2007 NT Boxing Post: Thanks For A Great Year/ Please Lock

I really can't believe Floyd still has people fooled. He must be a genius or something. I'd be willing to bet more than a little bit that Floyd studiesmore tape on his opponents than any other fighter. His camped is trained to nonchalantly say "Floyd is just training like any other day" and they doit so well. I loved they way Floyd said he's never even watched a full Hatton fight because all he does is punch and hold. There is no doubt in my mindthat Floyd had Hatton's ring-habits memorized to a T. This translates to the general public as arrogance (on top of Floyds antics at the pressconferences), which translates to a genuine "need" (desire) to see Floyd fall, which translate to box office madness. I'm not too keen on Hatton,so I don't know how much trouble he'll give Floyd. All I know is I'll be watching.

its possible it is all just a ruse, but its not unheard of for top fighters to not look at tape. If i remember correctly, I believe Juan Manuel Marquez, assmart a ring technician as there is in the sport, has said that he never watches tape of a fighter, that he leaves that up to his trainer. He doesn't wantto watch tape of how a fighter fought in the past study it, get it memorized, and then have them come out and do something different he hasn't preparedfor. He just trains hard period and adapts in the ring to what his opponent is doing.

You get my point though. SOMEBODY in the Mayweather camp has his opponents scouted very well. And there are always certain elements that a fighter can'tchange. I'm talking little habits.

I was going to order this fight until i called and it isnt being show in HD pathetic

Don't quote me on this but I think I heard him say in one of his earlier fights in the post fight interview thathe watched film...or "we" watched film. Maybe he doesn't anymore but maybe someone in his camp does...

I was just checkout out the odds...looks like the odd makers have this almost the same as the DLH fight. Here are some of the odds from various sites:

[table][tr][td]5-May
10:59 PM[/td] [td]2005
2006[/td] [td]Mayweather F
De La Hoya O
[/td] [td]-220
+180
[/td] [td]-230
+180
[/td] [td]n/a[/td] [td]-220
+180
11.5 ov-270
[/td] [td]-220
+180
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8-Dec
10:59 PM[/td] [td]1401
1402[/td] [td]Mayweather F
Hatton R
[/td] [td]-225
+185
[/td] [td]-220
+180
11.5 ov-250
[/td] [td]-230
+190
11.5 ov-250
[/td] [td]-240
+190
11.5 ov-300
[/td] [td]-220
+180
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Jeff Lacy is gonna murk on Manfredo
pimp.gif

2. Floyd didn't run from Oscar, and people who think that are nuts. Cory Spinks runs, Floyd doesn't. Sure Floyd doesn't go forward and press the action, but he's not constantly on his bike. Counterpunching and being hard to hit is not running. Floyd gave Oscar chances to hit him, Oscar just couldn't do it. Besides, Floyd was fighting all the way up at 154, 4 weight classes above his original weight. Would you expect Rickey to just try and run though Mikkel Kessler or Joe Calzaghe, or even be somewhat effective?
Im glad you said that. I'm tired of people, including Oscar, saying that floyd ran all night. I mean, if I could barely land a clean punch andgot a clinic put on me, then I would say he ran too. Im tired of trying to defend Floyd on this one....

Ok, someone explain the numbers, etc. in the odds up there...I am no betting man, so I don't know what all that means.

Basically if it's '-' you have to bet that amount to win $100, if it's '+' you have to bet $100 to win that amount.

Those odds show it being a pretty close fight, look at them compared to some other fights from Dec 8th:

[table][tr][td]Date &
Time[/td] [td]#[/td] [td]Fighters[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8-Dec
9:29 PM[/td] [td]641
642[/td] [td]Lacy J
Manfredo P
[/td] [td]-500
+350
[/td] [td]-550
+425
9.5 ov-140
[/td] [td]n/a[/td] [td]-500
+350
[/td] [td]-525
+425
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8-Dec
9:59 PM[/td] [td]637
638[/td] [td]De Leon D P
Escobedo E
[/td] [td]-1500
+750
[/td] [td]-1080
+690
7.5 ov+145
[/td] [td]n/a[/td] [td]-1000
+650
7.5 ov+145
[/td] [td]-1200
+800
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]8-Dec
2:59 PM[/td] [td]605
606[/td] [td]Abraham A
Elcock W
[/td] [td]-1500
+700
[/td] [td]-1400
+925
9.5 ov+140
[/td] [td]n/a[/td] [td]n/a[/td] [td]-1500
+950
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The support Hatton has is
eek.gif
eek.gif
30,000 have made the journey from the Old Country to Las Vegas for this event.

Those Mayweather odds are INSANE. Floyd only -225? The hell? These odds should be closer to the Manfredo-Lacy odds. Also, i'm not very happy that i got aparlay when floyd was at -280. Those brits must have put a ton of money on Rickey, cause that line moved a bit.

alotta ppl saying they would not be surprised if Hatton won this fight out right
eek.gif

btw, boxing is the BEST sport to watch in HD, not even close.

^^^^Who is "alotta people?" Cause i haven't seen many, if any, in the media say that.
well i was listening to Max Kellerman on his radio show and him and Brian Kenny (i think theyre pretty credible boxing guys) have been saying thatthis fight will closer than ppl think b/c Hatton is really agressive and durable and Mayweather is a speed and defensive boxer, so the matchup fits Hattonwell, etc... im no boxing aficionado so it just surprised me when they said it considering id never heard of hatton until now.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

You get my point though. SOMEBODY in the Mayweather camp has his opponents scouted very well. And there are always certain elements that a fighter can't change. I'm talking little habits.

just to confirm, here is an excerpt from Dan Rafael's chat:

Anthony (NY): Does Floyd watch a lot of film on his opponents?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:30 PM ET) No. Floyd has said many times he never watches tape of his opponent. He leaves that to Roger and Leonard.
well i was listening to Max Kellerman on his radio show and him and Brian Kenny (i think theyre pretty credible boxing guys) have been saying that this fight will closer than ppl think b/c Hatton is really agressive and durable and Mayweather is a speed and defensive boxer, so the matchup fits Hatton well, etc... im no boxing aficionado so it just surprised me when they said it considering id never heard of hatton until now.
I'll be honest, i'm a little surprised that Kellerman is saying this fight will be close. He loves fighters like Floyd, and had Floydbeating oscar something like 9-3 or 10-2 in rounds. As far as Brian Kenny, he's ok. He's a great interviewer, as he never lets the fighter off thehook and always asks tough questions, but as an analyst i'm not convinced. The way he's scored certain fights have confused the hell out of me, likeDLH-Floyd being a draw, Spinks-Taylor for Spinks, Forrest-Quartey for Forrest, etc. I like Brian, but i don't really trust his insight when i hear it, butthats just me.

Dan Rafael's ESPN chat
[h1]Chat with Dan Rafael[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]Welcome to The Show! On Friday, ESPN.com's boxing writer Dan Rafael, will log on to take your questions on all the latest news and notes from inside and outside the ring.
Send your questions now and join Dan this Friday at 2:30 p.m. ET!

Rafael Archive: Chats | Columns

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:41 PM ET ) Greetings from Las Vegas Fight Freaks! Sorry I am late! Plenty to discuss. It is wild here at the MGM Grand. Brits are EVERYWHERE. Let's get right to it!

Alex(Bristol,CT): Can we get an official DTM prediction?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:42 PM ET ) Same as always -- Mayweather by decision. I've said it since Day 1. Nothing I have seen whatsoever makes me change my mind.

FATTON-lover: Still think Hatton's not good enough?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:42 PM ET ) I love Ricky, but I don't think this is the right fight for him.

Javier (Puerto Rico): dan is quintana the favorite to land the williams fight on feb 2

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:44 PM ET ) He is one of the two leading candidates along with Collazo.

Marlo (Asheville, NC): Do you see R.H. corner throwing the towel in...in 8?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:45 PM ET ) I doubt that.But I also have no doubt that if it ever came to that that Ricky's corner, especially Billy Graham, love Ricky and would pull him out if necessary. But I don't see that being needed.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Max Kellerman said on his radio show today it seems that mainstream boxing fans are more excited for this fight then the die-hards, do you agree with this?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:45 PM ET ) Yes, I do because the hardcore people believe it's not a seriously competitive fight. The casual folks don't know better.

