09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Man the 70/30 article was too much there. I don't blame the Philippines and the Filipinos though. Not everyday do they have a world-class athlete likeManny to root for in sports. The only other person I can think of is Efren Reyes..if you count pool as a sport lol. Fortunately, Manny is exciting is bringingin new fans to boxing and can open doors for other aspiring Filipino boxers to enter the ring and potentially move up. That way the boxing knowledge increasesfor the fan base. A place like Mexico should know how boxing works with all the great fighters they have produced.

U gotta take those articles with a grain of salt, especially from Filipino news outlets that constantly d-ride manny OD and never gives the opponent anycredit....

oh me and my dad got into a huge arguement over those articles... actually the reason i posted those is because i was so upset that he agreed with those 2writers
laugh.gif

I'm all "dad, you didn't even see any of the clottey cotto fight"
dad: "i listened to da pight on da radjo, Cotto ees too slow wid small power, he did nat knockout Clooty."

that basically was our breakfast conversation
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts onCotto/Clottey...

It was def much different seeing the fight live, followed by watching it on television.

- The Garden was rockin', as expected. My pictures didn't come out as good as I wanted them to, so I might post them tomorrow or somethin.
pimp.gif
I didn't have the view that Jag had, but I had no issues with my seats...Igot more than what I paid for, overall...I was pleased.

-
laugh.gif
Them Clottey fans are brave souls. One group in particular spent theentire night running around the Garden draped in their flag. This didn't go over well with us Puerto Ricans (Especially the drunk ones) A fight broke outon one side of the Garden during the middle of the fight...

-
eyes.gif
I'm a HUGE Iron Boy fan, but who's damn decision was it tostop the fight? That cut wasn't serious AT ALL...this was much worse than Guerrero's decision to not continue during his fight with Yordan. It'sjust sad...Ivan Calderon is one of the best PURE boxers i've ever seen...if he had pop and weighed 10-15 pounds more, that fight would've beentelevised.

- Pac-Man got a better ovation than I expected...I went the opposite, though. Alot of "You're next" chants in my section.

As for Cotto/Clottey...

- What the hell is up with this robbery talk? It was a VERY CLOSE fight, but there was no robbery. I had 6 Rds for Cotto, 5 for Clottey, with the 9th rd even.As a loooooongtime fan of the Sweet Science, i've seen robbery...this wasn't one of them. I can agree that 116-111 (
sick.gif
) was ridiculous...and it took away from a very entertaining fight.

- Clottey has nobody to blame but himself...he took a vacation for the final 3 rounds. YOU DON'T WIN FIGHTS THAT WAY...ask Oscar De La Hoya and WinkyWright (F'ed himself up against JT but takin' the 12th off) The fight was close and entertaining, which is why I can see ya'll calling for arematch BUT...should there be one, Cotto should have no problems runnin' through him. Clottey landed the harder punches...but IMO, none of them reallyseemed to rock Cotto. He had more trouble against Chop-Chop, Torres, and Zab. He seemed more concern with the cut than he did with Clottey's punches.Although, that right hand was serious.
eek.gif

- Maybe it's just me...but ever since he outboxed Mosley, does anybody notice Cotto no longer works the body like he once did? He went to the body moreagainst Clottey than he has in recent fights, but he seems to spend more time circling around the ring. His corner needs to tell him to sit on his punches, andkeep the fight in the middle of the ring. Dude spends wayyy too much time against the ropes...

- Considering they've only been together for 9 weeks, i'm gonna give Santiago a chance BUT Cotto has got to learn how to fight while backingup...that's the biggest flaw I see in his game.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

indifferent.gif
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts on Cotto/Clottey...

It was def much different seeing the fight live, followed by watching it on television.

- The Garden was rockin', as expected. My pictures didn't come out as good as I wanted them to, so I might post them tomorrow or somethin.
pimp.gif
I didn't have the view that Jag had, but I had no issues with my seats...I got more than what I paid for, overall...I was pleased.

-
laugh.gif
Them Clottey fans are brave souls. One group in particular spent the entire night running around the Garden draped in their flag. This didn't go over well with us Puerto Ricans (Especially the drunk ones) A fight broke out on one side of the Garden during the middle of the fight...

-
eyes.gif
I'm a HUGE Iron Boy fan, but who's damn decision was it to stop the fight? That cut wasn't serious AT ALL...this was much worse than Guerrero's decision to not continue during his fight with Yordan. It's just sad...Ivan Calderon is one of the best PURE boxers i've ever seen...if he had pop and weighed 10-15 pounds more, that fight would've been televised.

- Pac-Man got a better ovation than I expected...I went the opposite, though. Alot of "You're next" chants in my section.

As for Cotto/Clottey...

- What the hell is up with this robbery talk? It was a VERY CLOSE fight, but there was no robbery. I had 6 Rds for Cotto, 5 for Clottey, with the 9th rd even. As a loooooongtime fan of the Sweet Science, i've seen robbery...this wasn't one of them. I can agree that 116-111 (
sick.gif
) was ridiculous...and it took away from a very entertaining fight.

- Clottey has nobody to blame but himself...he took a vacation for the final 3 rounds. YOU DON'T WIN FIGHTS THAT WAY...ask Oscar De La Hoya and Winky Wright (F'ed himself up against JT but takin' the 12th off) The fight was close and entertaining, which is why I can see ya'll calling for a rematch BUT...should there be one, Cotto should have no problems runnin' through him. Clottey landed the harder punches...but IMO, none of them really seemed to rock Cotto. He had more trouble against Chop-Chop, Torres, and Zab. He seemed more concern with the cut than he did with Clottey's punches. Although, that right hand was serious.
eek.gif

- Maybe it's just me...but ever since he outboxed Mosley, does anybody notice Cotto no longer works the body like he once did? He went to the body more against Clottey than he has in recent fights, but he seems to spend more time circling around the ring. His corner needs to tell him to sit on his punches, and keep the fight in the middle of the ring. Dude spends wayyy too much time against the ropes...

- Considering they've only been together for 9 weeks, i'm gonna give Santiago a chance BUT Cotto has got to learn how to fight while backing up...that's the biggest flaw I see in his game.

Yea, it's definitely different watching it live vs on TV. Everytime I watch a fight live it's harder to get a sense of the scoring. Perhaps becauseof the lack of commentary or maybe it's harder to see what is landing in addition to the influence from a crowd that might favor one fighter.

The Ghanaians we're way outnumbered. There was a group of probably about 40-50 tucked away in the upper corner who were rockin all night but those mixedin with the Puerto Rican fans seemed like they were catching hell. I remember the crowd booing one guy holding the Ghana flag when he was shown on the bigscreen
laugh.gif

My seats were nice but the downside is with some of the more expensive sections your stuck with a boring group of people.

I don't get how anyone can call this a robbery either. Reading around it seemed most people scored it 114-113 for Cotto but there were some tough roundsto score so I have no problem with anyone scoring it for Clottey. Now that I think about it I believe it could be because Clottey dominated certain roundswhereas the rounds Cotto won were closer. So it gave the illusion that Clottey was the clear winner but since fights are judged on a round-by-round basisit's irrelevant. Assuming the compubox numbers are correct (which they never are) Clottey could have landed more but again it's probably the result ofhim having the better rounds in which he won.

Bradley vs Campbell aug 1st who yall like ?

I'll go with the Galaxxy warrior i just think he is the flat out better fighter

nevermind. again.

By the way another impressive victory by Cotto imo, I give it up to Clottey too BUT being able to fight with such a nasty cut for 11 rounds (including 2ndround) was amazing. Very entertaining fight... I wonder why didn't Cotto switch to south paw.

After watching the fight again. I see where you could have went for Cotto. The bigger picture here is Cotto future fights. I think he will have a real hardtime with PBF. He didn't look quick enough and he could barely get to Clottey. I sorta see a little Vargas in him as well. Maybe it was just this fightwas a bad fight for him. I really dunno

Nate. Tim can't punch maybe he can outbox Nate.

Cotto turnin Southpaw to me was a bad idea and I dunno why hbo crew kept wanting him to do it. The most effective punch vs a southpaw is a straight Rrighthand. Cotto already couldn't see that Right coming from an orthodox stance, if he woulda switched he woulda been open to that right frim every angle

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Originally Posted by mextra45

Bradley vs Campbell aug 1st who yall like ?

Tim
Agreed.
Cotto turnin Southpaw to me was a bad idea and I dunno why hbo crew kept wanting him to do it. The most effective punch vs a southpaw is a straight Rright hand. Cotto already couldn't see that Right coming from an orthodox stance, if he woulda switched he woulda been open to that right frim every angle
Well, switching to southpaw, like the HBO crew said, would put the right eye as the lead rather than the left eye which was cut. He didn't gosouthpaw much, but I wouldn't surpristed he did go to it more. MAC has had some small success fighting out of that stance in previous fights.

Originally Posted by Proshares

^ You're $@%!#%% with us right?

Not at All.
Andre Berto: "Im sorry, I'll beat him to the punch everytime"
Andre Berto: "BERTO VS COTTO Lets make it Happen"

Mosley's promoter, Richard Schaefer, called the push for a Pacquiao-Cotto bout "ridiculous" since Mosley knocked out Antonio Margarito in January and Margarito knocked out Cotto last summer. (Cotto beat Mosley by decision in 2007.)

"Cotto has a deep cut; Shane's ready to go," Schaefer said. " 'Sugar' Shane Mosley is the best fighter in that division. He can punch more, he has more speed. Shane really wants this fight and is willing to make concessions. This is the fight people want."

i made a post about it but just realized theres an official boxing thread...sorry
embarassed.gif

Nothing to be sorry for, it's actually for the better it'll help keep all the Manny fanboys in that post and out of this one.

Not at All.
Andre Berto: "Im sorry, I'll beat him to the punch everytime"
Andre Berto: "BERTO VS COTTO Lets make it Happen"
eek.gif
That's unexpected.

I still think you're %@%+$%% with me though
laugh.gif

Shane is going to end up fighting Berto, I don't think he'll get a rematch with Cotto anytime soon.

I'm interested to see what weight MAC will agree to fight at. Anywhere lower than 145, he is getting punked. So if it goes down......will we seeBerto/Mosely, Pun/Mosely?

Andre Berto thinks Cotto is too slow for him, said he wants to fight Cotto ASAP

laugh.gif

He didn't beat Collazo, yet he wants to fight Cotto.

Berto might want that fight, but DiBella wouldn't let it happen...at least not yet.

Either Collazo or Mosley...or I don't even wanna bother with Berto.

I'd rather see Pun just stay at 154 and clean up there. I honestly think he dominates everyone at 147, I don't see it that way at 154. Gunna got meriding the bandwagon
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

I'd rather see Pun just stay at 154 and clean up there. I honestly think he dominates everyone at 147, I don't see it that way at 154. Gunna got me riding the bandwagon
laugh.gif
Yea, I was assuming Shane was going to move up since no other 147 wanted to fight him. Does Shane have an alphabet belt or he just the Lineal W.Wtitle holder?

Back
Top Bottom