🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

Bro, I feel what you're getting at. I really do. But how many reference tracks need to drop before you start to believe? How many more former OVO dudes need to say this man stole off me? How many more up and coming artists need to put this guy on front street for taking their beats/concepts? I mean **** :lol:

And riddle me this Drake fans...what rapper you know who's been on top for as long as he has and didn't bring not ONE of his boys with him? Hov had Bleek, 50 had G-Unit, Nas had AZ, T.I. had Dro, ect. Who has Drake put on...? OVO ain't nothing but a front for lyric laundering man :lol:

The point is the reference tracks don't yield any evidence that they were written solely by someone and then given to Drake.

Only person who claimed Drake stole from them was Mo G and he wasn't even talking about music. All he said was dude stole his style when Drake was wearing those same brands for years.

OVO was started with 40 and Oliver who both knew him since he was a teen. Boi 1da, P Reign and T Minus don't exist? They been there since the beginning.

Last edited:
roll.gif
@ "OVO ain't nothing but a front for lyric laundering"
OVO Sweatshop

Lyrics in hiphop are held to a different standard than other music genres. Writing your own lyrics has always been an inherent part of hiphop. Nobody expects pop singers to write their own lyrics. 

It's not only pop but in rock and and r&b as well. Only hip hop/rap fans are stuck with this ideology that lyrics are the ultimate be all in a song and rappers shouldn't have help writing songs if they're a "real mc"

Last edited:
How did a song originally named the cha cha remix switch names to hotline bling after it picked up steam ?

I never seen a single style battle where rnb artist battle vocally and see who's lyrics are better... or rock n roll artist who go in a circle and rhyme against each other while playing the guitar.... it's a reason why there's a such thing as battle rap. Lyrics are one of the og ingredients in rap since the very beginning. Before all the theatrics u had a beat and words, beat could've came from speakers, beat box, pen and table but the lyrics came from the person rapping em. So yes, writing your own music alters in the rap/hip hop genre. Dont automatically assume because he has people penning hit that everyone does.

It's not only pop but in rock and and r&b as well. Only hip hop/rap fans are stuck with this ideology that lyrics are the ultimate be all in a song and rappers shouldn't have help writing songs if they're a "real mc"
MC - Master of Ceremonies

It is about what you SAY.  And what you say is what you've written.  That's how it has always been.  No one is on the corner performing pop songs a capella.  No one is on the corner battling rock tunes.  Those genres are based on the MUSIC...there is no rock song without a guitar.  There is no pop smash song with no music.  Why even draw that comparison?  It's nonsensical

Hip hop is about RAPPING.  It's about bars.  It's about battling, with no beats, and no computers, and no gimmicks.  Who is the nicest?  This is how it always has been.

This new generation...MY generation...just wants a new set of rules, and I don't respect it.  

It is about what you SAY.  And what you say is what you've written.  That's how it has always been.  No one is on the corner performing pop songs a capella.  No one is on the corner battling rock tunes.  Those genres are based on the MUSIC...there is no rock song without a guitar.  There is no pop smash song with no music.  Why even draw that comparison?  It's nonsensical

Hip hop is about RAPPING.  It's about bars.  It's about battling, with no beats, and no computers, and no gimmicks.  Who is the nicest?  This is how it always has been.

This new generation...MY generation...just wants a new set of rules, and I don't respect it.  
Respect

This is an old school sumg style (as ninjahood would say) backpacker way of thinking. If you want bars go listen to an immortal technique album. Again only rap/hip hop fans are so ignorant they can't accept anything as a new standard. Constant arguments over what "real" hip hop who's a "real" rapper is all ********. There is no solid definition and the entertainment industry is ever evolving. like what you like but don't knock other artist for doing it different.

Just noticed that my top played Drake songs are all from NWTS, idk, something about this album..

Worst Behavior
Pound Cake
Tuscan Leather
Furthest Thing
Started From the Bottom
The Language
Too Much
Hold On We're Going Home
From Time
305 To My City

Yo, this album was flames..:pimp:

Less debating, more celebrating..What are ya top played Drizzy songs?

NWTS was a banger

So we have officially ushered in an error of hiphop where writing your rhymes and jacking flows don't matter ?

I'll answer my own question..... Desiigners number 1 on billboard

Last edited:
What's sad is you actually believe what you're saying :lol: .  You clearly don't know how to read the album credits.  There are music writers and there are lyric writers.  And when songs are sampled, that writer gets their name in the credits as well...as a writer.  Nobody wrote any of Kendricks raps on TPAB and that's not even up for debate.  It has never been but keep trying to convince yourself that Drake is the same as Kendrick and J Cole .  Whatever floats your boat ::kanye shrug::

And do some of yall even know what a reference track is and what they are for?  Clearly you don't if you think it's not an indication that they wrote/created the song :lol: .  An artist who wrote a song would NEVER require a reference track performed by someone else in order to record the song.  It's literally impossible and makes no sense at all.  

So all those guys listed on the writing credits on Kendrick and Cole's albums are all samples? You're changing the terms cause you know Kendrick and Cole use writers just as well.

A reference track doesn't mean anything. You assume that all those tracks were made by someone else and were given to him. Why couldn't it be that Drake made those songs and wanted someone else to put their spin on it? This is all assumption but you're the only one that believes you know how it all went down.

Last edited:
The point is the reference tracks don't yield any evidence that they were written solely by someone and then given to Drake.

Only person who claimed Drake stole from them was Mo G and he wasn't even talking about music. All he said was dude stole his style when Drake was wearing those same brands for years.

OVO was started with 40 and Oliver who both knew him since he was a teen. Boi 1da, P Reign and T Minus don't exist? They been there since the beginning.

Whoever said refence tracks are like outlines for papers was spot on. If you handed in a paper that somebody else wrote a first draft for...do you deserve credit for that paper?

And I've never heard a thing from these dudes outside of some boi 1da production. Not saying my point of view is gospel, but to be the most popular rapper and I gotta go and really search for your people's music? There's something wrong with that to me.

So we have officially ushered in an error of hiphop where writing your rhymes don't matter ?
I'm guessing they want rap to be more pop. I'm all for evolution but my main thing is if your a RAPPERS idc if it's wack, write your own raps. What's wack to me might be flames to others vice versa. Once u cross that line and relieve reference tracks etc u aren't a rapper anymore. Your an entertainer, a pop artist.

So we have officially ushered in an error of hiphop where writing your rhymes and jacking flows don't matter ?

I'll answer my own question..... Desiigners number 1 on billboard

Or the era where we as fans stop caring about politics and all the happenings backstage and just care about the delivered project.

When you're working with writers you usually already have written material/flows/ideas that you're already working with or that came from other sources. You send those ideas as a framework to your writer and then they add on to it and re-record their reference for what they think you should do with the structure that's already in place. There's more than just one reference track per record. People are just leaking Party's because you know his name. There's video of Pharrell and Kanye doing references for Jay in studio telling him how to say and deliver words that HE wrote. Or giving him hook ideas.

I'm not standing up for Drake. Could care less for his lazy half-*** lyrics.

I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of non-rapping, never recorded music *** dudes in here giving opinions on something they clearly have zero experience with or knowledge about.

Just because I record a reference for you doesn't mean I wrote all or any of it. It just means my job is to help you smooth out the final product and make sure it sounds the best it can sound.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they want rap to be more pop. I'm all for evolution but my main thing is if your a RAPPERS idc if it's wack, write your own raps. What's wack to me might be flames to others vice versa. Once u cross that line and relieve reference tracks etc u aren't a rapper anymore. Your an entertainer, a pop artist.

What's the difference between a rapper and a entertainer?? They are all entertainers to their audience. Popular music is any song that is popular. Jay z/Em have had chart toppers a few times now so that makes them pop too or are ya talking about a style of production/execution when referencing drakes music as pop??

1. U can't be considered a rapper and u rap 50% of the time.

2. Of that 50%, other ****** are penning your ****

3. It's not R&B because he can't sing

4. That leaves 1 thing, pop. If the audience is happy then cool. He's just not a rapper. That's a slap in the face to the dudes that rap and pen their whole projects to call him #1.

Drake used to get scripts for Degrassi, so what do scripts to songs mean to him :lol: ? That's why I don't fret that much over Drake doing it, cause that's him, it's not shocking at other people could be word for word writing and rehearsing his stuff for him. Now if people like Royce Da 5'9", Joe Budden, Elzhi, etc were copy and pasting, I think that would definitely be a problem. Drake being rap's Taylor Swift is pretty spot on

If Proposition Joe Proposition Joe heard 3 bleek reference tracks from the blueprint surface he would be on suicide watch. Would change everything.

Last edited:
1. U can't be considered a rapper and u rap 50% of the time.

2. Of that 50%, other ****** are penning your ****

3. It's not R&B because he can't sing

4. That leaves 1 thing, pop. If the audience is happy then cool. He's just not a rapper. That's a slap in the face to the dudes that rap and pen their whole projects to call him #1.

I understand what you mean but Rihanna can't sing either and she's considered r&b and on the flip side Adele could sing her as off and is considered pop.

Agree to disagree just to end this here

Back
Top Bottom