🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

I’ll worry about the crushes later on . Not in any hurry for them but will get them at some point

You guys motivated me to put my Lavas back into rotation. I had only worn them a few times and they've been in hibernation for maybe two years! Super clean; love these. Actually hope I can wear them enough to really work them in. I find these have pretty accentuated arch support, which I'm not used to.

So when did these originally come out; '89 or '90? Nike's site says 1990, but most other places say '89. Based on my recollection as a kid, I'm thinking it was '89. They definitely have elements of the Jordan 4 and 5, maybe they release at the end of '89 and sold thru '90...heh.

Fall 2024? That's awesome! I'm down for another pair. Sold my 2014s & my 2019s as my feet, like the video says, seems to have grown a tiny bit and the 11s were just too snug (also having broken my big toe twice, the knuckle is all messed up and I need space to wiggle my toes. So getting a new pair in a year would be wonderful! 🙏🙏 11.5 for these and I'm ready. 👍

You guys motivated me to put my Lavas back into rotation. I had only worn them a few times and they've been in hibernation for maybe two years! Super clean; love these. Actually hope I can wear them enough to really work them in. I find these have pretty accentuated arch support, which I'm not used to.

So when did these originally come out; '89 or '90? Nike's site says 1990, but most other places say '89. Based on my recollection as a kid, I'm thinking it was '89. They definitely have elements of the Jordan 4 and 5, maybe they release at the end of '89 and sold thru '90...heh.

I can answer this easily. It was DEFINITELY 1989! And here is how I know. Just before I was to start 7th grade, which was the '89-'90 school year, late August, my mom always took me to this Mom & Pop shop in Lansdale, Pa called Dimmers! Any of the Philadelphia suburbs peeps in here will remember them. They sold ALL THE HEAT!! And at discount (usually $10-20 off retail).

When I mean everything, I mean EVERYTHING!! Jordans, Agassi, Bo Jackson, Forces, Flights, Pumps from Reebok, you name it. Mom took me there for my shoe to start the year. Deal was, I HAD to take care of them, since shoes were $80-100 depending on which ones. And by taking care, she meant, don't wear in the rain, mud, keep them nice. So that's what rubbed off on me all the years later.

I went there for the SOLE PURPOSE of getting my pair of Air Tech Challenge II Hot Lavas!! Wanted a pair since watching Andre wear them when he unveiled them. Walked in (the classic smell of new sneakers, glue, leathers was amazing) and walked over to the wall and there they were!! 🔥🔥🔥 My dream shoe! All for $79.99 ($10 off retail). But my Mom, of all people mind you, saw the shoe to the right of them....and said, do you want those instead? They are only $10 more ($89.99 discounted from $99.99). The shoe she asked me if I wanted? Air Jordan Black Cement IVs!! 😳😳 And Mon knew how much I idolized MJ!

Mom asking if I wanted a more expensive shoe! And yes, I chose the IVs. My first pair of AIR Jordans (had Sky Jordan 1s when I was a little kid, no Air in them). Let my grail go and I didn't get them until the original retro from 2008! But that store was AMAZING and I do miss it today, even if I don't buy shoes anywhere like I used to.

I can answer this easily. It was DEFINITELY 1989! And here is how I know. Just before I was to start 7th grade, which was the '89-'90 school year, late August, my mom always took me to this Mom & Pop shop in Lansdale, Pa called Dimmers! Any of the Philadelphia suburbs peeps in here will remember them. They sold ALL THE HEAT!! And at discount (usually $10-20 off retail).

When I mean everything, I mean EVERYTHING!! Jordans, Agassi, Bo Jackson, Forces, Flights, Pumps from Reebok, you name it. Mom took me there for my shoe to start the year. Deal was, I HAD to take care of them, since shoes were $80-100 depending on which ones. And by taking care, she meant, don't wear in the rain, mud, keep them nice. So that's what rubbed off on me all the years later.

I went there for the SOLE PURPOSE of getting my pair of Air Tech Challenge II Hot Lavas!! Wanted a pair since watching Andre wear them when he unveiled them. Walked in (the classic smell of new sneakers, glue, leathers was amazing) and walked over to the wall and there they were!! 🔥🔥🔥 My dream shoe! All for $79.99 ($10 off retail). But my Mom, of all people mind you, saw the shoe to the right of them....and said, do you want those instead? They are only $10 more ($89.99 discounted from $99.99). The shoe she asked me if I wanted? Air Jordan Black Cement IVs!! 😳😳 And Mon knew how much I idolized MJ!

Mom asking if I wanted a more expensive shoe! And yes, I chose the IVs. My first pair of AIR Jordans (had Sky Jordan 1s when I was a little kid, no Air in them). Let my grail go and I didn't get them until the original retro from 2008! But that store was AMAZING and I do miss it today, even if I don't buy shoes anywhere like I used to.

Awesome story! And makes sense... I was in grade 9 and replaced my Air Trainer TW with the WC4s for that school year's pair. Wanted the BCs so badly but they were sold out in my size.

I thought thr Lavas looked awesome but was wanting black shoes. Ended up painting my WCs near the end of that year and completely ruined them.

Didn't get the Lavas until '19 along with the BCs. That was a nostalgic year for me.

Awesome story! And makes sense... I was in grade 9 and replaced my Air Trainer TW with the WC4s for that school year's pair. Wanted the BCs so badly but they were sold out in my size.

I thought thr Lavas looked awesome but was wanting black shoes. Ended up painting my WCs near the end of that year and completely ruined them.

Didn't get the Lavas until '19 along with the BCs. That was a nostalgic year for me.

Fantastic story bud. Half of being a sneakerhead is not necessarily about the shoes but the stories about the shoes and how one got into the hobby or the love of them. 🤝

Yep. My best friend made our 7th grade basketball team, and his grandparents promised to buy him the Military 4's for Christmas for the season. Went to the mall with him and his family to pick them up in late November and saw the first shoe I had ever seen with "neon pink" on them. Blew my mind. I thought they were Jordans lol. Saw they were $110 and went home begging my mom for them. She sarcastically said "ask your dad to get them for your birthday and see what he says." By God, my dad put those SOB's on layaway and had them for me on my birthday in early February. My first pair of shoes that cost more than like $50, and started a tradition that still continues to this day. Still get a pair every year from my dad.

TW’s are something I’ve been wanting to come back forever. Hope they get around to it one day .

A dude on the Complex sneaker podcast said that one of his sources told him that the Tech Challenge 2s are coming back Fall 2024.

Around the 14:25 mark.

Damn Nike can we get anything else? I’m not even excited for a new retro considering how awful they’ve been with the sportswear releases these past couple of years. **** Nike

Air Tech Challenge IV - 04.jpg

TW’s are something I’ve been wanting to come back forever. Hope they get around to it one day .

I know, right?! I actually wanted the SCs (known today mostly as the IIIs) at that time so badly; the Navys, but they were sold out in my size and I didn't want to make my Mom drive around looking for them, so got the TWs. My buddy had the Medicine Balls, and while I wasn't crazy about brown, I LOVED the design; all that plastic AND visible air was so freak'n amazing to me. I actually thought the Navys were black not dark navy at the time...heh. I even tried cutting a window in the midsole of my TWs to make visible air; we all know how that turned out...SMH.

In retrospect, however, the TWs are also pretty awesome. Just like I really wanted the BC4s over the WCs, but now I actually prefer the WCs. Not sure if that's b/c of the memories, or my change in tastes. That said, I need each of these colorways and models in my collection forever. WAITING for the the Navy SCs though...WTF Nike!

They debuted on Agassi at the Year End Masters in November of 1989.

I'm guessing the release was at some point during the fall of that year.

But I can't confirm it since that's before I was born.

I made a video on the release of those shoes.

I wasn't around in '89 so I'll take your word for it...but everything that I've seen seems to indicated that Agassi debuted the Hot Lava ATC IIs during his first match against Edberg at the Year End Finals (which would have been in November of that year.)

You said that this was in August of 1989. Is it possible that this was August of 1990?

I'm pretty sure that Agassi didn't switch over to the 3s until the 1990 US Open.

I would think that most retailers would have had the shoes in August of 1990 but probably not in August of 1989 since Agassi was still using the ATC 1 at that time.

Back
Top Bottom