🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

This is about a couple years old, but I wonder / think this is still Drake's situation. Budden also alluded to it this week too
 I saw a lot of y'all discussing Drake's deal in the other thread and claiming he has the best deal in the industry, LOL. In fact, he got screwed over by Cortez so hard that he couldn't wait to drop him as his manager when the four-year maanagement deal was over (he hired Future the Prince & Oliver Khabsds).

Drake is signed to Aspire (Cortez), Young Money and Cash Money, who all own 33% each of his masters. Drake has a standard 18% royalty fee deal, which he gets after his a couple hundred thousand dollar advance is recouped.

How did Cortez screw over Drake? He signed him to exclusive management and recording agreements (blatant conflict of interest), which gave Drake nothing but a promise that Cortez will find a major label, in return for ownership rights to Drake's future master recordings to Cortez. Cortez then turned to his other management client Wayne (blatant conflict of interest, again) and cut a deal where he retained 33% of the masters and YMCMB got the rest.

And the deal explicitly says that no one can sell a copy of a master without the permission of Cash Money Records, so no Drake didn't drop this latest project without Birdman. Stop it.

Source:
http://www.entlawdigest.com/2012/07/27/Drake.pdf (the last letter from Drake's attorney trying to get out of the deal is hilarious and ****** up in so many ways)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_Music_Group

Yo his record label situation has been addressed by OTHER rappers so for sure there is some truths to how he is getting robbed by all the parties involved.

He could have been super rich if he really had a better situation or owned his masters.

I think he has done a great job in diversifying his income though so he doesn't have to pay these other cats for any non music related move

Artist don't really get earnings from record sales anyway, that's jas and birdmans issue they gotta workout (birdman ain't paying them ****).
Just looking and drakes celebrity and sold out world tours, I would assume money is not an issue. He probably has more than Wayne at this point.

Artist don't really get earnings from record sales anyway, that's jas and birdmans issue they gotta workout (birdman ain't paying them ****).
Just looking and drakes celebrity and sold out world tours, I would assume money is not an issue. He probably has more than Wayne at this point.

Yup. Music is just their material to be able to tour and stay relevant. No real profit from just music

I always thought Drake could have been the guy to break the old model and go indie.

They had "Best I Ever Had" rocking with no major label.

But the same dudes that set that up were probably looking to cash out.

I always thought Drake could have been the guy to break the old model and go indie.

I thought he could have been completely broken off from YM/CM after Take Care. He really had no reason to be affiliated with them after the success of that album.

I thought he could have been completely broken off from YM/CM after Take Care. He really had no reason to be affiliated with them after the success of that album.

Was probably still under contract though.

Yeah Best I ever had was a tricky situation kind of.

Because he wasn't signed to a label, but he was signed to Cortez's Aspire management group, who also managed lil wayne. So they were using YM/CM money and push to get Best I ever Had out there. Essentially Drake was independent at the time, but Best I Ever Had was a Cash Money record so there was literally no way he wasn't going to sign to cash money after signing to aspire. 

IMO, I don't know anything lol but from what i've read and gathered.

Still probably quadrupling his net worth though. Exactly who I was talking about in my last post. :lol: bottomfeeders should they in their Lane

Yeah Best I ever had was a tricky situation kind of.

Because he wasn't signed to a label, but he was signed to Cortez's Aspire management group, who also managed lil wayne. So they were using YM/CM money and push to get Best I ever Had out there. Essentially Drake was independent at the time, but Best I Ever Had was a Cash Money record so there was literally no way he wasn't going to sign to cash money after signing to aspire. 

IMO, I don't know anything lol but from what i've read and gathered.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

But I don't know if they were using YM/CM money per say.

The Hip Hop Since 78 team was heavily involved in all of the work on "Best I Ever Had" as well. Drake probably had some show money already cooking.

All of those parties had the money to do it and more themselves.

But yea, they were already in bed with YM/CM so it only made sense.

That whole situation was weird as hell to me at the time. So much **** going on, rumors that he had signed to Interscope, etc

Even after it was out there that he signed to Aspire/YM/CM/Universal he was still in the media talking about "I'm 100% independent still, I own all my masters, Universal just the distributor, etc"

I didn't know **** about the industry then so I remember calling one of the OG's and him just going on a 30 min rant about how clueless and naive him and all these other young artist are, left that convo feeling even more confused :lol: :smh:  

Last edited:
I'm curious to know how Rihanna got ownership of her masters in such a short period of time. Like what kind of record deal do her and Beyoncé have. I know Beyoncé came in the game with her dad who knew the business but Rihanna came straight from overseas signed to a major, and now has ownership of her work. That's not normal.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom