09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

PM sent...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
, thanks haze!

Imma have to use it some other time. Had a long day and I feel like Carlito after he pushed Benny Blanco down the stairs. Just gonna let it slide.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Am I the only one that thinks Allan Green has shot at winning?

I think Green - Taylor might not be so bad

It would make a decent BAD throw one of the up and comers HBO keeps pimping and thats a hell of a card

Ghost Guerrero a master at maintaining his focus

It's only February. But in my book, Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero has already clinched the title of 2009's most focused athlete. Guerrero, the former world featherweight champ from Gilroy, had a big fight 11 days ago in Los Angeles. As 20,000 fans watched, Guerrero knocked out Edel Ruiz in the first round. It was his first bout as a junior lightweight, on the undercard of Shane Mosley's fight at Staples Center.

But if you follow boxing closely, you already knew that.

Here is what you did not know: Guerrero climbed into the ring less than 48 hours after leaving the bedside of his wife, Casey, in a South Bay hospital. She was having chemotherapy drugs pumped directly into her brain to wipe out cancer cells. Casey has dealt with leukemia the past two years.

"What I go through is nothing compared to what she goes through," Guerrero said recently. "It's always right there, a weight on my shoulders. But my wife, she wants me to keep fighting. She wants me to be in there. It makes me want to work harder, seeing what she goes through."

Seated at the back table of a Gilroy coffee shop, Guerrero was still visibly emotional about the ordeal. He had not mentioned it to reporters just before or after the fight. He thought Casey didn't need to deal with extra media attention.But now, with his wife resting at home and in pretty good shape, Robert was willing to open up.

"It didn't affect my training for the fight," Robert said. "It did affect me mentally. It kind of threw me off."

Not too much, apparently. Guerrero took only 43 seconds to KO his opponent. If that's not the definition of focus, what is "When I'm in the ring, that's when I'm at peace," Robert explained. "My problems fall away. That's my comfort zone."

The Bay Area has so many teams and athletes to follow. The unfortunate result: Far too many good stories can be way too ignored. Guerrero is one. Fighting out of his hometown gym, he has carved out a global reputation by winning bouts in Demark, Las Vegas and Miami. But the 25-year-old Guerrero remains relatively unknown here.

He aims to change that situation. Guerrero will fight next on a March 7 show at HP Pavilion. It is expected to be an HBO telecast in the network's "Boxing After Dark" series. Details and ticket information will be announced soon.

"I can't wait," Guerrero said. "The event's going to be huge. ... I want to fight all over. But the big fights, I want to fight here." Meanwhile, the biggest fight of all continues at home. Casey's health seemed fine at Christmas. She and Robert enjoyed the holidays with their two children. He was excited after signing a favorable new deal with Oscar De La Hoya's company, Golden Boy Promotions. Robert began training hard for the Jan. 24 fight in Los Angeles.And then, just days before Robert was scheduled to fly south, Casey noticed some strange symptoms.

"She was having neck pain," Robert said, "and her doctor got kind of nervous. He had her admitted to the hospital and ran a bunch of tests."

The results were not happy ones. Casey's spinal fluid contained leukemia cells. Doctors wanted to treat the situation immediately. They drilled a small hole in Casey's skull. A port was inserted, where the chemo could be injected. "It's kind of like when you stick in a needle and pump up a basketball," Robert said, using the best analogy he could muster. "It's amazing how they do it."

He postponed his trip to Los Angeles until the last possible moment. After he arrived, Robert received a text message from Casey that the chemo had been successful. No more cancer cells could be detected in her spinal fluid. Robert called Casey before entering the ring and promised to call back right after the fight, win or lose.

"Twenty minutes later, I was on the phone again," he said. "She asked why it was so soon and I said, 'Hey, it's over!' Thank the Lord. What a day. Let me tell you, the ride home was great."

Not as great as this piece of news: Casey plans to be at ringside on March 7

pimp.gif
The Ghost...don't sleep ya'll.

Glad he moved up, a fight with Humberto Soto would be
eek.gif

EDIT: Forgot how to post the article but S...M...F...H. Mayorga pulled out of the Angulo bout due to "injury"
mad.gif
Was lookin' forward to this fight too. Well, at least we still get Nate andMartinez/Cintron.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

pimp.gif

eek.gif

EDIT: Forgot how to post the article but S...M...F...H. Mayorga pulled out of the Angulo bout due to "injury"
mad.gif
Was lookin' forward to this fight too. Well, at least we still get Nate and Martinez/Cintron.

I hope they're able to pull that off...

!+%@#!+ Mayorga what kind of injury did they say it was?

Martinez/Cintron

man, I dont have a good feeling about this fight.
They threw him to the wolves Early. I guess they're counting on Kermmy landin that Rigth hand early

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

Martinez/Cintron

They threw him to the wolves Early. I guess they're counting on Kermmy landin that Rigth hand early
Kermit the frog doesnt have a chance in this fight

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

Martinez/Cintron

Yea but it's not like Martinez got that Amir Khan chin.

[h2]The reinvention of Darchinyan[/h2]
Comment Email Print
By Steve Farhood
Special to ESPN.com
Archive

[h5]Vic Darchinyan Prepares For Arce[/h5]
Vic Darchinyan trains with Donatella Huultin to prepare for Arce
Vic Darchinyan Prepares For Arce
[h6]VIDEO PLAYLIST
video2.png
[/h6]
  • Vic Darchinyan Prepares For Arce [h5]Vic Darchinyan Prepares For Arce[/h5]
    Vic Darchinyan trains with Donatella Huultin to prepare for Arce
  • Arce's Preparation [h5]Arce's Preparation[/h5]
    Jorge Arce is leaving no stone unturned in his preparation for Vic Darchinyan

ESPN.com doesn't have to conduct a poll to find out why fans like to watch Vic Darchinyan. If you're familiar with the Australia-based super flyweight, the reasons are self-evident: Vic talks big, punches bigger and postures as if his role models were the Iron Sheik and whoever is trying to kill Jack Bauer.

But to understand why Darchinyan is a keeper, you have to put on your round glasses and white beard. After a single session, Ziggy Freud would declare, "Vic is a 115-pound heavyweight, but without a heavyweight's fragility."

The good doctor would be speaking psychologically, of course.

On Saturday, super flyweight titlist Darchinyan, 31-1-1 (25 KOs), will defend three alphabet belts against former junior flyweight titlist Jorge Arce in Anaheim. Darchinyan has promised Arce "is going to be my human piñata."

Same old Vic -- but not really.

[+] Enlarge
Emily Harney/Fightwireimages.comIt took an embarrassing loss to Nonito Donaire, right, for Vic Darchinyan to come to his senses and realize he had to retool.

Darchinyan was declared one-dimensional, if not entirely dismissible, after the first loss of his career, a one-punch disaster against Nonito Donaire in 2007. Until that point, he was unbeaten, with a record of 7-0 (6 KOs) in title fights. And the one opponent who didn't get stopped, Nonito's older brother Glenn, suffered a broken jaw.

"Vic was consumed by the fact that his win over [Glenn] Donaire was called a technical decision, and something other than a knockout," said Gary Shaw, who promotes Darchinyan. "That's all he cared about."

Maybe it helped that after Nonito Donaire restored his family's pride, Darchinyan had no memory of the left hook that had separated him from a version of the flyweight title. In fact, in the immediate aftermath, he wasn't even aware that he had been KO'd.

Instead of stewing in his own vulnerability (as a previously undefeated heavyweight might have done), Darchinyan used the bout to facilitate change. For a pure puncher, that's a tough thing to do.

"The loss to Donaire was the best thing that ever happened to Vic," Shaw said. "It humbled him hugely. He still believes he can beat everybody, and if I told him tomorrow that he was gonna fight Manny Pacquiao at 130 pounds, he'd be the most excited fighter in the world. But he's different now. He takes more interest in defense and style. He may not always like it, but now he's under control."

"If I had been a betting man," said Showtime analyst Al Bernstein, "I would've bet that after the knockout loss to Donaire, Darchinyan wouldn't have been the same fighter. But I think what happened to him is similar to what happened to Pacquiao. When Pacquiao moved up in weight to fight guys like David Diaz and Oscar De La Hoya, he realized he could be hurt, and he reinvented himself.

"For Darchinyan to do the same thing at his age [Darchinyan is now 33] is very impressive. He still has a gunslinger mentality, but he's going about it in a different way. He's paying more attention to detail, and as a result, there's a big difference between the fighter now and two years ago."

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Danny MoloshokNew and improved: A revamped Vic Darchinyan proved too much for an outgunned Cristian Mijares.

Since losing to Donaire, Darchinyan is 3-0-1. He knocked out Filipino club fighter Federico Catubay; drew in the Philippines with world-class local favorite Z Gorres; dethroned super flyweight titlist Dimitri Kirilov in five rounds; and, most impressively, crushed two-time titlist and pound-for-pound entrant Cristian Mijares in nine one-sided rounds.

"I didn't think he'd beat Mijares, and he knew I didn't think he'd beat him," Shaw said. "But every day his new manager, Elias Nassar, would send me an e-mail mentioning Mijares, and every day he'd write Mijares' name in bigger type.

"And before the fight, at every meal Vic would make the same speech about how he was faster and stronger than Mijares and was gonna break him down. And now he's saying, 'If you think I was good against Mijares, wait until you see me against Arce.'"

Before the Mijares fight, Ivan Goldman wrote in The Ring magazine that Darchinyan was "largely considered an overconfident, egomaniacal goofball on a downward slide."

It's safe to say that perception has changed.

We're all at least occasionally guilty of overvaluing a fighter's most recent bout, and Darchinyan might never sparkle as brightly as he did in mangling Mijares. But here's a surgeon general-type warning for Arce: If this 115-pound heavyweight is indeed just learning how sweet his science can be, one of the most exciting fighters in the world might also become one of the best.

Steve Farhood is a boxing analyst for Showtime and a writer/columnist for Boxing Monthly.

I'm good friends with like 5 guys Darchinyan fought 2 of them he KOed
embarassed.gif
plus their coaches so pardon me if i kinda hate this guy
laugh.gif
I still think he'll TKO Arce in 4-6 rounds. Though Darchinyan can be hurtwith body shots which is Arce's forte..

Should be a great fight

ARCE MEDIA DAY PHOTOS

PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 05 Feb 2009

arce.media.day.090204.01.300w.jpg

Santa Ana, Ca. --- Two-time world champion Jorge Arce(ctr) of Mexico gives interviews for the media while hundreds of fans look on for his public media day Wednesday in Santa Ana,California. Arce is ready to go for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
arce.media.day.090204.02.300w.jpg

Two-time world champion Jorge Arce of Mexico shadow boxes for the hundreds of fans that showed up for his public media day Wednesday in Santa Ana,California. Arce is ready to go for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

arce.media.day.090204.03.300w.jpg

Two-time world champion Jorge Arce(ctr) of Mexico gives interviews for the media while hundreds of fans look on for his public media day Wednesday in Santa Ana,California. Arce is ready to go for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

arce.media.day.090204.04.300w.jpg

Two-time world champion Jorge Arce of Mexico hits the speed bag for the hundreds of fans that showed up for his public media day Wednesday in Santa Ana,California. Arce is ready to go for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

LONDON (AP) -- Former super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe has retired after going unbeaten in 46 professional fights.

The 36-year-old Welshman, who outpointed Roy Jones Jr. in his last fight in November, made the announcement Thursday.

He told the BBC: "I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in boxing."

Calzaghe held the WBO super middleweight world title for more than 10 years, unifying the title against Mikkel Kessler in April 2007, before moving up to light heavyweight to fight Bernard Hopkins and Jones.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

pimp.gif

eek.gif

mad.gif
Was lookin' forward to this fight too. Well, at least we still get Nate and Martinez/Cintron.
Why..?
laugh.gif

I aint gonna lie, i wanted to see Mayorga vs Angulo.

Angulo always gets hit. and It woulda been interesting to see if he could withstand a Mayorga Right hook.

them punches almost ended Vernon Forest Life on 2 different ocasions
laugh.gif
and dont forget Mayorga had a decent showing vs Shane too

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I aint gonna lie, i wanted to see Mayorga vs Angulo.

Angulo always gets hit. and It woulda been interesting to see if he could withstand a Mayorga Right hook.

them punches almost ended Vernon Forest Life on 2 different ocasions
laugh.gif
and dont forget Mayorga had a decent showing vs Shane too

Jesus that %@%! seems like it was an eternity ago...I was looking forward to Angulo stepping up to a decent test kinda the same way Berto just did...

My money is on it wasnt an injuy that forced Mayorga to pull out it was because he probably weighs 180lbs right now .

The pity pat slapper is gone what will I do lol
Vic vs Arce is two of the most cocky/arrogant guys in the world fighting each other

A lot of people believe that Mayorga withdrew from the Angulo fight because of his weight because they said he didn't show up for the 30 day pre-weigh in.I also wanted to see Mayorga vs Angulo i think Angulo is like Margarito and that a pure boxer would beat him but i wanted to see if he could take a punch fromMayorga.

Calzaghe retired...
eyes.gif

i choose Vic to beat Jorge "El Travieso" Arce i just hope Arce does his stupid little dance and gets a punch straight to the jaw.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mextra45

My money is on it wasnt an injuy that forced Mayorga to pull out it was because he probably weighs 180lbs right now .

The pity pat slapper is gone what will I do lol
Vic vs Arce is two of the most cocky/arrogant guys in the world fighting each other

No it's probably the cigarettes he refuses to stop smoking while he's training
laugh.gif

Vic vs Arce I can't +%!%$%# wait.

ARCE-DARCHINYAN PRESSCON PHOTOS

PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2009

arce-darchinyan.pr.01.300w.jpg

Orange, CA -- (L-R) Two-time world champion Jorge Arce of Mexico and 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan of Australia pose during a press conference for their upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
arce-darchinyan.pr.02.300w.jpg

Two-time world champion Jorge Arce(L) of Mexico speaks during a press conference for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan(R) of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

arce-darchinyan.pr.03.300w.jpg

Hall of Fame Top Rank promoter Bob Arum(ctr) speaks as two-time world champion Jorge Arce(L) of Mexico and 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan(R) of Australia look on during a press conference for their upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

arce-darchinyan.pr.04.300w.jpg

Two-time world champion Jorge Arce of Mexico raises his arm during a press conference for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion 'Mighty' Vic Darchinyan(R) of Australia, Saturday,Feb 7 at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime. --- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank
i didn't know Darchy changed his monicker to "Mighty"
grin.gif
or maybe Philboxing's just being corny by putting that. His hoody (which looks pretty nice) does still say Raging Bull

Vic always reminds me of this dude from the move "The Beach"
_638111_carlyle150.jpg

'Dre Ward fight tomorrow
pimp.gif

Vic vs. Arce Sat
pimp.gif

HBO B.A.D. next Sat
pimp.gif

February is gonna be [dr. dre]xxplosive![/dr.dre]
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom