🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

He was on the come up, anticipation was high for DWMTM...he sabotaged his own album/career really

then you don't listen to rap
He had hit singles(Burn and Amen, which I think were both on DC2), other that that, he wasn't a top tier rap artist.

DC4 is solid if we want to count that as an album, but his first two were average at best.  DC1 is still his best work overall.
What does that have to do with anything. You don't have to be a top tier artist to be popular in mainstream rap.

Mamba mvp just wanna argue bout some **** you can tell, I know our season was trash bro but you gotta do better. :lol:

Dude just started speaking like that on Views man. Next you're going to tell me he didn't Shang Tsung Big Sean's flow.
You moving goal post fam. This isn't about Big Sean or him stealing his flow.

This is about the dancehall records. And there weren't any mainstream pop rap / r&b acts that were doing this at all, from my recollection. 

Kardinal offishal?

You're talking about the stans right?
I have all his albums but I don't have any of the Yeezys or the Kanye clothes and matching Kanye stuff like the clowns at KTT do. Cringe level stuff with some of them over there.

Nah you seem cool bro :lol:. But I know a couple that are just egomaniac weirdos

Drake makes good music. I just think a lot of people overrate him and call him a legend and what not.

I'll refrain from saying he is or he isn't, but i'm curious.

Why isn't he?

He's 7 albums in, the conversation can be had.
I'm fine with people debating whether he's legend or not, I just don't think he's a "rap god" or "rap legend".
He has made good rap and pop music though. He has stayed relevant by riding the current trends or reinventing the wheel in some cases. You could argue more that he's a pop icon than a rap legend imo.

When it comes to Pop, I don't even think there's a debate. The sound(s) he's brought to the mainstream are difficult to even measure

Mamba mvp just wanna argue bout some **** you can tell, I know our season was trash bro but you gotta do better. :lol:

Your credibility on music is ziltch. You bring up Tory Lanez who is know for stealing anything that's remotely hot. Travis Scott I don't listen to him so I wouldn't know. Cole, K. Dot., Chance, Ye, Future, Migos, etc. or anybody else who's actually relevant jumped on this dancehall wave Drake created?

I feel like when you listen to Rap albums that are deemed "Classic"

they sound nothing like Drake.

So from that perspective, Drake will never have a classic rap album because it'll never "sound" hard. It'll never sound like what we as associate classic rap albums to sound like. From a purely content perspective.

No one is ever going to say Drake has a bonafide classic when his albums have One Dance and Marvin's Room on them.

Drake's run, era, and career as a whole is probably classic though. Been running **** since 09 and its 2017 now.

You moving goal post fam. This isn't about Big Sean or him stealing his flow.

This is about the dancehall records. And there weren't any mainstream pop rap / r&b acts that were doing this at all, from my recollection. 

Rihanna doesn't count? Twerk It just came out in 2013 from Busta. If Drake actually made a dancehall album I'd be more receptive to this line of thinking but throwing a couple tracks on an album completely out of place by the way doesn't constitute a movement.

Last edited:
I'm fine with people debating whether he's legend or not, I just don't think he's a "rap god" or "rap legend".
He has made good rap and pop music though. He has stayed relevant by riding the current trends or reinventing the wheel in some cases. You could argue more that he's a pop icon than a rap legend imo.
This is fair. But I think because he still raps almost as much as he sings that he'll eventually be looked upon as a rap legend, to the dismay of a lot of people.

Your credibility on music is ziltch. You bring up Tory Lanez who is know for stealing anything that's remotely hot. Travis Scott I don't listen to him so I wouldn't know. Cole, K. Dot., Chance, Ye, Future, Migos, etc. or anybody else who's actually relevant jumped on this dancehall wave Drake created?

:lol: so because you don't like the FACTS that I just gave now you asking for more evidence when all you can bring up is Sean Paul from 2004? Have a seat. I don't need credibility from any of you ****** on the board. You can research everything I say and there's a link for it. Y'all on the other hand? :lol:

"Sean Paul" :lol: **** outta here

Matter fact, just to make you look even more silly, [emoji]129300[/emoji][emoji]129300[/emoji] since views dropped, has chance even had a chance to "ride the wave"? What project did chance drop since views? What about k dot? How bout Kanye? What albums have they dropped AFTER views? :lol: ***** just throwing out names smh

Last edited:

I feel like when you listen to Rap albums that are deemed "Classic"

they sound nothing like Drake.

So from that perspective, Drake will never have a classic rap album because it'll never "sound" hard. It'll never sound like what we as associate classic rap albums to sound like. From a purely content perspective.

No one is ever going to say Drake has a bonafide classic when his albums have One Dance and Marvin's Room on them.

Drake's run, era, and career as a whole is probably classic though. Been running **** since 09 and its 2017 now.
It's a new generation.

Rihanna doesn't count? Twerk It just came out in 2013.
So he bit Rihanna's wave? Really? So this elaborate scheme to bite the dancehall wave and bring it to the mainstream, was from Rihanna?

I mean I guess, but even so, what other rapper or pop act can you name that he bit? 

I didn't hear the tape yet. I'm excited to do so.

I am one of the grime haters tho, so not sure how I will take this album in.

Also isn't rap all about cadence and flow? So if I hate their accent and their slang, it's part of rap. Has nothing to do with me not wanting something "different"

And to the post below, yes Toronto has been Jackin Jamaica slang since 95. They have a huge carribean influence in the culture.

I grew up saying wagwan, seen, yout, blem, etc. So drake definetly not wave riding. All of us in Toronto speak like that. At least my generation.

Last edited:
Dude just started speaking like that on Views man. Next you're going to tell me he didn't Shang Tsung Big Sean's flow.

This is 2011 pa

And like Osh says, all Toronto kids talk like they Jamaican, so do dudes in London. So do second and third generation immigrants in Flatbush.

You find a place with a ton of Caribbean immigrants, and you will see the same thing.

He didn't just swagger jack for Views.

-And regarding Big Sean

You making a mountain out of a mole hill famb.

You don't **** with Drake, cool. But you're not gonna convince people that rock with his music to change their mind off of stuff that is not really the truth

Last edited:
So he bit Rihanna's wave? Really? So this elaborate scheme to bite the dancehall wave and bring it to the mainstream, was from Rihanna?

I mean I guess, but even so, what other rapper or pop act can you name that he bit? 

As a casual listener this was my immediate reaction to one dance. Rihanna's p was life changing for him

It's a new generation.

Right. It's a new generation, but everyone uses the old model for what a classic is and applies it to a new generation.

People legit look at Hov and Biggie albums as to why Drake albums isn't a classic.

Drake has three albums that I deem classics and will play forever. Shrugs.

Also Jamaican and never cared about this whole argument, I hated Sean Paul though son's music was wild annoying. I know more Jamaicans that appreciate Drake more because of it than anything. 

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything. You don't have to be a top tier artist to be popular in mainstream rap.
I don't think his buzz has ever really been that big as a mainstream artist.  Yes, there was hype leading up to the D&N/DWMTM release(the latter being his peak mainstream wise), but he's never been as big as the artists I listed.  

Back
Top Bottom