¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

Originally Posted by raw120

Cornelius Ingram has torn his acl and is out for the year. Tough deal for him after turning down the draft.

I just read that. That sucks. Hopefully he can have a Cromartie type recovery and blow the doors off at the combine.

Yeah I saw that.

Rainey got hurt too right?
[h3]Media guide mixup lists Drew Weatherford at UCF[/h3]
Here's a funny little item from UCF. Knights quarterback Joe Weatherford could only laugh when he flipped to page 58 of the UCF media guide to his player profile where he found himself listed as his brother, Florida State quarterback Drew Weatherford. Drew caught wind of the error first and the ex-Land O'Lakes stars shared a fun moment in a season where both are battling to be starting quarterbacks at their respective schools.

"A coach from another school had told him," Joe said. "(Drew) said, 'When did Drew Weatherford transfer?' I thought it was funny."

UCF corrected the error in the online version of the guide.

-- IZZY GOULD
[email protected]

Posted by Izzy Gould at 6:56:45 AM on August 6, 2008 in Hernando County , Hillsborough County , Pasco County , Pinellas County | Permalink | Comments (0)

delicious.gif
del.icio.us
digg.gif
Digg
facebook.gif
Facebook
newsvine.gif
Newsvine
reddit.gif
Reddit

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Donald Washington and Jamario O'Neal are both suspended for the first two games of the season. Ive been hearing that Chekwa has been looking good and itshis spot to lose opposite of MJ. Jamo..I was hoping he'd finally have a breakout yr..not off to a good start.

Preston spoke to the media today, for about 15 minutes. Basically a Press Conference about his gun/drug charges so that he won't have to talk about it forthe rest of the year.

[size=+2]Preston Parker Press Conference Transcript[/size]

Jimbo said since the incident that you have kind of had a life change, can you talk about that?

"It made me realize a lot of stuff. I guess it seems like when something happens to you, you realize what you could have lost. I could have lost like my whole future, my son, could have been like poor or something, but I'm back in trying to do everything I can do. (I'm) trying to get back on the field, be a leader, be a role model for the little kids."

You were a big part of this team last year. When you came back how did your teammates receive you?

"Well, Bert Reed he responded, he was like man I thought you were going to do life and all that other stuff. I was like man I was alright, something told me while I was in there, something told me I was going to be alright and I would get a second chance. Everybody makes mistakes, it's just when you get back you have to do your thing. My teammates welcomed me, it was just like my freshman year, they look at me the same way. Everyone wanted to ask questions, but everyone came back with open arms."

What is the most important thing you learned from all of this?

"Make great decisions. That's the most important thing. Sometimes you just say yes to something without thinking about the consequences, or something you were about to do, but now I think about everything. I think about driving to the store, should I put my seat belt on? Or should I not? It makes me realize the little things."

Were you worried about what the coaching staff might think?

"I was just thinking about Bobby (Bowden). I was worried about what Bobby was going to say. So I was like what was he going to say? I was just nervous like everybody else was."

Can you describe the specific changes you have made in your life since then?

"Sacrificing a lot, that's number one. Sacrificing for things that I will need to get where I want to go in the future."

Have you been doing community service and other things of that nature?

"Yeah, I was ordered to do 50 community service hours. I completed 65, and I'm still going to do some more at D.A.R.E. even though I have all of my hours. Just doing it for the kids to show them before they get here to not make the same mistake that I did."

What are some of the things you did for community service hours?

"I had to do something through the D.A.R.E. program, and I did something through the YMCA already. I did a camp for the kids down in south Florida."

Have you had to tell yourself that there are certain places that I can't go to or certain people I used to hang out with that I will have to cut ties with or anything like that?

"That's the first thing I had to do. I had to separate myself from a lot of my friends, or people I grew up with. Stuff they were doing that I shouldn't do and going places I shouldn't go like clubs, everybody is going to notice me instead of all of my friends. So I will have to separate myself from them and stay at the Burt like they tell me to do. Go out with some of the teammates instead of other friends that are not in the organization so I can be around family."

What has been the reaction of your friends that you have had to cut ties with?

"Well they know what I have to do so it's really not their choice. It's my choice. If they are upset then oh well."

You hear people talk about how it is so hard to remove yourself from that culture that you grew up in that is full of temptation. How difficult is it really for you to remove yourself from that?

"It's like you don't know when you are from a bad area, or a not as good or rich area. It's like you really don't what is bad or what's good. You weren't really taught, mostly from a single parent home, you weren't really taught. Once you get up there, it's something you really have to adapt to, to know what's wrong and what's not wrong. That's what I'm doing right now in the process of getting back."

How much did the move back to the Burt catch your attention?

"It really didn't change because I'm already pretty much adapted to that because I lived there my freshman year. I was off campus, but I'm right back on campus so it's the same really. It's just me and Bert (Reed) just staying in one room."

You were the top playmaker last year. Were you concerned about what would happen if they lost you?

"I was concerned from both angles, because I was the top playmaker, not to brag or anything, but it's like you're losing the engine to your car. You got every other part but you are missing your engine. You know, or just a small piece that don't make your car work. In my family, or in my city, its like I'm the king of my city, and if I wouldn't made this, no one would have recognized my city. With this right now, I'm just trying to help everybody out."

How tough is it going to be to sit out those first couple of games?

"Very tough. I really don't want to come because I might run out there and run a quick slant or something. It's going to be very tough seeing my team out there. I know they are going to play for me, and I'm just going to root them on."

Most people that make a mistake, and it's not that publicized. For you, it was national news. Talk about that a little bit.

"It was crazy, I didn't think it was going to blow up that bad. I don't know why I was thinking like that. My mom told me you don't think you are a nobody? You think you are a bum on the street or something like that? I was like mom, I don't know. I've never been through this. I've never been right here. It was crazy, it was crazy to be national like that. I would rather be known nationally as a positive figure than in a negative way."

Sounds like responsibility there, do you feel that responsibility to the community and to the football fans?

"Oh yeah, a lot of responsibility."

Who has helped you the most through this ordeal?

"Jimbo Fisher and my big brother Doug, Douglas Parker, he plays at FAU. He is my bigger brother, my other half. I always turn to him for stuff, anything."

What has he told you?

"Just to stay positive, keep my head up, don't ever keep your head down. Not everybody wants to see you do bad, there are some people that do want to see you do good so just prove to the ones who want you to do good that you can do it."

Has that type of advice come in little bits?

"It has been coming to me. Everybody was telling me and telling me but you are not listening, you are a kid, you are still young and you think you know everything. You haven't learned everything and it was crazy."

What are some of examples of things that Jimbo Fisher did to help guide you through this?

"Really he was just keeping me focused. He was just telling me to keep my mind right because there was so much stuff going on up there, up inside my head. He was telling me to keep my head straight. If my head was going to be straight I was going to be alright. He was telling me to worry about school, not to worry about what everybody is saying, don't worry about the media, don't worry about this, don't worry about that, he was just telling me what to do to stay positive and not to go insane."

What did you mean to have Coach Fisher and Coach Bowden, all of the coaches, really get behind you?

"It made me want to play even more. When you have somebody that loves you and wants you on that field - some coaches really wouldn't care, like some coaches would be kick him off the team, but they had the courtesy to tell me, or come to me, and let people know that I am a good guy and that he can do it. Now I have to prove it to them. That felt very great, very good."

Of all the people you had to face after the incident, who was the toughest one to look in the eye?

"Jimbo's son. Every time I go see him, 'Preston, Preston', he is wearing his No. 5 jersey, and when I was there, when I was up in jail his voice was just going through my mind. It just kept saying 'Preston, Preston'. I was like what am I going to tell him. When I first saw him he asked me, you know how little kids just ask anything, they don't care, he asked me what happened, you had this, you had that, and I just told him I made a bad decision and I was telling him everything, just don't hang around people and I couldn't really explain everything because he is still small but I just let him know. That was the toughest person I had to face."

What was your meeting with Coach Bowden like?

"I didn't even meet with him. I met him, we were just talking, like we saw each other walking down the hall and he stopped and said a couple things to me. He told me to just stay positive and that also made me want to play even more. When I knew he stopped and talked to me about it, some coaches wouldn't have even said anything, they would have walked past you, looked at you, given you an ugly face and kept walking. He stopped, talked to me, and just gave me some more advice."

Was there a moment when you kind of realized the trouble you had gotten yourself in?

"Oh yeah, soon as I saw that those blue and white lights, blue and red lights, soon as I got up, that is when they really killed me. Then when they closed the doors to where I was at, that is really what killed me. That was probably the moment when I saw what I had gotten myself into."

Wake Forest is going to be your season opener, can you imagine the emotion that will be going through you?

"No comment. I just got to be there."

You look bigger than the last time we saw you, did you take some of the frustration from this ordeal out in the weight room?

"Oh yeah, the anger made me push up 345 (pounds), something I had never did in my life. I never thought I could do it. It was just like I had to come back with a triple impact from what I did last year because I had to prove from what I did wrong, I have to prove I can still do it. It is like double, instead triple, it is double. I have to show ya'll how I can run, how I can do this, how I can do that, and how I can just stay focused off the field and on the field."

What is your weight now?

"About 200."

How long were you in jail for that night?

"15 hours."

Was that like the longest 15 hours of your life?

"Yeah, there was a lot of people in there that I knew so they kind of held me down but I was still scared. I was trying to act like, everybody tries to act like you are hard, 'I am tough, I can be in jail.' But I really didn't want to be in there. It ain't no place to be, especially not for me."

You were trying outwardly to exude calm, what was it like on the inside. Were you scared?

"Of course I was scared, I didn't even know what was happening. Like I said, there was something inside telling me that I would be alright but at the same time I was still nervous and scared because I am in jail."

How much does it bother you that in the ensuing months when they talk about Preston Parker nationally that the first thing that comes to a lot of peoples minds is that he is the kid that got arrested, not that he is the kid that was the catalyst of FSU's offense last year?

"It feels kind of strange but that is why I am in there working hard, trying to come back double so that I can try to make somebody forget it because after time it will leave. I am just trying to do what I can do, make everybody forget about it."

Do you think the two game suspension is a fair punishment?

"Oh yeah, very fair. Very fair."

What is your son's name?

"He is a junior (Preston Parker Jr.)"

How old is he?

"He just turned one on July 12th."

You hear people talk about how it is so hard to remove yourself from that culture that you grew up in that is full of temptation. How difficult is it really for you to remove yourself from that?

"It's like you don't know when you are from a bad area, or a not as good or rich area. It's like you really don't what is bad or what's good. You weren't really taught, mostly from a single parent home, you weren't really taught. Once you get up there, it's something you really have to adapt to, to know what's wrong and what's not wrong. That's what I'm doing right now in the process of getting back."
tired.gif

this dumb #!% +%+!% claimin ignorance...
He dont know right from wrong because hes the product of a single parent home in a bad neighborhood ...

*#*!#

It's good that he stepped forward (well, was told/made to, I'm sure) and addressed it so it doesn't become as much of a lingering issue.

But damn, those answers...

Seems like Clausen will not be suspended...other things..

- For "the first time in history," Weis noted, ChrisStewart is not the heaviest player on the offensive line. Now that the massive junior has slimmed down to "only" 329 pounds (about 70 less thanwhen he enrolled 19 months ago and 8 pounds less than his most recent listed weight), classmate Sam Young - listed at 330 - is the man being referred to as "Tubby" by the headcoach.

Each of the players listed on the first and second units of the offensive line - plus 315-pound freshman center Braxston Cave - are now tipping the scales at 300 pounds or more, part of the offseason planto make the linemen bigger and stronger.
[table][tr][td]
weis_media-day08_200x300.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Photos by: Joe Raymond

[/td] [/tr][/table]- Strength gains, especially in the lower body, were the primary weight-room focus for the interior linemen on defense, and Weis noted that all of thecandidates at nose tackle - Ian Williams, Paddy Mullen, Brandon Newman and Pat Kuntz - can squat 600 pounds or more.

