09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CLK:
"As you get to know kids, some are SC and the ones that aren't go across town and play (at UCLA). I think it's pretty easy to tell which kids go to which places..." 
laugh.gif

Nice misquote.  Tennessee boards making this stuff up? 
laugh.gif

whats wrong with what JT did?

and After hours if you stop been a blind homer for a second and saw the ESPNU interview with kiffin he did say that

I was reading the updates from SI with their Rivals info and it seemed like Auburn was cleaning up.

Chizik gettin it in.

Originally Posted by tmay407

Jarrett Fobbs took the ol' "pick the hat" move one step further...he had two LOIs signed, one to A&M and one to LSU. He started to fax the LOI to A&M, then hit the cancel button...turned and smiled to the cameras...then faxed the LSU LOI.

What an **+***@
laugh.gif
eek.gif
Grimey
laugh.gif

Rumor has it Jarrett Fobbs took the ol' "pick the hat" move one step further...he had two LOIs signed, one to A&M and one to LSU. He started to fax the LOI to A&M, then hit the cancel button...turned and smiled to the cameras...then faxed the LSU LOI.

What an #%%*$%!
laugh.gif
Thats nice.
He better have had a fake number to fax that TAMU LOI too because if the cancel button broke, that would have been the ultimate FAIL. 

Just saw a video with RB Stephen Hopkins for Michigan. Kid has a great personality and great head on his shoulder. Hope he can hit the ground running and grab that max back spot because we could use 230lbs of him getting the ball. 

Rumor has it Jarrett Fobbs took the ol' "pick the hat" move one step further...he had two LOIs signed, one to A&M and one to LSU. He started to fax the LOI to A&M, then hit the cancel button...turned and smiled to the cameras...then faxed the LSU LOI.

What an #%%*$%!
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Hope a video gets out.

What happened with you and Florida?

Demar: “I heard about them saying they dropped me, but that’s not thereal story. They didn’t want me to visit other schools; they just keptcalling me about it. After awhile, I just stopped taking their calls.

Originally Posted by Pac10OWNsSEC

whats wrong with what JT did?

and After hours if you stop been a blind homer for a second and saw the ESPNU interview with kiffin he did say that
Only blind homer here is you and it's affecting your hearing duke 
laugh.gif

Williams, Rouse, other recruits who didn't pan out

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 | Feedback | Print Entry

Signing day is here, and every coach can say how great things havegone. Of course, we won't really know how good any of these two- orfive-star recruits truly are until they suit up and play some games.

We'veseen countless reasons there is no such thing as a can't-miss recruit.In that vein, this week's list: the top 10 recruiting disappointmentsof the past decade. (I'm not calling them "busts" because a few of themwere sidetracked by nagging injuries.)

1. Willie Williams, Miami Hurricanes, 2004: Williams' story sounds like a modern-day Dan Jenkins tale. The Miaminative is practically iconic in recruiting discussions because of thestartling recruiting diaries he helped write for The Miami Heraldduring his recruitment. Everything about the linebacker's over-the-toprecruiting visits screamed excess, and in response, the NCAA folksscreamed reform to try to remove -- or at least diminish -- the aspectof celebrity involved in the process.

Rightafter Williams announced his commitment to Miami, word of his rap sheetspread. UM president Donna Shalala defended the decision to admitWilliams amid controversy, and she sent a letter to students and alumnito explain her reasoning. Turns out Williams, the No. 6-rated recruitin his class according to Rivals.com, had little impact for the Caneson the field. He couldn't crack the linebacker rotation and thenbailed, beginning a mind-numbing series of moves. First he went to WestLos Angeles CC and then the Louisville Cardinals,where he spent less than a half-season before getting into trouble.Then he went to Division II Glenville (W.Va) State before finishing hiscollege career at Union College, a National Association ofIntercollegiate Athletics school in Kentucky.

2. Whitney Lewis, USC Trojans, 2003: Touted as a physical wideout, Lewis was ranked No. 3 overall in thenation. USC coaches had even higher hopes. In a class with Reggie Bush,LenDale White and Steve Smith, Lewis was the recruit the Trojans' staffthought would prove to be the best. Instead, he had conditioning issuesand didn't seem to want to play at USC. He barely touched the field,catching three passes for the Trojans before transferring to NorthernIowa after three seasons. Lewis played at both running back andreceiver for the Panthers and had a modest career there in the GatewayConference.

3. Fred Rouse, Florida State Seminoles, 2005: The gift that keeps on giving to the Noles. Rouse, a local product fromTallahassee, admittedly struggled to handle his recruiting process (hewas the country's No. 6-rated recruit) and came to FSU with hugeexpectations. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound receiver played as a freshman forthe Noles and flashed some talent but eventually was kicked off theteam after being arrested with a teammate and charged with breakinginto the apartment of an FSU player. Rouse later transferred to the UTEP Miners,for whom he caught 25 passes, but he left after the season for personalreasons. He almost enrolled at Texas Southern, but that didn't workout, so instead he played this season at tiny Concordia College inSelma, Ala. A few months ago, Rouse was linked to the Noles again as part of an "Outside the Lines" investigation into FSU's academics.

4. Kyle Williams, Iowa Hawkeyes, 2004: The touted linebacker, ranked 14th in the class, had to leave Iowabecause of NCAA eligibility clearinghouse issues, so he headed toMilford Academy. He signed with the Purdue Boilermakers a year later and made 28 tackles there. But in 2007, he was sentenced to 37 years in prison for assault.

5. Jason Gwaltney, West Virginia Mountaineers, 2005: One of the most celebrated football recruits to come out of LongIsland, Gwaltney was a punishing runner who had offers from coast tocoast. He was a five-star back, and the difference between him and '05WVU classmate Steve Slaton -- a three-star rusher -- is fascinating.Slaton earned All-American honors and has done well with the NFL'sHouston Texans. Meanwhile, Gwaltney gained only 186 yards as a freshman(almost 1,000 fewer than Slaton had that season) and then ran into someoff-the-field issues. He later played for C.W. Post and resurfaced thisseason at Kean University, a Division III school in New Jersey, butsuffered an ankle injury that sidelined him early.

6. Nate Robinson, Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 2003: Greg Schiano's first blue-chip recruit had committed to Miami but wastold he wouldn't be admitted. So he spent two seasons at RU and battledconditioning issues before being dismissed. He then transferred toAkron. He later signed as a free agent with the New York Sentinels ofthe United Football League but was cut before the season started.

7. Ben Olson, Brigham Young Cougars, 2002: The nation's top quarterback prospect from Southern California pickedBYU, redshirted, went on a two-year mission and then transferred hometo the UCLA Bruins,where he struggled with some nagging injuries and couldn't beat outPatrick Cowan. However, after Cowan went down with a serious injury,Olson broke his right foot. Then, on the brink of the Bruins' pro day,Olson reinjured his foot and had to sit out. He has not played since.

8. Brandon Jeffries, Tennessee Volunteers, 2002: Touted as arguably the nation's top O-lineman, the North Carolina native never got on the field for the Vols. He transferred to NC State, but didn't make an impact for the Wolfpack. Then he transferred to Division II Newbury College.

9. Ofa Mohetau, BYU, 2003:Mohetau is a bulldozer. The 6-3, 350-pound guard started eight games tobegin his career at BYU, but then he was derailed by academic issuesand injury. He transferred to the College of the Sequoias in Californiaand then to the Texas Tech Red Raiders,where he didn't contribute much. He has resurfaced recently in themixed martial arts world, as online reports say he won the NativeAmerican heavyweight world championship at the Gladiator Challenge.Interesting stuff.
10. Xavier Lee, FSU, 2004: In a longline of celebrated passer recruits at the Florida schools, "Xavier theSavior" appeared to have as much raw talent as any of them. He threwfor more than 9,000 yards in high school and was a two-time Mr.Football in Florida. Trouble was, despite his powerful arm, thenation's No. 10-rated recruit couldn't overtake Drew Weatherford. Leeended up bypassing his senior season to enter the NFL draft but wasn'tinvited to the combine. He went undrafted but was signed by theBaltimore Ravens as a tight end. In 2009, he played receiver for theArkansas Twisters of the Arena Football League 2.

Kyle Williams went nutso. Dude needs to never see the light of day again.

Anyways, what would you say the early needs for the 11 class is for your school? Michigan is going to need to pile up about 4-5 OL and probably 2 TRUE LBs. Get a solid secondary and DT's. Possibly a stud RB like Demetrius Hart and I would be happy. I just hope they don't get crazy and start accepting every verbal from every decent kid. This class needs to be the best considering this season should be the best for RR.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Kyle Williams went nutso. Dude needs to never see the light of day again.

Anyways, what would you say the early needs for the 11 class is for your school? Michigan is going to need to pile up about 4-5 OL and probably 2 TRUE LBs. Get a solid secondary and DT's. Possibly a stud RB like Demetrius Hart and I would be happy. I just hope they don't get crazy and start accepting every verbal from every decent kid. This class needs to be the best considering this season should be the best for RR.
Yes LB's, not Safety's who are going to grow into LBs or DE/LB tweeners.  I've had enough hybrid/tweener type players for a while.  Unfortunately I don't think we land our two main LB targets, Trey Depriest and Lawrence Thomas.

Originally Posted by jville819

Urbans been known for that "we'll drop you if you go anywhere" bit

Sounds like he lives up to it, but then gets back in on kids just a second after. Oh well, can't knock what he has done to the Gaytors. They are re-loading quite well. If Brantley is a good QB, they should be looking at another 10-12 win season. 

How does USC have 20 committs when they only have 18 schollies to give out before they max out at 85 ...

Robey or Stanley's grades in question?

or has CLK booted a couple guys off the team already?

I want TRUE Linebackers.  Give me at least 3 of them.  None of this hybrid *%#+/making safetys into LB's 
smh.gif
(As far as the spinner position, I think M-Rob or possibly Furman will hold that down for a while).  Hope my boy Jake Ryan can make some noise for us in a few years.
pimp.gif

OL would obviously be next considering we only got 1 this year.

I'd take a true strong safety in a second in the Sean Parker mold...Cot Damn you Tom Beaver for getting my hopes up...
smh.gif

My main wish though is a true STUD home run threat at RB.  That will do wonders for this offense.

PREACH about accepting early verbals from decent kids.  I can already see D.J. Williamson being a waste of a roster spot.  I was dumbfounded when we offered that kid.  When I watched Harding play, I didn't even realize he was on the field.

With a winning season and decent-good bowl win, I think we should be able to land a top 10 type of class again.
EnEyeKayEe, you got access to a Scout account?
Yessir...but not for much longer.

I listened to RichRod today and what he said makes sense, they had to take a high number of sure signee 3 star guys because last yr He was forced to play with 26 scholly guys on Defense, thats Horrible
sick.gif

gotta get soem depth in there

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I listened to RichRod today and what he said makes sense, they had to take a high number of sure signee 3 star guys because last yr He was forced to play with 26 scholly guys on Defense, thats Horrible
sick.gif

gotta get soem depth in there
laugh.gif
We had 2 white walkons start the majority of the season (Leach and Kovacs).
sick.gif
sick.gif

No reason to call out kids before they have even stepped on campus.
I hear you...but I saw the kid play in person twice.  Both times I barely realized he was on the field (this is HS).  Right now, he's just a track star as far as I'm concerned (he IS fast as hell).  We'll see if they can coach him up.

No reason to call out kids before they have even stepped on campus.

People thought Huyge was a waste of a scholly and he has stepped in and played pretty decent. Kid was just a big body in HS but works hard and is smart enough to adapt to the game.

Kevin Grady was supposed to be a beast and he was a bust.

There are going to be quite a few kids that don't see the field but it could be Devin or Marvin or Demar or Cullen that are "wastes". Chances are slim but it could happen.

DJ has some speed and if he isn't shuffled around like James Rogers, he could be solid for Michigan.

If nothing else this class gave Michigan much needed bodies to help add depth to this team. Lots of spots are wide open for these youngins to take and hopefully they are up for it. Even if they only contribute for 1 year, I will take that.

Back
Top Bottom