Cole, NYC: Is the only way Hatton wins by hurting Mayweather with body shots?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:46 PM ET ) I think if Ricky wins he will certainly need to work the body to slow Mayweather down but he'll need more than just body work to win.

Marcus: Defiance Ohio: Doesn't Hatton pose a threat with the amount of punches he throws? Seems all the experts are picking Mayweather.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:46 PM ET ) Remember one thing: Usually speed kills.

West Palm Beach: If Mayweather wins the fight, who will be next? Please tell me he will retire.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:47 PM ET ) He may take a long break but I don't think he will retire. Ideally, if he wins, I would like to see him fight Cotto.

E (Omaha): D$$ - Any chance the british fans who have given PBF a pretty good razzing have gotten under his skin and we might see a more aggressive PBF?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:48 PM ET ) I think it motivates Floyd. And I must say -- the Brits are awesome. There are thousands here. The MGM is like being in London. They lined up at dawn to get the 6,000 seats for the weigh in. No noticeable Mayweather fans. Overwhelmingly Hatton.

Jeff (Redondo Beach, CA): Rematch clause in the contact?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:48 PM ET ) No.

Bert (Minneapolis): Any word on Devon Alexander's next bout?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:48 PM ET ) Nothing set but I am hopeful that he lands on the Trinidad-Jones card on Jan. 19.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:49 PM ET ) By the way, I am doing this chat from the press room at MGM and Oscar, Bernard and Mosley are holding a press conference to analyze the fight.

Tom (Mich): I've heard that PBF's hands might be even worse than usual? Any inside information?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:50 PM ET ) That's the rumor. I don't buy it. HBO showed his therapy on 24/7, which led to the rumor. What people don't realize is that he always gets therapy on his hands during camp healthy or not.

corey (from wayne michgan: I love mayweather but he dose not have the power to stop Hatton like he did Gatti Floyd 8rds to 4 bring on Cotto or Margarito maybe even Cintron

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:50 PM ET ) The shot that hurts is the one you don't see.

Joe(PA): Manfredo have any chance against Lacy in the undercard?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:50 PM ET ) I think Lacy wins big.

Chris (New Orleans): Dan, what are your thoughts on the undercard fights? anything in particular we should look for?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:51 PM ET ) I always love seeing Ponce De Leon and am excited to see Lacy back in the ring.

Will (Boston): Are you going to be on espn news for the weigh in?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:51 PM ET ) No, but I will be on ESPNews via phone at 3:15 ET (during this chat), so check it out. The weigh in will be live on ESPN 360 and I am sure SportsCenter and News will carry highlights.

Paul (Carlsbad, CA): I heard that Katsidis signed the contract to fight Juan Diaz any word whether or not Diaz will sign as well for a fight on Feburary 9th?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:52 PM ET ) Katsidis signing was never in doubt. The issue is whether King will make a deal with Diaz or Golden Boy to allow him to take the fight.

Greg(Los Angeles): Any truth to DLH fighting Hatton next even if he loses? Also would he take a tune uo fight before this?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:53 PM ET ) Absolutely. Oscar has talked openly about it. If Ricky wins or even makes it competitive Oscar-Hatton is very likely on May 3.

Ronak (NY): No notebook today?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:53 PM ET ) No.

Aaron (Hartford): Any word on Butes opponent for his first defense ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:53 PM ET ) Not yet.

omar(sacramento): If hatton wins is he the new pound for pound king?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:54 PM ET ) Depends how the fight goes.

Michael (Long Beach, CA): Do you think Oscar is a better matchup for Hatton?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:54 PM ET ) Yes, because he makes WAY more money.

Peter (New York): Mayweather took this fight because it was the best combination of biggest name and easiest fight. True statement?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:54 PM ET ) Agreed.

Steve (NY, NY): Any word on where Peter-Maskaev will take place?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:55 PM ET ) No. The way this fight has been handled is a joke. Don King has done a poor job with it. Nobody wants to pay for it at any venue around.

Mark (Narragansett, RI): What advantages does Lacy have in his fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:55 PM ET ) Bigger, better puncher, more experienced.

Marcus Defiance Ohio: Why is it that the general public always gets shut out of big fights like these? Why not go back to the old days of having fights in outdoor arenas?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:56 PM ET ) All I know is there are THOUSANDS of regular Brits here with tickets to the fight.

Joe(PA): What is on the horizon for Sugar Shane?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:58 PM ET ) Shane and I talked about this last night. He said he still wants to fight but wanted to pick a fight here or there. He wants a big fight next year, but he's not retiring yet. He said he wants the winner of Saturday's fight ideally. He said he would also like a rematch with Cotto if Cotto wanted to give him one.

Mike New Haven, CT: Dan, What is next for Chad Dawson, and how good can he be?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:58 PM ET ) Chad is due to defend his belt in April on Showtime, maybe against Glen Johnson.

Roman (Cleveland): Dan, what do you mean noone wants to pay for Peter vs. Maskaev? A few months ago they were set to fight at MSG and now they can't find a venue? Personally, I am excited about the fight and can't wait till a date is set.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:59 PM ET ) They were never set to fight at MSG. That was all BS.

Luis: (Philadelphia):: Hey Dan, Would you be interested in seeing a Campbell vs. Roger Mayweather's Son fight 25 years from now?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:59 PM ET ) YES!

Mike NJ: Any idea when tickets for Tito/RJJ go on sale?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (2:59 PM ET ) MSG people tell me Dec. 11 but they did not give the prices. Keep an eye out.

Dan (Nutley, NJ): Apparently Floyd has some elaborate ring entrance planned. Won't it just be drowned out by boos?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:00 PM ET ) Probably. He'll have some of his Dancing with the Stars folks with him, including Mark Cuban.

Matt (berkeley): Will Winky Wright ever get a fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:01 PM ET ) Good question. There has been some talk with Calzaghe's camp but I am told Winky's people are asking $6 million for the fight, which is outrageous.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): ESPNEWS just said they're going go live to the weigh-in. Awesome news.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:02 PM ET ) Well there you go!

David (Texas): Hey Dan i just saw the fight is $54.95! Whats up with that??? I bought it anyway lol!

Jarrod Indiana: What the atmosphere like there? Rowdy?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:03 PM ET ) Yes. Most of the Brits have been drunk since Wednesday.

Paul (Carlsbad, CA) : Has the Calzaghe-Hopkins talks cooled down a great deal or is there still discussions going on?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:04 PM ET ) Still talk going on. Tough deal though.

Ro (San Luis Obispo, CA): who do you think will win the Pacquiao and Marquez fight in March?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:05 PM ET ) Too soon to call but it will be a great fight I believe. The first was one of the best I have covered.

Fletch (Pittsburgh, PA): Glen Johnson v Chad Dawson sounds TERRIFIC. Hopefully Showtime won't **** it up.

Ricardo(LA): What's next for Chavez Jr?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:06 PM ET ) Good chance Baldomir in January on a small PPV card is what Arum told me last week.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Kieran Mulvaney said he's never witnessed an atmosphere like this before. Do you feel the same?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:07 PM ET ) The hotel is buzzing as much as I have seen. It's awesome.

Brian (DC): Prediction on the number of PPV buys?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:07 PM ET ) Millionish or more.

Greg (NY): Who is calling the fight for HBO, Max or Larry?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:07 PM ET ) Larry.

Josh Saginaw (Detroit, Michigan): Chris Arreola vs. David Tua? I would love to see this fight, what are your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:07 PM ET ) Tua camp has priced themselves out of the fight.

Carlos (Funky Town, TX): Dan at this point who do you think has the better future your love child or Chavez Jr?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:08 PM ET ) Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child. Joel Julio is still a better prospect butu Chavez is far more popular and recognized.

John (Atlanta, GA): I saw Nate Jones on 24/7 last night. I remember his amateur career and him being an undefeated heavyweight prospect. What happened? Why isn't he rich and still fighting? He's better than some of the jokers out there (Brock, Callaway, etc.)

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:09 PM ET ) Nate didn't have much of a career. I was ringside for his last fight when Lamon Brewster knocked him out. He later flunked an MRI exam and had to retire. He and Floyd are friends and he is in his camp.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:09 PM ET ) OK, Put on ESPNews now.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:10 PM ET ) Fight stuff coming up in a moment.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:10 PM ET ) Be back in a couple of minutes.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:17 PM ET ) I'm back.

James (State College, PA) : Dan you sound like a stud on TV. Keep up the good work hahahahaha

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:17 PM ET ) LOL.

Ben (Miami, FL): If Hatton wins this fight, will he have enough clout to start bringing big names back to England to fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:18 PM ET ) I think if he wins there's an excellent chance that a fight with Oscar could take place in England.

David(TX): Great recap and insight on ESPN News Dan...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:18 PM ET ) Thanks.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Love the plug for your story. Way to get that in there, you wily fox.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:18 PM ET ) I learned to do that early on in my career!

Jordan (Baton Rouge, LA): Chambers vs. Potvekin who you got?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:19 PM ET ) Povetkin.

Jay (philly): There is only 1 Ricky Hatton

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:19 PM ET ) So I have heard -- loudly and over and over for days.

Tony(Tampa): Did Tua get lowballed to fight Arreola for $75K? If that is accurate you think Tua "priced themselves out of the fight"?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:20 PM ET ) There was never an actual offer but the Tua side made it clear that number wouldn't work for them. If he was interested in the fight there would have been more than than $75,000 available.

Jeff (Redondo Beach, CA): Any new Ricky Hatton songs being sung or are you hearing "Hatton Wonderland" in your sleep still?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:21 PM ET ) They've got a few others but that's the No. 1 hit.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): There's soon to be "Only 1 loss... for Ricky Hatton"

Jordan (Baton Rouge, LA): do you see Povetkin as a serious to the heavyweight division?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:21 PM ET ) Yes.

Mark: (Edmington, AB): Kudos to ESPN and the writers for the great fight coverage -- even better than MW-DLH! In fact, best ever!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:22 PM ET ) Thanks.

Ben (Houston, TX): Any thoughts on Eduardo Escobedo? I know he is trainied by JMM's trainer. Can he pull off an upset?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:22 PM ET ) I don't know much about him but he is trained by Nacho Beristain, who is one of the very best.

Hal (Memphis): I like Ricky Hatton, but is it worrysome to anyone else that Lekei Mayweather seems to have better defensive techniques than Ricky?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:24 PM ET ) That could be one of Ricky's problems.

Andrew (CT): Have any of your press pals changed there pick to hatton yet?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:25 PM ET ) I can't find one US writer picking Hatton outright. Not ONE.

Mrs. Rafael: Since this is such a huge fight, do I get to go too?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:25 PM ET ) No, you have to stay home and work and take care of the cats.

Andrew (CT): Who do you got in the proposed tarver lacy fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:26 PM ET ) Let's see how Jeff looks first.

Steve, Pittsburgh: how have the ratings of 24/7 been for HBO? Better than the original?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:27 PM ET ) The ratings are not in yet but the second series won't rate as high, which was fully expected. Oscar is a much bigger name and star here than Ricky. The first episode, however, drew 2.7 million viewers, which is great.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:29 PM ET ) Sorry, guys, wireless in the press room just dropped out, but I am back now.

Lekei Mayweather (Las Vegas, NV): I have a better jab than half of the fighters featured on Showtimes "EXTRAORDINARY" card last weekend.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:30 PM ET ) That show last week stunk.

Anthony (NY): Does Floyd watch a lot of film on his opponents?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:30 PM ET ) No. Floyd has said many times he never watches tape of his opponent. He leaves that to Roger and Leonard.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): So should I resend my last lame question? Lennox says... Absolutely.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:31 PM ET ) Lennox is 10 feet from me in the press room. Should I ask him?

John (Grand Rapids, MI): Extraordinary doesn't always mean good? Right? I mean that card was EXTRAORDINARILY LAME.

Paul (Carlsbad, CA) : Where would a Hatton upset in your opinion of all time great upsets?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:32 PM ET ) It would be a major upset. Would it be Douglas-Tyson? No.

Richard (Franklin Park, NJ): The most exciting part of the Shotime card last week was the interview between Tarver and Jim Gray. Tarver knew exactly what Jim was getting at... and he didn't like it...heheheh

Billy (Patchogue, New York): 24/7 is undoubtedly one of the most important marketing tools that ever happened to boxing. True statement?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:33 PM ET ) 100% true. But a great series regardless of the marketing implications.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:34 PM ET ) Someone just asked the odds of the fight and I deleted it by accident. Mayweather is about a 2-1 favorite.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:34 PM ET ) The reason I believe the odds have closed so much is because so many Brits are here laying a ton on Hatton, which means they have dropped.

Dante, NY, NY: whats your favorite venue for a megafight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:35 PM ET ) Can't beat Mandalay or MGM.

Carlos (Silver Spring, MD): Do you see yourself drinking a pint of beer with Ricky Hatton after the fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:36 PM ET ) Certainly possible.

Ben (Miami, FL): Will Edner Cherry ever get a big title shot?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:36 PM ET ) He doesn't deserve one yet.

Joseph, San Antonio: D$$, Buy or sell. Hatton loses but satys at 147.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:36 PM ET ) Buy.

tony ( Milwaukee): It's only a matter of time before somebody samples the great music from 24/7 and raps over it !

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:38 PM ET ) You're probably right. Last night HBO held a screening for HBO people, fighters and media and before it began they played the theme music over and over in the place we gathered at the MGM. I love that music.

Showtime: EXTRAORDINARY QUADRUPLE HEADER TOMORROW NIGHT ON Showtime feat. Zuri Lawrence, Ray Austin, Sharmba Mitchell, and in the main event Darrin Morris!!!! Only $99.95

Todd, KC: Yo, what is your favorite boxing movie of all time? I'd have to say Cinderella Man

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:39 PM ET ) Rocky III.

Tony S. (BK): Hatton's brother any good?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:40 PM ET ) Matthew Hatton is on the off TV part of the card (in the US at least). He is a tough kid but not the caliber of his brother.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:40 PM ET ) By the way the press room is impressive -- Lennox is here, Calzaghe, Oscar, Hopkins, Mosley... Pretty impressive.

Matt (portland, OR): Dan I seem to have forgotten, how many Ricky Hatton's are there?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:42 PM ET ) Let's get it straight: There's only one Ricky Hatton!

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Are the celebs expected to be out in full-force tomorrow night?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:43 PM ET ) There will be a lot of Hollywood types, count on it.

Steve, Montreal: How many rounds will Ricky win?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:44 PM ET ) I'll give him three max.

Ed (Dewitt): Is Oscar sticking with Freddie Roach as his trainer or will he reunite with Floyd Sr?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:44 PM ET ) Freddie will train Oscar for his May fight.

billy : there's only one dan rafael!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:45 PM ET ) So true.

Joseph baltimore, MD: of all of the 147lbs which one do you think has the best chance to beat Mayweather, i don't think anyone can beat him.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:46 PM ET ) Cotto for sure. Mosley would make it a fight too.

Justin (Sactown,CA): DTM,If a press room scrum breaks out right now who is the last man standing?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:46 PM ET ) I gotta go with Lennox.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, you are the envy of everyone! I hope you have fun at your ringside seat!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:47 PM ET ) Thanks. I will be thinking of the freaks.

Andrew (CT): is billy grahm's finger really bent like that?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:47 PM ET ) Yes. Absolutely.

Bill (NJ): What time is the weigh in?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:48 PM ET ) 5:30 ET/2:30 PT.

Drew (charlotte, NC): Dan, reading alot of the British Writers pieces on the fight I found them to be a lot less objective than American writers do you feel that is accurate

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:48 PM ET ) They are much less objective. Many of the Brits are very biased toward the UK fighters.

Marlo (Asheville, NC): Dan, are your seats curtosey of someone or do you (or ESPN) actually have to pay for those seats.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:49 PM ET ) Like at all fights, I am a credentialed member of the working media, the same as a reporter covering the Super Bowl or the World Series or any other sporting event.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): Are you allowed to, and do you ever take pictures at the fights for yourself?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:50 PM ET ) LOL. No, I don't.

Joel (Birmingham AL): What happen to Showtimes cards Dan they used to be bankable 1st Sat material now i would rather let my wife watch trading spaces than see Forrest agian

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:51 PM ET ) They've sucked lately.

Dan (Nutley, NJ): I think you should have a RAD from your hotel room tomorrow night after the post fight presser.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:52 PM ET ) I'll be at the bar having a sprite.

Josh (Lincoln, NE): Ever had blood spattered on you during a fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:53 PM ET ) Yes. The very first fight I ever covered -- Buddy McGirt vs George Heckley -- Heckley's blood spurted at ringside and hit us.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:53 PM ET ) By the way, that fight changed my life and made me from a casual fan into a demented freak.

Richard (Franklin Park, NJ): There's only 2 reasons I havn't cancelled my showtime subscription. 1) Vasquez/Marquez III and 2) I'm a FREAK!

Brent(cleveland,oh): Will HBO replay the fight next weekend?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:54 PM ET ) What the hell do you think? You're banned.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): Freaks Fantasy land. Prime PBF vs Prime Meldrick Taylor... Go.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:55 PM ET ) Tremendous fight. I think maybe Taylor, with better hand speed, could pull it out.

Ryan (worcester, ma): You have to give the former paper champ Bill Simmons credit. His 7 hour chat from last week is quite impressive and he is fulling deserving of his title. Now when will you, DTM, be challenging for the crown?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:56 PM ET ) I could beat that record easily if I wanted to. There are so many questions in queue today I could go for it. But I have to go to the weigh in.

E (Omaha): Big Fight Banishment! There's no room for those types of questions Brent

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:56 PM ET ) Exactly.

Joshtin Powers (Mt. Vernon, KY): If Showtime put on another fight card with Antonio Tarver headlining against a jabroni, and Vernon Forrest against some other journeyman, and no one watched, can we say that it ever actually happened?

Michael (Long Beach, CA): I'm amazed at how much bigger Floyd looks than Hatton on the ESPN boxing page. Is this a distortion or is he taht much bigger?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:57 PM ET ) Floyd is bigger.

Matt (Chicago): Did you hear Teddy Atlas questioning Hatton's training methods (with Graham wearing the big body bag?) What did you make of it?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (3:58 PM ET ) I have to agree. Teddy knows a lot more about that stuff than I do.

Kent - St Catharines: Wow surprising pick Dan. I think Taylor pre Chavez might give Mayweather a run for his money but post Chavez 1 Floyd beats him going away in my opinion.

Chris (LA) : Will there be a bonus 24/7 segment like with the Oscar fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:00 PM ET ) I actually asked that to exec producer Rick Bernstein last night at the screening. He said no.

Yorkis (philly): while we're killing Showtime, let's not forget that ShoBox was one of the most exciting boxing shows of the year on Friday!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:00 PM ET ) Valid point. Last week's ShoBox was a terrific card for two one-round fights.

Tomas(Texas): Roger Mayweather seems like an a-hole. Ever met him(interviewed) and is he?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:01 PM ET ) Roger is hilarious and in his own world, but he's a nice enough guy.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:01 PM ET ) I will be right back.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:03 PM ET ) Im back.

Dartagnon McGillicutty: Are you getting annoyed by Love Child's handlers? He has not fought since July and there is nothing on the horizon.

ryan (Houston): Dan, is Mayweather ever going to get another KO? And do you think PBF's fighting style is good for boxing's mainstream popularity?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:09 PM ET ) I wouldn't be shocked if he stopped Hatton tomorrow.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: (4:09 PM ET ) OK, freaks, I am out. Great chat. Enjoy the fight!!! Check out all of our coverage. Chat with you next week! Peace.

I know alot of media guys arnt picking Ricky to win but alot of them have changed there minds in saying its an easy fight for Floyd and its one sided alot ofboxers have picked Hatton to do it saying he has the style to bother him.Maybe in the begining the boxing media wernt buying Ricky Hatton at all but afterbeing around him for almost 2 weeks there eyes have been opened some who knows.

As for betting why put money on Floyd to win hes the favourite hes never gonna have great odds a betting man that wants to make serious money puts it on Rickyhes the rank outsider well was because the $2s to £1 exchange rate means that the Brits have put alot of money on Hatton and those odds have fallen.Can anybodyin the US tell me what was the first fight of Rickys they showed over there was it Kostya? if so thats only 5 of Rickys fights so theres alot you havent seenhis style isnt liked by most Americans but its by no means 1 dimensional watch and see.

Just watching the weigh in now and its rocking 7 000 fans up in there most of them Brits for you Americans out there this is the biggest fight as in build upbuzz and attention in the UK since Bruno vs Tyson its huge everybody,tv channels/shows are talking about it and to be honest usually only die hard boxing fansknow about the fights this is everywhere .

The guy who responded about Lacey hell never be the same boxer a boxer as good as he was meant to be doesnt get licked beaten exposed and giving a pasting for12 rounds and not have it damage his confidence for years yes he got injured last fight but boxings about balls n I think Laceys lost his and itll be a longtime b4 he gets them back.Hes gone from world championship fights to the Contender winner (nothing against Sergio) so even if he wins hes meant to we will tellby his face how confident he is in that ring,but untill I see him have true test I wont be convinced.

Peace
Scottie

Calzaghe walked passed Hopkins at the weight in and Hopkins just looked at him they didnt even shake hands
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
hopkins talking mess to the crowd now

Ricky Hatton is going to have a huge following all i hear is British people singing
Floyd AKA Money Mayweather
laugh.gif

Why does Floyd call Ricky a ****** when they are the same height.
roll.gif

How many titles are on the line for this fight is it only the WBC Welterweight?

Weigh in:
Ricky Hatton 145
Floyd Mayweather 147

"There's only ONNNNNNNNNEEEEEEE Mayweather!"

Can't wait to catch the replay next wk on HBO!

its only the WBC belt. And as far as the betting goes, Just because Floyd is the favorite doesn't mean he's a bad bet. The fact that he's only a2-1 favorite makes him a very good bet to me. If they fought ten times, i think Floyd would win anywhere form 8 to 10 times, which would make him, for me, atworst a 4-1 favorite. Considering i'm getting 2-1 odds on a guy who i think as at least a 4-1 favorite, Floyd is then a good bet to me. IMO, Floyd would bea good bet anywhere up to -400. Since he's only at -225 right now, those are good odds for a guy i think is a prohibitive favorite.

As far as the weigh-in goes, i don't know if you can really take anything away from it. Rickey coming in light is a bit of a surprise, but he did say hefelt sluggish at 147 last time so its understandable he would come in a bit lighter. Still, i have to think he would have been better off properly putting onthe extra weight and being quite a bit stronger and still be able to fight at a fast pace. It also raises the question of whether he overtrained for thisfight. I personally don't think so, but anytime someone comes in 2+ pounds underweight, it has to be brought up, especially for someone like Ricky whosewalk-around weight is so much higher than 147. As for Floyd, its not much of a surprise that he came in at the limit. He was a pound under for Zab andBaldomir, and right on the limit for Sharmba, so this is right in line with how he usually is. It'll be interesting to see the weights in the ring,however. If neither guy really baloons up, Rickey's strength advantage may end up being less than expected since Floyd is taller and weighed in heavier.

They just interviewed Ray Hatton (Rickys Dad/Manager) on sky sports over here straight after the weigh-in and he said Rickys been around the weight for a fewweeks and they allowed his body to find its ideal weight wich they hoped would be slightly inside so they could maybe add those few extra lbs b4 fighttime,rather than comein in on the button and putin on some lbs and makein the same mistake as the Calazzo fight.

I dont think we learned anything much from what just happened other than maybe Mayweather knows Ricky is no way intimidated by him I loved Rickys actions andnotice its always Floyd that has to verbaly respond to those actions while Ricky just smiles back nice to see him thank his fans for comein out as always.

Calzaghe n Hopkins was goin at it to havein to have somebody step in lol comedy I think Joe couldnt resist geein him up I hope that fight gos ahead next yearcause those 2 dislike eachother alot.

Just over 24 hours to go Christmas comein early for me

Peace
Scottie

Dan Rafael: (2:47 PM ET ) He may take a long break but I don't think he will retire. Ideally, if he wins, I would like to see him fight Cotto
Please, pleeeeeease, let everything play out so this fight can be made.

Back
Top Bottom