09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

looks like norm is staying
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Whip got interviewed for the Cinncinati job so maybe there is something to the USF rumor.

EDIT-

He's just a backup plan it looks like.

Skip Holtz already interviewed and so did Tommy Bowden from Clemson.
Fear,
Why is Whip so eager to leave or is it somethin beyond that? He seemed to get the "O" to be the best its been in a while.

[h3]AFA's Calhoun calls team meeting[/h3]
January, 14, 2010
Jan 14

1:22

PM ET

Email Print Share

By Graham Watson

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun has called a team meeting for 5:50 p.m. MT, according to the Colorado Springs Gazette.

The specifics of the meeting are not known.

Calhoun has been mentioned as a top candidate to replace Lane Kiffin at Tennessee. Kiffin left the Vols on Tuesday to take the head-coaching job at USC.

Calhoun interviewed with Tennessee to replace Philip Fulmer 14 months ago, but was passed over for Kiffin.

Calhoun is 25-14 in three seasons at Air Force, including three consecutive trips to the Armed Forces Bowl.

UPDATED 12:30 p.m. - We just talked to some people familiar with the Tennessee search. While they could not say with absolutely certainty, the consensus was the Calhoun was not likely going to end up there.

"The last I've heard from talking to people, [Calhoun] is looking like he is going to stay at Air Force. I'm not saying it's a done deal or anything, but that's what we're hearing. If you ask me right now if I think he'll be the next coach at Tennessee, I'd say no."

This is from the A&M Rivals site.

Air Force has a team meeting called for around 5 PM today, so it's possible they will be announcing something about either Calhoun or DeRuyter. DeRuyter isin College Station today, after Wilcox left town without a job offer. So it's likely Air Force could be announcing that DeRuyter is leaving...

that air force meeting has been scheduled since last nite before 9 pm. so more than likely its not about accepting the head coaching job.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

that air force meeting has been scheduled since last nite before 9 pm. so more than likely its not about accepting the head coaching job.
Ahh...I saw a meeting was called on another site. I thought it might've been b/c he was going to accept the job.

AFA *$$. coach Ben Miller has told a VolQuester Calhoun has accepted the job.
we'll see.

*crosses fingers.*

the best part is Calhoun & Kippy have worked together in Houston also.
pimp.gif

Make it Happen like Lil Cease!

[h2]Tennessee set to name Troy Calhoun head football coach[/h2]​

Jan 14th, 2010 | 1:48 pm | ShareThis

7495567_Air_Force_v_Navy-300x199.jpg
By Travis Duncan

The University of Tennessee is set to hire Air Force head coach Toby Calhoun as their next head football coach, according to sources. Calhoun will meet withhis players at 5:50 p.m MT to tell them he has accepted the job at UT, according to the Colorado Springs Gazette.

Yesterday it was confirmed that Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp had turned down an interview with Tennessee.

Calhoun was a candidate for the Tennessee job in 2008, when UT hired Lane Kiffin.

It's believed that Duke head coach David Cutcliffe was offered the job, but after a successful interview Calhoun, Tennessee athletic director MikeHamilton hired the Air Force coach.

Tennessee wanted to move quick, as recruits Brandon Willis, Michael Taylor, Calvin Smith and Delvin Jones all de-committed to Tennessee following thedeparture of Kiffin.

Calhoun has been with Air Force since 2007 and has a record of 25-14 overall including an 8-5 record in 2009. On Dec. 31, Air Force defeated Houston 47-20in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Calhoun has taken Air Force to three straight Armed Forces Bowls. He was named the Mountain West Coach of the year for 2007.

Calhoun played quarterback at Air Force from '85-'88 and was a graduate of the academy in 1989. From 1989-95 he served as an active duty officer inthe Air Force.

Prior to coaching at Air Force he was the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans in 2006. From 2003-2005 he was an assistant under Mike Shanahan inDenver. From 2001-2003 he was the offensive coordinator at Wake Forest and from 1995-2001 he held the same position at Ohio University.

Calhoun will bring a contrasting style of discipline to Kiffin's brash style. He also showcased the Triple Option offense at Air Force but that couldobviously change now that he's in the SEC. He was a Mike Shanahan understudy in Denver for 2003-2005 so he could institute a pro-style offense.

Photo Credit: Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun coaches his team in the 3rd quarter against Navy on September 29, 2007 at Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadiumin Annapolis, Maryland. The Navy Midshipmen defeated the Air Force Falcons 31-20

Personal opinion and not just a hindsight thing, but I think Tennessee will be better off with Calhoun than with Kiffin.

I almost want to see them run the triple option since it's doing so well at gtech.

Hire a good coaching staff to help him learn recruiting at a major level and Tennessee should be fine

and does the Texas dc know something we don't? Like he keels passing on these great jobs like he knows Mack is done in a year or two

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Whip got interviewed for the Cinncinati job so maybe there is something to the USF rumor.

EDIT-

He's just a backup plan it looks like.

Whip must've been the backup if Bajakan would've gotten the HC position at CMU.. Would've been a solid hire though.

[h1]Calhoun out as a Tennessee option[/h1]
Posted by John Taylor on January 14, 2010 2:48 PM ET
Well, so much for all of that Calhoun-to-UT talk we were hearing earlier this afternoon. And so much for the meeting with the players serving as agoodbye for the Air Force coach
According to a statement just released by the school, Troy Calhoun will be the head coach at Air Force in 2010.

"We are more than grateful and proud to be closely involved with the character building of our cadets and the mission of the United States Air Force Academy. We are diligently recruiting and working with our team to prepare for the upcoming season. We look forward to coaching and being a part of the Air Force Academy team both on and off the field in 2010."

With that statement, yet another name can be crossed of Tennessee's wish list for a replacement for Lane Kiffin.

Now, perhaps, Duke's David Cutcliffe is back to his lead dog status? That remains to be seen, but what appears to be a near certainty is that this whole Calhoun thing won't be the final twist in the road for the Volunteers.

Sorry Gunna...

Report says Skip will be the coach at USF.

If UT goes from Kiffin to Coach Cut...wow. I think that's more of an attitude shift than Fat Phil to Kiffin was.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

You think Tommy tuberville is mad he ant wait a week...
Nah, he's a Texas dude. Probably wants a new scenery/challenge in the Big 12. At least that's how I see it.

And I think UTk can do better than Cutcliffe as a HEAD coach.
grin.gif

Lets be honest, Tommy Tub probably wants to redo the past week because he for sure would be a top candidate for the job.

Back
Top Bottom