♔ ~~~~| Celebrites Rockin Heat (fly gear/Fly kicks) VOL. 3 | ~~~~ ♔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, sorry I wasn't a cool guy like everybody in this thread
It's funny how cats forget literally all the clothes we used to wear were corny except timbs and bubbles
Jncos
Avirex( except the leathers)
Miskeen
Mossimo
Enyce
Fubu
Iceberg
Pelle pelle
Sean John
Red monkey
Cross colors
And 1
Versace shirts
Coogi
P.miller( look how fast that supreme hat sold out you can get at a N.O. Gas station)
I could go on and on
When cats front like they never wore those clothes that Cool Kids song always plays in my head" cooler then that guy"
Like someone said if Ye or ASAP pulled something out the fault like a roc a wear or state property shirt, ninjas would be all over that... It's called wanting to be part of something and feeling elite
Sorry I wasn't a Mr. Me Too who could afford just nautica, polo and your favorite racist Tommy Hilfiger
I would bet my first newborn that if someone saw a high profile rapper/ actor wear this tomorrow

I'm not sure what you are really trying to say, dude.

I'll say this though, I'm in my mid 30s and lived through all the brands you listed. I hardly wore any of that stuff.

I had a few Cross Colours items when I was young. I wore some And1 stuff - but only to play ball in. Mainly the shirts - short game was either college team gear or Olafs. NYC cats know what's good with that. I admit I bit and copped some Berg. And, I agree it was/is corny.

But, overall, I can hold my head high in all this talk because the stuff that I wore when I was supposed to be young and stupid is still chased after today.

I don't know anybody who actually tried to rock Hammer pants. And, the shiny suits were clowned on in real time. People weren't copying those trends.

I think everyone when going back has to realize we all are at diff ages. I remember all the brands as well but im in my early 20s and i remember people in my school rocking pretty much everything listed. **** i remember wearing my fubu backwards home jersey to the first day of school in middle school. Now you were older than me and i could see why someone who was in college or just started working at the time wouldnt wear the same thing a middle school kid was wearing

My man, JChambers!!

In addition to the fact that no actual evidence of any racist remarks exists, the circumstantial evidence contradicts the premise of the allegation as well. As time went on, Hilfiger branched out and established the Tommy Jeans line, which was essentially marketed toward the urban demographic. So, why would he actively attempt to seek out the demographic of customers he allegedly didn't want?

If I had to guess, he probably said something similar to what many designers who become popular in the hood say when asked about it. ...I didn't design the clothes initially with this demographic in mind, but I think what they've done is cool. Fashion is all about expression and I'm stoked that they are making my designs their own and showing there's more than one way to appreciate my designs. I'm grateful for all my customers. ...And, then somebody took the first part out of context. But, different forms of this urban myth allegation have been levied at all kinds of designers throughout the years.

see troop and timberland

I think everyone when going back has to realize we all are at diff ages. I remember all the brands as well but im in my early 20s and i remember people in my school rocking pretty much everything listed. **** i remember wearing my fubu backwards home jersey to the first day of school in middle school. Now you were older than me and i could see why someone who was in college or just started working at the time wouldnt wear the same thing a middle school kid was wearing

Understood. And, frankly, whatever you wore before you started really buying your own clothes gets a pass. If your folks are like, we aren't spending XYZ on this or that, then you pretty much have to make whatever choices you can within the budget set for you by your peeps. So, ignore that.

My main point with that post was just to refute the idea that everybody knocking today's brands or looks or whatever followed every trend when they were a teenager or whatever. Five days a week, I'm in corporate casual attire anyway, and it's been like that for a MINUTE. But, to this day, I rock what I've been rocking with forever... and people can criticize that too. But, I've only developed a true loyalty to two brands in my life - Polo and Nike (honorable mention to North Face). And, they've defined my style of dress since the early 90s. You can say what you want about that, but people can't accuse of me hopping on a bandwagon. And, both of those brands have cult-like followings and unassailable presence in the cultures with which I associate. Kids in Iowa buy Tj Maxx pony short sleeves and post pics on their Instagram like "2 Ls up." The choices I made are cultures unto themselves.

see troop and timberland

Good ole Ralphy Lipschitz too

Last edited:

Understood. And, frankly, whatever you wore before you started really buying your own clothes gets a pass. If your folks are like, we aren't spending XYZ on this or that, then you pretty much have to make whatever choices you can within the budget set for you by your peeps. So, ignore that.

My main point with that post was just to refute the idea that everybody knocking today's brands or looks or whatever followed every trend when they were a teenager or whatever. Five days a week, I'm in corporate casual attire anyway, and it's been like that for a MINUTE. But, to this day, I rock what I've been rocking with forever... and people can criticize that too. But, I've only developed a true loyalty to two brands in my life - Polo and Nike (honorable mention to North Face). And, they've defined my style of dress since the early 90s. You can say what you want about that, but people can't accuse of me hopping on a bandwagon. And, both of those brands have cult-like followings and unassailable presence in the cultures with which I associate. Kids in Iowa buy Tj Maxx pony short sleeves and post pics on their Instagram like "2 Ls up." The choices I made are cultures unto themselves.

see troop and timberland

Good ole Ralphy Lipschitz too

Girbaud also.

We live in a society where people can be celebrities from doing absolutely nothing of any importance.

Kardashian
Hilton
Cassie

Cassie looks good. Regardless of her singing career attempts, she still looks good. That's why she's "relevant".

Your average movie star, athlete and or musician can qualify for doing nothing important aswell. who can be mad at a pretty face being paid to be a pretty face.

It's funny how cats forget literally all the clothes we used to wear were corny except timbs and bubbles
Jncos
Miskeen
Mossimo
Enyce
Fubu
Iceberg
Pelle pelle
Sean John
Red monkey
Cross colors
And 1
Versace shirts
Coogi
P.miller( look how fast that supreme hat sold out you can get at a N.O. Gas station)
I could go on and on
When cats front like they never wore those clothes that Cool Kids song always plays in my head" cooler then that guy"
Like someone said if Ye or ASAP pulled something out the fault like a roc a wear or state property shirt, ninjas would be all over that... It's called wanting to be part of something and feeling elite
Sorry I wasn't a Mr. Me Too who could afford just nautica, polo and your favorite racist Tommy Hilfiger
I would bet my first newborn that if someone saw a high profile rapper/ actor wear this tomorrow
puff-mase-mo-money-video460-thumb-460x325-2208.jpg

Dudes would instantly go out and cop
While the " cool guys" would say I never wanted one of those, yeah right just like nobody else didnt want these
hammer-pants.jpg

You ain't gots to lie to kick it-silk tha shocker
Michelle-Obama-Side-Eye-5_thumb.jpg

what you talkin bout b, pelle leathers are still fly boy material soon as it gets cold.

Reactions: alp
My man, JChambers!!

In addition to the fact that no actual evidence of any racist remarks exists, the circumstantial evidence contradicts the premise of the allegation as well. As time went on, Hilfiger branched out and established the Tommy Jeans line, which was essentially marketed toward the urban demographic. So, why would he actively attempt to seek out the demographic of customers he allegedly didn't want?

If I had to guess, he probably said something similar to what many designers who become popular in the hood say when asked about it. ...I didn't design the clothes initially with this demographic in mind, but I think what they've done is cool. Fashion is all about expression and I'm stoked that they are making my designs their own and showing there's more than one way to appreciate my designs. I'm grateful for all my customers. ...And, then somebody took the first part out of context. But, different forms of this urban myth allegation have been levied at all kinds of designers throughout the years.

see troop and timberland
da timberland one was true, remember back in da 90's timberlands if you can believe it WERE NOT sold in da hood..

you had to go to a outdoors man hiking store to buy em..da owner didn't want da attention from that growing hiphop community.

there's a big article in da source about it years ago.

Still is crazy how that Hilfiger rumor spread like that. I never saw any evidence or anything. I just remember one week a few of my boy's started saying we're no longer wearing Tommy because of what was "said"

I think he was on Oprah a few years back and said how this never happened and he never appeared on her show.

Still is crazy how that Hilfiger rumor spread like that. I never saw any evidence or anything. I just remember one week a few of my boy's started saying we're no longer wearing Tommy because of what was "said"

I think he was on Oprah a few years back and said how this never happened and he never appeared on her show.
**** killed alot of his business...he's making money, but he's never gotten back to those heights from da 90's where tommy hilfiger was

super saturated.

It's funny how cats forget literally all the clothes we used to wear were corny except timbs and bubbles Jncos Avirex( except the leathers) Miskeen Mossimo Enyce Fubu Iceberg Pelle pelle Sean John Red monkey Cross colors And 1 Versace shirts Coogi P.miller

The thing about those brands (besides p miller) is that at one point they probably made a t or a jacket, or some jeans and someone was like "yo thats a
nice " " t shirt etc.

You aint never heard anyone say that about southpole or dada...which coincidentally were left off that list.

All i was saying is southpole is lame now and then. And you know this.
Southpole is like beverly hills polo club. Worse even.

**** killed alot of his business...he's making money, but he's never gotten back to those heights from da 90's where tommy hilfiger was

super saturated.

It didn't help that the designs fell off too.

It's generally a rule of thumb that if a brand catches fire within the urban demographic, it does so without trying. And, as soon as that brand realizes its success in that niche and consciously attempts to cater to it, that's when it screws up. The love the brand got initially evolved organically - so the brand would be wise-served for the long run to keep doing what it was doing and let that love grow. Instead, most choose to chase the lowest common denominator and execute a short term money grab at the expense of long term standing of the brand.

Like Timberland, you had to go to Tent N Trails or Paragon to get North Face back in the 90s before they realized what was up and flooded the urban retailers with them.

And, Jay definitely started and ended the jersey boom. That Girls, Girls, Girls video was a turning point. I give Fab some credit for the jersey era too though.

I will always take issue with the idea that Jay started the Jersey boom. I distinctly remember Outkast, Big Boi in particular being all over that well before Jay.

Benz Or Beamer video in 1995....

Peep the throwback Atlanta joint in the Skew It On The Bar B video in 98. He also wore a Nolan Ryan joint in the "Black Ice" video the same year.

Jay didn't do Girls Girls Girls until 2001. And Fab's first single was the same year.

Distant Replays, the spot that was selling the majority of these, was based in Atlanta.

And lest we forget, Outkast was massive in their own right in the 90's.

Most would point to Big Boi being the dude that set it off.

As a sports fan myself who was even wearing Negro League fitteds in the VERY early 90's, I was rocking throwbacks before Girls Girls Girls.

Jay and Fab certainly helped spread it. Especially in NY. I loved Outkast at the time, but all of NY may not have been rocking with them so much.

Article below even mentions Puff wearing them at the 2002 American Music Awards as really making them "pop".

http://biophobimus.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/the-rise-and-fall-of-throwback-jerseys/

Last edited:
I will always take issue with the idea that Jay started the Jersey boom. I distinctly remember Outkast, Big Boi in particular being all over that well before Jay.

Peep the throwback Atlanta joint in the Skew It On The Bar B video in 98. He also wore a Nolan Ryan joint in the "Black Ice" video the same year.

Jay didn't do Girls Girls Girls until 2001. And Fab's first single was the same year.

Distant Replays, the spot that was selling the majority of these, was based in Atlanta.

Most would point to Big Boi being the dude that set it off. Jay and Fab certainly helped spread it. Article below even mentions Puff wearing them at the 2002 American Music Awards as really making them "pop".

http://biophobimus.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/the-rise-and-fall-of-throwback-jerseys/
I remember Outkast wearing ATL jerseys FOR YEARS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. There has to be like 5 music videos of them rocking them + Iive performances and TV apperances. They wanted people to know where they were from.

Jncos
Miskeen
Mossimo
Enyce
Fubu
Iceberg
Pelle pelle
Sean John
Red monkey
Cross colors
And 1
Versace shirts
Coogi
I could go on and on

Thank God Polo was fly before all these brands came out, and after they all died, and even to this very day.

Why would I need to wear anything else?

Afford? You must be confused homie. Most cats around the way were not paying for Polo, and if they were, it wasn't retail at Macy's.....

Last edited:
I remember Outkast wearing ATL jerseys FOR YEARS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. There has to be like 5 music videos of them rocking them + Iive performances and TV apperances. They wanted people to know where they were from.

They wore them in their 1st video. Players Ball.

I posted the SF and Houston joints because those to me represent Big Boi rocking them on some fly ****, not just to represent his city.

Last edited:

Benz Or Beamer video in 1995....

Most would point to Big Boi being the dude that set it off. Jay and Fab certainly helped spread it. Article below even mentions Puff wearing them at the 2002 American Music Awards as really making them "pop".

I certainly acknowledge Outkast's role in the jersey scene. I mean, they were rocking Braves jerseys in the Player's Ball video - going way back. Mad cats claim to take credit for the jersey era. Cormega claims he was the first rapper to be VIP at Mitchell and Ness in Philly. Hell, Mr. Eon claims he wore all that stuff before anybody.

But, I'm not talking about who started jerseys - I mean jerseys been in the mix forever. But, in terms of transforming the jersey from something that was in the rotation to the definitive article of clothing for several years of hip hop music, Jay-Z and Fab were the ringleaders of that, IMO.

Distant Replays though. Hadn't thought about that place in a while. They closed down in the mid-to-late 2000s, right?

Wow. I forgot about Mr. Eon. Makes sense that the Philly heads were early on it as well.

Mega may be right. But Mega wasn't on the level that 'Kast and Jay were to make things Pop to that level. Neither was Eon.

Like I said, I can see how Jay and Fab may have been responsible for it catching on major in NY, particularly around the way (the "hood" in NY didn't really check for Outkast like that) but Big Boi was all over that well before them and Outkast was large at the time themselves.

Benz Or Beamer and Skew It were big records who's videos got a lot of shine.

Around '98, he started rocking them fairly regularly in videos and interviews. I remember having a maroon Phillies joint with a big P on it already when I moved to Miami and that was in 2000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom