¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

THE TIGHT END RANKINGS

1. Travis Beckum, Wisconsin, Sr.
The Buzz: Beckum had the most receiving yards (982) and the second-most catches (75) of any tight end in the nation last season. His 75 catches matched the school single-season record for any player.

2. Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State, Sr.
The Buzz: Other tight ends in Pettigrew's conference caught more passes or scored more touchdowns, but perhaps no tight end in the nation has greater NFL potential.

3. Chase Coffman, Missouri, Sr.
The Buzz: Coffman already owns a school record with 20 career touchdown catches. He also won the 2007 "Hammer Award," given annually to the Missouri player who delivers the most big blocks.

4. Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma, Sr.
The Buzz: Eleven of his 37 catches last season resulted in touchdowns, which helped Gresham set a school single-season record for touchdown receptions by a tight end.

5. Bear Pascoe, Fresno State, Sr.
The Buzz: Can this WAC tight end get it done against major-conference foes? Ask Texas A&M. Pascoe scored three touchdowns last season in a triple-overtime loss to the Aggies.

ballstate_statslogo.gif

6. Darius Hill, Ball State, Sr.
The Buzz: Hill already has tied a school record with 24 career touchdown catches. Hill had 93 receiving yards against Nebraska last season and caught nine passes against Rutgers in the International Bowl.

7. Dennis Pitta, BYU, Jr.
The Buzz: Pitta had two 100-yard games last season on the way to finishing his first season as a starter with 59 catches for 813 yards.

8. Cody Slate, Marshall, Jr.
The Buzz: Slate averaged 5.5 catches per game last year, which ranked behind only Beckum and former Missouri star Martin Rucker among tight ends across the nation.

9. Ryan Purvis, Boston College, Sr.
The Buzz: Purvis caught 54 passes for 553 yards and four touchdowns last season to earn first-team All-ACC honors. Can he match that production now that Matt Ryan is gone?

10. Rob Gronkowski, Arizona, Soph.
The Buzz: Gronkowski caught six touchdown passes - including three in his last four games - a year ago on his way to earning Freshman All-America honors from Rivals.com.

11. Richard Dickson, LSU, Jr.
The Buzz: Dickson capped a solid 2007 campaign by catching two touchdown passes in the BCS Championship Game victory over Ohio State.

12. Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss, Sr.
The Buzz: Nelson is nothing if not consistent. He has caught between 33 and 36 passes each of his three seasons with the Golden Eagles.

13. Ed Dickson, Oregon, Jr.
The Buzz: After performing double duty as a tight end and defensive lineman earlier in his career, Dickson has found a home on offense. His 43 catches last season represented the highest single-season total by a tight end in school history.

14. Tony Moeaki, Iowa, Jr.
The Buzz: Moeaki scored three touchdowns in the Hawkeyes' first three games last year before suffering season-ending injuries to his elbow and hand.

15. Branden Ledbetter, Western Michigan, Sr.
The Buzz: Ledbetter already has the most career touchdowns (14) for a tight end in school history. He broke the record previously held by current Western Michigan tight ends coach Jake Moreland.

16. Aaron Hernandez, Florida, Soph.
The Buzz: The season-ending injury to Cornelius Ingram clears the way for Hernandez to make the leap to stardom in his sophomore season.

17. Justin Akers, Baylor, Jr.
The Buzz: Akers doesn't get as much attention as he should. He caught 43 passes last season, including a nine-reception game against Texas.

ohio_statslogo.gif

18. Andrew Mooney, Ohio, Sr.
The Buzz: This New Mexico State transfer led the Bobcats last season in receptions (34), receiving yards (498) and touchdown catches (nine). His nine touchdown receptions set an Ohio single-season record.

19. Anthony Hill, North Carolina State, Sr.
The Buzz: Hill finished the 2006 season with 45 catches - 15 more than any of his teammates - before a knee injury prevented him from playing last season.

20. Mark Hafner, Houston, Sr.
The Buzz: Hafner's six-catch, 128-yard game against Marshall represented the first 100-yard performance by a Houston tight end since 1984. He is the Cougars' leading returning receiver (40 catches).

21. Garrett Graham, Wisconsin, Jr.
The Buzz: Beckum isn't the only Wisconsin tight end who can deliver big plays. Graham made 10 starts last year and closed the season by catching seven passes for 75 yards in the Outback Bowl.

22. Jared Cook, South Carolina, Jr.
The Buzz: Cook displays the pass-catching ability you'd expect from a converted wide receiver. Cook ranked second on the team last season with 321 receiving yards and averaged 14 yards per catch.

rice_statslogo.gif

23. James Casey, Rice, Soph.
The Buzz: After working out at defensive end in the spring of 2007, this former minor-league pitcher started using his athleticism on offense. He caught 46 passes for 585 yards last season to rank second on the team in both categories.

24. Steve Brouse, Connecticut, Sr.
The Buzz: This fifth-year senior scored the first four touchdowns of his career last season. Brouse is entering his third season as a starter and had 26 receptions last season.

25. D.J. Williams, Arkansas, Soph.
The Buzz: New Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino loves to feature the tight end, which should allow Williams to have a breakthrough season. Williams caught nine passes for 80 yards and a touchdown in the Razorbacks' spring game after finishing last season with five receptions.

Those Big Xii Tight Ends
sick.gif

I'm so excited to see how UofM is gonna use TE Carson Butler in their offense. Kid is just a freak athlete, big and fast. In the past he's been a bitof a headcase w/ false start and holding penalties and dropped passes. All reports say thats he's turned it up and has became a leader and is just killingit.

I'm excited (read: nervous as hell) to see what Texas A&M is gonna do at TE...
laugh.gif
we have absolutely nobody right now.

AP top 25

Rank Team Record Votes Previous
1 Georgia (22) 0-0 1,528
2 Ohio State (21) 0-0 1,506
3 USC (12) 0-0 1,490 NR
4 Oklahoma (4) 0-0 1,444 NR
5 Florida (6) 0-0 1,415 NR
6 Missouri 0-0 1,266 NR
7 LSU 0-0 1,135 NR
8 West Virginia 0-0 1,116 NR
9 Clemson 0-0 1,105 NR
10 Auburn 0-0 968 NR
11 Texas 0-0 966 NR
12 Texas Tech 0-0 786 NR
13 Wisconsin 0-0 771 NR
14 Kansas 0-0 707 NR
15 Arizona State 0-0 631 NR
16 Brigham Young 0-0 590 NR
17 Virginia Tech 0-0 578 NR
18 Tennessee 0-0 509 NR
19 South Florida 0-0 496 NR
20 Illinois 0-0 483 NR
21 Oregon 0-0 366 NR
22 Penn State 0-0 293 NR
23 Wake Forest 0-0 227 NR
24 Alabama 0-0 89 NR
25 Pittsburgh 0-0 85 NR
Others Receiving Votes: South Carolina 84, Fresno State 83, California 59, Utah 53, Cincinnati 44, Florida State 41, Michigan 36, Boston College 32, Rutgers32, Michigan State 21, Boise State 17, North Carolina 14, Arkansas 14, Connecticut 10, Tulsa 7, UCLA 6, Oregon State 5, Virginia 4, Mississippi State 4,Arizona 3, Nebraska 2, Notre Dame 2, Washington 1, Hawaii 1

I know its a preseason poll, but they have to take a look at schedules. Kansas has 4 or 5 losses right off the bat and UGA is gonna have their hands full aswell. Big 12 with 5 in the Top 14? That is gonna be some fun football to watch on FSN/TBS

Toddzo,

Yea, McCoy and Chavis are the TEs this year. We brought in Ayers out of Euless Trinity, but I haven't heardanything about him at all. I don't know if he's redshirting or changing positions or what. After reading up on Ayers, he moved back to hisnatural position on the OL. We also brought in KJ Williams, who supposedly is a hell of an athlete and could be our best TE by the end of the season. Then wehave Frank Avery and Harold Turnage in the mix as well. Out of those 5, only Avery and Turnage are true TEs, the others were recruited as athletes.

Also, Tannehill might be making a move from QB to slot receiver. Sherman seems to be impressed with his hands, IQ, and athleticism and doesn't want himrotting on the bench.

SCRIMMAGE STATS

Quarterback Stats

Kevin Craft - 8-18 for 93 yards
3 interceptions
14-yard rushing touchdown
3-yard touchdown pass to Marcus Everett

Chris Forcier - 7-13 for 71 yards
0 touchdowns
1 interception

Rushing Stats

Aundre Dean - 5 for 15 yards
Raymond Carter - 6 for 1 yard

frown.gif
smh.gif

this is going to be a long season

Wow...those are some terrible stats. Certainly Aundre Dean will get better. I remember how bad I wanted him to go to A&M...sounds like we might be betteroff with Cyrus Gray though, my friend that used to be a manager with the football team (he quit today
laugh.gif
) said that Gray has been ridiculous in practice sofar.

I'll probably be right there with you this season though. He said that the OL is looking terrible, and the WRs, DBs, and LBs are gonna be iffy. Makes mesorta dread the upcoming season...

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

SCRIMMAGE STATS

Quarterback Stats

3 interceptions

0 touchdowns
1 interception

Rushing Stats

frown.gif
smh.gif

QBs looking like an Atlanta Falcons game out there...
laugh.gif

Oh, and Stafford was 10-11 for 112 yards and 2 TDs in a Friday night scrimmage, if that makes you feel any better...
wink.gif

laugh.gif
speaking of scrimmages...

Offense disappoints Brooks, Phillips at scrimmage

When discussion began about how the Kentucky offense looked in the Wildcats' first full scrimmage Saturday, both Coach Rich Brooks and offensive coordinator Joker Phillips uttered the same phrase on more than one occasion: "We've got a lot of work to do."

Kentucky's only points came on five field goals, four by Lones Seiber, including a 52-yarder, and one from redshirt freshman Ryan Tydlacka.

"The defense kicked the offense's butt," Brooks said.

Brooks said freshman quarterback Randall Cobb mixed in several nice plays with a few rookie mistakes.

"He showed some poise," Brooks said. "He's got some awareness, but he's young and has a lot to learn."

smh.gif
gonna be a long year...

anybody know anything 'bout this kid?:
[h1]Five-star QB might pick UK on Tuesday[/h1]
By Chip Cosby / [email protected]

Morgan Newton

The University of Kentucky has already received a commitment from one of the nation's top quarterbacks and could be on the verge of another.

Morgan Newton, a 6-foot-5 220-pounder from Carmel, Ind., will announce his college choice on Tuesday, and UK is considered the leader for his services, Newton's father, Dr. John Newton, said on Thursday afternoon.

Newton is listed as a five-star recruit and is ranked as the nation's No. 7 quarterback by Scout.com. Newton is also considering Florida, Clemson, and Illinois.

"Kentucky's right there at the top," Newton's father said. "They have a lot of advantages. The pro-style offense they run is a big plus, and (quarterbacks coach) Randy Sanders has developed quarterbacks at Tennessee and also worked with Peyton Manning."

Ryan Mossakowski, a four-star QB prospect from Texas, also announced last weekend that he would sign with UK in February.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

SCRIMMAGE STATS

Quarterback Stats

3 interceptions

0 touchdowns
1 interception

Rushing Stats

frown.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif
sick.gif

Since we're posting scrimmage stats.

Quarterbacks
Drew Weatherford 4-8, 91 yards, 1 TD and 1 Int.
Christian Ponder 6-11, 104 yards.
D'Vontrey Richardson 5-10, 91 yards.
E.J. Manuel 3-4, 57 yards. 2 rushes for 9 yards.

Running backs
Antone Smith 5 carries for 47 yards. 2 receptions for 11 yards.
Ty Jones 8 carries for 33 yards.
Brandon Paul 3 carries for 6 yards.
Marcus Sims one carry for 9 yards. One reception for 20 yards.

Wide Receivers
Greg Carr 2 receptions, 101 yards and a touchdown.
Jarmon Fortson 2 receptions, 67 yards.
Preston Parker 1 reception, 7 yards.
Corey Surrency 1 reception for 37 yards.
Rod Owens 3 receptions for 26 yards.
Avis Commack 2 receptions for 28 yards.
Bert Reed 3 receptions for 19 yards.
Louis Givens 1 reception for 6 yards.

I'm telling y'all now.

My dude Greg Carr is gonna put in work this year, He was a better all around reciever last year, and he will improve on that and do good things this year.

[h1]Hokies suspend Luckett for policy violation[/h1]
[h2][/h2]

[h3]Updated: August 18, 2008, 10:51 AM EST 8 comments[/h3]add this RSS blog email print

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Virginia Tech suspended receiver Zach Luckett indefinitely Monday for a violation of team policy.

[h4]What's Hot:[/h4] Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos

Coach Frank Beamer had no further comment beyond announcing the suspension of the 6-foot-3, 212-pound redshirt sophomore.

Luckett was expected to start this season after playing all 14 games last season. He caught two passes for 15 yards made 15 tackles on special teams.

The Hokies are ranked 17th in The Associated Press preseason poll.

sick.gif
sick.gif

VT's Receiving core just went from 0 to -1

smh.gif

Get ready for 8 in the box all season

Originally Posted by dreClark

[h1]Hokies suspend Luckett for policy violation[/h1]
[h2][/h2]

[h3]Updated: August 18, 2008, 10:51 AM EST 8 comments[/h3]add this RSS blog email print

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Virginia Tech suspended receiver Zach Luckett indefinitely Monday for a violation of team policy.

[h4]What's Hot:[/h4] Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos

Coach Frank Beamer had no further comment beyond announcing the suspension of the 6-foot-3, 212-pound redshirt sophomore.

Luckett was expected to start this season after playing all 14 games last season. He caught two passes for 15 yards made 15 tackles on special teams.

The Hokies are ranked 17th in The Associated Press preseason poll.
sick.gif
sick.gif

VT's Receiving core just went from 0 to -1

smh.gif

Get ready for 8 in the box all season

Yeah...I think they were already at -1, dre.

Looking at their depth chart, though...5 out of their 7 WRs listed are Freshmen. Ouch...

KY...

Congrats on Newton. Clemson wanted him, we were supposedly in his top 2 and his mom preferred Clemson. Should be good for y'all if Mossakowski doesn'tget drafted too high in baseball.

Originally Posted by ddot7

KY...

Congrats on Newton. Clemson wanted him, we were supposedly in his top 2 and his mom preferred Clemson. Should be good for y'all if Mossakowski doesn't get drafted too high in baseball.

Maybe Moss will come over to A&M now. I don't really want him (I would rather save the scholarships for other people), but we were one of hisfinalists and don't have any QBs committed this year. Personally, I don't really want him. I know A&M isn't in any position to turn awayrecruits, but I feel that we should wait on a QB seeing as how we have Johnson, Tannehill, and Dorman waiting in line (the last two being freshmen) to takeover the QB position...

ddot what up man! 2008 is THE YEAR for us! It's gotta happen man...

You gonna head down to tigertown for any games at all?

Originally Posted by JD161616

ddot what up man! 2008 is THE YEAR for us! It's gotta happen man...

You gonna head down to tigertown for any games at all?

Yeah, I'll definitely be at one game in Clemson, two if I can swing it. Been talking to friends down there about it lately, trying to figure outwhich...what about you? I'll definitely be up in Chestnut Hill for the BC game too.

I'm looking forward to seeing Julio Jones in action in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully he doesn't look like the future HOFer that Bama fans have beenmaking him out to be.

Originally Posted by ddot7

KY...

Congrats on Newton. Clemson wanted him, we were supposedly in his top 2 and his mom preferred Clemson. Should be good for y'all if Mossakowski doesn't get drafted too high in baseball.

wait...he committed? i just read he changed his decision day from today to thursday...

but..

pimp.gif

He's probably just committed to the coaches so far, just not publicly. But it's pretty well known that he's going to KY.

Back
Top Bottom