09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by Proshares

Can RING mandate fights like the WBA/WBC/WBO/IBF to have #1 and #2 fight for the belt if it is vacant?
Nope. Can you imagine the nightmare if they could though? All the belts would be flying all over the place.

pimp.gif
And Iron's Girl can get the buisness.
laugh.gif
@ her towering son though!

Come everybody towers over Calerdon hes 5' 108 lbs lol .

Please tell me yall saw Ocho Cinco training with Kevin Kelly at the Wildcard gym on NFL all access . he had good hand speed looks like he knew what he wasdoing a lil bit him as a fighter would be hilarious cause of the press conferences straight jokes Id imagine him to be like Chad Dawson but way more populardue to his mouth

Why is JuanMa's next fight a PPV?
smh.gif

They couldn't get that joint on Showtime or Versus?

I know HBO got the Victor Ortiz/Juarez vs. John that night. And Kelly Pavlik was supposed to fight but damn.

Eagle on i think its one of Arums Latin Fury shows hat JuanMa is fighting on , they are prety much JCCjr showcase cards . Arums needs is his guys fighting onaregular basis but Network money is very tight . So Arum will throw together a card for pretty much stay busy fights , you should be able to cath it on the netsomewhere

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

I know HBO got the Victor Ortiz/Juarez vs. John that night. And Kelly Pavlik was supposed to fight but damn.

Ortiz's opponent is Marcos Maidana. Remember the name, I got a feeling Ortiz is going to be tasting the canvas and may lose. He nearly killed Kotelnikand probably should have won that fight.

Originally Posted by mextra45

Eagle on i think its one of Arums Latin Fury shows hat JuanMa is fighting on , they are prety much JCCjr showcase cards . Arums needs is his guys fighting ona regular basis but Network money is very tight . So Arum will throw together a card for pretty much stay busy fights , you should be able to cath it on the net somewhere

That's right. Just wish I could watch it on TV somewhere
laugh.gif

Even though I think JuanMa's gonna destroy dude.

Couple responses from Doug Fischer's mailbag --

Regarding a Pacquiao-Cotto clash, I view it as an even fight, but I'm leaning towards picking the Pac-Monster in that matchup if it's made this year for a variety of reasons (style, the 144-pound catchweight, the punishment Cotto has taken in tough fights with Margarito and Clottey, the inexperienced trainer in his corner, etc.). I think Pacquiao's hand speed and footwork will give Cotto fits. However, I think Cotto's got a much better chin than Hatton and is a much smarter fighter than the versions of the Hitman and De La Hoya that Pacquiao fought. Oh, and Cotto's got a champion's heart. I think he handles adversity -- like a bad cut over his eye -- better than Pacquiao does. Plus, I think Cotto's got the power to seriously hurt Pacquiao, who better watchout for that counter left hook.

3. It funny you bring this potential fight up. Every time I see Victor I tell him the fight that will make him a star is with Cotto. Every time. He's obviously not ready yet, and we won't know until after his fight with Marcos Maidana if he'll ever be ready. The word around the gyms in L.A. is that his chin is suspect. I'm not so sure about that. I know he's been dropped a few times in his fights and in sparring, but he always gets up and takes care of biz. That's important to note. If his chin isn't up to snuff, I think Maidana will expose that. If Ortiz handles the Argentine in impressive fashion I think his brain trust should begin targeting Cotto for either a late 2010 or early 2011 showdown.

COTTO NEEDS A SEASONED TRAINER

I think Steward or Shields would do very well with Cotto, as would Ken Adams, Joe Goossen or Naazim Richardson. I'd add Freddie Roach's name to the list, but I think he's got enough on his plate, don't you?

I don't know if Cotto would lose BIG to Mosley in a rematch, but I would favor the Naazim Richardson-trained version of Sugar Shane.

indifferent.gif
to David Haye, #+@@$*%+$, was looking forward to that fight thisweekend. After looking at the updated schedule on the 1st page, good work by the way, it really pissed me off.

That Pascal v. Diaconu (sp?) could be a good scrap, I know they are both potential Chad Dawson opponents so I am interested to see how that turns out, althoughBad Chad has a tough fight on his hands in Glenn Johnson.

No 24/7 either, got to think that this injury is legit and not some made up BS like Haye because Floyd always stays in shape.

Think he has a fight with Big Truck coming up in July, thinking about making the trek if I can get the hook up.

I was rocking my USS Cunnigham hat in France last week....
pimp.gif

I give that Dude stevie much props , dude will not hesitate to fight in Europe. knowin damn well he aint gonna win a decision over there lol

Glenn Johnson was the analyst and he was like Stevie got Robbed. Wow

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Ortiz's opponent is Marcos Maidana. Remember the name, I got a feeling Ortiz is going to be tasting the canvas and may lose. He nearly killed Kotelnik and probably should have won that fight.

You think so? I'm going to that fight so seeing an upset live would be worth admission

He's a very big puncher from Argentina and Ortiz has been dropped by weaker competition. He's basically faced tomato cans his whole career. Maidana isa pretty big step up in competition for a belt. I wouldn't be surprised if he knocked Ortiz out.

That's what I'm saying I don't think he's near ready to fight for a belt (same thing with paper chin Khan) let alone aim to fight Cotto whatthey were saying. He's not beating ANY belt holders of top flight contenders at 140.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Remember the dude Ortiz fought it looked like he got paid NOT TO FIGHT. It was real suspicious looking

Arnaoutis? Not sure that guy threw one punch, just sat in the corner and took shots.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

You think so? I'm going to that fight so seeing an upset live would be worth admission
laugh.gif
Vic ain't losing.
IMO, its a better bet to see Rocky Juarez upset Chris John.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Remember the dude Ortiz fought it looked like he got paid NOT TO FIGHT. It was real suspicious looking

Arnaoutis? Not sure that guy threw one punch, just sat in the corner and took shots.
Nah it wasnt Aarnaoutis... it was Argentinian, that guy from Greece
that was one of the worst hidden "fixes" in sports history ... I hope its on Youtube cus I wanna see it again

it was Resto I dunno where I got that argentininian stuff from tho lol

but Arnoustis was Iffy too I just watched it, quick stoppage too
laugh.gif

Question the decision, not Cotto's heart

Thursday, June 18, 2009 | Print Entry

Random thoughts for your reading pleasure …

You can say what you want about the decision in last week's Miguel Cotto-Joshua Clottey fight. Some folks thought Clottey won; more people I have encountered since the fight thought Cotto won. I had it 116-111 (like one of the official judges) for Cotto, and have no doubt in my mind that he was the rightful winner of the fight, which I watched closely from the middle of Row 1, just a few feet from the ring apron.

When I got home, I rewatched the fight twice on my DVR, and there was one round in the middle of the fight that I scored for Cotto that I might consider changing to a Clottey round. But whatever you think of the decision, one thing I think we can all agree on is that Cotto showed immense heart in a fight against an excellent opponent.

That was a bad, bad cut over Cotto's left eye, incurred from an accidental head butt in the third round. We've seen it happen too often in recent fights: A guy suffers a cut and finds a way out in order to walk away with a technical decision or a no-contest. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Robert Guerrero and Hasim Rahman. But not Cotto. He easily could have said he wasn't able to see after the fourth round, when it became an official fight, and gone to scorecards for a technical decision. He led 39-36 on all three cards after four rounds. Had Cotto waited until after the fifth, he still would have been ahead 48-46 on all three cards. After the sixth, it was 58-55 across the board. But Cotto, despite blood flowing freely throughout, toughed it out like a fighter is supposed to -- and deserves everyone's respect for it.

I've covered 17 of Cotto's 35 fights from ringside and seen the rest on video. He never has given anything less than 100 percent or done anything but fight like a professional is supposed to, no matter what adversity he has faced. People seem to forget that sometimes.

• I thought referee Arthur Mercante Jr. did an excellent job for Cotto-Clottey. There were some touch-and-go moments when the fight could have gotten out of hand, but he kept control and got it right when he ruled that the cut over Cotto's left eye was caused by an accidental head butt instead of a punch. Good job.

• The fans at Cotto-Clottey -- almost all of them rooting for Cotto -- showed a lot of class by giving Manny Pacquiao, who was ringside for the fight, a rousing ovation when he was introduced to the crowd. I liked that, especially because many of them knew that Pacquiao very likely would be Cotto's next opponent if he beat Clottey. If Bob Arum finalizes Cotto-Pacquiao, it's going to be sensational. As for Clottey, even though he lost, he gained a lot of exposure and respect. That one loss did more for him than any other fight in his career, win or loss.

• Which do you think gave HBO more bang for its buck: the May rematch between Chad Dawson and Antonio Tarver, which cost about $3.2 million, or last week's tremendous battle between Cotto and Clottey, which cost HBO about $2.65 million and tied for the network's best boxing rating of the year? Hey, at least HBO bought the fight. Showtime didn't even bother to make an offer. I'm just sayin'.

• Hmmmm. Maybe it's just a coincidence that Floyd Mayweather Jr. suffered a rib injury, causing his July 18 fight with Juan Manuel Marquez to be postponed, when the fight was dead at the box office. I'm not surprised the fight died at the MGM Grand ticket window because, right or wrong, it was perceived as a mismatch by most -- not to mention that fights in Las Vegas in the brutal heat of the dead of summer usually are a disaster. So Mayweather can heal up and watch from the sideline as Cotto and Pacquiao make their deal to deliver a fight that fans will be truly excited about. I doubt they're going to have any trouble selling pay-per-view subscriptions or MGM Grand tickets for that one.

• Middleweight Daniel Jacobs is 16-0 -- soon to be 17-0 when he beats George Walton on ESPN2 on next week's "Friday Night Fights" -- and one of the best prospects in boxing. He has a crowd-pleasing style, a friendly demeanor outside the ring and maturity beyond his 22 years. He's also from the same Brooklyn neighborhood that produced Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe. In other words, Jacobs is very promotable. So for the life of me, I wish I knew why Golden Boy hasn't made any effort whatsoever to promote him in his hometown. Other than an untelevised spot on the Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones undercard at Madison Square Garden on a card Golden Boy was only peripherally involved in, Jacobs has fought almost exclusively on the West Coast (including six fights in Las Vegas and four in California). His fight with Walton is the main event in, of all places, Tucson, Ariz. It's fine to expose a young fighter to different audiences, but at some point you need to build a fighter's hometown fan base. So far, Jacobs has no hometown fan base because he doesn't fight at home.

• I was schmoozing with newly inducted International Boxing Hall of Famer Larry Merchant the other day. Impressed with what he has seen so far from Russian middleweight prospect and 2008 Olympian Matvey Korobov, Merchant said he could envision a significant fight between Korobov and Paul Williams in a few years. Later in the day I talked to Arum, Korobov's promoter -- the same man who fell in love with Merchant's idea for the Pacquiao-Oscar De La Hoya fight. So I mentioned it to him, and Arum liked it. "It could be," Arum said.

• It may not be the biggest fight in the world, but I am looking forward to seeing junior featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez back in action next week against Olivier Lontchi. It's not because I think so highly of the match, it's because I think Lopez is exciting and could the next superstar Puerto Rican fighter.

• We all know Top Rank is one of the most powerful promoters in boxing. Literally. Does it have an impressive lineup of big punchers or what? It promotes Pacquiao (37 KOs in 49 wins), Cotto (27 KOs in 34 wins), Lopez (23 KOs in 25 wins), Kelly Pavlik (31 KOs in 35 wins), Edwin Valero (25 KOs in 25 fights), and it just added Yuriorkis Gamboa (13 KOs in 15 fights) to its roster. That's a Murderers' Row of big hitters.

• Just how many fights are going to be canceled or postponed? In just the past three weeks we've seen four major fights either canceled or delayed because of an injury or illness: Nikolai Valuev-Ruslan Chagaev, Wladimir Klitschko-David Haye, Andreas Kotelnik-Amir Khan and Mayweather-Marquez. At least Klitschko and Chagaev found each other and will fight for the heavyweight championship on Saturday. And don't forget: It's live at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN Classic. (Shameless plug.)

• Nice of promoter Don King to finally put tickets on sale Thursday for the July 11 fight between bantamweight titlist Joseph "King Kong" Agbeko and junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan. Nothing like giving yourself only 24 days to sell seats for a big arena like the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., which isn't exactly a boxing haven. At least King did one thing that makes sense: For a change, he priced tickets extremely well. Tickets are priced at $75, $40, $25 and $10 with a few "golden circle" seats for $200. It's an excellent card, and at that those prices it's definitely worth attending if you're in the area. I think this is the sleeper fight of the summer.

• If Bernard Hopkins, the No. 1 contender in the Ring Magazine light heavyweight rankings, is going to retire, I wish he would announce it so that the fall rematch between No. 2 Chad Dawson and No. 3 Glen Johnson can be for the vacant Ring Magazine belt.

• Don't forget: Versus has live coverage of what should be an excellent fight Friday night, when light heavyweight titlist Adrian Diaconu defends against fellow Montreal resident Jean Pascal. There will be 20,000 at the Bell Centre for the first title match in history between Montreal fighters. It should be quite a scene.

• I got a press release this week in which former junior welterweight titlist Vivian Harris announced that he is a free agent now that promoter Gary Shaw has given him the release he'd been asking for. My initial reaction: Who cares?

• I don't really have much interest in a rematch between junior flyweight champ Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon and Rodel Mayol, who fought to a six-round technical draw last week on the Cotto-Clottey undercard. I'd much rather see Calderon face somebody like Edgar Sosa in a unification bout. They are clearly the two best in the division and the fight would have the additional intrigue of being another chapter in the storied rivalry between Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters.

DVD pick of the week: When I got the news this week that Top Rank was moving Jorge Arce's fight with Fernando Lumacad from its card on Saturday in Mexico to next Saturday's pay-per-view show in Atlantic City, N.J., it got me thinking about Arce, one of the most exciting fighters of the past several years. So into the archive I delved for the one Arce fight that stands out above all others. It was March 19, 2005, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where Arce and Hussein Hussein waged a memorable battle on the HBO PPV undercard of the first Erik Morales-Pacquiao fight. Arce showed huge heart as he fought with a deep gash on the bridge of his nose. Hussein also took incredible punishment in the bloody, toe-to-toe battle until he could take no more as Arce won the flyweight title eliminator via 10th-round TKO. Often this great fight is overshadowed by the classic main event.

laugh.gif
Sir Rob A Lot wrote:

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

laugh.gif
Vic ain't losing.
IMO, its a better bet to see Rocky Juarez upset Chris John.
nerd.gif

No way, I think John outpoints him again. The only reason he got that gift draw was because they fought in Houston. I'm telling you watch the fight withMaidana & Kotelnik and re-watch Victor's fights. He's fought some of the worst competition out there and 26 fights in he should have foughtsomeone of some kind of recognition already. In my eyes this has a lengthy version of Prescott/Khan written all over it.

Of course if Ortiz wins I'll have to eat crow
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom