¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

[table][tr][td]Coach: Kyle Whittingham (24-14 in three seasons). | Staff
In 2007: 9-4 overall, 5-3 in the Mountain West (tied for third in league).
Returning starters: Offense: 7. Defense: 7. Special teams: 1 | Depth Chart
Key losses: Offense-C Kyle Gunther, WR Brian Hernandez, WR Derrek Richards, WR Marquis Wilson. Defense-E Martail Burnett, LB Joe Jiannoni, NT Gabe Long, LB Malakai Mokofisi, SS Steve Tate.
Final 2007 Rivals.com ranking: 24th. | Complete Final 2007 Rankings[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://OFFENSE

THE SCHEME: Utah has continued to run the spread option after the departure of Urban Meyer. Last season drifted closer to a pro-style offense because of a shoulder injury tosenior quarterback Brian Johnson. With Johnson healthy, hewill be more of a factor in the running game.
[table][tr][td]
BRENTCASTEEL250_0701.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Injuries forced WR Brent Casteel to miss all but two games in 2007.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Utah coaches regard Johnson as the ideal spread-option quarterback. That is, when he is healthy. He was 8-2 as a starter lastseason despite playing with a shoulder injury. He also missed 2006 after ACL surgery. His last healthy season was 2005, when he passed for 2,892 yards and 18touchdowns while running for 478 yards and eight TDs. Johnson was fourth in the nation in total offense that season.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Junior college transfer Aiona Key could provide Utah with the deep threat it was lacking last season.Key started his career at Boise State before catching 80 passes for 1,112 yards at Mt. San Antonio College in California. At 6 feet 4 and 209 pounds, he hasgood size, too.

IT'S HIS TIME: Johnson isn't the only veteran offensive player returning from injury. Senior wide receiver Brent Casteel had a combined 1,026 receiving yards and 12touchdowns (plus 470 rushing yards) in 2005 and '06, but followed Johnson onto the injury list last season. Casteel missed all but two games after an ACLtear. He and Johnson will look to team up for productive senior seasons.

STRONGEST AREA: The running back situation looked bleak last season when junior college transfer Matt Asiata was lost for the year to a broken leg after only four carries. Darrell Mack expected to redshirt but instead was forced intoemergency duty. All he did was run for 1,204 yards, the third-best total in school history. This season, Mack and a healthy Asiata will be available.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The Utes return three starters on the line, including All-Mountain West left tackle Zane Beadles. However, depth may be an issue. Senior guard Corey Seiuli is the only experienced backup. Right guard Robert Conley has all-league potential and is a mauler in the middle. Utah is alsolooking for a new center, with sophomore Zane Taylorexpected to beat out junior Tyler Williams.

OVERVIEW: The last time Johnson was healthy for a full season, Utah led the Mountain West in total offense. Seniors are projected to startat quarterback, running back and wide receiver - to go with veteran first-stringers on the line. If Johnson, Casteel and a tailback are healthy, the Utes cango toe-to-toe with BYU in the league on offense.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_hiddennumber_30.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Utah has won seven consecutive bowl games. Only Boston College has a longer active bowl win streak (eight).[/td] [/tr][/table]
GRADE: B+.
http://DEFENSE

THE SCHEME: Utah plays a 4-3 defense and likes its defensive backs in man coverage. The Utes started in a 4-2-5 set in five games.

STAR POWER: Junior free safety RobertJohnson could be the best member of a talented secondary. After transferring from Los Angeles Southwest College, Johnson had 44 tackles and threeinterceptions despite playing most of the season with a sore shoulder. He has great size at 6-3 and 190.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: Freshman nose tackle David Kruger joins brother Paul on the line. The elder Kruger, a defensiveend, was named to the league's all-freshman team last season. David will try to do the same at tackle, a thin position for the Utes. David Kruger was afour-star prospect out of Orem (Utah) Timpanogos High.
[table][tr][td]
JOEDALE250_0701.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Joe Dale made a game-saving interception and was named MVP of the Poinsettia Bowl win over Navy.[/td] [/tr][/table]IT'S HIS TIME: Junior defensive tackle Kenape Eliapo has been in the regular rotation for the past two seasons but has only threecareer starts to show for it. With end Koa Misi returningto his natural position after playing tackle last season, Utah needs an interior lineman to step up this season.
STRONGEST AREA: Because of Utah's extensive use of the nickel package, there are four returning starters in the secondary for a teamthat led the nation in pass-efficiency defense. Opposing quarterbacks completed 50.5 percent of their passes, with 17 interceptions and nine touchdowns. Juniorcornerback Sean Smith led the team with four interceptions- and may not start. The new strong safety is Joe Dale,who was the Poinsettia Bowl defensive MVP with 12 tackles and an interception. The Utes hope the strong secondary can make up for some shortcomings in thefront seven.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: There's a reason Utah is looking toward true freshman Kruger and career backup Eliapo to emerge - the Utes are weak atdefensive tackle. Only Eliapo (three starts) and GregNewman (two) have starting experience at the position. The numbers are low, but Utah has a good history of developing tackles.

OVERVIEW: Along with shutting down the pass, Utah excelled at stopping opponents behind the line of scrimmage. Paul Kruger (8.5 tackles forloss) and Misi (eight TFL) return, as does junior OLB Stevenson Sylvester (10 TFL). But Sylvester is the only returning starter at linebacker.Still, Utah has the speed on defense necessary to contend for a Mountain West title. If the Utes can stop the run, they could contend for another BCSberth.

GRADE: B.

http://SPECIAL TEAMS

Louie Sakoda was the Rivals.com All-America kicker lastseason and should be the best combo punter/kicker in the country. He has averaged 42.1 yards per punt and made 83.3 percent of his field-goal attempts in histhree-year career. He was 10 of 13 on attempts of at least 40 yards last season. The Utes need to replace Derrek Richards, who led the conference in puntreturns. Sophomore wide receiver Jereme Brooks could takeover both return spots.

http://COACHING

Kyle Whittingham hasn't approached the heights ofUrban Meyer's short stint in Salt Lake City, but he haskept Utah in bowl games. Utah's win total has increased by one in each of Whittingham's three seasons as coach. That trend could continue into 2008.Gary Andersen oversees a defense that has improved each of thepast three seasons. Offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig, aformer coordinator at Oregon and Fresno State, has had his fate tied to injuries at quarterback. But road losses to inferior opponents (a 27-0 loss at 2-10UNLV last season, for example) have been troubling.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_08schedule_30.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aug. 30[/td] [td]at Michigan[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 6[/td] [td]UNLV[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 13[/td] [td]at Utah State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 20[/td] [td]at Air Force[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 27[/td] [td]Weber State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 2[/td] [td]Oregon State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 11[/td] [td]at Wyoming[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 18[/td] [td]Colorado State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 1[/td] [td]at New Mexico[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 6[/td] [td]TCU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 15[/td] [td]at San Diego State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 22[/td] [td]BYU[/td] [/tr][/table]

http://SCHEDULE

Utah has enough marquee names on the schedule to make a run at a BCS game. Lucky for the Utes, too, those games could work in their favor. Utah opens on theroad at Michigan in Rich Rodriguez's first game. Utah alsocatches a rebuilding Oregon State team at home. In conference play, Utah gets the other two contenders, BYU and TCU, at home. But three of the first four gamesare on the road.

http://OUTLOOK

If BYU is the "it" team outside of the major conferences, Utah is the "if" team. If Brian Johnson can stay healthy, if the defense canstage a repeat of 2007, if Utah can defeat Michigan, Oregon State and navigate through the conference schedule … well, let's just say the finale againstarchrival BYU could be huge. Utah needs a lot to go its way in 2008, but a return to a BCS game is possible and a bowl bid of some kind looks to be a surething.

http://
conhead_depthchart_30.jpg

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Brian Johnson*, 6-1/200, Sr.
Corbin Louks, 6-0/195, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Darrell Mack*, 6-0/220, Sr.
Matt Asiata, 5-11/230, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Bradon Godfrey*, 6-3/197, Sr.
Aiona Key, 6-4/209, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Freddie Brown, 6-4/215, Sr.
Elijah Wesson, 5-11/184, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Brent Casteel, 5-10/198, Sr.
Jereme Brooks, 5-7/170, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Colt Sampson, 6-4/250, Sr.
Brad Clifford, 6-4/250, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LT[/td] [td]Zane Beadles*, 6-4/305, Jr.
Walter Watts, 6-2/300, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LG[/td] [td]Caleb Schlauderaff*, 6-4/305, Soph.
Corey Seiuli, 6-3/315, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Zane Taylor, 6-2/305, Soph.
Tyler Williams, 6-1/300, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RG[/td] [td]Robert Conley*, 6-1/310, Sr.
Neli A'asa, 6-2/305, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RT[/td] [td]Dustin Hensel*, 6-7/307, Sr.
Tony Bergstrom, 6-6/290, Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Louie Sakoda*, 5-9/178, Sr.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Jereme Brooks, 5-7/170, Soph.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DE[/td] [td]Koa Misi%, 6-3/263, Jr.
Derrick Shelby, 6-3/245, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Lei Talamaivao, 6-2/285, Soph.
Greg Newman, 6-4/260, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NT[/td] [td]Kenape Eliapo, 6-0/303, Jr.
David Kruger, 6-5/265, Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DE[/td] [td]Paul Kruger*, 6-5/265, Soph.
Greg Newman, 6-4/260, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OLB[/td] [td]Nai Fotu, 6-0/235, Soph.
Chaz Walker, 5-11/220, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]MLB[/td] [td]Mike Wright, 6-2/230, Jr.
Kepa Gaison, 5-10/230, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OLB[/td] [td]Nai Fotu, 6-0/235, Soph.
Chaz Walker, 5-11/220, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Brice McCain*, 5-9/182, Sr.
Justin Jones, 5-9/180, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]RJ Stanford*, 5-11/180, Jr.
Sean Smith*, 6-3/214, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Robert Johnson*, 6-2/195, Jr.
Deshawn Richard, 6-0/195, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Joe Dale, 5-11/197, Jr.
R.J. Rice, 5-8/185, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Louie Sakoda*, 5-9/178, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Jereme Brooks, 5-7/170, Soph.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td](NOTE: *--denotes returning starter; %--denotes returning starter who has changed positions.)[/td] [/tr][/table]
Dave Fox is a national writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

NO IDEA HOW INCREDIBLY PUMPED I AM FOR THIS GAME......

Originally Posted by tmay407

So if recruits are declared ineligible due to not meeting grade requirements or whatever, do they have to go ju-co? Are there any other options?

I read somewhere today that A&M has 4 of its '08 recruits likely to not meet requirements to get in or whatever (2 being Derrick Hall and Tony Jerod, a couple of our best recruits)...

They have to sit out a season unless they redo the credit to get their GPA up to a 1.8. NCAA athletes only need a 1.8. Most of these athletes should dosummer school.

Some one give me some thoughts on how improved these two programs will be (this year)

- UNC

- Minnesota

You got ALL 73 schools in these Major NCAA Conferences. See the most missed!
Or perhaps you want to play again.
Lightwork.
the Big East had me sweating cuz I was in Football Mode,
laugh.gif
smh.gif
at the Big East having schools that dont participate in D1 football (ND included
laugh.gif
)
sick.gif

gonna take some time with them two schools Allen, Minnesota is a long way off UNC is like a yr of Butch's recruits away from going to a lower tier bowlgame

at the Big East having schools that dont participate in D1 football (ND included
laugh.gif
)
sick.gif

It's only a matter of time till it gets separated IMO. Just too big.

Add in schools like Xavier or Temple for Hoops with the Nova's, G'Town, Providence, ST John's, etc

How bout your Colorado squad you were correct on so far in that rebuilding project
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

Colorado gonna have a stick real soon. I told u two yrs. Watch!

I know, I be tryin to tell cats I know what I'm talkin about
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

laugh.gif
)
sick.gif
It's only a matter of time till it gets separated IMO. Just too big.

Add in schools like Xavier or Temple for Hoops with the Nova's, G'Town, Providence, ST John's, etc

How bout your Colorado squad you were correct on so far in that rebuilding project
nerd.gif

Colorado should join the Mountain West or a FCS conference.

Colorado is about to own the Big Xii North while Dan Hawkins is at the reigns...

My Top 15.

1. Ohio State
2. Georgia
3. West Virginia
4. USC
5. Missouri
6. Oklahoma
7. LSU
8. Clemson
9. Florida
10. Auburn
11. Texas Tech
12. Texas
13. South Florida
14. Wisconsin
15. Tennessee

others; Va Tech, Pitt, Kansas, Arizona St, South Florida, Wake Forest, BYU

All American Team

QB - Tim Tebow
RB - Beanie Wells
RB - Knowshon Moreno
WR - Mike Crabtree
WR- Percy Harvin
WR- Arrelious Benn
TE - Travis Beckum

DL - George Selvie
DL - Greg Hardy
DL - Fili Moala
DL - SenDerrick Marks
LB- Animal
LB- Rey
LB- Brandon Spikes
DB- Alphonso Smith
DB - Malcolm Jenkins
DB - Vontae Davis
DB- Eric Berry

Heisman - Beanie Wells

Champion - OSU

...nope I don't think they are the best team. I think Georgia is. But I think OSU goes out to LA and steals one and then, we all know the Big 10schedule...and I think they steal another in the big game, unless Georgia is there.

Originally Posted by after h0urs

http://www.sporcle.com/games/ncaamajorconference.php

Test your conference knowledge. I got 84% on 1st try. NO CHEATING!
You got 70 out of 73 schools in these Major NCAA Conferences. See the most missed!

Providence, Seton Hall, and Marquette. All the other conferences were pretty easy. Was trying to do them in order and mixed up a couple ACC/SEC teams though
frown.gif

Some one give me some thoughts on how improved these two programs will be (this year)

- UNC

- Minnesota

Minnesota will surprise people. Their coach can recruit and he's running the spread in the Big 10. I think thats good for at least one luckywin. I say 4-5 wins this year, better than 1-11 last year.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

If Browneye fans are hoping for Taurian to blow up this year, you might be a little disappointed. I really think you could have gotten a better WR in that class. I do not think he was that good of a WR. But who knows.

BTW, whats the word on Mike Adams? Year or just until October?

TWash is gonna ball out this yr. The last I heard on Adams was october. That was awhile back though.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

- UNC

We should be better. We were very competitive last year with an extremely young team and a new coaching staff. I believe something like 19 of the startersfrom last year are back. Our schedule sets up pretty favorably, with some of the more crucial games at home and being in the weaker ACC division. I think 6wins is well within reach.

Originally Posted by gatorb807

Is there any word on how Darrell Scott is doing at Colorado?

I would imagine that he's tearing it up....But I have yet to read anything about him...
And Allen...You got Regis Benn as a AA already???
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yeah...Colorado is DEFINITELY on the w/ Dan and Cody Hawkins. Not excited about playing them this year. Reminds me of th Naked Gun and Grobe.

Couple of Random thoughts...

I know one thing....If Brandon Lafell from LSU learned to catch over the summer...Him and Demetrius Byrd are gonna be SICK
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. Too bad they don't have a QB.

Auburn running backs are a joke....No way they should have that many quality RB's. Learn to share Tubby.

Will Hill and Major Wright are gonna be SICK by the middle of the season. And Will be the best safety tandem in College nest year (IMO, Said this before too
nerd.gif
)

Anything less than a BCS bowl for Clemson....Is an EXTREME failure.

How much will the loss or Mendenhall and J Lehman hurt the illini???

Oregon returns to mediocrity this year.

WVU's rushing game will be sicker this year for one reason....Noel is not a ({}) (Replacing Reynaud will not be easy though)

Is USF for real? Are they looking to join the big 3, recognition wise??? Grothe is really hit or miss at the QB position.

Will Percy be healthy this year? Will Robert Marve be jesus in a scUM uniform like a lot of fans predict him to be? Will Javorskie Lane cry again this year???
laugh.gif
Does Rutgers fall off the map w/o Ray Rice?? (Shiano is getting talent out of FLA though). What's good with U$C ??? (Team Mustain Movement: 'GetDown or Touchdowns' is still in full effect...*!#! what you heard....)

Finally,

How do you predict your team will do next year??? Try to be as unbiased and realistic as possible.... I think this would make for good discussion

Dre,
J-Train ain't be crying this year. And if he his, they'll be tears of joy as he hoists the Heisman trophy up in one arm, and the BCS NationalChampionship trophy in the other while being drafted number 1 overall. A&M's taking it all this year. Anything less will be a disappointment, andSherman would deserve to get fired.

Nah, but for real...I'm expecting either 6-6 or 7-5 this year. It's gonna take a little while for Sherman and the rest of the staff to get used to thecollege game. I think we'll beat Miami this year though, and can't wait for the game (any Miami fans want me try to get 'em student tickets?). Ialso think we'll beat a team like Texas Tech, Oklahoma, or Texas, then lose a game that we shouldn't (Baylor...?) Sherman's starting to do prettygood on the recruiting trail though, so maybe he's starting to get used to college ball again. I expect a good year out of Goodson, too, as it willprobably be his last in a Texas A&M uniform.

Good stuff dre. I got this from a blog I frequent, but its a pretty good analysis of Ohio St:
While not as talent laden as the 2001 and 2002 Hurricanes (who could be?), the Buckeyes are poised to unload about a quarter of an entire round in the next draft. The Buckeyes hauled in one of the top recruiting classes in the nation and the support of the #1 player in the nation, Terrelle Pryor. The Big Ten has barely put up a fight outside of Illinois and Wisconsin. The biggest issue is the QB who was the leader in pass efficiency for the Big Ten. Oh, and they don't know who their fullback is. It's hard to reload when you lose only 2-3 starters. Lawrence Wilson was projected last year as the best defensive end on the team, only to break his leg in the first game and his counterpart then goes 6th to Jets in the draft. Yikes.
Biggest issue at #1: Well they can't beat a SEC team and the defense looks lost in critical situations. A road trip to USC really could ruin the season, since USC has only lost once to an OOC opponent at home in the last 6 years. Ohio State also gets to take the trip up to Madison, which should be scary for any Ohio State fan.

And Allen...You got Regis Benn as a AA already???
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

word, with who getting him the ball? ... yikes.

Auburn running backs are a joke....No way they should have that many quality RB's. Learn to share Tubby.

Mario is playing more of a 'Kenneth Moore' position, so that might get real ugly. cuz he runs tough for a dude that fast, all I gotta see is soem Handsfrom him.

One of them Cats is gonna end up transfering, and Tate is a hard nosed back, but he's in the way of the more talented players. Thats always a toughdecision for coaches when they have a SR RB who has earned his keep, but them young cats are special football players and need to be on the field.

How do you predict your team will do next year???
9-3, 2nd in SEC East.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

One of them Cats is gonna end up transfering, and Tate is a hard nosed back, but he's in the way of the more talented players. Thats always a tough decision for coaches when they have a SR RB who has earned his keep, but them young cats are special football players and need to be on the field.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all stay. They all remember when the Caddy and Ronnie Brown went top 4 in the draft in the same year, so they all thinkit's possible for them too. Plus Auburn can't pass so they will get their shine on.

yea tru indeed but they also remember the same yr, Brandon Jacobs bouncing and still makin it to the League and Paper Touchin.

Back
Top Bottom