollege last season.

OVERVIEW: With seven starters back - including new strong safety Brandon Harrison, who started nine games at cornerback/nickelback last season - and loadsof talent, defense will be the Wolverines' strong suit. At least it better be, because the unit likely will have to cover often for an offense that will beusing training wheels most of the fall. The biggest fear: being on the field too often. And that could happen if the new offense sputters and endures a lot ofthree-and-outs.

GRADE: A.

http://SPECIAL TEAMS

The return jobs likely won't be sorted out until August, when a gaggle of athletic recruits comes to campus. At least the staff knows it has no worriesin the kicking department. Zoltan Mesko may be one of thenation's top punters. Kicker K.C. Lopata is moresteady than powerful, nailing 11 of 12 field-goal attempts in 2007. That should be enough to give him the edge over Bryan Wright, who has a stronger leg but lacks accuracy. Jason Gingell is back, too. He opened last season as the starter but faded.

GRADE: B.

http://COACHING

No one will be more relieved finally to play a game than Rodriguez, who has been in the headlines all offseason since his messy departure from WestVirginia. That's all history now. Rodriguez gets to unleash his innovative offense on the Big Ten. Rodriguez has proven to be one of the nation'sbrightest offensive minds, and he's also an underrated motivator. Offensive coordinator Calvin Magee followed Rodriguez to Ann Arbor. Magee is Rodriguez's right-hand man, a guywho knows how to teach and coach this offense. Magee is a head-coach-in-waiting. Rodriguez lured defensive coordinator Shafer from Stanford, where he coachedjust one year. Shafer - who coordinated Western Michigan's defense before going to Stanford - is a rising star who has earned a reputation for scheming. Hemay not have to draw up as many fancy Xs and Os now that he'll be playing with a deck loaded with talent.

GRADE: B+.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_08schedule_30.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aug. 30[/td] [td]Utah[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 6[/td] [td]Miami University[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 13[/td] [td]at Notre Dame[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 27[/td] [td]Wisconsin[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 4[/td] [td]Illinois[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 11[/td] [td]Toledo[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 18[/td] [td]at Penn State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 25[/td] [td]Michigan State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 1[/td] [td]at Purdue[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 8[/td] [td]at Minnesota[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 15[/td] [td]vs. Northwestern[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 22[/td] [td]at Ohio State[/td] [/tr][/table]

http://SCHEDULE

Last year, Appalachian State shocked the world by dumping Michigan in Ann Arbor in the season-opener. This year, the Wolverines open the season at home vs.Utah. Uh-oh. That's right: Michigan could lose its opener for a second season in a row. While there isn't as much shame in losing to the Utes, it stillwould sting - and stink. If the Utah game isn't a cold glass of water in the face, the trip to revenge-minded Notre Dame could be in Game 3. And the BigTen schedule opens with a rugged 1-2 punch: Wisconsin and Illinois. At least both are at home. After that, there are only two truly scary games: at Penn Stateand at Ohio State. If you're keeping track at home - and I know you are - the Wolverines are 1-6 vs. Jim Tressel and have lost the past three in Columbus.

http://OUTLOOK

The nation won't be able to take its eyes off this experiment, which features one of the nation's hottest and best coaches changing the culture atone of the nation's most storied and stuffiest programs. It's great theatre. Michigan has posted 40 consecutive winning seasons and been to a bowl 33years in a row, current streaks no school can match. Those streaks should continue. But expect some rocky stretches that will result in a trip to a middlingbowl. But be patient, Big Blue fans: Better days are ahead for Rodriguez.

http://
conhead_depthchart_30.jpg

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Steven Threet, 6-6/230, R-Fr.
Nick Sheridan, 6-1/212, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Brandon Minor, 6-1/214, Jr.
Kevin Grady, 5-9/228, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Greg Mathews, 6-3/207, Jr.
Darryl Stonum, 6-2/190, T-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Toney Clemons, 6-3/201, Soph.
Zion Babb, 6-1/189, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Junior Hemingway, 6-1/214, Soph.
LaTerryal Savoy, 6-3/210, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Carson Butler, 6-5/250, Jr.
Mike Massey, 6-5/225, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LT[/td] [td]Mark Ortmann, 6-7/294, Jr.
Bryant Nowicki, 6-9/326, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LG[/td] [td]Tim McAvoy, 6-6/288, Jr.
Mark Huyge, 6-6/292, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]David Moosman, 6-5/292, Jr.
David Molk, 6-2/282, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RG[/td] [td]Cory Zirbel, 6-5/292, Jr.
Mark Huyge, 6-6/292, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RT[/td] [td]Stephen Schilling *, 6-5/295, Soph.
Perry Dorrestein, 6-7/308, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]K.C. Lopata *, 6-2/233, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Carlos Brown, 6-0/213, Jr.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DE[/td] [td]Brandon Graham, 6-2/270, Jr.
Ryan Van Bergen, 6-6/265, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DT[/td] [td]Terrance Taylor *, 6-0/339, Sr.
John Ferrara, 6-4/274, So.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DT[/td] [td]Will Johnson *, 6-5/285, Sr.
Renaldo Sagesse, 6-4/308, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DE[/td] [td]Tim Jamison *, 6-3/263, Sr.
Greg Banks, 6-4/258, So.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SLB[/td] [td]Austin Panter, 6-3/231, Sr.
Brandon Herron, 6-2/218, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]MLB[/td] [td]Obi Ezeh *, 6-2/247, Soph.
John Thompson, 6-1/239, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WLB[/td] [td]Jonas Mouton, 6-2/230, Soph.
Marell Evans, 6-3/231, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Donovan Warren *, 6-0/180, Soph.
Doug Dutch Jr., 5-11/204, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Morgan Trent *, 6-1/188, Sr.
Troy Woolfolk, 6-0/195, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Steve Brown, 6-0/209, Jr.
Michael Williams, 5-11/185, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Brandon Harrison %, 5-9/206, Sr.
Charles Stewart, 6-2/206, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Zoltan Mesko *, 6-5/235, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Greg Mathews, 6-3/207, Jr.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td](NOTE: *--denotes returning starter; %--denotes returning starter who has changed positions.)[/td] [/tr][/table]
Tom Dienhart is a national senior writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

who is going to want to hire Fulmer tho?

Im under the impression most big name coaches have a contract like this. I mean you can ignore his national championship if you want but for the most partthe Vols are always in a position to play for a national championship. We looked at Mack Brown's contract too and I think he has something similar

I would think Grady would receive a game or 2 suspension just for RR to send a message. Apparently KG was a captain of the spring and was one of the guys thatwas getting rave reviews being a leader on the field and the weight room. Really stepping up. Sucks that he was rolling through trashy Wyoming and didn'tstay in EGR where they love the kid. But even if he is punished in house , like Obi Ezeh was last year and Arrington and Manningham (MM was a team cancer thatswhy he was suspended last year for 1 game not the weed) then I do not see why people would be mad. Thats how Carr was doing it but I think RR plays it safe andgives him a game. Which will suck because KG was going for major carries this fall.

Go ahead and suspend Grady for Utah. I don't think we have any advantage with him in there anyways.

Anyways, watching Oregon/U$C of FSN-P right now

Just an FYI...the Scout.com network has all their stuff open for free access this weekend.

AKA there will be no weekend updates
Pretty much. Before I got my account last year I think I tried it and got very little to no info. At the time I was only with Rivals andimmediately said scout sucks... but a little time getting used to it and knowing where to get info and scout comes out on top. Not sure if you have access tothe premium boards with this deal, but in terms of articles all you need to know is basically on the front page.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

They said he's burned Malcolm a couple times in practice. I think he'll work his way in. He was arguably the best hs receiver last yr.
He really was IMO , even though I'm biased sense he's my boy. but, I'd take him over Julio Jones. His routes are smooth and crisp, not muchwasted movement. He'll be gone after 3 years to the L.

If Browneye fans are hoping for Taurian to blow up this year, you might be a little disappointed. I really think you could have gotten a better WR in thatclass. I do not think he was that good of a WR. But who knows.

BTW, whats the word on Mike Adams? Year or just until October?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

He really was IMO , even though I'm biased sense he's my boy. but, I'd take him over Julio Jones.
eek.gif

O Ok, I see now.

laugh.gif
Yeah. Julio was the best WR in that class IMO and it wasn'treally close. He had the total package. AJ Green was close but he needs to gain some serious weight in a hurry to be game ready like Julio. Now that DeAndreBrown is qualified I would put him ahead of Devier as well. Posey is good as hell though.

Back
Top Bottom