18 and planning to move out and live on my own in NYC, what am i looking at?

You ever see Pursuit of Happyness? Get used to that scene when Will Smith slept in the train station bathroom with his son if you don't have a good job.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

You ever see Pursuit of Happyness?
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and your spelling is off
grin.gif

if you're chinese you can get good deals in the chinese papers.

$300 a month to live in someone's closet.

Spoiler [+]
PS-YNS

Real talk, I began living in on my own in the city only because my parents moved away. Living on your own is cool, but it definitely makes you grow up a lotquicker; I kinda wish I had the option of my living with my parents - I would have so much more money saved up right now.

Originally Posted by 255forLife

if you're chinese you can get good deals in the chinese papers.

$300 a month a week to live in someone's closet.

Spoiler [+]
PS-YNS

Yeah^^^ Dude tryna correct u was either kidding or never seen the movie at all..or slept through all of those parts bringing that spelling to attention...

No one will rent to you. You make too little. You need to make at least 28k unless you make a deal with someone that's renting out their room. Making adeal would include telling them about your situation and being able to prove that you'll be able to pay the rent plus any other bills you'd have. Howwould you do that and go to school? You're better off moving out in four years once you graduate. Good luck tho. Craigslist is pretty much uyiur onlyoption because no super is going to rent to you.

Your looking @ alot of money..A decent 1 bedroom apt is gonna cost you somewhere close to 1k a month in a nice neighborhood. If you do get a roomate make surethere VERY SERIOUS because if homeboy decides not to pay rent you will be back out on the streets in a mattter of weeks...Also with a roomate its going to behard to find a spot..most places want proof of income which is up to 10X the monthly rent anually..they dont wanna hear you just started working blah blah..andalot of landlords wont rent to 2 guys who are going to college for fear of partys, drinking, smoking etc. My best advice is to live @ home with your parentsuntil @ least the 2nd yr of college establish yourself working and try to save @ least 6 months rent by yourself. It took me 4 months to find an apt.. Ifinally moved out to Far Rockaway..from Flatbush brooklyn..My 2 bedroom is 1355 a month but im a block off the beach in a gated community with indoorparkiing..either way good look OP

My dood, I don't know what your budget is, but if it's anywhere under $1000, you must as well stay at the crib. Mend your issues with your parents andswallow your pride. I moved out when I was 17 had a few roommates and a 2 out of the 3 were nightmares. Now I'm good in a 3 bed 2 bath near the city 1600square ft with my own laundry for $1500. Dolo. The only person I can see living with right now is my girl and her son.

I am just turning 20, and I live at home over the summer (away for school during the year)...Living in NYC is no joke a studio apartment, is just an open roomwith like 600sq feet. think 20x30. The rent for that is probably like 2 grand plus utilities (cable and electric) and also maintence and or taxes depending onwhether you are buying or leasing. I assume you would lease.

You want to work in and go to school full time? That is really difficult. I think it is important to maintain a social life at school and meet some new peopleand some new girls. College is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you have the next 40 years or w.e. to work.

If you are going to school in NY or wherever try and get housing through the school and get a one bedroom if you want. It will be small but atleast you haveyour own privacy. Also, the cost of living in NYC is expensive and you'd pay for your own meals. At home drinks is on the house.

Back
Top Bottom