- Weis referred to senior safety David Bruton as a "freakof nature" physically, noting that the always-chiseled captain managed to add 95 pounds to his maximum squat since last season.

- The entire team is now healthy, with one partial exception - tight end Will Yeatman, who was reinstated to the team after the spring semester, injured a hamstringmidway through the summer. The junior will practice, Weis said, but may be held back in some areas during the early part of camp.

- When asked about a statement from Lee Corso that Weis wouldn't be able to go more than two games without taking over the play-calling duties fromoffensive coordinator Mike Haywood, the coach simply calledCorso's prediction "erroneous."

- The response to a paparazzi report from earlier this week that showed a couple of pictures of four Irish players allegedly participating in drinking gameswas extremely brief (after Weis yelled to a Notre Dame staffer at the back of the room about winning a $1 bet that the question would come up)...

"First of all, I think the obvious thing and on a serious note, I think it's important that I don't condone underage drinking. I think that'simportant to say. With that being said...give me a break. And let's move on."

- As he did in the spring, Weis talked about his desire to be more actively involved with all three phases of the game, which he believes he should be able todo now that Haywood is calling the plays.

- New linebackers coach Jon Tenuta will be in the press box during games, which Weis believes will be a great deal of help to defensive coordinator Corwin Brown, who will be on the sideline.

- The incoming freshman class obviously arrived with a great deal of hype, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the rookies will garner as much playingtime as the newcomers did in 2007.

"It's an interesting dynamic this year versus the last few years," Weis stated, "in the fact that all of them are going to have to earntheir way up. It isn't like we're shallow in so many spots where they automatically get in...These guys are going to come in and start third team atbest, where they'd be second team in the past."

- There were a couple of notable changes on the depth chart (to be detailed a bit later by Lou Somogyi), The most eye-popping moves came at linebacker, whereBrian Smith is now listed as the No. 1 Mike linebacker ahead ofToryan Smith, and at left tackle, where Paul Duncan and Mike Turkovich are listed as co-starters with Matt Romine third.

"The one guy who made plays all spring, all over the field, all of the time, was Brian Smith," Weis said. "Brian was the one guy who stood outfor the coaching staff every day."

Originally Posted by allen3xis

- For "the first time in history," Weis noted, Chris Stewart is not the heaviest player on the offensive line. Now that the massive junior has slimmed down to "only" 329 pounds (about 70 less than when he enrolled 19 months ago and 8 pounds less than his most recent listed weight), classmate Sam Young - listed at 330 - is the man being referred to as "Tubby" by the head coach.

So dude was around 400 lbs when he enrolled?
sick.gif

And @@% is Weis doing calling anyone Tubby?

EJ Banks is Irish..

Buckeyee fan's thoughts on that kid?

Meh..DB/WR/Ath is stack as far as Ohio St goes. Best of luck to him.
They're saying Sanchez dislocated his knee cap. No tears or anything.

Originally Posted by ddot7

- For "the first time in history," Weis noted, Chris Stewart is not the heaviest player on the offensive line. Now that the massive junior has slimmed down to "only" 329 pounds (about 70 less than when he enrolled 19 months ago and 8 pounds less than his most recent listed weight), classmate Sam Young - listed at 330 - is the man being referred to as "Tubby" by the head coach.

So dude was around 400 lbs when he enrolled?
sick.gif

And @@% is Weis doing calling anyone Tubby?

Rivals had him at 340 lbs as a prospect...certainly they weren't that far off, and there's no way he gained 60 lbs during that summer...

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

QB Ryan Mossakowski to Kentucky.

eek.gif
pimp.gif
Good. I heard he had cut his list down to A&M and Kentucky, but I didn't really want him. Don't get me wrong, the kid is verytalented, but I'd rather save the scholarship spot for Christine Michael (he's down to A&M and LSU...I'm still holding on to hope that he'scoming to us...) or somebody else. We already have 3 good back up QBs, so I wanna see us wait until next year to get another QB.

Anyone see what Weis had to say about clausen?

"Underage drinking is bad..I think I have to say that......but.......give me a break"

indifferent.gif

I'll always be an ND fan....but never a Weis fan
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom