*** 2008 MLB Draft *** Vol. Rays on The Clock 6/5 @ 2pm ET

Baseball's Draft has come a long way

Annual event sure to be memorable for fans in attendance

There is one day remaining before the 2008 First-Year Player Draft will begin, and for all intent and purposes, Tampa Bay is on the clock. When Commissioner Bud Selig announces which player the Rays have taken with the first pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft on Thursday afternoon, the long wait will be over. The 2008 Draft will be under way and the future of professional baseball will change once again, adjusting to the talents of whoever the Rays elect to make the top selection. There will be 29 other selections to follow in the first round before supplemental picks are made.

So it will go until each of the 30 teams has exhausted its supply of picks sometime late Friday afternoon. While none of the players chosen over the two-day span at The Milk House figures to make a major impact this season -- though it could happen -- the future of the game will forever be changed once the Commissioner announces that first selection.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
There won't be any need for telephones, telegraphs or messengers to get the word out about who will be chosen this season as there was in Monday's day. That's because MLB.com will be there to bring it to you live, once again broadcasting every pick of the Draft. Coverage on Day 1 begins at 2 p.m. ET, with a simulcast of ESPN2's national broadcast of the first round and compensation picks.

So who will be the first selection? According to Rays the five players under consideration are: Florida State catcher Buster Posey; Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez; Georgia high school shortstop Tim Beckham; San Diego left-hander Brian Matusz; and California high school catcher Kyle Skipworth. Mayo's prediction is Beckham.

Whether it's Beckham, Posey or any of the other aforementioned amateur stars, expect several of the top players to be on hand to hear their names called. Who will be in attendance has yet to be determined because the NCAA playoffs are ongoing.

As for the First-Year Player Draft itself, each of the 30 Major League clubs will have a special representative at its table during the opening rounds of the selection process, helping to announce and welcome that club's latest would-be stars. There will be Hall of Famers, World Series heroes, Cy Young Award winners and sentimental favorites on hand at Disney World to help usher in baseball's newest era.

And the future is now. Well, sort of. The only way to know is to tune in or show up and be part of the day's festivities.

Kevin T. Czerwinski is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

FIRST ROUND
1. Tampa Bay Rays

2. Pittsburgh Pirates
3. Kansas City Royals
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. San Francisco Giants
6. Florida Marlins
7. Cincinnati Reds
8. Chicago White Sox
9. Washington Nationals
10. Houston Astros
11. Texas Rangers
12. Oakland Athletics
13. St. Louis Cardinals
14. Minnesota Twins
15. Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Milwaukee Brewers
17. Toronto Blue Jays
18. New York Mets (Glavine/Braves)
19. Chicago Cubs
20. Seattle Mariners
21. Detroit Tigers
22. New York Mets
23. San Diego Padres
24. Philadelphia Phillies
25. Colorado Rockies
26. Arizona Diamondbacks
27. Minnesota Twins (Hunter/Angels)
28. New York Yankees
pimp.gif
(hopefully Yankees get agreat pick)
29. Cleveland Indians
30. Boston Red Sox

The only good thing to come out of the 2007 CWS campaign is the 8th pick in the draft.

Our farm system is pretty depleted

Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez

The GOODS
I been braggin on Vandy's left side of the infield for like 2 yrs now.

Vandy's Ace pitcher went #1 last yr didnt he?

God I hope one of Eric Hosmer or Aaron Crow falls to the Rangers...
The GOODS

Yep... If Tampa took him, Vandy would be the first program to produce consecutive #1 selections... But all indications are they're lookingelsewhere. Alvarez shouldn't fall past Pittsburgh, though...

The Rays stay loading up with talent...

Hopefully the Giants can get a good prospect.

i just hope the nationals can draft some more solid prospects to continue to build on our growing, improving, and stacked farm system.

Yep... If Tampa took him, Vandy would be the first program to produce consecutive #1 selections... But all indications are they're looking elsewhere. Alvarez shouldn't fall past Pittsburgh, though...

Yea, Evan might have that position locked down for a good 10+ yrs

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

The GOODS

Gunna, Did you see the write-up they had about him on espn?

Braves don't get a pick until #40, #64, #96, #130

Last year Braves got Jason Heyward who was selected last year 14th overall and he is tearing up the minor leagues.

Originally Posted by MessiahChild

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

The GOODS

Gunna, Did you see the write-up they had about him on espn?

Nah my dude, Link?

If Omar Minaya (Mets) drafts a reliver with the 18th pick I'll be upset.

Mets need (in this order):

a) 1B
b) Outfielder
c) best available pitcher
d) best available hitter.

We actually have a very good prospect by the name of Mike Carp....but its always to have added insurance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carp starts next year since the Yanks will prob overspend for Tex.

Back
Top Bottom