*** 2008 MLB Draft *** Vol. Rays on The Clock 6/5 @ 2pm ET

Just saw the Red Sox are interested in mkaing Gamecock shortstop Reese Havens into a catcher because of his arm. It'll be nice if twoGamecocks who aren't even seniors get drafted in Round 1.

Originally Posted by ddot7

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

If Omar Minaya (Mets) drafts a reliver with the 18th pick I'll be upset.

Mets need (in this order):

a) 1B
b) Outfielder
c) best available pitcher
d) best available hitter.

From everything I've heard lately, Minaya is going after the best possible players, not just in terms of need. 3 out of the first 33 picks is nice though.

I'm not up to speed on our farm system, but who do we have to replace Castillo/Easley at 2nd base?

Originally Posted by AirVandal180

Originally Posted by ddot7

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

If Omar Minaya (Mets) drafts a reliver with the 18th pick I'll be upset.

Mets need (in this order):

a) 1B
b) Outfielder
c) best available pitcher
d) best available hitter.

From everything I've heard lately, Minaya is going after the best possible players, not just in terms of need. 3 out of the first 33 picks is nice though.

I'm not up to speed on our farm system, but who do we have to replace Castillo/Easley at 2nd base?
First name that comes to mind is Anderson Hernandez, who might just be Rey Ordonez 2.0 (at a different position).

Rays will choose Beckham at No. 1
Tampa Bay opts for talented Georgia high school shortstop

By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

Tim Beckham will be No. 1.
The Rays, holding the first overall selection in today's First-Year Player Draft
, will select the talented high school shortstop from Griffin, Ga., according to officials with knowledge of the team's decision.

"Middle of the field player, very good athlete, an advanced bat," Harrison said. "Has a real good awareness on the field. He plays the game with a great deal of enthusiasm. And then when you spend time with him away from the field, he's the same guy. He's a fun guy to be around."

The Rays have the No. 1 overall selection for the fourth time in their history. Beckham will become the third high school player the Rays have selected with that top pick. Last year's No. 1 pick, David Price, a left-handed pitcher from Vanderbilt, was the lone exception to the prep flavor. In 1999 and 2003, the Rays used the top pick to select high school outfielders in Josh Hamilton and Delmon Young; both outfielders are now in the Major Leagues with other clubs.

Beckham stands 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, which lends him the physical stature to play most positions. Harrison said Beckham "absolutely" will be a shortstop in the Rays organization. A five-tool player, he is said to have the prerequisite range to remain at shortstop.

While Beckham is said to have a good feel for the game, he has some mechanical flaws to his swing. Nevertheless, he still has excellent bat speed. And though he's not a finished product, he has the kind of high ceiling the Rays found irresistible.

Beckham has signed a baseball scholarship to Southern California but wants to play professional baseball. The Rays would like to get him signed as soon as possible and into their system so he can progress as rapidly as possible to the Major Leagues.

The Rays have participated in the Draft since 1996 and have selected the following players in the first round: Paul Wilder, 1996, OF, Cary (High School), N.C.; Jason Standridge, 1997, RHP, Hewitt Trussville (HS), Ala.; Hamilton, 1999, Athens Drive (HS), N.C.; Rocco Baldelli, 2000, OF, Bishop Hendricksen (HS), R.I.; B.J. Upton, 2002, SS, Greenbrier Christian Academy, Chesapeake, Va.; and Delmon Young, 2003, RF, Camarillo (HS), Calif.

Beckham has the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft, and that's generally the direction Tampa Bay goes in, so it makes sense...

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Are people honestly saying teams should draft for need?

This is MLB.
I see what you're saying, but some teams are so thin at a position that a prospect can fly through the farm system and be ready to produce in themajors in a little over a year.

The Giants, with the retirement of Vizquel as shortstop have Brian Bocock and Manny Burriss and neither look like major league ballplayers. If the Giantsdrafted a shortstop, a need for them, they might benefit sooner rather than later.

so what kind of arms do the rays have in their farm system.

their offense looks legit, if they can fix bullpen problems they will be a very competitive team for quite awhile

Lots of Georgia high school baseballers ripe for picking in 2008 MLB Draft
By AJC Sports | Thursday, June 5, 2008, 08:43 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Rookies on parade: Blog about today's MLB Draft here. We'll be watching and working to update you on which Georgia prospects are taken by which teams and when.

Georgia has much reason to celebrate today, as so many Peach State prospects are expected to be drafted into the MLB ranks. The AJC's Thomas Stinson offers us the story of FSU catcher Buster Posey, who advanced the Seminoles in the NCAA tourney, as Stinson puts it, "because Posey had simply willed it" with an amazing offensive outburst in four games as the 'Noles faced elimination.

And then there's Griffin's Tim Beckham, reportedly this draft's No. 1 pick. Rated the top high school prospect in the nation by Baseball America, the Bears shortstop is setting his mind to future plans. His grand "superstar" dreams? "[I'll] be able to take care of my family," he says. "I'll probably get a car I've wanted."

GEORGIA PEACHES
Five players from Georgia are expected to be selected in the first round of today's Major League Baseball draft (2 p.m., ESPN2).
Tim Beckham SS Griffin
Buster Posey C Lee Co./FSU
Gordon Beckham SS Westminster/UGA
Ethan Martin 3B/P Stephens Co.
Josh Fields P Prince Ave./UGA

SWEET FIFTEEN
Georgia players who were listed among BaseballAmerica.com's Top 200 players in the nation. Number indicates where the player is listed in the rankings.
2. Tim Beckham SS Griffin
4. Buster Posey C Florida State
6. Gordon Beckham SS Georgia
16. Ethan Martin 3B/P Stephens Co.
18. Josh Fields P Georgia
59. Xavier Avery OF Cedar Grove
66. Ezekiel Spruill P Kell
80. Zach Cone OF Parkview
99. Jay Austin OF/P North Atlanta
101. Brandon Miller C Woodward Acad.
106. Chase Davidson 1B/OF Milton
139. Michael Palazzone P Lassiter
142. Charlie Blackmon OF Ga. Tech
144. Cecil Tanner P Ware Co.
148. Trevor Holder P Georgia
151. David Duncan P Ga. Tech

Braves like to draft local Georgia kids hopefully they can get something because they lost their pick to the Mets when the Braves signed Tom Glavine.

I see what you're saying, but some teams are so thin at a position that a prospect can fly through the farm system and be ready to produce in the majors in a little over a year.

The Giants, with the retirement of Vizquel as shortstop have Brian Bocock and Manny Burriss and neither look like major league ballplayers. If the Giants drafted a shortstop, a need for them, they might benefit sooner rather than later.
But let's say you had the #1 shortstop who was a great prospect but was also pegged as say the 9th best player still available on your board.Do you still take that SS even though you like 8 players better?

Yes some teams choose the better available player because they would be trade bait and some teams choose the player they need like a Pitcher

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Are people honestly saying teams should draft for need?

This is MLB.
I see what you're saying, but some teams are so thin at a position that a prospect can fly through the farm system and be ready to produce in the majors in a little over a year.

The Giants, with the retirement of Vizquel as shortstop have Brian Bocock and Manny Burriss and neither look like major league ballplayers. If the Giants drafted a shortstop, a need for them, they might benefit sooner rather than later.

The Giants are thin at every position man, but I see what you're saying. I want the Giants to take a corner infielder with some pop, which theydesperately need...more than a shortstop.

Braves need Starting Pitchers and maybe a couple Outfielders but Jordan Shaefer and Jason Heyward are going to be on the Braves in a year or two.

The Rays have participated in the Draft since 1996 and have selected the following players in the first round: Paul Wilder, 1996, OF, Cary (High School), N.C.; Jason Standridge, 1997, RHP, Hewitt Trussville (HS), Ala.; Hamilton, 1999, Athens Drive (HS), N.C.; Rocco Baldelli, 2000, OF, Bishop Hendricksen (HS), R.I.; B.J. Upton, 2002, SS, Greenbrier Christian Academy, Chesapeake, Va.; and Delmon Young, 2003, RF, Camarillo (HS), Calif.
no wonder they suck

But let's say you had the #1 shortstop who was a great prospect but was also pegged as say the 9th best player still available on your board. Do you still take that SS even though you like 8 players better?
You definitely want to take the best player available with each and every pick. But I'll stick to my Giants example, we're picking #5 so justabout any pick we'll make, that player will be at worst #2 at his respective position. And like Franchise 55 pointed out, this team needs help across theboard but last year they loaded up on arms so now they NEED to load up on bats. Of course if there was a David Price in this year's draft and he wasavailable at #5, Brian Sabean would be dumb not to snag him. But he's infamous for making some peculiar decisions in the past.

Originally Posted by DMan14

so what kind of arms do the rays have in their farm system.

their offense looks legit, if they can fix bullpen problems they will be a very competitive team for quite awhile

The Rays have David Price in the minors i've seen him pitch dude can throw major heat 99+ mph and a Lefty too has command of fastball too Rays will becontenders soon though.

Tim Beckham #1 Overall Pick

You have to take BPA regardless of position with every single pick in the baseball draft... You just have to.

The chances of these kids ever making the bigs is small enough as is, there's no sense in taking a lesser talent just because you need someone to fill thathole a few years down the road... You've got to stockpile the most talent you possibly can.

can someone tell bud to take out the "first year player draft" part he sounds stupid

This is way too much Bud Selig for me

smh.gif

This guy has the charisma of a funeral mortician

It's not called Major League Baseball draft because it implies the player would go directly into a Major League team. The organization is making a pick,not a MLB team.

Braves need Starting Pitchers

word. definitely had hard times lately with starting pitchers.
smh.gif

but just noticed they have no first round picks. their first pick is the 40th overall.

go braves
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom