❌‼️ This Thread is now CLOSED. NEW THREAD link on last page, been a great Year ❌‼️

Would you spend €100+ on Paul Pogba??

• Yup, still very young and filled with potential...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, no CM could be worth that much...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]In His Own Words: Stuart Holden Bids the Field Farewell[/h1]
by Stuart Holden on Feb 3, 2016

Life is great… isn’t it? Sometimes, life works in just the right way.  As I sat down to write my retirement letter, the final chapter of my 11-year career, my wife went into labor with our first child. (Heading to hospital, hold on for a second).

OK, I’m back. Labor can take a while, but it’s the perfect affirmation that I have made the right decision to hang up my boots. I couldn’t be more ready -- ready for the next chapter of my life, ready to wave goodbye to the pitch (the playing part, at least), but most of all, ready to embark on the most exciting journey yet, fatherhood.

AS A FATHER, I WILL FACE MANY OF THE SAME FEARS, CHALLENGES, AND INEVITABLE REWARDS I FACED IN MY PROFESSIONAL CAREER. HOWEVER, THIS TIME I WILL HAVE A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GIRL AND AN AMAZING WIFE TO SHARE EVERY MOMENT.

But before we talk about the future, let’s discuss the current issue: retirement. It’s time to stop fighting my body. I’ve known for a while, but I’ve struggled to admit it to myself and to others. The countless sleepless nights, the aches and pains, and the constant mental battles were all signs pointing to a new path. But every time I was about to utter the three big words “I am retired”, all the memories of walking into roaring stadiums, scoring last-minute goals, and being part of amazing teams dragged me back! The same never-say-die attitude that drove me to fight like hell my entire career wouldn’t let me say the “R word”.  I met every setback - and there were many - with a positive attitude. I responded to every disappointment with an “OK. What’s next?” Now, again, I must answer that question. What is next is being proud of my accomplishments, giving thanks to those who have supported me, and smiling at whatever the future holds, the first of which is a baby girl. (Quick update: We are now at the hospital and I should be a dad in the next few hours. My wife wants me to finish this letter quickly.)

So, let’s get started.

Item 1: Be proud. Certain memories are always at the front of my mind; representing the USA in the Olympics and a World Cup, two MLS Cup Championships with the Houston Dynamo, the last minute goal against Haiti, and how could I ever forget the pure elation of scoring the stoppage time winner for Bolton against Blackburn.  Those are just a few of the moments I’ll be proud to bore my daughter with one day. However, those events didn’t shape me into the person I am today, and the father I am about to be. Those experiences came in the locker room with friends I was lucky enough to call my teammates and coaches.

Item 2: Be thankful. Thank you, thank you, thank you to every single person who pushed me every day to be a better player and a better man, for giving me that extra motivation to keep fighting when I needed it, but most importantly, for the memories and ever lasting friendships.  To the fans, thank you. Your support has never gone unnoticed and you've had a bigger impact on my life than you’ll ever know. All of the messages, tweets, songs, and passion for the beautiful game have left me humbled and forever grateful. To Bolton Wanderers and the Houston Dynamo, you welcomed me to the family and for that I am forever thankful. Now it's my turn to be a fan. To my loving family: Mom, Euan, Rachel and late father, Brian, I’ll be thanking you until my last day on this earth. I played for you, and none of this would have been possible without your love, support and commitment through all the years. I love you with all of my heart.  To my wife, Karalyn, the best is yet to come. You are my rock, my livelihood, and I will never be able to completely thank you for the sacrifices you’ve made to help me pursue my career. You will be an amazing mother to our child. I love you so much and you inspire me every day to be a better human. You are the reason I can accomplish …

Item 3: Smile at the futureLet’s do this!

Speaking of the future, I’m not exactly sure what it holds, but that is OK by me. I have a passion and love for the game of soccer that will never be replaced. (Just got punched in the arm by Karalyn as she gets a strong contraction, which is another reminder that a possible replacement is coming.) But the reality is, soccer cannot truly be substituted because it was the first true love of my life. From a very young age, I poured my heart and soul into being the best I could be, and I kept the dream alive as long as I could. The game has rewarded me with a beautiful life and opportunities I never thought possible. The most recent opportunities will keep me in the game as a broadcaster, a coach, and maybe even as an owner one day. Who knows? Not me. What I do know is that I am 100% at peace with my decision to retire from playing, and I am 200% excited for the future. True closure has been hard to come by, but man it feels good.

It’s been one hell of a ride -- a ride that a wee lad from Aberdeen (that’s in Scotland for those who flunked geography) dreamt of, worked hard for, and made come true. One thing is for sure: you haven’t seen the end of me… but I might take a short break as the contractions are kicking my wife’s butt right now. That means it is time for Stuart Holden, the retired athlete and third-person self-referencer, to step up and deliver a life-winning assist! Child birth has just put all of my injuries into perspective. I now know that my wife is the real champ (and my Mom too)! Cheers to the release.

Yours always,

Stu

P.S. - As of 2:35 PM February 1st, 2016, I am officially a father to a beautiful baby girl, Kennady Rose Holden. Mom and Daughter are in great health and Dad is proud. Bring on parenthood.
STU-S-A

Last edited:

Jackson Martinez should smile more, his agent just set him up for life. I wouldn't want to live in China either though
why 
nerd.gif
Never seemed like an appealing place to live, hella crowded and I dont speak Chinese. I'd like to visit Hong Kong or Shanghai one day though 

Just saw the replay of the Chelsea vs Watford game, this season from hell just doesnt want to end for us 
mean.gif
. I dont know why I expect better anymore 

Hong Kong is amazing (thanks for the recommendations RCK and Sinner P when I asked you guys a few months back). I definitely wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the brutal summers (that are common all over Asia) :lol: Even when I went in November, I had all these local HKers giving me strange looks for walking around in t shirts and shorts while they were wearing coats and down jackets. It was only 70 degrees Farenheit by the way :lol:

I was planning to go to Shanghai and Beijing while I was there, but with all that air pollution, HELL NO.

Last edited:
@RorySmithTimes Spanish-speaking Jackson Martinez couldn't "adapt" to Spain after moving from far-off Portugal. Going to China the obvious solution, really.

:lol: :lol:

I think Flyeed @ me and brought up what I've said about Jackson before, but yea, me and Jackson had a hot/cold relationship. I was never his biggest fan, and I definitely wanted to sell him while the price was high. He was just so damn underwhelming in big games, never had a pure touch.

I thought the €35 million we got for him was great tho, it was a surprise because he's 29 years old - but I can't believe Atletico sold him for more, after he having such a bad first half. Now I'm disappointed we didn't reach out to Chinese clubs, €7 million may not seem like a lot, but it is to us - We could have used that money to replace not making it to the group stages.

Shout out to Jorge Mendes tho, this guy really is vulture. But he'd be my agent too.

Mendes is the Ari Gold of Footy :lol: :smokin

MSN = 80 goals this season

Suarez: 35 goals
Messi 24 goals
Neymar: 21 goals

They win at football.

160.gif

They didn't have to do G-Nev like that :smh:

Last edited:
Dude, I didn't know what you were talking about but holy ****...

Barca beat Valencia 7-0 today :wow:. (Gary Neville has had a terrible start :smh: )

I've been saying this for the past three years, Suarez is the 3rd best player in the world. If he wasn't a maniac, he would get more love when it comes down to voting.

Last edited:
Hong Kong is amazing (thanks for the recommendations RCK and Sinner P when I asked you guys a few months back). I definitely wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the brutal summers (that are common all over Asia)
laugh.gif
Even when I went in November, I had all these local HKers giving me strange looks for walking around in t shirts and shorts while they were wearing coats and down jackets. It was only 70 degrees Farenheit by the way
laugh.gif

I was planning to go to Shanghai and Beijing while I was there, but with all that air pollution, HELL NO.
HK is great

I have a awesome job opportunity in Singapore at the moment. Looking forward to the lifestyle and it will be decent for watching EPL (I lived there before - if anyone recalls my picture with Ozzie Ardilles!). However I will likely find it much harder to buy Jordan's and I have a New York Jets season ticket I need to get rid of....

Lazio’s Serie A match against Napoli halted due to racist chanting
• Play briefly stopped after Lazio fans abused Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly
• ‘It was chanting from the minority’ said Lazio manager after side’s 2-0 defeat
Lazio and Napoli players surround referee Massimiliano Irrati as he halts their match in Rome
Lazio and Napoli players surround referee Massimiliano Irrati as he halts their match at the Olympic Stadium in Rome due to racist chanting from some home supporters. Photograph: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images
Reuters
Wednesday 3 February 2016 19.22 EST Last modified on Wednesday 3 February 2016 19.28 EST

The Serie A fixture between Lazio and Napoli on Wednesday was suspended for around three minutes after home supporters at the Olympic Stadium in Rome aimed racist abuse at visiting centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly.

The game was halted in the 68th minute following repeated booing from pockets of fans whenever the Senegal international touched the ball. The referee, Massimiliano Irrati, only decided to continue proceedings after consulting with coaches and officials and Napoli secured a 2-0 win with goals from Gonzalo Higuaín and José Callejón to stay top of the standings.

“I would not have stopped the match,” the Lazio manager, Stefano Pioli, said afterwards. “It was chanting from the minority, but I don’t think they were racist. We also have players of colour and they are treated well.“

The Napoli coach, Maurizio Sarri, said he was sorry about the chanting. “Bravo to Irrati for stopping the match,” he said on Twitter.

Italian football has been plagued by racist incidents recently, notably in 2013 when AC Milan players Kevin-Prince Boateng and Mario Balotelli were the victims of offensive chanting in two separate matches.

Napoli and Juve are on a very historic run. I believe both clubs have won the most consecutive games in club history. Rafa has to be feeling some type of way :lol:

I'm really intrigued to see how well Dybala develops. I really really like his game.

Higuain has something like 23 goals in 23 games :x :x

Dybala is that next great Argentine striker and unlike Icardi,he's not a complete scumbag. At least not that we know :lol:.

He'll be at Barca in 2 years :smh:

Last edited:
Sorta makes you think about the talent RM has had leave the past 2-3 years. Ozil, Di Maria and Higuian all flourishing man.

seen him play a few matches last year, he looks promising

Santos also had another up and coming player named Neilton, don't know what happened to him

Coupé It Coupé It care to translate for me? I kinda get it, but I don't at the same time...

View media item 1896665
apparently some scumbag Benfica fans robbed the disabled kid

the person is saying that they should be embarrased of themselves so do such a scumbag move like that

Last edited:
Dybala is the truth. I said it here a couple months ago, Argentina should be good even after this generation of Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain, Mascherano, and Lavezzi are all too old to play anymore. We have a nice young talent pool to dip into. We consistently produce quality.

I've been saying this for the past three years, Suarez is the 3rd best player in the world. If he wasn't a maniac, he would get more love when it comes down to voting.

Suarez is the best pure striker in the world and I don't think it's close. Look at how Liverpool has done since he left. Look at how Uruguay plays when he's not available. Look at how Barca went from washed to world beaters after his arrival. He is a gamechanger.

Hear about a next Neymar ever 3 months :lol:

Yo, whatever happened to Ganso?

Still playing for Sao Paulo, I believe. Which reminds me of Leandro Damiao and Bernard

Haven't heard Damiao name since the Olympics :lol: damn..thought dude was going to come to Europe after that. He's only 26 to, thought he was older.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom