09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Only difference was Russell Shepard was a QB first and a all purpose guy next built in that Bobby Reid sorta mold. Pretty sure he didn't enroll early atLSU last year to be another Joe Addai.

Hatter ought to get him some snaps at QB.

MIAMI, Fla. -- Luther Campbell is one of the most recognizable supporters of the University of Miami.

Campbell, who commonly goes by Uncle Luke, is the former leader of 2 Live Crew. He grew up in Miami and has always been an avid supporter of the Hurricanes.
a
"Let me tell you, I love UM football with a passion," Campbell said. "When UM loses, I'm dead for the whole weekend. My wife went to Florida State and was a Florida State cheerleader and I have a brand new son and I dress him up in UM gear. I'm the man of house. I'd die for that school. You know what I'm saying and that's what it is. That's how much I love this school."

While Campbell loves the Hurricanes, he is a bit concerned with the program. Miami finished 9-4 this past season with a disappointing loss to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl. With the loss, Miami is now 21-17 in three years under head coach Randy Shannon.

"I love Randy to death," Campbell said. "You're always concerned when you're not winning the ACC. My prediction for them this year was to win the ACC. And then from that point, win the national championship this year coming up. I think there was a lot of big set backs."

Campbell explained more of what he would have liked to have seen out of the team this season.

"To be honest with you I was looking for more out of their offense based on the kids that they have in house," he said. "I always look at inventory what it is. You have a national champion quarterback (Jacory Harris) that is a spread guy. There's nothing wrong with teaching him something different, but then still use it as an advantage. You've got (Travis) Benjamin, (LaRon) Byrd, and just a load of receivers. You've got running backs that fit that. I would like for them to every now and again spread it out, open it up, run some 4-wide, and 5-wides. When it's 3rd-and-8 and then put him under center, that just kills me."

Harris (pictured) is coming off his first season as the team's starting quarterback. His 3,352 passing yards ranks fourth on UM's all-time list. However he did throw 17 interceptions, one of the highest totals in the country.

"I think to eliminate the picks from Jacory, I think he needs to come back and talk with his former high school (quarterback coach), who coached him from the ninth grade to 12th grade to got him where he's at right now," Campbell said. "For him not to have a relationship with him, for whatever reason or whoever is saying to him not to have a relationship with him, that's almost like saying to some kid whose dad who taught him how to play football and all of sudden when he gets to the university, he can't talk to him. Probably one of the first things that needs to happen is him having a conversation with his old coach and (coach Mark) Whipple also because any program if you are bringing in another person, it's a transitional period."

Campbell noted the Hurricanes have plenty of talent on the team, but there are a few areas that still need to be improved.

"The talent level they have is off the charts," Campbell said. "It's too much. They have too many receivers, a lot of great receivers. They have a lot of great kids on defense, a great quarterback, probably need to upgrade at quarterback--I don't know who the kid is at Pace, but they need to get a good back-up quarterback. The o-line obviously needs some help, but it's kind of difficult when everyone knows what you are going to do. I think they need to be a little more creative on offense."

With the offense, which ranked fifth in the ACC in scoring, Campbell would like to see the team run more of a spread offense under Harris, who ran the spread efficiently at Northwestern en route to winning a national title.

"I think with Randy, I trust him and I think he has a great idea of it, but my only concern is the offense," Campbell said. "I just think they've got to spread the thing out. I told the coaches down there that they're in base all of the time. I said, 'look at your team'. They said 'well we want to run pro-style, pro-style is what wins'. I'm like, 'you're not in the pros, you're in NCAA'. You have one of the best spread quarterbacks in the world. Don't try and drastically change the kid. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (are in the spread) and these are the best quarterbacks in the NFL. And these are the arguments that I had with them.

"It's just not getting through and I just hate to see them go through another year where they could put that speed and that talent on the field and do what they need to do instead of just being stubborn. I think it's being stubborn more than anything. They want to do something that they want to do and I keep telling them that the coach that won the most championships at Miami, Dennis Erickson, and he ran the spread. It is what it is. So don't say that you are playing 'Miami football'. Maybe you are playing Jimmy Johnson-style, but you are not playing 'Miami football'. 'Miami football', there are two different versions of it."

South Florida Recruiting

In addition to adjusting the offense to fit the team's personnel, Campbell is concerned about the team not focusing enough on getting the top kids in South Florida.

"The difference between a kid from California and kid from Miami, the kid from Miami wants to play for Miami," Campbell said. "When he goes back to the Pork 'n Bean projects, if he played bad, he's going to hear it from the Pork 'n Bean projects, they are going to get on his #%%. If a kid from California, who is living in the dorm makes a bad play, he's going to get a phone call from California, but that really don't matter. We in Miami are certain type of people. A kid from Miami will play harder for Miami and lay his body on the line for Miami than a kid from anywhere else. And it's a shame that these kids are getting away from here. That concerns me big-time."

The University won four of their five national titles in a nine-year span primarily focusing on recruiting players from South Florida even if they weren't highly regarded national prospects.

"Let me tell you, like I always say and I tell those guys and I don't got no problem saying it right here, Miami never won a national championship off of (a recruiting list)," Campbell said. "Everybody is getting caught up in that. It's okay, but (recruiting analysts) don't come here. What Miami was built on was getting kids that fit the personality with guys having a chip on their shoulder and coming in to play and will run into a wall. That's what we need to get back to doing."

Currently Miami's 2010 recruiting class has just one of the top five players in each of the three counties in South Florida.

"Myself personally, I think there is a lot of talent down here that they're not tapping into so I don't know what the direction is right now," Campbell said. "When you see a lot of these good running backs and good receivers get away from here, a lot of talented kids, I don't know what's going on."

The U Documentary

In December, ESPN released 'The U' documentary, a film by Billy Corben, which focused on the Hurricanes domination of college football in the 1980s and early 90s. Campbell was highly involved with the team during that time and was featured heavily in the film.

"I think it was a great educational tool," he said. "Forget about the dancing and the partying. If you really look at it, it was able to tell our story and tell the story of the players versus what the media had always wrote about them and portrayed those guys and this program to be. It's a hell of a recruiting tool because every kid right now wants to go to Miami. I went to the coaches convention this weekend and all of the coaches were like 'man, that was a hell of thing. Miami is going to get everybody'.

"But then you play Wisconsin down to their level-thank God ESPN is still running the thing-but they need to really look at that and really understand what Howard built, where Erickson took the program, where Jimmy took the program and really look at it from an educational standpoint and this is what Miami is really all about. Randy and the administration really need to look at the structure and what is a Miami kid and why do these kids play like this. People are looking at it like it's about the crazy partying and the dancing, no no, forget about about all that. Really, really look at the movie."

Campbell said he understood why the school didn't endorse the film and assist Corben with interviews because the documentary could have either "killed the program or glorify it". He did say he felt 'The U' glorified the school.

"I can tell you one thing, those guys love it down there at UM," Campbell said. "Everybody loves the fact that they played and they enjoyed the movie and the kids enjoyed it as well. The kids just want to play like that. I think if Randy loosened the screws a little bit. You don't have to be like Dennis Erickson, you don't have to be like Jimmy Johnson, but for God's sake, do not be like Butch Davis. And this thing is looking a lot like Butch. Be yourself, I don't want no Butch 2. I just hope it don't happen."

Enjoying Coaching

Campbell just completed his first season as an assistant coach at Miami Central, which finished 12-2, after coaching youth football in Liberty City.

"I enjoy it," Campbell said. "High school is real different. It's like dealing with grown men versus the park. In the park, you're dealing with little kids and then you're dealing with moms and dads, which is much more difficult. In high school when you're at a program that I'm at with Central, everything is already situated."

Currently Campbell is an assistant coach for the Dade County All-Stars in the annual Dade-Broward game, which will be held Friday at Flanagan.

"There's a lot of talent out here," Campbell said. "The sad thing about it is a lot of the kids don't have offers because most universities think if Miami don't recruit them, then they're not good, which is not the case. Miami recruits its needs and can't take but 25-28 kids, but schools around the country have a tendency to think that if Miami didn't offer these kids then these kids aren't good."

Campbell has been particularly impressed with three under-the-radar prospects during practices, which began January 11. Palmetto linebacker Michael Dallas (uncommitted), Killian cornerback Richard Leonard (FIU commit, pictured), and Archbishop Carroll running back Jeff Scott (Mississippi commit) have stood out to Campbell.

"The kid from Killian, Richard Leonard, that guy is better than anybody down there right now," Campbell said. "The running back from Archbishop Carroll, Jeff Scott, I've never heard of the kid, and I'm looking at that kid, that kid is going to play. That kid reminds me of the kid Houston Nutt has (Dexter McCluster)."

Dallas, a 6-foot, 195-pound powerful tackler with a burst is someone Campbell believes UM should take a chance on.

"For them not to be after him, oh my God. You got (Darryl) Sharpton leaving and you got some kid [Arthur Brown] whose brother didn't want to be here. That kid can play. It is crazy that he doesn't have any offers."

It's hard to question Campbell's opinion on the talent in Miami-Dade County, which has over 50 players in the 2010 class capable of playing Division I football.

"Miami can't take every kid and these kids are worthy," Campbell said. "These coaches need to understand that there is more talent down here more than you think

Luke
pimp.gif

and before I carry my self up to my bed,

word is leaking tennessee is throwing the checkbook at Lovie Smith.
He used to be our DB coach back in the Day.
who knows if it has legs ...

smokin.gif

Rivals says its not Cut...

and ESPN is reporting that Muschamp never got an offer
so I dunno? this could be like last yr where the finally candidate is gonna come outta left field

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Luke
pimp.gif

and before I carry my self up to my bed,

word is leaking tennessee is throwing the checkbook at Lovie Smith.
He used to be our DB coach back in the Day.
who knows if it has legs ...

smokin.gif

Please be true. Please. I like Lovie the man, he would have no problem getting players, and he leaves Chicago.

Gunna...
laugh.gif

Reports are this morning that UGA and GT have both gotten their new DC. UGA with the dude Grantham from the Cowboys, GT with Al Groh.

Originally Posted by dreClark

evolution-t-rex.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Welcome to Tally.
Tampa (FL) Hillsborough four-star cornerback Terrence Mitchell has committed to Florida State.
smokin.gif

i woke up saw we got him and went looking for a pic
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
hopefully Stoops will have our secondary in shape in no time

hopefully Stoops will have our secondary in shape in no time
We'll see.

One thing I can say for sure is that we're gonna play waaaaaaaaay more zone. Multiple looks from the front 7 and the back 4.

Hopefully we can get a pass rush. That's what I'm most worried about. A pass rush makes every secondary look better.

And looks like the soley 3-4 scheme is not so....But it think it will still be in the repertoire, just won't be our base D.

Kinda like when Kevin Steele was here, we ran some 3-4 every game.

And Jacobbi and Taiwan are playing baseball this year.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

O$U offered Dominique Brown to play Slot. It'll be interesting to see what he does because he could be do damage in a BJ spread offense as a running QB. Rivals just made him a 4 Star too.
Yep. Ohio State offered him as an athlete. I really hope they can land him, but his grades are a serious concern.

I didn't even know Taiwan played baseball
laugh.gif

I figured Jacobbi would play cause he was like all state or something like that right?

i hope Jacobbi can step in next year and play big time. Everything i've seen since HS and read he should step up and be dominant on our line. I pray Stoopsdoesn't have the seniority mentality that Mickey had and just plays the best we got.

is email has been making the rounds today, and we had to share....

Tim Tebow - Florida
15b0df5734a408b5d717fbf1ba380715.jpeg

Mark Sanchez - USC
b7467919ae309a24231e4300461d455b.jpeg

Colt McCoy - UT
d420f79e83e5ca5827358330f5a544b6.jpeg

Matthew Stafford - Georgia
0e0f0c898173509efb4a3c99a097c69a.jpeg

Jimmy Clausen - ND
bbdbadca89bd1090355253c2662c53d4.jpeg

Originally Posted by IYE2

The only thing I see in that video is that Jackson has a good lawyer.

laugh.gif

thats what Im sayin

the "story" doesnt exactly match up to what I saw but hey I didnt see the police/ witness statements

Word is just now coming out that Jeff Fuller was arrested back home in Allen on January 2 for DUI
smh.gif

jeff_fuller_mug_small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom