♔ ~~~~| Celebrites Rockin Heat (fly gear/Fly kicks) VOL. 3 | ~~~~ ♔

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP

Wiz lookin like a black muppet

Snoop wit the granger jersey

Cats give Jay WAY too much credit when it comes to jerseys.

i remember as a kid seeing mad people wearing jerseys, especially during the summer. I remember seeing rappers wearing random jerseys all the time. If you had money, you had the authentic. Jay wasn't the only rapper rocking authentic jerseys in 96-99.

not enough variety w/ on-fields. gotta at least leave room for cooperstown joints, no?

To me, that works. Anything worn on field past or present is fair game. Past and Present Minor league hats are fair game too. WBC hats, sure, why not.

But,a Houston Astros hat in a "Grape" CW or something... nah, keep it moving, b.

i remember as a kid seeing mad people wearing jerseys, especially during the summer. I remember seeing rappers wearing random jerseys all the time. If you had money, you had the authentic. Jay wasn't the only rapper rocking authentic jerseys in 96-99.

I don't think people dispute that. Hell, the hockey jersey phase was in mid swing when Jay was probably carrying Scoob and Scrap's bags.

But, in terms of jumping off the full blown "jersey era" that's where people (myself included) give a lot of "credit" to Jay.

it's almost as if Jay was a famous celebrity and trendsetter...

there's never a definitive person, just someone you point to, in this case Jay.

Last edited:

Bip, you might be able to provide some insight, but are these all Negro League jerseys right?

I remember Ultramags did a joint on The Four Horsemen about Negro League baseball. So this pic may be from around that time.

As I mentioned earlier, I think it was around 1990 that my go-to hat spot started bringing in Negro League fitteds (Ebbett's Field Flannels maybe?) and I started copping those. Birmingham Black Barons, Ethiopian Clowns, Newark Eagles, Baltimore Black Sox etc.

Which then led to me buying mad Minor League joints. Toledo Mudhens. Clinton Lumberkings, Carolina Mudcats. These were the joints nobody around my way had (I was shopping downtown).

And of course the Cooperstown joints were always dope. Colt .45's etc.

it's almost as if Jay was a famous celebrity and trendsetter...

there's never a definitive person, just someone you point to, in this case Jay.

I think that's his point. If you're pointing to Jay, you're giving him way too much credit.

Buttonups? Yes, Jay set that off. Jerseys? Not really.

I think Jay helped. I remember during that time period Puffy was wearing them hardbody. I also remember Fab's first video appearance in Lil' Mo's video he had jerseys on and I didn't see him in anything but a jersey for like two years straight :lol:

I just hate hearing Jay's name come up with jerseys. Jerseys been worn forever, mad rappers been wearing them.

^^^

That's what I'm saying though. We just saw a pic of Ultramags in jerseys from lord knows what year. Mobb Deep with the custom Hennessy joints in '95.

Masta Ace was rocking Football joints heavy during the Slaughterhouse days. I actually had a Masta Ace jersey that was a promo piece.

Jay helped. Puff helped. Fab rocked them.

And Jay and Fab rocked Baseball throwbacks anywhere between 3-5 years after Big Boi. Who at the time was a famous rapper.

I'm just puzzled as to why people point to Jay for something that was either already quite popular around the way for for something he did several years after the next man.

Last edited:
Bip, you might be able to provide some insight, but are these all Negro League jerseys right?

I remember Ultramags did a joint on The Four Horsemen about Negro League baseball. So this pic may be from around that time.

As I mentioned earlier, I think it was around 1990 that my go-to hat spot started bringing in Negro League fitteds (Ebbett's Field Flannels maybe?) and I started copping those. Birmingham Black Barons, Ethiopian Clowns, Newark Eagles, Baltimore Black Sox etc.

Which then led to me buying mad Minor League joints. Toledo Mudhens. Clinton Lumberkings, Carolina Mudcats. These were the joints nobody around my way had (I was shopping downtown).

And of course the Cooperstown joints were always dope. Colt .45's etc.

Yeah, those are all Negro League joints.

Memphis Red Sox, Kansas City Monarchs, Detroit Stars, and Baltimore Elite Giants - I think.

Negro League history is crazy... if an American white sports fan wants to begin to understand how slavery and its subsequent impact and all the racist dynamics that forced blacks to live on the run and in secrecy impacted their lives, he should just try to study the history of the Negro Leagues. Teams relocated every few years. They changed names, colors. They merged. Teams were in a league one were, were out, and then back in. It's poorly documented history is symbolic of the tumult foisted upon the lives of those who comprised the league.

/it's cool, I have a Supeme sticker on my soap box

i prob done read the DJ Proto "i only listened to kanyes first albums" like 13 times

...And you still got it backwards though. :lol: Proto said he only listens to the late stuff.

...But, that's how you know he's not a classic hip hop DJ. I've never ever heard a hip hop DJ talk about - he used to be wack, but now he's dope. That's hip hop bizzaro world status right there. :rofl:

Last edited:
...And you still got it backwards though. :lol: Proto said he only listens to the late stuff.

...But, that's how you know he's not a classic hip hop DJ. I've never ever heard a hip hop DJ talk about - he used to be wack, but now he's dope. That's hip hop bizzaro world status right there. :rofl:

no, never said that either (that he used to be wack, i just never listened to his first few albums).

i just wasn't paying much attention to hip hop anymore around the time kanye came thru... "through the wire" and whatever hits was on the radio is all i really heard... i was heavy into jungle and other stuff... i gave up on new hip hop after about 1999...

i got a huge, very thorough hip hop record collection up until about 1999, and i won a tri-state DJ battle for mixing, scratching, and beat juggling, but i would never claim myself to be a strictly "hip hop DJ"... there's waaaaay more to music than just that (i've grown up around some cats who are like that tho, and they are some of the most closed minded people i know)...

Last edited:
Shut the hell up jr. We (this entire board) knows enough about you. Just shut up. You post anything and everything about you. You have provided information that nobody gives two ***** about. Did you not post pics of your estranged mother and give us the rundown of how she was not in your life and all of that jazz? ANSWER THAT WITH A YES OR NO. Don't give me a term paper answer or some other BS you were going to write. Dog, you can't even post a pic of what you wore today without a journal to go along with it. You post what you wore/what color the sky was/were you went. I don't want to read about that ****. Nobody tries to "pigeonhole" you. You do that to yourself, and quite easily might I add. Then you have the audacity to say we don't know anything about you? I can give you a rundown of yourself.

1.Kanye is a huge fashion inspiration for you.
2.You tell us how many times you have worn a shoe/what your grails are.
3.You wear deep v-neck shirts that girls you like (white girls with no mass) are into.
4.You posted some Lifetime Network story and provided pics about how your mom left/abused you. Seriously, I'm not joking and this is not a knock on your mother, but you don't post that on a message board like THIS.

That's just four things. I can go on and on, as well as everyone else could, but I will cease here. Don't ever say some stupid **** like "you cats don't know anything about me". Please. Before you ask, yes I have posted in the WDYW/PYP Forum and this Forum before. I've been here way longer than you have. I just had to say something this time because you said something so stupid. Yes I'm mad/salty/madd doggy/heated/no yambs/dambs/all of the other stuff you want to say. Do I follow you around? Hell no. I have just seen your posts time and time again. If you hear a song enough times, you will remember the lyrics, even if you don't like the song. Catch my drift? Just remember and watch what you say on here, it can really pigeonhole you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom