09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Marco Antonio Barrera wins, Suffers Cut

Ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera (65-6, 43 KOs) won by third round disqualification over emergency replacement Freudis Rojas (1-8-1) on Saturday night at the Auditorio Telmex de la UG in Zapopan, Jalisco, Mexico. Rojas was DQ'd for a headbutt which left Barrera with a bad gash over his left eye.

The cut could jeopardize Barrera's scheduled March 14 clash against Amir Khan in Manchester, England. Barrera was originally slated to face John Nolasco on Saturday night, but Nolasco didn't show up at the weigh-in, so Marco Antonio was pressed into facing Rojas, whom he knew absolutely nothing about.

i didn't even know Barrera had a fight.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

LMAO @ hooks or bust
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yo, thats how we colombians handle our @*$+. We don't got time to waste on these "jabs" and "crosses". Manly punches FTW.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Manly punches! i gotta remember that one

Oh here's Philboxing's report on Barrera's fight.. this writer doesn't like Barrera too much
laugh.gif

Barrera Wins by DQ, Calls Out Pacquiao and Marquez

By Hesiquio Balderas
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 02 Feb 2009

barrera.03.150x150.jpg

Out of shape, with fat in his stomach, Marco Antonio Barrera, the former 3 time world champion came to the ring last night in Guadalajara, Mexico to face late replacement Freudis Rojas from Cuba.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
It was an ugly fight from the beginning with Rojas running away from Barrera, and Marco missed a lot of punches because he was very slow and could not land his heavy blows.

By the end of the second round, Marco showed the same lack of discipline he showed against Juan Manuel Marquez, when after dropping Juan to the canvas, he punched him while Marquez was down, and the same happened with the best pound for pound fighter in the world Manny Pacquiao in their second fight, after a clinch Barrera landed a hard punch to Pacquiao chin and that cost him a point.

Barrera did punch way after the round had ended and the referee only warned him this time. By the third round Barrera started to land a few combinations but Rojas had good movement and made Barrera miss a lot of punches when the Cuban pushed Marco against the ropes, he jumped on Barrera with his head in front and head butted the Mexican fighter. It was a nasty gash that may caused a lot of trouble to the former great who is scheduled to face British fighter Amir Khan.

After the fight Barrera stated that he would like to be the first Mexican to win championships in four different weight classes and that he would like to face Juan Manuel Marquez again because now is a personal thing, he also would like to get another crack at the best fighter on the planet Manny Pacquiao.

The funny thing is that he called out two of the best in the world (and former rivals) and never mentioned the name of the man he needs to get by next, Amir Khan.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

LMAO @ hooks or bust
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yo, thats how we colombians handle our @*$+. We don't got time to waste on these "jabs" and "crosses". Manly punches FTW.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Manly punches! i gotta remember that one

Oh here's Philboxing's report on Barrera's fight.. this writer doesn't like Barrera too much
laugh.gif

Barrera Wins by DQ, Calls Out Pacquiao and Marquez

By Hesiquio Balderas
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 02 Feb 2009

barrera.03.150x150.jpg

Out of shape, with fat in his stomach, Marco Antonio Barrera, the former 3 time world champion came to the ring last night in Guadalajara, Mexico to face late replacement Freudis Rojas from Cuba.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
It was an ugly fight from the beginning with Rojas running away from Barrera, and Marco missed a lot of punches because he was very slow and could not land his heavy blows.

By the end of the second round, Marco showed the same lack of discipline he showed against Juan Manuel Marquez, when after dropping Juan to the canvas, he punched him while Marquez was down, and the same happened with the best pound for pound fighter in the world Manny Pacquiao in their second fight, after a clinch Barrera landed a hard punch to Pacquiao chin and that cost him a point.

Barrera did punch way after the round had ended and the referee only warned him this time. By the third round Barrera started to land a few combinations but Rojas had good movement and made Barrera miss a lot of punches when the Cuban pushed Marco against the ropes, he jumped on Barrera with his head in front and head butted the Mexican fighter. It was a nasty gash that may caused a lot of trouble to the former great who is scheduled to face British fighter Amir Khan.

After the fight Barrera stated that he would like to be the first Mexican to win championships in four different weight classes and that he would like to face Juan Manuel Marquez again because now is a personal thing, he also would like to get another crack at the best fighter on the planet Manny Pacquiao.

The funny thing is that he called out two of the best in the world (and former rivals) and never mentioned the name of the man he needs to get by next, Amir Khan.

dude needs to retire...

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Marco Antonio Barrera wins, Suffers Cut

Ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera (65-6, 43 KOs) won by third round disqualification over emergency replacement Freudis Rojas (1-8-1) on Saturday night at the Auditorio Telmex de la UG in Zapopan, Jalisco, Mexico. Rojas was DQ'd for a headbutt which left Barrera with a bad gash over his left eye.

The cut could jeopardize Barrera's scheduled March 14 clash against Amir Khan in Manchester, England. Barrera was originally slated to face John Nolasco on Saturday night, but Nolasco didn't show up at the weigh-in, so Marco Antonio was pressed into facing Rojas, whom he knew absolutely nothing about.
i didn't even know Barrera had a fight.
I thought he was fightin Diaz?

Juan Manuel Marquez is fighting Diaz

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
"manly punches"
Amo,
U on a roll.

If PBF wants to go down in history as Al time great (like he claims) he has to at least fight most of those guys. He don't even have to win em all. Just get in the ring n have good showings.
U can't claim to be one of the greats only having fought 2 or 3 great fighters.
smh.gif

I don't see it in floyd. He wouldn't step in the ring with Williams. He jsut wouldn't. Sugar Ray Leonard fought Everyone. Duran too. Hearns too. And all 3 weren't afraid to move it up or down in weight to get superfights.
This new school age of boxers irk me
That's why I am a huge fan of Punisher.
He a throwback
pimp.gif

1. yall would be bashing him like DLH if he took great fights and lost them

2. they had to fight everyone back then to get a paycheck going. they wasnt getting a lifetime payday of 20 million like guys do now.

3. i been a paul williams fan from day 1, but lets see when he starts getting more big name fights and money if he dont start paper hunting. it happens toeveryone.

and i forgot to bring this up last week

Margarito made about $2.4 million to get his block knocked off by Mosley. Do you think Margarito and his managers, Sergio Diaz and Francisco Espinoza, are having second thoughts now about not taking the $4 million offer made by promoter Dan Goossen for Margarito to face Paul Williams in a rematch instead?
roll.gif
i laugh at this cause all i heard was the slowman onlyfighting mosley cause it would be a bigger pay day but this fool got chump change

i read an article about a year or so again, for the life of me i cant remember where, talking about floyd having problems with his hand. how credible, and ifit is, just how bad is the situation with his hands? or perhaps that was just some temporary injury during a training camp?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
"manly punches"
Amo,
U on a roll.

If PBF wants to go down in history as Al time great (like he claims) he has to at least fight most of those guys. He don't even have to win em all. Just get in the ring n have good showings.
U can't claim to be one of the greats only having fought 2 or 3 great fighters.
smh.gif

I don't see it in floyd. He wouldn't step in the ring with Williams. He jsut wouldn't. Sugar Ray Leonard fought Everyone. Duran too. Hearns too. And all 3 weren't afraid to move it up or down in weight to get superfights.
This new school age of boxers irk me
That's why I am a huge fan of Punisher.
He a throwback
pimp.gif

1. yall would be bashing him like DLH if he took great fights and lost them

2. they had to fight everyone back then to get a paycheck going. they wasnt getting a lifetime payday of 20 million like guys do now.

3. i been a paul williams fan from day 1, but lets see when he starts getting more big name fights and money if he dont start paper hunting. it happens to everyone.
Co-Sign ALL of that

BTW Regardless of how many greats fighters hes fought in his career, Floyd is the best/most complete boxer Ive ever seen fight in my life and its not evenclose. Ill stand by that no matter what fights he handpicks in the future
laugh.gif

When he fights Manny in December, hes gonna manhandle him

Originally Posted by brrraptors

i read an article about a year or so again, for the life of me i cant remember where, talking about floyd having problems with his hand. how credible, and if it is, just how bad is the situation with his hands? or perhaps that was just some temporary injury during a training camp?
From what Ive heard,hes had hand issues for years and goes through treatment on a regular basis

Seen that fight before. I'm Not interested in seein that again.

Nah. Floyd aint the most complete fighter I've seen.

RJJ was that total package in my eyes.

Bernabe Concepcion Vs. Steven Luevano for Luevanos title is finalized for the Pac Hatton undercard. woo hoo, time for another filipino world champion again(hopefully). Good luck Abe!

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

RJJ was that total package in my eyes.

^^What not even close homie. Just because hedominated a division and beat a joke of a heavy weight champion in John Ruiz, doesn't make him complete. Roy'sdown fall was that in his prime we never had any really contenders in his weight class. Now I know that's not his fault but when he finally got challengeda little later in his career and not completely out of his prime, he got laid out. Most complete fighters I've ever seen were Pernell Whitaker, PBF, andJulio Cesar Chavez. Now if Pac Man continues to progress like in the past few years, he will join the list.

Where the hell is this press conf? Looks like an elementary school multi-purpose room.

Well sweet pea is my favorite fighter ever. But he didn't have power for his weight division like roy had for his

So I wouldn't call sweet pea the complete fighter

Originally Posted by rayfizzle

Bernabe Concepcion Vs. Steven Luevano for Luevanos title is finalized for the Pac Hatton undercard. woo hoo, time for another filipino world champion again (hopefully). Good luck Abe!

sweet! Abe's that dude! I love his footwork.. Dude 'springs' into punching range then springs back out. but he needs to be more aggressivethough. As we say here in Cebu, "sigurista mo numbag" Meaning, he only punches when there's an opening. Slow starter... but when he punches,he got speed and pop in them. This will be a tough fight for him

Sweet Pea was fun to watch. Was painful to watch him lose to Tito. RJJ may not be the GOAT... but IMHO i think he just had the best style

RJJ may not be the GOAT... but IMHO i think he just had the best style
^^^ I agree with that statment 100%. But I think he's one of the few fighters that comes close to the most complete.

I think I'm taking Luevano on that one...

Golden Boy's prospects should be on "ShoBox"

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 | Print Entry

The return of your random thoughts …

• On one hand, you have Showtime's "ShoBox: The New Generation," the series that emphasizes prospect development. Since the series debuted in July 2001, it has served as a launching pad for numerous future titleholders and significant contenders, including Juan Diaz, Jeff Lacy, Paul Williams, Chad Dawson, Kelly Pavlik and many others.

On the other hand, you have Golden Boy Promotions, one of the top promotional companies in all the land, one that is loaded with young talent on its roster. It has many of the most promising prospects in boxing.

There are several Golden Boy prospects who fit right into the wheelhouse of the kind of fighters "ShoBox" likes to showcase. Among them are Daniel Jacobs, Danny Garcia, twins Carlos Velazquez and Juan Velazquez, Hector Sanchez, Craig McEwan, Vicente Escobedo and Rock Allen. There are others who aren't quite ready for "ShoBox" just yet, but they should be soon, including Adrien Broner, Erisandy Lara, Deontay Wilder, Seth Mitchell, Hylon Williams and Jermell Charlo.

The point is Golden Boy is loaded with young guns and "ShoBox" is all about featuring the best young guns. Until Showtime and Golden Boy get together for some cards, everyone loses -- the network, the promotional company, the young fighters and the fans who should be exposed to an entire segment of tomorrow's stars.

Of course, Golden Boy does the vast majority of its business with Showtime rival HBO, which might have something to do with lack of Golden Boy prospects on Showtime, but there's no reason they can't get together. It would be good for everyone.

The good news here is that after I thought about this, I called Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer to see if it was something he'd also thought about and, much to my delight, he said that his right-hand man, Dave Itskowitch (recently engaged, so congrats), has been speaking with Showtime's Gordon Hall about doing some shows together. Schaefer said there is interest on both sides. That was great to hear. Now make it so.

• Could the California State Athletic Commission work any slower? I mean just exactly how long does it take to figure out what was inside Antonio Margarito's hand wraps? This is just ridiculous. The California commission makes the line at the DMV feel fast.

• Speaking of Margarito, if he is in fact found guilty of having tried to doctor his hand wraps before his fight with Sugar Shane Mosley, I have the perfect fight for him. Margarito against Floyd Mayweather Jr. Margarito can use all the plaster he wants and Mayweather can use the same brass knuckles that he used to knock out the Big Show at last year's WrestleMania.

Now that the Ricky Hatton-Manny Pacquiao fight has been signed for May 2, I think Hatton's fans have already started drinking.

• It is great for boxing that the heavyweight title bout between Vitali Klitschko and Juan Carlos Gomez will be televised live on ESPN on March 21. And that's regular ESPN. The Uno. Not ESPN2 or ESPN Classic. To have a fight of that significance available on basic cable, rather than the more limited availability of HBO, and even more limited availability of Showtime, is great for the sport. Now, just two wishes: 1. It's an entertaining bout. 2. ESPN gets behind it a little bit and makes sure viewers know that it is on. Fingers crossed.

Marco Antonio Barrera's decision to go through with a tune-up fight six weeks before his showdown with Amir Khan was stupid. I thought that even before he suffered a cut over his left eye from an intentional head butt by a scrub opponent in the third round, leading to a disqualification. If the fight with Khan is called off or postponed, Barrera will have nobody to blame but himself.

• Freaks, we have a leading candidate for upset of the year already: Michael Katsidis won his fight last week without any drama.

They're both looking for a meaningful fight, they both love to talk and they're both from the same hometown. How about Zab Judah following through with his idea of moving down to junior welterweight and facing fellow Brooklynite Paulie Malignaggi? Could be a fun fight.

Judah-Malignaggi isn't the only fight I'd like to see at junior welterweight. How about newly crowned titleholder Juan Urango against Colombian countryman Ricardo Torres? Can you say "bombs away?"

• I think the 10th round of the Urango-Herman Ngoudjo fight is still going.

• It would be nice if the WBA would come out publicly and explain itself with regard to the status of the Feb. 7 Ruslan Chagaev-Carl Davis Drummond fight. As it stands, the WBA recognizes Nikolai Valuev as its heavyweight titleholder and Chagaev as its ridiculous "champion in recess," a tag it gave him when he injured his foot and was unable to fight most of last year. The idea was that when he was healthy, he would have to face Valuev. Fair enough. Now, Chagaev is coming back and fighting Drummond in what is being billed as a title fight. So which man, Valuev or Chagaev, is actually the WBA titleholder and what is the status of the other fight? I have repeatedly asked the WBA for an explanation of the situation and all I have gotten is a lot of nothing. The WBA is a joke. Of course, that comes as no surprise. We're talking about an organization that sometimes recognizes three titleholders in one division and an organization whose rankings are horrific.

• I don't know about you, but when B.J. Flores turned down a Feb. 27 shot at cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek and Showtime instead ended up with Adamek defending against Johnathon Banks, I think the network got itself a better fight. Ditto for HBO on its March 7 "Boxing After Dark" show when Winky Wright School of Boxing Business graduate Vivian Harris got cute and knocked himself out of a match with Victor Ortiz and he was replaced by Mike Arnaoutis.

• Did Joe Calzaghe retire yet?

• The proposed Jermain Taylor-Allan Green fight does nothing for me. There are several other opponents I'd rather see Taylor fight.

• Don't you think that after seeing how Mosley tore apart Margarito that promoter Lou DiBella is breathing a sigh of relief that the Mosley-Andre Berto fight didn't work out?

After Robert Guerrero's March 7 HBO fight and Humberto Soto's March 28 junior lightweight title defense, the match I want to see at 130 pounds is Soto vs. Guerrero. Both sides have told me they're interested. Bless them.

• Props to Showtime for picking up the rights to televise Lucian Bute's super middleweight title defense against Fulgencio Zuniga on March 13. I know "ShoBox" is usually meant for prospects, but when there's an opportunity to televise a quality fight like this one for a relatively cheap price, it must be done.

• I'm looking forward to seeing middleweight prospect Fernando Guerrero in action this week on "Friday Night Fights."

If junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan beats Jorge Arce on Saturday, how about this for a can't-miss action fight: Darchinyan moving up to bantamweight, which he says he wants to do, to challenge Joseph "King Kong" Agbeko. Just the thought of the fight gives me chills.

DVD pick of the week: In honor of today's 13th anniversary of the premier of HBO's landmark series "Boxing After Dark," was there really any other choice this week? Had to go with Barrera's epic 12th-round TKO of Kennedy McKinney from Feb. 3, 1996. It was the first main event of the first "Boxing After Dark," and it remains one of the greatest fights ever televised by HBO. It's the fight that also launched Barrera into mainstream boxing consciousness as he retained his junior featherweight title in dramatic fashion, surviving one knock down and decking McKinney five times in an all-time classic slugfest. I could watch the fight all day.

Judah vs Paulie press conference
roll.gif

He still lookin down at his feet instead of his opponents?

I think he gonna get rocked by JT just like Miranda did him.

*And gad damn they must be doing carbon dating on those plaster hand wraps. This is ridiculous.

The hearing is on Feb 10 so that when you will hear the results on that handwrap .

As far as complete fighters go I would have to say its Ricardo Lopez that man did everything perfect you cant find a hole in his game .
Sweet Pea was complete we all the the Defense was incredible but the offense was great went to the body effectively I guess you could knock him for punchingpower but he still dominated everybody at 135 remember the man was 5'6 and fought and won a title at 154 .
I guess in boxing we can look at it from does the guy work from defense first or offense first or is it seamlessly integrated .
Another you can take a look at is Roberto Duran the man was vicious look at the subtle things he did with his feet ,inside defense great stuff
Roy is a special case was he is one of the most athletically and talented guys ever and that let him get away with not so great fundamentals as he was so fasthe'd hit you and be gone before you knew it .

Originally Posted by Proshares

. How about newly crowned titleholder Juan Urango against Colombian countryman Ricardo Torres? Can you say "bombs away?"
i think Amo's gonna implode
laugh.gif

Urango wins that fight if it happens. Torres can't get out the way and has a shaky chin. Urango on the other hand has a head made of granite. It'll be fun while it lasts, but it would end up like a really poor-mans version of Hagler-Hearns. Entertaining for a few rounds, but the dude with thebetter chin will walk through the necessary shots until he can put the weaker chinned man away.

shane mosley is extremely overrated... please NIKETALK do not let this fight fool you. Mosley wouldn't beat manny pacquiao if manny had one hand.

i'm sooooo tight. i haven't been on my boxing in madddd long!!!! basically because i can't afford the good cable channels at this time. BOXINGeasily one of the greatest sports under the sun. whats better than seeing somebody get their rump handed to them, lol.

Back
Top Bottom