2009 ACC Football thread vol. Watch what you say

laugh.gif
congrats on your.....what crappy bowl did we play in? Congrats onyour win against us at home in our crappy bowl last year. That really makes Cal a national powerhouse, be sure to display that trophy proudly.
roll.gif

I hope Harris has worked hard on his game this season, has there been any word on that from you guys down in Miami?
If he and Shannon don't get it together nicely this year, I don't see Shannon makin it to next year.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Why isn't Miami's D, dominating this conference? I'm not a hardcore college football fan but I though Shannon stays getting all those beasts from Northwestern. I would have thought by now they would be on track to being a top 25 team but it doesn't seem that way.
They'll crack the top 25 this year. I think they'll finish 2nd and at least 3rd in the Coastal.

Originally Posted by CP1708

An actual conference
pimp.gif

not just one team and 9 other nobodies.
laugh.gif
Are you talking about the conference that went undefeated in bowl games. And calling the ACC an actual conference
laugh.gif

Damn, can someone answer my question?

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Because or secondary is terrible. Prob the best DLine in the conference though. And our LB's should be straight if they stay healthy. Secondary outside of Randy Phillips scares me though. Brandon Harris is already our best CB.

Why isn't Miami's D, dominating this conference? I'm not a hardcore college football fan but I though Shannon stays getting all those beasts from Northwestern. I would have thought by now they would be on track to being a top 25 team but it doesn't seem that way.

all those NW kids were Fr....so if nothing is shown this year ask this question in 2010 and this season shouldn't be make or break for Randy unless miamijust does horrible....next season should be that year....but our fans are idiots...so i wouldn't be surprised if they tried running him out over a 8-4record

I think that w/ all the run the frosh's on D got last year, that question should be asked in the upcoming season. At least somewhat.

Maybe not a 'Boom or Bust' label but there should be some improvements.

Like, if BH of Last year is the same as the year before. Or DVD, etc.

43263214.jpg

001Adams3.jpg

wffb.jpg

wffb.jpg

Skylar Jones. (Dude has no Wake pics that I can find)

How much does the loss of Fonzie, Curry, Vaughn, Arnoux and Patterson hurt that D?
sick.gif
sick.gif

If Miami finish above .500 and the games they lost were close then i can't say much....sorta like the losses to NC and FSU...both were within 3points.....hell in Kayne caught that pass then UNC would've been a win....but if we get L's like GT of last year then ima be pissed
laugh.gif
....andhopefully we go 2-2 w/ our first 4 games...i believe we can

I wanna see what

Quarterback-Thaddeus-Lewis-9-of-the-Duke-Blue-Devils-drops-back-to-pass.jpg

Does this year w/o Eron there anymore.

PH2008083100089.jpg

W/o DHB there, he's gonna have to put in major work.

5d2e2e62df_montel.jpg
610x.jpg

I expect these guys to have Huge years.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=acc&media=130656

Beamer's doing questions from twitter.

Schedule:

3:00 p.m. Butch Davis - North Carolina
3:14 p.m. Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech
3:28 p.m. Frank Beamer - Virginia Tech
3:42 p.m. Ralph Friedgen - Maryland
3:56 p.m. David Cutcliffe - Duke
4:10 p.m. John Swofford - ACC Commissioner
4:24 p.m. Al Groh - Virginia
4:38 p.m. Tom O'Brien - NC State
4:52 p.m. Bobby Bowden - Florida State
5:06 p.m. Randy Shannon - Miami
5:20 p.m. Jim Grobe - Wake Forest
5:34 p.m. Doug Rhoads - ACC Coordinator of Football Officials
5:48 p.m Frank Spaziani - Boston College
6:02 p.m. Dabo Swinney - Clemson

Boston College is going to be hurting this year. Davis gone, Herzlich out, new Head Coach, although he's been with the program for a long, long time. Theygot a few playmakers but not enough to keep their heads above water. I despise that place though, so no problems here.

I don't know what the hell to make of Clemson this year.

July 26, 2009
[h1]Spiller wants to make most of decision to return[/h1]
Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer
GREENSBORO, N.C. - Last summer, the entire Clemson team dominated headlines at the Atlantic Coast Conference Media Days. This year, much of the attention instead focuses on one Tiger.
C.J. Spiller figures to handle the hoopla much better than his teammates dealt with it last season.

Spiller turned down the opportunity for an early NFL payday to return to Clemson for his senior season, even though he was projected as a first- or second-round draft pick. Clemson officials have launched a Heisman Trophy campaign for Spiller by printing life-size posters of him in a repeat of a promotional strategy they conducted 25 years earlier for star defensive tackle William "The Refrigerator" Perry.
[table][tr][td]
CJSPILLER250_0726PW.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C.J. Spiller may be the most indispensable player in the ACC.[/td] [/tr][/table]The 4,000 posters for the general public disappeared from area convenience stores in three hours, though the school has produced 700 more to distribute to the media. Those posters were the biggest topic of conversation on the first day of the ACC Media Days gathering at the Grandover Resort.
"It's a real honor," Spiller said, "and the fans are excited about it."

Referring to Spiller as a Heisman Trophy candidate seems overly optimistic. Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, defending Heisman winner Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and 2007 recipient Tim Tebow of Florida enter the season as overwhelming favorites. Besides, no Clemson player has ever finished in the top five of the Heisman balloting, though Steve Fuller placed sixth in 1978.

Then again, Clemson fans might construct a trophy - or even a statue - in Spiller's honor if he somehow could deliver the ACC title that has eluded the Tigers since 1991.

Last season epitomized the frustration Clemson fans have felt for most of the past two decades.

The Tigers were returning All-ACC candidates at every skill position on offense. They were the presumed conference front-runner. Clemson's No. 9 position in the initial Associated Press poll represented the school's highest preseason ranking since 1991.

All those expectations fell to pieces almost immediately. Clemson opened the season with an embarrassing 34-10 loss to Alabama and dropped four of its first seven games before former coach Tommy Bowden was forced out. The Tigers needed a late-season surge just to become bowl eligible.

Clemson won't have to worry about such expectations this season.

The Tigers probably won't enter the season in the national rankings. Two-time defending conference champion Virginia Tech is the prohibitive favorite to win the league title, while Clemson is breaking in a new starting quarterback.

That hasn't reduced Spiller's enthusiasm as he heads into his senior season. He believes the team's increase in intensity will make up for the decrease in star power.

"You see guys working harder, going the extra mile, doing the extra work they have to do to make themselves better players and to make their team better," Spiller said. "That's the main difference this year."

Spiller's sense of urgency is evident from his choice of jewelry. He wears a collection of bracelets on each wrist. On his left wrist is the most recent addition to his collection - a bracelet bearing the motto, "It's Time In '09," which Clemson's skill-position players gave one another.

He also wears on his right wrist a bracelet he was given before last season. That bracelet and its motto, "Great In '08," offer an unwelcome reminder that preseason slogans don't mean a whole lot unless they're backed up with strong performances.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1146/450317.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat;">
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1146/450318.jpg); background-position: right bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
At the end of the day, I wanted to get back with my teammates and finish what we started.

? Clemson running back C.J. Spiller
"Last year, knowing we had all that hype and were ranked so high going into the season, I think we kind of took people for granted," Clemson defensive end Ricky Sapp said. "The games we lost kind of showed that. This year, being that we're flying under the radar, I think it will be a really good year for us."
There's reason to believe Clemson could overachieve this season as much as it underachieved last season.

Clemson returns eight starters from a defense that ranked in the top 20 last year in points allowed and yards allowed. The offensive line, a weakness of last year's team, should emerge as a strength now that it returns five starters. The Tigers also had an entire offseason to adjust to coach Dabo Swinney, who replaced Bowden midway through last season.

Of course, none of that would have mattered if Spiller had left for the NFL. Spiller went back and forth on his decision. Even his mother thought he should leave for the early payday. Spiller finally decided he couldn't leave without taking care of some unfinished business.

"At the end of the day, I wanted to get back with my teammates and finish what we started," Spiller said.

Spiller enters the season as arguably the ACC's most indispensable player. Clemson has no chance of getting to the ACC Championship Game in Tampa, Fla., without a big season from him.

And that's an awful lot of pressure to put on a guy who never has run for 1,000 yards or has caught as many as 35 passes in a single season.

Although Spiller never put together that one dominant season while splitting carries with James Davis the past three years, he still is generally regarded as one of the nation's most explosive and versatile players. Opponents marvel at his ability to score from anywhere on the field.

"He can change the game in one play," Boston College defensive end Jim Ramella said.

Spiller frequently has done just that.

He is 921 yards away from the ACC record for career all-purpose yardage, a mark he should reach by the midway point of the season. He has scored from at least 50 yards out a school-record 12 times, including eight touchdowns of at least 80 yards.

Florida State linebacker Dekoda Watson offered the best description of the frustration that Spiller causes opposing defenses. Spiller turned a screen pass into a 44-yard touchdown in a 41-27 loss to Florida State last season.

"No matter how hard I was running, his image just kept on getting smaller until he got to the end zone," Watson said.

Spiller has scored a touchdown four different ways - by passing the ball, running from scrimmage, catching a pass and returning a kickoff. And if that weren't enough, Spiller also is the first Clemson running back to be named All-ACC and Academic All-ACC in the same semester. He enters his senior season just 12 credit hours shy of earning a degree in sociology.

He cemented his status as a folk hero around campus by returning to school for his senior year. Now he wants to make the most of his decision.

Spiller understands what's at stake. He has revealed a different side of his personality this summer while preparing for his last season in a Clemson uniform.

"I find myself being a more vocal leader than I had been the past two years," Spiller said. "That's been the biggest adjustment, being that vocal guy. I'd kind of let my actions speak for themselves. This year, I have the mindset that I have to be a more vocal leader for our team to be successful."
Spiller's willing to make that adjustment, even if it doesn't necessarily fit his soft-spoken nature. As much as he loves his bracelets, Spiller would rather be wearing an ACC championship ring

2009 ACC Football Kickoff Preseason Media Balloting

Atlantic Division

1. Florida State (56) 479
2. Clemson (14) 387
3. NC State (10) 364
4. Wake Forest (7) 295
5. Maryland 157
6. Boston College 145

Coastal Division
1. Virginia Tech (78) 512
2. Georgia Tech (9) 415
3. North Carolina 350
4. Miami 282
5. Virginia 148
6. Duke 120

Predicted ACC Championship Game Winner
1. Virginia Tech 69
2. Florida State 7
Georgia Tech 7
3. Clemson 2
NC State 2

2009 Preseason ACC Player of the Year

1. Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech 39
2. C.J. Spiller, Clemson 28
3. Russell Wilson, NC State 16
4. Christian Ponder, Florida State 1 (
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
)
Vic Hall, Virginia 1
Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech 1
Riley Skinner 1

[table][tr][td]
No. 88 Duke
[/td] [td]
duke_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h5]PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP[/h5]OFFENSE
QB Thaddeus Lewis (6-2, 200, Sr.)
RB Re'quan Boyette (5-10, 200, Sr.)
WR Sheldon Bell (6-4, 200, Jr.)
WR Donovan Varner (5-9, 170, Soph.)
WR Johnny Williams (5-10, 190, Soph.)
TE Brett Huffman (6-5, 235, Jr.)
T Pontus Bondeson (6-6, 275, Jr.)
T Kyle Hill (6-6, 270, Soph.)
G Jarrod Holt (6-6, 310, Sr.)
G Brian Moore (6-4, 280, Soph.)
C Bryan Morgan (6-3, 250, Jr.)
DEFENSE
E Wesley Oglesby (6-6, 245, Jr.)
NT Charlie Hatcher (6-3, 310, Sr.)
T Vince Oghobaase (6-6, 300, Sr.)
E Ayanga Okpokowuruk (6-4, 255, Sr.)
LB Abraham Kromah (6-1, 215, Jr.)
LB Vincent Rey (6-0, 240, Sr.)
LB Damian Thornton (6-1, 235, Jr.)
CB Lee Butler (5-10, 180, Soph.)
CB Leon Wright (5-9, 170, Sr.)
S Matt Daniels (6-1, 195, Soph.)
S Catron Gainey (6-2, 205, Sr.)
SPECIAL TEAMS
K Nick Maggio (6-4, 190, Jr.)
P Kevin Jones (6-3, 200, Jr.)
KR Jay Hollingsworth (5-11, 185, Soph.)
PR Leon Wright (5-9, 170, Sr.)
COACH: David Cutcliffe (4-8 in one season; 48-37 in seven seasons overall).
LAST SEASON: 4-8 overall, 1-7 in ACC (sixth in ACC Coastal).
FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 79th.
KEEP AN EYE ON: Re'quan Boyette led the Blue Devils in rushing in 2006 and '07, but he sat out the '08 season with a knee injury. If he stays healthy, Boyette could help awaken a dormant rushing attack. Duke hasn't averaged more than 3.2 yards per carry and hasn't featured a 500-yard rusher since 2003.
STAR POWER: Senior QB Thaddeus Lewis enters his fourth year as a starter having thrown for more than 2,000 yards in each of his first three seasons. He leads all ACC active players in career passing yards (6,735), touchdown passes (47), 300-yard passing games (four) and total offense (6,609). After getting picked off 16 times as a freshman, Lewis has had a 36-to-16 touchdown-to-interception ratio in the past two seasons. Lewis faces an additional challenge this season as he looks for a new favorite target following the departure of Eron Riley.
STRENGTHS: Lewis gives Duke one of the better quarterbacks in the ACC, though the losses of Riley and Raphael Chestnut in the receiving corps could hinder the passing game. DT Vince Oghobaase is one of the nation's most underrated defensive linemen; he has 29 career tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks, which ranks him below only North Carolina State DE Willie Young among active ACC players. Duke's biggest strength may be its coaching staff. Cutcliffe's arrival has helped give Duke a sense of legitimacy that was apparent in the Blue Devils' improved record. Cutcliffe's arrival also has paid off on the recruiting trail, which eventually should make Duke more competitive within the conference.
WEAKNESSES: Duke has struggled to run the ball for the past five years and likely won't be able to leave the Coastal Division basement until it can establish some semblance of a rushing attack. The Blue Devils could struggle to solve that problem this season with only two returning starters on the offensive line. Duke also must do a better job of stopping people after ranking last in the ACC in pass efficiency defense and 11th in run defense last season.
THE BUZZ: Duke clearly is on the right track. By going 4-8 in Cutcliffe's first season, the Blue Devils matched their win total from the previous four years combined. The question is whether Duke can take that next step by challenging for a bowl bid. That goal might be a bit too ambitious this season. The Blue Devils lack experience on the offensive line and in the receiving corps, and their defense could have a tough time replacing star LB Michael Tauiliili. Duke ought to win three of its first four games before beginning its conference schedule, but the Blue Devils could have a tough time winning more than one league game.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 70 Virginia
[/td] [td]
virginia_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
QB Vic Hall (5-9, 190, Sr.)
RB Mikell Simpson (6-1, 200, Sr.)
WR Javaris Brown (5-11, 180, R-Fr.)
WR Kris Burd (5-11, 189, Soph.)
WR Dontrelle Inman (6-3, 191, Jr.)
WR Jared Green (6-2, 178, Soph.)
T Will Barker (6-7, 315, Sr.)
T Landon Bradley (6-7, 275, Soph.)
G B.J. Cabbell (6-6, 304, Jr.)
G Austin Pasztor (6-7, 310, Soph.)
C Jack Shields (6-5, 289, Jr.)
DEFENSE
E Nate Collins (6-3, 280, Sr.)
NT Nick Jenkins (6-3, 285, Soph.)
E Matt Conrath (6-7, 269, Soph.)
LB Denzel Burrell (6-4, 230, Sr.)
LB Darren Childs (6-1, 233, Sr.)
LB Steve Greer (6-2, 218, R-Fr.)
LB Cam Johnson (6-4, 220, Soph.)
CB Ras-I Dowling (6-2, 200, Jr.)
CB Chris Cook (6-2, 201, Sr.)
FS Rodney McLeod (5-10, 180, Soph.)
SS Corey Mosley (5-10, 197, Soph.)
SPECIAL TEAMS
K Chris Hinkebein (6-1, 190, Soph.)
P Jimmy Howell (6-6, 238, Soph.)
KR Javaris Brown (5-11, 180, R-Fr.)
PR Chase Minnifield (6-0, 192, Soph.)
COACH: Al Groh (56-44 in eight seasons; 82-84 in 14 seasons overall).
LAST SEASON: 5-7 overall, 3-5 in ACC (fifth in ACC Coastal).
FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 61st.
KEEP AN EYE ON: Vic Hall spent most of his junior year as an effective starting cornerback for Virginia, but he moved to quarterback for the season finale against Virginia Tech and performed well enough to stay there through spring practice. Hall will open the season as Virginia's No. 1 quarterback if he can beat out 2007 starter Jameel Sewell, who was out of school last year for academic reasons. Hall remains an unproven passer, but his performance against Virginia Tech revealed he had the running ability to cause headaches for opposing defenses.
STAR POWER: Junior Ras-I Dowling has established himself as one of the top cover corners in the ACC. If the third-year starter continues his rapid rate of improvement, Dowling has an outside chance of competing for All-America honors this season. OT Will Barker is another All-ACC contender who should continue Virginia's recent tradition of sending offensive linemen to the NFL.
STRENGTHS: Barker leads an offensive line that returns four starters. Virginia also has plenty of experience on the defensive line, even though the Cavaliers don't have a whole lot of star power up front. The presence of Dowling and the return of CB Chris Cook after a one-year absence should fortify the Cavaliers' secondary. Virginia should be able to run the ball effectively with either Hall or Sewell joining TB Mikell Simpson in the backfield.
WEAKNESSES: The passing attack is a huge concern. Hall and Sewell are outstanding runners, but can either throw the ball with consistent accuracy? Virginia also must replace its top four receivers from last season. The departures of Clint Sintim, Antonio Appleby and Jon Copper leave a major hole at linebacker. The kicking game must get a whole lot better; every field-goal attempt was an adventure for the Cavaliers last season.
THE BUZZ: Virginia is counting on the arrival of new offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon to help spark a team that averaged just 16.1 points per game last season. Virginia has ranked outside the top 100 in total offense each of the past three seasons. The offense should be more exciting under Brandon, a spread proponent who spent the past six seasons as Bowling Green's coach. Virginia probably will need to score more points this season because the defense isn't likely to be as effective after losing so much talent at linebacker. After a "gimme" opener against William & Mary, the Cavs play three tough games in a row: TCU, at Southern Miss and at North Carolina. It looks as if a 2-2 start is the best Virginia can hope for, and 1-3 wouldn't be a surprise. If the Cavs start 1-3, it will be a long season.
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 68 Boston College
[/td] [td]
bostoncollege_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
QB Codi Boek (6-3, 221, Jr.)
TB Montel Harris (5-10, 192, Soph.)
FB James McCluskey (6-2, 246, Jr.)
WR Rich Gunnell (5-11, 196, Sr.)
pimp.gif

WR Justin Jarvis (6-5, 196, Sr.)
TE Lars Anderson (6-3, 248, Soph.)
T Anthony Castonzo (6-7, 287, Jr.)
T Rich Lapham (6-8, 322, Jr.)
G Thomas Claiborne (6-3, 323, Jr.)
G Emmett Cleary (6-7, 267, R-Fr.)
C Matt Tennant (6-4, 294, Sr.)
DEFENSE
E Austin Giles (6-3, 283, Sr.)
T Kaleb Ramsey (6-3, 256, Soph.)
T Damik Scafe (6-3, 293, Jr.)
E Jim Ramella (6-4, 243, Sr.)
LB Nick Clancy (6-3, 217, R-Fr.)
LB Alexander DiSanzo (6-3, 222, R-Fr.)
LB Will Thompson (6-1, 235, Soph.)
CB Donnie Fletcher (6-1, 186, Soph.)
CB Roderick Rollins (6-0, 188, Sr.)
FS Wes Davis (6-1, 215, Jr.)
SS Marcellus Bowman (6-2, 217, Sr.)
SPECIAL TEAMS
K Steve Aponavicius (5-10, 198, Sr.)
P Ryan Quigley (6-2, 180, Soph.)
KR Montel Harris (5-10, 192, Soph.)
PR Rich Gunnell (5-11, 196, Sr.)
COACH: Frank Spaziani (first season).
LAST SEASON: 9-5 overall, 5-3 in ACC (first in ACC Atlantic). Lost to Virginia Tech in the ACC championship game. Lost to Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl.
FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 29th.
KEEP AN EYE ON: The suspension and resulting transfer of sophomore QB Dominique Davis ? who started late last season ? means that junior college transfer Codi Boek, redshirt freshman Justin Tuggle or redshirt freshman Alexander Atiyeh will open the season as Boston College's starting quarterback. The Eagles' chances of contending for a third consecutive Atlantic Division title depend in large part on whether one of those candidates can do an adequate job. The Eagles also need LB Mike McLaughlin to recover quickly from an Achilles injury, particularly now that 2008 ACC defensive player of the year Mark Herzlich has been diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a form of cancer found in bone or soft tissue; Herzlich's career appears to be over. McLaughlin's injury caused him to miss all of spring practice and has left his status uncertain for the start of the season.
STAR POWER: T Anthony Castonzo and C Matt Tennant are two of the best offensive linemen in the ACC. Their presence could open up plenty of running room for Montel Harris and Josh Haden, sophomore running backs with loads of potential.
STRENGTHS: BC annually boasts one of the best offensive lines in the ACC, and this season ought to be no exception. The Eagles return four starting linemen who should control the line of scrimmage all season. BC has enough firepower to run the ball effectively, though the lack of a proven quarterback could cause opposing defenses to stack the line to stop the run. BC also returns three starters from a secondary that helped the Eagles tie for the NCAA lead with 26 interceptions last season.
WEAKNESSES: The uncertainty at quarterback overshadows everything else on offense and could haunt BC all season. Will anyone respect BC's passing attack? The health problems of Herzlich and McLaughlin at linebacker turned a potential strength into a major weakness. Boston College also will have trouble replacing first-round draft pick B.J. Raji and second-round selection Ron Brace at defensive tackle.
THE BUZZ: Few college programs in recent memory have endured offseasons as discouraging as what BC has gone through this year. First came the firing of coach Jeff Jagodzinski after he interviewed for an NFL head-coaching job; Jagodzinski led the Eagles to division titles in each of his two seasons on the job. New coach Frank Spaziani was one of the nation's most underrated defensive coordinators, but he's an unknown quantity as a head coach. Then came the heartbreaking news involving Herzlich, who would have opened the season as an All-America candidate. Finally, there was Davis' departure. BC has proved the experts wrong by reaching the ACC championship game each of the past two seasons. If BC makes it again this season, it would represent this program's most stunning accomplishment yet.
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 59 Maryland
[/td] [td]
maryland_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
QB Chris Turner (6-4, 220, Sr.)
TB Da'Rel Scott (5-11, 200, Jr.)
FB Cory Jackson (6-1, 245, Sr.)
WR Tony Logan (5-10, 180, Soph.)
WR Torrey Smith (6-1, 200, Soph.)
TE Tommy Galt (6-5, 260, Sr.)
T Bruce Campbell (6-7, 310, Jr.)
T R.J. Dill (6-7, 320, R-Fr.)
G Justin Lewis (6-4, 320, R-Fr.)
G Lamar Young (6-4, 320, Soph.)
C Phil Costa (6-3, 300, Sr.)
DEFENSE
E Derek Drummond (6-4, 250, Soph.)
NT Dion Armstrong (6-1, 303, Soph.)
T Travis Ivey (6-4, 325, Sr.)
E Jared Harrell (6-5, 265, Sr.)
LB Demetrius Hartsfield (6-2, 230, R-Fr.)
LB Adrian Moten (6-2, 230, Jr.)
LB Alex Wujciak (6-3, 255, Jr.)
CB Anthony Wiseman (5-10, 185, Sr.)
CB Nolan Carroll (6-1, 202, Sr.)
FS Terrell Skinner (6-3, 214, Sr.)
SS Jamari McCollough (5-11, 200, Sr.)
SPECIAL TEAMS
K Mike Barbour (5-10, 165, Soph.)
P Travis Baltz (6-2, 200, Jr.)
KR Torrey Smith (6-1, 200, Soph.)
PR Tony Logan (5-10, 180, Soph.)
COACH: Ralph Friedgen (64-36 in eight seasons).
LAST SEASON: 8-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in ACC Atlantic). Beat Nevada in the Humanitarian Bowl.
FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 34th.
KEEP AN EYE ON: WR Torrey Smith set an ACC single-season record with 1,089 kickoff return yards last season. This season, he should make more of an impact on offense. Smith caught 24 passes for 336 yards last season, which makes him the Terps' top returning receiver. RB Davin Meggett showed plenty of big-play potential while rushing for 457 yards and four touchdowns as a true freshman. He should emerge as a nice complement to Da'Rel Scott in the backfield. Phil Costa, one of the Terps' only experienced offensive linemen, is shifting from guard to center.
STAR POWER: Scott ran for 1,133 yards last season and ranked second in the ACC with 94.4 rushing yards per game. He sat out the first half of the Humanitarian Bowl and still managed to gain 174 yards on just 14 carries. Maryland's inexperience on the line and the emergence of Meggett could prevent Scott from matching his 2008 totals, but he still should emerge as one of the ACC's most dangerous runners.
STRENGTHS: Scott and Meggett could give Maryland one of the nation's most effective running back tandems. Smith's presence ought to give the Terps a dangerous kick-return unit. P Travis Baltz should be one of the best in the nation at his position. Maryland's strength against ranked opponents last season shows that Friedgen has a way of getting his team fired up for big games.
WEAKNESSES: Maryland lost five of its top seven offensive linemen, including three-year starting C Edwin Williams. LT Bruce Campbell is the only returning starter on the line playing the same position he did last season. The losses of Dave Philistin, Moise Fokou, Chase Bullock and Rick Costa leave the Terps untested at linebacker. QB Chris Turner is a returning starter, but he has struggled with consistency for much of his career.
THE BUZZ: Maryland was one of the most unpredictable teams in the nation last season, as the Terps went 4-1 against teams ranked in The Associated Press poll yet also lost to Middle Tennessee, struggled to beat Delaware and got waxed 31-0 by Virginia. Maryland now must gain consistency after losing a bunch of experience. The Terps return six starters on offense and four on defense. Scott and Meggett are dynamic players, but how much running room will they find when the line is young and the passing game is lackluster? The answer to that question could determine whether Maryland earns a bowl bid. After opening on the road at California, Maryland plays its next four ? and five of its next six ? at home.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

whats funny about that? CJ about to put in work MAJOR WORK
Clemson ain't doing +!@# for CJ to be bought into the Heisman talks and CJ really isn't that nice. He ain't gonna do +!@# as a fulltime back. He doesn't have Davis there anymore to wear down defenses for him.

Wake Forest Preview:

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 44 Wake Forest
[/td] [td]
wakeforest_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Jim Grobe (54-44 in eight seasons; 87-77-1 overall in 14 seasons). | Staff
In 2008: 8-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in ACC Atlantic). Beat Navy in the EagleBank Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 9. Defense: 4. Special teams: 0. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 39th. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 64th in 2009, 58th in '08, 89th in '07, 75th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://OFFENSE

THE SCHEME: Wake Forest typically spreads things out more than most ACC teams, but the Demon Deacons plan to use the I-formation more this season in an attempt to capitalize on the experience of their line.
[table][tr][td]
0666-WFRILEYSKINNER250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Riley Skinner enters his final season having grown into one of the nation's better quarterbacks.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Any casual ACC fan knows the story of senior QB Riley Skinner's improbable rise. Skinner barely received any attention from Division I programs before receiving a late offer from Wake Forest. He replaced an injured Ben Mauk early in his redshirt freshman season and went on to lead the Demon Deacons to an ACC title. Skinner is entering his fourth year as a starter and is attempting to lead the Deacons to a fourth consecutive bowl bid. Skinner's numbers aren't overwhelming, and he hasn't necessarily shown dramatic improvement over the course of his career, but he's a proven winner who has helped Wake experience the type of success it hadn't enjoyed in decades.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Wake's lack of proven receivers should create instant opportunities for redshirt freshmen Terence Davis and Chris Givens. Davis has won plenty of praise from coach Jim Grobe, while the speedy Givens enjoyed an exceptional spring. In the Demon Deacons' final spring scrimmage, Givens ran for 89 yards and a touchdown on two carries and caught three passes for 39 yards, making him the Black team's leading rusher and receiver.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Fifth-year senior RB Kevin Harris is hoping to build on the momentum he established by rushing for 136 yards in the EagleBank Bowl. Harris had carried the ball just nine times all season before the bowl, but his big performance against Navy should ensure he gets the ball in his hands more often this season. He could even win the starting job over Josh Adams and Brandon Pendergrass, who combined for 930 yards on 272 carries last season.

STRONGEST AREA: The line hindered Wake Forest's rushing attack last season, but it should emerge as the Deacons' biggest strength this season. The Deacons return all five starters on the line and also welcome back T Chris DeGeare, a former starter at guard who sat out the 2008 season for academic reasons. Skinner gives Wake one of the nation's most experienced quarterbacks. Although the Deacons don't have a star running back, they have plenty of talented and experienced options.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Wake Forest lacks a go-to receiver following the departure of D.J. Boldin, who caught 81 passes as a senior last fall. Boldin had more than three times as many catches as anyone else on the roster. Marshall Williams is the only wide receiver who caught at least 20 passes last season who returns.

GRADE: B

http://DEFENSE

THE SCHEME: Wake will continue to run a 4-3 defense this season.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
0666-WFBOOROBINSON250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Boo Robinson makes up half of one of the nation's top tackle tandems.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: The departures of Butkus Award winner Aaron Curry and ACC career interception leader Alphonso Smith removed most of the star power from this defense, but the Deacons still have at least a couple of All-ACC contenders on this side of the ball. Fifth-year senior NT Boo Robinson recorded 47 tackles ? six for loss ? and five sacks last season, and he should emerge as one of the ACC's top interior linemen. Although he was overshadowed by Smith and former safety Chip Vaughn in the secondary last season, CB Brandon Ghee is a solid player in his own right. Ghee suffered a knee injury during spring practice, but he should be ready for the start of the season.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: CB Kenny Okoro performed well enough in practice last fall that coaches were tempted to play him, but the presence of Smith and Ghee kept him on the sidelines. Okoro, a redshirt freshman, earned rave reviews this spring and should have a featured role in the secondary this season, even if he doesn't open the season in the starting lineup. He has the size and speed to make a major impact.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: LB Matt Woodlief has been an exceptional special teams performer throughout his career, but he struggled to earn playing time on defense because Wake had so many experienced linebackers. That's no longer the case. Wake must break in three new starting linebackers, and the hard-hitting Woodlief almost certainly will be the guy manning the middle when the Deacons open the season.

STRONGEST AREA: There aren't many obvious strengths on a defense that features so many new starters, but the Deacons do look solid in the middle of the line. The return of Robinson and John Russell give the Deacons perhaps the finest pair of tackles in the ACC.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The lack of any returning starters in the linebacking corps make that position the most obvious weakness, but the situation at safety provides even more cause for concern. The Deacons likely will open the season with sophomore Cyhl Quarles at strong safety and junior Alex Frye at free safety. Quarles lacks experience, while Frye has struggled in pass coverage.

GRADE: C

http://SPECIAL TEAMS

Wake suffered a major loss with the departure of K/P Sam Swank, but the Deacons had to play half the schedule without him when he got hurt last season. Shane Popham filled both roles in Swank's absence, but he wasn't particularly effective. Popham went 7-for-12 on field-goal attempts ? 2-for-6 from at least 30 yards ? and averaged just 39.2 yards per punt. The Deacons would like to have two guys split the kicking and punting duties this season so that one injury doesn't hurt the special-teams unit as much as it did last season. Don't be surprised if true freshman Jimmy Newman wins the kicking job at some point in the season. Frye was so-so as a kick returner last season, and the Demon Deacons need to find a new punt returner. The punt-coverage unit was exceptional last season, and the kick-coverage team was solid.

http://COACHING

Why are we ranking the Deacons in our top 50 after they suffered so many graduation losses? Here's your reason: Grobe has proved time and time again that he can remain competitive in the ACC even when his teams have less talent than their conference foes. We're betting that he continues to work magic this season. Wake arguably underachieved a bit last season while dealing with plenty of changes on its staff after Eastern Kentucky hired former offensive coordinator Dean Hood as its coach. That shouldn't be a problem this season because the staff returns intact.

GRADE: A

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 5[/td] [td]Baylor[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 12[/td] [td]Stanford[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 19[/td] [td]Elon[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]at Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]N.C. State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 17[/td] [td]at Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 24[/td] [td]at Navy[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]Miami[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]at Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]at Duke[/td] [/tr][/table]

http://SCHEDULE

Wake opens the season with three non-conference games in a row at home, but the Demon Deacons can't count on heading into their ACC schedule unbeaten. Baylor and Stanford open the season with bowl aspirations that might not be fulfilled unless they beat Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons play five of their first six games at home before going on the road for four of their final six contests. The good news is that Wake avoids two-time defending ACC champion Virginia Tech unless they meet in the conference championship game. Wake must watch out for its Oct. 24 non-conference trip to Navy, which is sandwiched between a trip to Clemson and a home game with Miami. Navy won at Wake Forest last season before losing a rematch in the EagleBank Bowl.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

Last season, Wake Forest relied on its defense to make up for its offensive deficiencies. This season, the Deacons are going to need their offense to carry more of the load while their defense gains experience. It's tough to imagine Wake improving on its 8-5 finish after losing Curry and Smith to the NFL. The Deacons won't come close to matching that record unless their offense gets a whole lot better. The good news is that the offense indeed should improve quite a bit. The line should be significantly better, the Deacons know what to expect from Skinner and a running game that mustered just 3.1 yards per carry should upgrade that average this season. The question is how much the defense will slip without Curry and Smith. Wake often has won close games recently because of its coaching and superiority on special teams. Grobe's presence means Wake still has the advantage on the sidelines most Saturdays, but the Deacons can't count on winning games with a late field goal now that Swank has departed.

? STEVE MEGARGEE
http:// [table][tr][td]
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Riley Skinner *, 6-1, 205, Sr.
Ryan McManus, 6-1, 200, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TB[/td] [td]Kevin Harris, 6-1, 225, Sr.
Josh Adams *, 6-0, 182, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Mike Rinfrette *, 6-3, 265, Jr.
Tommy Bohanon, 6-2, 238, Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Devon Brown, 5-9, 185, Soph.
Chris Givens, 6-0, 195, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Marshall Williams, 6-1, 193, Soph.
Jordan Williams, 6-3, 200, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Ben Wooster *, 6-5, 235, Jr.
Andrew Parker, 6-5, 225, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Chris DeGeare, 6-4, 362, Sr.
Dennis Godfrey, 6-3, 320, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Joe Birdsong *, 6-4, 290, Sr.
Doug Weaver, 6-8, 290, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Jeff Griffin %, 6-3, 292, Sr.
Michael Hoag, 6-6, 295, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Barrett McMillin *, 6-3, 285, Sr.
Joe Looney *, 6-3, 295, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Russell Nenon *, 6-4, 285, Jr.
Trey Bailey, 6-2, 290, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Shane Popham, 5-11, 190, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Devon Brown, 5-9, 185, Soph.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Tristan Dorty, 6-2, 249, Soph.
Derricus Ellis, 6-2, 225, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NT[/td] [td]Boo Robinson *, 6-2, 295, Sr.
Ramon Booi, 6-6, 300, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]John Russell *, 6-4, 283, Jr.
Michael Lockett, 6-0, 285, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Kyle Wilber *, 6-5, 230, Soph.
Will Wright, 6-4, 232, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Hunter Haynes, 6-2, 240, Jr.
Kyle Jarrett, 6-2, 230, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Jonathan Jones, 6-3, 240, Sr.
Lee Malchow, 6-5, 230, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Matt Woodlief, 5-11, 255, Jr.
Dominique Midgett, 6-2, 245, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Brandon Ghee *, 6-0, 191, Sr.
Kenny Okoro, 6-0, 185, R-Fr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Michael Williams, 6-1, 170, Soph.
Josh Bush, 5-11, 195, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Alex Frye, 6-3, 195, Jr.
John Stamper, 6-0, 195, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Cyhl Quarles, 6-3, 205, Soph.
Junior Petit-John, 6-0, 200, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Shane Popham, 5-11, 190, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Alex Frye, 6-3, 195, Jr.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td](NOTE: *--denotes returning starter; %--denotes returning starter who has changed positions.)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Miami Preview

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 39 Miami
[/td] [td]
miami_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Randy Shannon (12-13 in two seasons). | Staff
In 2008: 7-6 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in ACC Coastal). Lost to California in the Emerald Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 6. Defense: 7. Special teams: 1. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 44th. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 15th in 2009, 5th in '08, 19th in '07, 14th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]

THE SCHEME: The Hurricanes run a pro-set offense. They went three-wide at times last season, and under new coordinator Mark Whipple, we should see more of that this season. There is a large group of talented wide receivers and questions at tight end and fullback, so why not put more playmakers on the field?
[table][tr][td]
0919-MIAGRAIGCOOPER_405.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Graig Cooper will shoulder a lot of the load for Miami.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Junior RB Graig Cooper is a multi-talented guy. He has good speed, is an effective receiver and a solid return man. An injury to backup Javarris James meant Cooper was on the field too often last season and cut down on his impact. Expect to see both players on the field at the same time this season, as Cooper can be moved all over the place in an attempt to exploit mismatches. While Cooper has good speed, he also can be effective running up the gut. In short, he's a talented all-around back.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Watch for redshirt freshman WR Kendal Thompkins. He played in the first two games last season before suffering a wrist injury that caused him to miss the rest of the season. Thompkins has good speed and can get deep, both needed dimensions in this offense. Plus, he played with new starting QB Jacory Harris in high school.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Harris started twice last season as a true freshman ? in the opener, a glorified scrimmage against Charleston Southern, and in the bowl game, which was a hard-fought loss to California in which the offense was shut down. Harris did play extensively as a backup, and the starting job is all his this season with the transfer of 11-game starter Robert Marve to Purdue. Harris will be asked to throw the ball downfield more under Whipple, who comes from the NFL. Harris needs to add bulk, but he has a good arm and mobility. He lacks a proven go-to receiver, but there are numerous candidates.

STRONGEST AREA: The receiving corps is unproven, but this has the makings of a deep and productive group. And they're almost all underclassmen. There are big, physical guys, such as junior Leonard Hankerson, sophomore Laron Byrd and redshirt freshman Tommy Streeter. There are smaller, quick guys, such as sophomores Travis Benjamin, Thearon Collier and Davon Johnson and Thompkins. There's also sophomore Aldarius Johnson, who is big and fast and may have the most upside of anybody in this group. A go-to receiver needs to emerge; while it's nice having a deep group of targets, it's also nice for a quarterback to have one guy he knows he can count on. Harris and Johnson were a potent pass-catch duo in high school at powerhouse Miami Northwestern. Miami had 22 touchdown passes last season, but no receiver caught more than 31 passes and the average completion was just 10.8 yards. There also is a deep group of running backs, headed by Cooper and James. In addition, there are two touted true freshmen ? Mike James, who enrolled early and went through spring ball, and Lamar Miller ? who could push their way into the playing-time picture.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The line needs some work. Other than senior T Jason Fox, headed into his fourth season as a starter, no lineman stands out. Fox has started every game but one in his Miami career; he missed last season's victory over Virginia Tech with an injury. G Orlando Franklin has the talent to become an all-league player. The depth isn't good, and if Fox and/or Franklin is lost for any amount of time, trouble could ensue. Miami ran for just 129.2 yards per game last season, and the line's inconsistency was a major reason for the lack of production. Tight end is another potential trouble spot. Dedrick Epps suffered a severe knee injury in the Emerald Bowl loss to California and may miss the season. His replacement would be Richard Gordon, a senior who has done nothing in his college career.

THE SCHEME: The Hurricanes run a 4-3 set. UM has been known for its aggressive nature on defense for much of the past two decades, and that won't change with new coordinator John Lovett, who was hired off North Carolina's staff to replace Jim Young - who went to Oklahoma State. This still will be coach Randy Shannon's defense.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
0666-MIAMARCUSFORSTON250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Miami will look for a breakout season from Marcus Forston.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Sophomore LB Sean Spence is a star on the rise after a freshman All-America performance last season. He has excellent speed and is a hard hitter. Coaches will be looking for more big plays from him this season, and he has the talent and skill to come through in that regard.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Look for true freshman Ray Ray Armstrong to get on the field this season; he's too good ? and too explosive ? not to play. Armstrong (6 feet 4/215 pounds) played both ways at Sanford (Fla.) Seminole, which won Florida's big-school state title. He was the starting quarterback on offense and played safety and linebacker on defense. He'll likely begin fall drills as a backup safety, and his speed, athleticism and big-play potential will get him on the field sooner rather than later.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Junior T Allen Bailey signed with Miami as a linebacker, moved to end, then moved to tackle in the spring. His quickness could be disruptive in the middle against the run and as a pass rusher.

STRONGEST AREA: The linebackers should be the strength of the defense. Senior Darryl Sharpton is a steadying influence in the middle, but he needs to make more plays. Senior Colin McCarthy is reliable, but he too often has been banged-up. If he stays healthy, McCarthy and Spence give Miami a playmaking duo on the outside. Sophomore Arthur Brown, the nation's top-ranked high school linebacker in the 2008 signing class, didn't do much as a freshman, but expectations remain high.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Miami struggled to stop the run last season (last in the ACC and 75th nationally, allowing 151.8 yards per game), and the first priority for Lovett ? and Shannon ? is to get more physical, especially up front. Bailey should emerge as a force, junior Joe Joseph is a solid run-stuffer and sophomore backup Marcus Forston has star potential. E Eric Moncur received a sixth season of eligibility because of various injuries, and he should be part of an effective end rotation. Sophomore E Marcus Robinson is undersized (6-1/242), but he has good speed off the edge and could develop into a feared pass rusher. Another problem: While Miami was seventh nationally in pass defense last season, it had just four interceptions, an embarrassingly low number for a team with this many athletes. There are four or five corners who could start, and look for coaches to lean toward the guys who show they can make things happen. The return of FS Randy Phillips, a former cornerback who missed all but two games last season, should help.

GRADE: B-plus

K/P Matt Bosher returns, and he's a weapon at both positions. He was 18-of-20 on field-goal attempts and has a strong leg; he also averaged 40.3 yards per punt, had 19 land inside the opponents' 20 and had 24 that were fair-caught. Benjamin did a great job as a punt returner last season, but only so-so as a kick returner. Look for Cooper to get first crack at the kick-return job this fall. The coverage teams were solid last season, and that should continue because of the plethora of good athletes available for special teams.

Shannon is going into just his third season, but the heat already is on, as evidenced by the two new coordinators ? Whipple on offense, Lovett on defense ? in place this season. Lovett is the third defensive coordinator in as many seasons, but that unit has had fewer problems than the offense. Former offensive coordinator Patrick Nix was criticized for being too conservative, but he didn't always have a lot of top-flight talent at his disposal. That won't be the case for Whipple, who will oversee a unit that has talent but lacks experience.

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 7[/td] [td]at Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 17[/td] [td]Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]at Virginia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]Florida A&M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 17[/td] [td]at UCF[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 24[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]at Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]at North Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 21[/td] [td]Duke[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]at South Florida[/td] [/tr][/table]

Lovett and Whipple won't have time to learn on the job. The Hurricanes' first four games are tougher than anyone's: at Florida State, vs. Georgia Tech, at Virginia Tech and vs. Oklahoma. But the schedule's definitely front-loaded, with the second half easier than the first. Still, five of the six road games this season are against teams that went to bowls last season. Miami also plays relative upstarts UCF and USF on the road; the Hurricanes have everything to lose and nothing to gain in those games. This isn't the best schedule for a coach who's feeling the heat.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

Miami has scuffled a bit the past few seasons, and all the coaching upheaval hasn't helped. The Hurricanes have talent, but for the most part, it's untested. Harris' performance is huge this season; if he struggles, the offense isn't going to do anything. Miami looks to have the skill-position talent to make things easier for Harris, but the iffy line bears watching. Defensively, Miami must get tougher ? and must make plays. Four interceptions? That can't happen again. There's enough speed on defense for UM to force 25-plus turnovers this season. The schedule is tough, though a fast start could mean Miami challenges for the division title. A more realistic goal is eight victories and a move up the ACC's bowl pecking order.

? MIKE HUGUENIN
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Jacory Harris (6-4, 190, Soph.)
Taylor Cook (6-7, 225, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Graig Cooper * (6-0, 202, Jr.)
Javarris James (6-0, 214, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Patrick Hill (5-9, 260, Sr.)
John Calhoun (6-3, 254, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Travis Benjamin (5-10, 170, Soph.)
Leonard Hankerson (6-3, 210, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Aldarius Johnson * (6-2, 205, Soph.)
Laron Byrd (6-4, 211, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Dedrick Epps * (6-4, 253, Jr.)
Richard Gordon (6-4, 270, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jason Fox * (6-7, 310, Sr.)
Jermaine Johnson (6-6, 310, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Matt Pipho (6-7, 307, Sr.)
Ben Jones (6-5, 310, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Joel Figueroa (6-5, 335, Jr.)
Harland Gunn (6-2, 313, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Orlando Franklin * (6-7, 334, Jr.)
Ian Symonette (6-9, 351, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]A.J. Trump % (6-3, 308, Sr.)
Tyler Horn (6-4, 289, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Matt Bosher * (6-0, 205, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Travis Benjamin (5-10, 170, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Eric Moncur (6-2, 255, Sr.)
Steven Wesley * (6-3, 260, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Allen Bailey (6-4, 290, Jr.)
Josh Holmes (6-0, 279, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Joe Joseph * (6-3, 302, Sr.)
Marcus Forston (6-2, 302, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Marcus Robinson (6-1, 242, Soph.)
Adewale Ojomo (6-3, 240, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Colin McCarthy (6-3, 240, Sr.)
Kylan Robinson (6-1, 235, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Darryl Sharpton * (5-11, 235, Sr.)
Arthur Brown (6-2, 223, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Sean Spence * (6-0, 211, Soph.)
Jordan Futch (6-2, 214, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Chavez Grant * (5-11, 183, Sr.)
Brandon Harris * (5-10, 185, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Ryan Hill (5-11, 205, Sr.)
DeMarcus Van **** (6-1, 177, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]JoJo Nicolas * (6-1, 197, Jr.)
Jared Campbell (6-0, 197, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Randy Phillips (6-0, 210, Sr.)
Vaughn Telemaque (6-1, 185, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Matt Bosher * (6-0, 205, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Graig Cooper (6-0, 202, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

NC State Preview

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 38 N.C. State
[/td] [td]
ncstate_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Tom O'Brien (11-14 in two seasons; 86-59 overall in 12 seasons). | Staff
In 2008: 6-7 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in Atlantic Division). Lost to Rutgers in the Papajohns.com Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 7. Defense: 7. Special teams: 1. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 58th. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 52nd in 2009, 31st in '08, 49th in '07, 54th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]

THE SCHEME: North Carolina State runs a pro-style offense that also includes read-option elements.
[table][tr][td]
RUSSELLWILSON250_1210.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Russell Wilson means as much to his team as any player in the nation.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: There wasn't a more valuable player in the ACC last year than QB Russell Wilson. As a redshirt freshman, Wilson threw 17 touchdown passes with only one interception while also rushing for 388 yards and four touchdowns. He became the first freshman quarterback to earn first-team All-ACC honors. His value to the Wolfpack was evident in the Papajohns.com Bowl. Wilson threw for 186 yards and ran for 46 yards in the first half while helping the Wolfpack take a 17-6 lead over Rutgers. After he sprained his knee late in the first half, North Carolina State's backup quarterbacks threw three interceptions as Rutgers rallied for a 29-23 victory.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: North Carolina State must break in first-year starters at both guard spots, which could allow redshirt freshmen Zach Allen and R.J. Mattes to crack the lineup. Although Allen and Mattes might not open the season as starters, they should earn ample playing time. Mattes also has the ability to play tackle, though the Wolfpack have more depth at that position. Redshirt freshman Andrew Wallace also could work into the mix at guard despite being sidelined for most of spring practice.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: North Carolina State likes to utilize the tight end in its passing attack, so sophomore TE George Bryan could be in for a big year now that he's taking over for the departed Anthony Hill. Bryan showed his big-play ability as a part-time starter last year by tying for second on the team with four touchdown catches. He scored the first touchdown in a victory over North Carolina and had a tying touchdown reception against East Carolina. After catching 18 passes for 201 yards last year, Bryan could double those totals this fall.

STRONGEST AREA: By the end of the season, North Carolina State fans might be arguing that they have two of the ACC's top quarterbacks. Wilson certainly can stake his claim as the conference's best quarterback. He's a dangerous runner who also can beat teams with his arm. Although he completed less than 55 percent of his passes last season, Wilson made up for his lack of accuracy by posting a spectacular 17-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Wilson can't afford to rest on his laurels, though, because 6-foot-6 redshirt freshman Mike Glennon ? the brother of former Virginia Tech quarterback Sean Glennon ? was ranked as the No. 59 prospect in the 2008 recruiting class after he threw for 2,557 yards and 32 touchdowns his senior year at Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The inexperience at guard is a concern. North Carolina State already had to worry about replacing 2008 starters John Bedics and Meares Green. The Wolfpack's depth at this position took an additional hit when projected starter Julian Williams missed much of spring practice with a knee injury.

THE SCHEME: North Carolina State runs a 4-3 defense.

STAR POWER: The Wolfpack potentially have two of the ACC's most dynamic defensive players in DE Willie Young and LB Nate Irving. The key word here is "potentially." Young has recorded 12? sacks and 28? tackles for loss over the past two seasons, but he has struggled with consistency throughout his career. If he plays up to his potential all season, Young could emerge as the ACC's most dangerous pass rusher. Irving recorded 84 tackles ? 12 for loss ? and four interceptions in only 10 games last year, but he broke a leg and suffered a collapsed lung in a car wreck this summer. The injury has left his status for the season uncertain.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
CLEMJOHNSON250_0706.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]N.C. State needs a breakout season from safety Clem Johnson.[/td] [/tr][/table]IMPACT NEWCOMER: Redshirt freshman LB Terrell Manning sat out the 2009 season while recovering from a knee injury he sustained his senior year at Scotland County High School in Laurinburg, N.C. Manning now seems eager to make up for lost time. Manning will spend the preseason competing for a job as the Wolfpack's strongside linebacker.
WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: North Carolina State's lack of experience at safety means someone at that position needs to have a breakthrough season. We're guessing SS Clem Johnson is the guy who makes the most of the opportunity. Johnson struggled with injuries last year in his first season since arriving from Valley Forge Military College, but he played well when he was healthy. He came back from a broken jaw to start three consecutive games before going down again with an ankle injury. If he stays healthy, Johnson could help solidify the secondary.

STRONGEST AREA: The Wolfpack should boast one of the top defensive lines in the ACC. We already mentioned the pass-rushing potential of Young, but he's just one of the Wolfpack's three returning starters on the line. DT Alan-Michael Cash is a fifth-year senior who recorded 5? tackles for loss in the final five games of the 2008 season. DE Shea McKeen isn't as dangerous as his two senior classmates, but he should provide the Wolfpack with a nice pass-rushing complement to Young.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: North Carolina State is breaking in new starters at each of the two safety positions. Considering the Wolfpack already finished last in the ACC in total defense and scoring defense a year ago, the lack of experience at safety represents a major concern.

Josh Czajkowski returns as North Carolina State's kicker after a 2008 season in which he went 16-of-19 on field-goal attempts, though he only attempted three kicks from at least 40 yards. True freshman Chris Ward could immediately establish himself as the Wolfpack's punter. Ward averaged 42 yards per punt his senior year at Starrs Mill High School in Fayetteville, Ga. T.J. Graham did a fine job returning kickoffs and punts last season. Graham scored on a 100-yard kickoff return against Boston College.

North Carolina State's record over the past two years might not reflect it, but Tom O'Brien has done a good job of making the Wolfpack competitive in the ACC again. North Carolina State has started slowly and finished fast each of his first two years on the job. That kind of improvement reflects well on a coaching staff. O'Brien also won himself plenty of brownie points across Tobacco Road last year by leading North Carolina State to an unofficial state title. The Wolfpack went undefeated against in-state opponents with victories over East Carolina, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Duke. O'Brien has benefited from continuity, as the Wolfpack's coaching staff returns intact this fall.

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 3[/td] [td]South Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 12[/td] [td]Murray State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 19[/td] [td]Gardner Webb[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]at Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]Duke[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 17[/td] [td]at Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]at Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 21[/td] [td]at Virginia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [/tr][/table]

North Carolina State's season opener with South Carolina should let us know how far the Wolfpack have come in the past year. The Wolfpack opened the 2008 season by losing 34-0 to the Gamecocks. The Wolfpack's first seven games are all very winnable. North Carolina State opens the season with a four-game homestand against South Carolina, Murray State, Gardner-Webb and Pittsburgh before traveling to Wake Forest. The Wolfpack follow that up with a home game against Duke. The schedule gets much tougher down the stretch. North Carolina State travels to Florida State and Virginia Tech and hosts Maryland, Clemson and North Carolina in its final five games.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

North Carolina State is getting plenty of preseason attention as the ACC's biggest team on the rise, but Wolfpack fans shouldn't make their bowl preparations just yet. This offense relies heavily on Wilson, who arguably was the league's most indispensable player last year. Irving means almost as much to the defense. And both players have been known to get hurt, with Irving's status for the season opener already uncertain. As long as Wilson stays healthy, this offense ought to rank among the best in the ACC. But the offense will have to be good to make up for the defense. North Carolina State allowed more points and yards per game last year than any team in the conference. If Wilson and Irving stay healthy, Young lives up to his potential and the defense gets a little better, the Wolfpack have a chance to win the Atlantic Division title. But if Wilson gets hurt and the defense continues to struggle, the Wolfpack could finish below .500 for a fourth consecutive year. But we're betting the string of losing seasons ends this year.

? STEVE MEGARGEE
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Russell Wilson* (5-11, 208, Soph.)
Mike Glennon (6-6, 211, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]HB[/td] [td]Jamelle Eugene (5-10, 195, Sr.)
Toney Baker (5-10, 225, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Taylor Gentry (6-2, 224, Soph.)
Colby Jackson (6-2, 225, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Jarvis Williams* (6-4, 205, Jr.)
Jay Smith (6-2, 197, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Owen Spencer* (6-3, 185, Jr.)
T.J. Graham (6-0, 180, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]George Bryan* (6-5, 270, Soph.)
Mario Carter (6-4, 256, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jake Vermiglio* (6-5, 315, Jr.)
Sam Jones (6-7, 295, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jeraill McCuller* (6-7, 335, Sr.)
Gary Gregory (6-4, 305, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Julian Williams (6-5, 311, Sr.)
Andrew Wallace (6-5, 282, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Andy Barbee (6-3, 310, Sr.)
Zach Allen (6-3, 320, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Ted Larsen* (6-2, 300, Sr.)
Henry Lawson (6-3, 295, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Josh Czajkowski* (5-9, 184, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]T.J. Graham (6-0, 180, Soph.)

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Shea McKeen* (6-5, 255, Sr.)
Audi Augustin (6-2, 253, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Leroy Burgess (6-1, 300, Sr.)
J.R. Sweezy (6-5, 280, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DT[/td] [td]Alan-Michael Cash* (6-1, 286, Sr.)
Nathan Mageo (6-3, 290, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Willie Young* (6-4, 250, Sr.)
Jeff Rieskamp (6-3, 235, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Audie Cole (6-5, 234, Soph.)
Terrell Manning (6-3, 220, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Ray Michel* (6-0, 229, Sr.)
Sterling Lucas (6-2, 227, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Nate Irving* (6-1, 235, Jr.)
Dwayne Maddox (6-2, 225, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Koyal George (5-11, 175, Sr.)
Gary Grant (6-0, 195, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]DeAndre Morgan* (5-10, 170, Jr.)
C.J. Wilson (5-11, 175, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Justin Byers* (6-0, 188, Soph.)
OR Jimmaul Simmons (6-2, 200, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Clem Johnson (6-0, 200, Sr.)
Earl Wolff (6-0, 190, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Jeff Ruiz (6-2, 185, Sr.)
OR Chris Ward (6-1, 175, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]T.J. Graham (6-0, 180, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

Clemson Preview

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 32 Clemson
[/td] [td]
clemson_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Dabo Swinney (4-3 in one season). | Staff
In 2008: 7-6 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in ACC Atlantic). Lost to Nebraska in the Gator Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 7. Defense: 8. Special teams: 0. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 46th. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 37th in 2009, 12th in '08, 16th in '07, 15th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]

THE SCHEME: Clemson plans to run multiple sets, with more of an emphasis on the spread than the Tigers have shown in the past.

STAR POWER: Senior RB C.J. Spiller never has run for 1,000 yards or caught as many as 35 passes in a single season, but he remains one of the nation's most explosive players. Spiller seemed poised for All-America honors and Heisman consideration after rushing for 938 yards and 10 touchdowns as a freshman, but he hasn't matched those numbers since. Now that he no longer will split carries with James Davis, Spiller just might have a season in which his production matches his potential. His career average of 6 yards per carry reflects his big-play ability. Spiller should benefit from lining up behind G Thomas Austin, who was named the ACC's offensive lineman of the week three times last season.

IMPACT NEWCOMERS: Redshirt freshman Dalton Freeman is competing with sophomore Mason Cloy ? who started at guard last season ? for the starting job at center. True freshman J.K. Jay enrolled in time for spring practice and is competing for a starting spot at right tackle. Clemson's lack of experienced receivers could allow Bryce McNeal to earn playing time as a true freshman.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Antoine McClain played sparingly as a true freshman, but he should open his sophomore season as the full-time starter at right guard. RB Jamie Harper carried the ball 34 times for 133 yards last season, but he should have a much bigger role in the backfield now that Davis has departed.

STRONGEST AREA: Clemson has plenty of talent at running back even without Davis in the lineup. Spiller is as talented as any player in the ACC on either side of the ball. Harper seems poised for a breakthrough season and should serve as an effective complement to Spiller. Clemson's line received much of the blame for the Tigers' struggles last season, but it should be one of the Tigers' biggest strengths this season. Five players who started at least seven games return. Austin, a second-team All-ACC selection last season, is one of the top linemen in the conference. That line should help Clemson run the ball effectively.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The Tigers still aren't sure who's going to throw the ball or who's going to catch it. Speedy WR Jacoby Ford is a legitimate All-ACC candidate who caught 55 passes last season, but the Tigers don't have any other proven receivers. Kyle Parker exited spring practice as the front-runner to open the season as the starting quarterback, but he still must hold off a challenge from Willy Korn. No matter who wins the job, Clemson will be resting its hopes on a first-year starter. Then again, either could be an upgrade over Cullen Harper, who followed up a splendid 2007 season with an extremely disappointing 2008 campaign. As good as Clemson's starting line looks, the Tigers are in plenty of trouble if starting LT Chris Hairston gets hurt. Clemson doesn't have a proven backup at that position.

GRADE: B-minus

THE SCHEME: Clemson runs a 4-3 defense and plans to blitz and pressure more than it did in previous seasons, when the Tigers ran more of a zone-based, read-and-react system.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
DAQUANBOWERS250_0901.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Da'Quan Bowers and the Clemson defense are an experienced group.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Senior CB Chris Chancellor is a third-year starter who has recorded four interceptions and has broken up nine passes each of the past two seasons. Chancellor comes up big in big games, as he has three career interceptions against archrival South Carolina. DeAndre McDaniel is moving into the secondary, to strong safety, after recording 77 tackles as a starting linebacker last season. He had 19 tackles and scored on a fumble return in Clemson's final two games last season.
IMPACT NEWCOMERS: It's tough to find many candidates for this category. Clemson returns so many upperclassmen that newcomers will struggle to earn playing time. DE Malliciah Goodman could get some opportunities as a backup to sophomore Da'Quan Bowers, and the lack of depth at linebacker could create some opportunities for redshirt freshman Jonathan Willard.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Rated as the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2008 recruiting class, Bowers made six starts as a true freshman and improved as the season progressed. He had three tackles behind the line of scrimmage in the Gator Bowl loss to Nebraska. Now that he's had a year to adjust to the college game, Bowers should emerge as one of the ACC's top pass rushers in his sophomore season. LB Brandon Maye won a starting job last season and recorded 87 tackles, the most by a Clemson freshman since Anthony Simmons delivered 150 stops in 1995. Maye should develop into the Tigers' best linebacker and one of their top overall defensive players this season.

STRONGEST AREA: Chancellor and Crezdon Butler give Clemson a cornerback tandem that could rank among the nation's best. The Tigers also have a wealth of experience up front, assuming E Ricky Sapp is back at full strength after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament late last season. Clemson's starting linebackers also are solid across the board; depth is the question.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The Tigers can't afford any injuries at linebacker. Maye, Kavell Conner and Scotty Cooper combined for 240 tackles last season, but Clemson doesn't have any proven backups at the position.

Clemson lost plenty of stability here following the departures of K Mark Buchholz and P Jimmy Maners. Buchholz was 88-of-88 on extra-point attempts in his career. Redshirt freshman Spencer Benton is the most likely candidate to replace Buchholz, but Richard Jackson could challenge him. New P Dawson Zimmerman has some college experience. He "started" two games last season and averaged 38.5 yard per attempt, but a pulled hamstring bothered him for much of the season. Spiller and Ford give Clemson two of the nation's most dangerous return men. The unsettled kicking and punting situations merit a "C," but Clemson's exceptional return game brings the entire special-teams grade up a letter.

Dabo Swinney won plenty of fans last year by rescuing the season after a slow start resulted in predecessor Tommy Bowden's departure. Clemson seemed in danger of missing out on a bowl bid before the Tigers regrouped under Swinney in a late-season surge that culminated with a surprisingly easy victory over South Carolina. But it remains that Swinney had no head-coaching experience before taking over this job midway through the 2008 season. Only time will tell if the Tigers eventually will regret hiring a more proven commodity, such as Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson, a Clemson alum. Swinney should benefit from the presence of a veteran staff that features new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who won plenty of praise for his work at Alabama and Florida State. The new offensive coordinator is Billy Napier, the Tigers' former tight ends coach.

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 5[/td] [td]Middle Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 10[/td] [td]at Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 19[/td] [td]Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]TCU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]at Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 17[/td] [td]Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 24[/td] [td]at Miami (FL)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]Coastal Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]at N.C. State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 21[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]at South Carolina[/td] [/tr][/table]

Clemson won't get a chance to ease into ACC competition. The Tigers' conference opener comes Sept. 10 at Georgia Tech, the team considered the most likely challenger to Virginia Tech's two-year reign as conference champion. The Tigers' ACC schedule is otherwise rather favorable. Clemson's other conference road games come against Maryland, Miami and North Carolina State. Clemson won't have to play Virginia Tech or North Carolina unless it meets one in the ACC championship game. The Tigers also face two-time defending Atlantic Division champion and likely preseason Atlantic Division favorite Florida State at home. The Tigers must travel to South Carolina for the regular-season finale and also have a challenging non-conference home game against TCU. The other non-conference home games come against Football Championship Subdivision member Coastal Carolina and Sun Belt program Middle Tennessee, which upset Maryland last season.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

Last season, Clemson was the ACC's biggest surprise for all the wrong reasons. The overwhelming preseason pick to win the conference, the Tigers instead dropped three of their first four league games and almost didn't qualify for a bowl game. One year later, the Tigers could offer an entirely different kind of surprise. Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the ACC teams garnering most of the preseason attention, but Clemson has the capability to challenge for the conference title that has eluded the Tigers since 1991, the year before Florida State joined the league. Clemson's passing game has plenty of question marks, but the Tigers boast an exceptional defense, a veteran offensive line and arguably the league's most dynamic player in Spiller. The offense seems too talented to struggle as much as it did last season, when the Tigers ranked 87th in the nation in total offense. The defense should be every bit as good as the unit that ranked in the top 20 last season in points and yards allowed. If Swinney avoids making a newcomer's mistakes in his first full season and Parker or Korn plays as well as Harper did in 2007, Clemson could capture its first ACC championship game berth. The more likely scenario is that the Tigers finish second in the Atlantic Division, land a second-tier bowl bid and win eight games.

? STEVE MEGARGEE
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Kyle Parker (6-0, 210, R-Fr.)
Willy Korn (6-2, 220, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]C.J. Spiller (5-11, 195, Sr.)
Jamie Harper 5-11, 220, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Terrance Ashe (6-2, 190, Jr.)
Jaron Brown (6-2, 190, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Xavier Dye (6-5, 210, Jr.)
Brandon Clear (6-5, 205, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Jacoby Ford* (5-10, 185, Sr.)
Marquan Jones (5-11, 185, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Michael Palmer* (6-5, 250, Sr.)
Dwayne Allen (6-3, 245, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Chris Hairston* (6-6, 320, Jr.)
Jamarcus Grant (6-4, 315, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Landon Walker* (6-5, 300, Soph.)
Cory Lambert* (6-6, 310, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Thomas Austin* (6-3, 315, Sr.)
Wilson Norris (6-4, 310, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Antoine McClain (6-5, 305, Soph.)
David Smith (6-5, 290, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Mason Cloy% (6-3, 310, Soph.)
Dalton Freeman (6-4, 270, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Spencer Benton (6-1, 190, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Jacoby Ford (5-10, 185, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Da'Quan Bowers (6-4, 275, Soph.)
Andre Branch (6-5, 250, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jarvis Jenkins* (6-4, 305, Jr.)
Jamie Cumbie (6-7, 270, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Brandon Thompson (6-2, 315, Soph.)
Miguel Chavis (6-5, 280, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Ricky Sapp* (6-4, 240, Sr.)
Kevin Alexander* (6-3, 255, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Kavell Conner* (6-1, 225, Sr.)
Jonathan Willard (6-1, 215, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Scotty Cooper (6-1, 215, Jr.)
Daniel Andrews (5-11, 190, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Brandon Maye* (6-2, 225, Soph.)
Jeremy Campbell (6-1, 220, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Crezdon Butler* (6-0, 185, Sr.)
Byron Maxwell (6-1, 200, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Chris Chancellor* (5-10, 165, Sr.)
Marcus Gilchrist (5-11, 185, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Sadat Chambers (5-11, 190, Sr.)
Rashard Hall (6-1, 190, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]DeAndre McDaniel% (6-1, 200, Jr.)
Carlton Lewis (6-2, 200, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Dawson Zimmerman (6-1, 200, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]C.J. Spiller (5-11, 195, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

UNC Preview

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 28 North Carolina
[/td] [td]
northcarolina_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Butch Davis (12-13 in two seasons at North Carolina; 63-33 overall in eight seasons). | Staff
In 2008: 8-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC (tied for third in ACC Coastal). Lost to West Virginia in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 4. Defense: 9. Special teams: 1. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 31st. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 9th in 2009, 32nd in '08, 17th in '07, 30th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]

THE SCHEME: North Carolina runs a pro-style offense that typically features one-back sets.
[table][tr][td]
TJYATES250_0715.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T.J. Yates has star potential but must stay healthy.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Junior QB T.J. Yates has struggled with injuries throughout his career, but he has shown star potential when healthy. Yates was leading the ACC and was ranked 12th in the nation in passing efficiency early last season before he sat out five games with a fractured left ankle. Yates ended up throwing for 1,168 yards and 11 touchdowns with just four interceptions despite making only six starts. Yates might not be quite as effective this season because he's throwing to an inexperienced receiving corps, but he still could challenge for All-ACC honors if he plays the entire season.
IMPACT NEWCOMERS: UNC's lack of proven wide receivers should create an immediate opportunity for true freshman Jheranie Boyd, the No. 3 receiver and No. 48 overall prospect nationally in the 2009 recruiting class. Boyd's big-play ability gives him more upside than most of his teammates. Fellow true freshman Joshua Adams enrolled early, but Boyd's skills bear watching. Redshirt freshman Jonathan Cooper also has an excellent chance to open the season as a starter at guard because Aaron Stahl elected to forego his final year of eligibility after graduating in May.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: We'll continue to focus on the receivers by turning our attention to sophomore Dwight Jones, a former five-star prospect. Jones had no receptions last season because North Carolina already had so many talented receivers (Hakeem Nicks, Brandon Tate, Brooks Foster, etc.). All those guys are gone, leaving Greg Little as the only returning wide receiver who caught a pass last season. Don't be surprised if Jones wins the wide-open competition for a starting job.

STRONGEST AREA: The Tar Heels might not know who's going to catch the ball, but they have plenty of confidence in the guy making the throws. As long as Yates can stay healthy, he should rank among the ACC's best quarterbacks. Yates also should feel confident in his protection. LT Kyle Jolly is a third-year starter who should compete for all-conference honors.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: After having one of the best receiving units in the nation last season, North Carolina must rely on plenty of unproven performers to step up this season. Little, the only wide receiver to catch a pass last season, only had 11 receptions and actually started the season at tailback. The Heels recruited well at this position and have plenty of talented candidates, but they can't be sure about any of them.

GRADE: C-plus

THE SCHEME: The Heels use a traditional 4-3 scheme.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
QUANSTURDIVANT250_0715G.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Quan Sturdivant will move to middle linebacker this season.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Junior LB Quan Sturdivant led the nation with 87 solo tackles last season. He scored on a 32-yard interception return to spark North Carolina's come-from-behind victory over Notre Dame. Sturdivant moves from weakside linebacker to the middle this season. CB Kendric Burney earned second-team All-ACC honors last season. His three interceptions and 78 tackles last season show he's a solid pass defender who also can help stop the run.
IMPACT NEWCOMERS: North Carolina has so much experience on defense that it leaves little room for freshmen on the depth chart, but E Donte Moss could be an exception. Moss, a five-star prospect, was the No. 16 overall recruit in the 2009 recruiting class. Moss had 28 sacks as a senior at Northside High in Jacksonville, N.C.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: North Carolina's scheme typically allows the weakside linebacker to lead the team in tackles. That's good news for sophomore Zach Brown, who moves to that position this season as Sturdivant shifts to the middle. Brown (6-2/220) may be the fastest player on the team regardless of position, and he seems poised for a breakout season.

STRONGEST AREA: UNC has plenty of experience on defense, particularly in the front seven. The line features four returning starters in E.J. Wilson, Marvin Austin, Cam Thomas and Robert Quinn. The linebacking corps returns Sturdivant and Bruce Carter, who combined for 190 tackles last season. Depth looks good, too.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The Tar Heels must do a better job of rushing the passer. UNC was 11th in the 12-team ACC in sacks last season, with just 22. North Carolina State's Russell Wilson and West Virginia's Pat White exposed the Tar Heels' inability to apply pressure while leading their teams to victories over North Carolina late in the season.

Jay Wooten's decision to transfer makes Casey Barth the clear-cut choice as the Tar Heels' kicker. Wooten started the 2008 season as the kicker before giving way to Barth, who went 10-of-15 on field-goal attempts. Barth's season-long kick last year was only 42 yards, but he did go 3-for-5 from at least 40 yards. Grant Schallock performed well this spring and should open the season as the punter, though true freshman C.J. Feagles ? whose dad, Jeff, is a longtime NFL punter ? could challenge for the job. The coverage units were solid last season, especially the kickoff group, and should be so again. UNC's best special-teams weapon might be Carter, who led the nation with five blocked kicks last season.

Butch Davis built Miami into a national title contender earlier in his career and has wasted little time making North Carolina competitive again in the ACC. His staff recruits as well as any in the conference, and his ability to attract talent started paying off on the field last season. Davis made quite a few changes to his staff in the offseason. The new linebackers coach is Art Kaufman, a 25-year veteran who spent last season as Southern Miss' defensive line coach. Kaufman replaces Tommy Thigpen, who joined Gene Chizik's staff at Auburn. Troy Douglas came over from USF as the new secondary coach after John Lovett left to become Miami's defensive coordinator. North Carolina alum and former Buffalo assistant Allen Mogridge returned to his alma mater as tight ends coach after the Cleveland Browns hired away Steve Hagen.

GRADE: A-minus

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 5[/td] [td]The Citadel[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 12[/td] [td]at Connecticut[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 19[/td] [td]East Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]at Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]Georgia Southern[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 22[/td] [td]Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 29[/td] [td]at Virginia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]Duke[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]Miami[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 21[/td] [td]at Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]at N.C. State[/td] [/tr][/table]

North Carolina's non-conference schedule includes two Football Championship Subdivision programs (The Citadel and Georgia Southern), but it also has two potentially tricky games at Connecticut and at home against defending Conference USA champion East Carolina. North Carolina's ACC schedule won't help the Tar Heels' chances of winning the Coastal Division. The two teams most likely to finish ahead of North Carolina in the Coastal ? Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech ? get the Tar Heels at home. UNC also has a home game with Florida State, the preseason favorite in the Atlantic Division.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

North Carolina seemed ready to play for an ACC title midway through last season in Davis' second year on the job, but stumbled down the stretch with three losses in its last four games. The Tar Heels could be better this season, but so is the rest of the Coastal Division. North Carolina needs Yates to stay healthy and must get breakthrough seasons from at least a couple of receivers. The Tar Heels might be good enough to win the Atlantic Division, but they instead have to fight it out with Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami in the Coastal. That's the main reason they're probably a year away from making a serious run at the ACC championship.

? STEVE MEGARGEE
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]T.J. Yates (6-4, 220, Jr.)
Mike Paulus (6-5, 215, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TB[/td] [td]Shaun Draughn (6-0, 205, Jr.)
Ryan Houston (6-2, 250, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Bobby Rome (5-11, 245, Sr.)
Anthony Elzy (5-10, 205, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Dwight Jones (6-4, 220, Soph.)
Joshua Adams (6-4, 200, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Greg Little* (6-3, 220, Jr.)
Todd Harrelson (6-2, 190, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Zack Pianalto (6-4, 250, Jr.)
Ed Barham (6-3, 265, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Mike Ingersoll (6-5, 300, Jr.)
Kevin Bryant (6-7, 350, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Kyle Jolly* (6-6, 300, Sr.)
Carl Gaskins (6-5, 295, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Alan Pelc* (6-6, 325, Jr.)
Kevin Bryant (6-7, 350, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Jonathan Cooper (6-3, 295, R-Fr.) OR
Greg Elleby (6-5, 290, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Lowell Dyer* (6-4, 290, Sr.)
Cam Holland (6-2, 300, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Casey Barth* (5-11, 170, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Kendric Burney (5-9, 185, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Robert Quinn* (6-5, 260, Soph.)
Michael McAdoo (6-7, 245, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Marvin Austin* (6-3, 300, Jr.)
Tydreke Powell (6-3, 300, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Cam Thomas* (6-4, 330, Sr.)
Aleric Mullins (6-3, 300, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]E.J. Wilson* (6-2, 280, Sr.)
Quinton Coples (6-6, 245, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Zach Brown (6-2, 220, Soph.)
Herman Davidson (6-2, 215, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Bruce Carter* (6-3, 230, Jr.)
Dion Guy (6-4, 225, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Quan Sturdivant* (6-2, 235, Jr.)
Kennedy Tinsley (6-0, 220, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Kendric Burney* (5-9, 185, Jr.)
LeCount Fantroy (5-11, 190, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Jordan Hemby* (5-10, 185, Sr.)
Charles Brown (5-10, 190, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Deunta Williams* (6-2, 205, Jr.)
Matt Merletti (5-11, 200, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Da'Norris Searcy (6-0, 200, Jr.)
Melvin Williams (6-0, 195, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Grant Schallock (6-7, 225, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Johnny White (5-10, 205, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

FSU Preview

Spoiler [+]
[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 23 Florida State
[/td] [td]
floridastate_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Bobby Bowden (309-91-4 in 33 seasons at Florida State; 382-123-4 in 43 seasons overall. Records include 14 wins vacated by NCAA. FSU is appealing decision). | Staff
In 2008: 9-4 overall, 5-3 in ACC (tied for first in ACC Atlantic). Beat Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 8. Defense: 4. Special teams: 0. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 21st. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 7th in 2009, 9th in '08, 21st in '07, 3rd in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]

THE SCHEME: Florida State incorporates elements of the pro-style attack and the spread in its offense.
[table][tr][td]
CHRISTIANPONDER250_0917.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Christian Ponder has a lot to work on this season.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Junior Rodney Hudson could go down as one of the best guards in school history by the time he finishes his career. Last season, Hudson was named the ACC offensive lineman of the week three times, more than anyone else. He also earned first-team All-ACC honors and heads into his junior season as a legitimate All-America candidate. Hudson posted a team-high 64 knockdowns last season and received the best or second-best grades of any lineman on the team in nine of FSU's 13 games.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Junior RB Tavares Pressley technically isn't a newcomer, but he still hasn't played a down in a Seminoles uniform. Pressley, a transfer from El Camino (Calif.) Community College, arrived at Florida State last season amid high expectations, but he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and didn't play. He is expected to return this season and could develop into a big part of FSU's resurgent rushing attack. Pressley probably won't be the No. 1 tailback, but Florida State coordinator Jimbo Fisher likes to have multiple backs share carries.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Sophomore RB Jermaine Thomas backed up the departed Antone Smith as a true freshman last season and rushed for 482 yards while averaging 7.0 yards per carry. The only Florida State running backs ever to average more yards per carry as true freshmen were Sean Jackson and Warrick Dunn. FSU fans would love to see Thomas enjoy the same kind of sustained success as those two former Seminoles.

STRONGEST AREA: This time a year ago, the line was seen as the unit holding Florida State back from serious ACC title contention. Now the Seminoles boast arguably the best line in the conference. FSU posted its best rushing statistics since 2000 despite starting three true freshmen on the line. The performance was a testament to Rick Trickett's skills as a line coach. If he could work that kind of magic with so many freshmen, imagine what he can do with a line that returns all five starters. Hudson is the star, and C Ryan McMahon also has a chance at all-league honors. Depth is a bit iffy, though.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Who's going to catch the ball? The Seminoles' most proven receiver is Taiwan Easterling, who missed spring practice after rupturing his Achilles during an offseason workout. After that, there's nothing but question marks. Florida State has plenty of talented receiving candidates, but they haven't delivered on Saturdays. A few instead were suspended at various times last season and have gotten into scrapes with the law. That's the problem with this unit: So far, these guys have wreaked more havoc off the field than on it. Bert Reed, Rod Owens, Jarmon Fortson and Richard Goodman are the other top candidates. QB Christian Ponder threw 14 TD passes and 13 interceptions last season. Six of those TD passes came in the first two games, against Football Championship Subdivision opponents, so he and his receivers have a lot to prove.

THE SCHEME: Florida State runs a 4-3 defense.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
0700-FSUPATROBINSON_250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Patrick Robinson had an outstanding spring.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: Senior CB Patrick Robinson has seven career interceptions. Although he picked off just one pass last season, Robinson followed that up with an exceptional spring performance. If he builds on the momentum he established this spring, Robinson could emerge as one of the nation's top cover corners this fall. Of course, that assumes somebody will actually throw the ball in his direction. Robinson is the only proven cornerback on the roster, so opposing quarterbacks likely will try to avoid his side of the field. Robinson is the only returning starter in the secondary, and it's extremely likely true freshmen see time at safety.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: True freshman T Jacobbi McDaniel arrives on campus as the No. 15 overall prospect in the nation. The 6-foot McDaniel is shorter than the typical defensive tackle, but it's hard to argue with his production. McDaniel had 22 sacks in his last two seasons at powerhouse Madison (Fla.) Madison County High. Don't be surprised if he earns immediate playing time.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Florida State needs to find a pass rusher now that E Everette Brown has moved on to the NFL. The best candidate to fill the void is junior E Markus White, who backed up Brown last season. White recorded 24.5 sacks and forced six fumbles for Butler (Kan.) Community College in 2007, but he delivered just one sack in his first season at Florida State. Then again, it's not as though he was overmatched. White didn't start last season, yet he still recorded 29 tackles to tie for seventh on the team. Maybe a bigger role will allow him to unleash his pass-rushing potential.

STRONGEST AREA: FSU has the potential for an outstanding crew of linebackers. Dekoda Watson sat out spring practice to recover from elbow surgery, but he has delivered eight tackles for loss in each of the past two seasons. Kendall Smith, a first-year starter at middle linebacker, looked exceptional in spring practice. Sophomore Nigel Bradham is a former five-star prospect who figures to make the most of his first season as a starter. This is a young and physically impressive group, and performing on the field is the next step.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Brown had 13.5 sacks last season, but nobody on the 2009 roster had more than four sacks a year ago. The Seminoles must find someone to pressure the quarterback now that Brown has departed. If White falters, it seems doubtful that another end on the roster can provide the needed push from the outside, which would force a lot of blitzes. The tackles need to become more productive, as well. A playmaker in the middle of the line needs to emerge, and it could be McDaniel.

Don't overlook the departure of Lou Groza Award winner Graham Gano. No special teams performer meant more to his team last season. Gano went 24-of-26 on field-goal attempts last season ? including 5-for-7 from at least 50 yards ? and also averaged 42.7 yards per punt. Florida State probably will hand the kicking duties to true freshman Dustin Hopkins. Hopkins was the top-rated kicker in the 2009 recruiting class, but you never know how a freshman will adjust to the pressures of big-time college football. The likely punter is Shawn Powell, who averaged 41.1 yards on 18 attempts last season. The Seminoles will miss kick returner Michael Ray Garvin, who averaged 30.1 yards per attempt last season. Reed saw some action as a punt returner last season and could have all the return duties this season. The coverage units were solid in 2008.

The effects of the staff changes Bobby Bowden made before the 2007 season became more evident last season. Fisher took a calculated risk last year by handing the quarterback job to Ponder over incumbent Drew Weatherford. The move should pay dividends this season, assuming Ponder learned from the mistakes he made as a first-year starter and reduces his interception total. The big difference with the new staff is that FSU has started running the ball better, which is a tribute to the work Trickett has done with the offensive line. The media speculation over exactly when Fisher will take over as coach could cause some distractions this season, particularly if FSU doesn't get off to a fast start.

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 7[/td] [td]Miami (FL)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 12[/td] [td]Jacksonville State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 19[/td] [td]at Brigham Young[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]South Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]at Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]Georgia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 22[/td] [td]at North Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]North Carolina State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]at Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]at Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 21[/td] [td]Maryland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]at Florida[/td] [/tr][/table]

Florida State received plenty of criticism last year for opening the season with two FCS programs, but nobody can gripe about the Seminoles' 2009 schedule. Florida State does have one FCS opponent (Jacksonville State), but the Seminoles play host to USF and travel to BYU and Florida in their other three non-conference games. Miami undoubtedly will be much more of a season-opening test than Western Carolina, a team the Seminoles drubbed 69-0 to start the 2008 campaign. Back-to-back trips to Clemson and Wake Forest in November could determine whether the Seminoles win the Atlantic Division. FSU won't play two-time defending ACC champion Virginia Tech unless they meet in the conference title game.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

Slowly but surely, FSU seems headed back in the right direction. But the Seminoles' record this season might not reflect their progress. The schedule is so much tougher this season that they could have a better team but a worse record. Ponder needs to develop into a better passer, and the Seminoles must hope they have adequate replacements for Brown on defense and for Gano on special teams. The Seminoles have too many holes on their depth chart and too many potential pitfalls on their schedule to earn a BCS bid this season. Florida State probably is good enough to win the Atlantic Division, but the Seminoles don't appear as strong as Coastal Division contenders Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech. Expect to see the Seminoles in either the Chick-fil-A Bowl or the Gator Bowl after they lose in the ACC championship game.

? STEVE MEGARGEE
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Christian Ponder* (6-3, 219, Jr.)
E.J. Manuel (6-4, 225, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TB[/td] [td]Jermaine Thomas (6-1, 190, Soph.)
Ty Jones (5-11, 203, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FB[/td] [td]Seddrick Holloway (5-10, 265, Sr.)
Matt Dunham (6-2, 255, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Taiwan Easterling* (5-11, 187, Soph.)
Richard Goodman (6-0, 190, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Bert Reed (5-11, 165, Soph.)
Jarmon Fortson (6-3, 231, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Caz Piurowski* (6-7, 267, Sr.)
Ja'Baris Little (6-4, 226, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Andrew Datko* (6-6, 291, Soph.)
Rhonne Sanderson (6-4, 272, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Zebrie Sanders* (6-5, 287, Soph.)
Antwane Greenlee (6-6, 295, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Rodney Hudson* (6-2, 283, Jr.)
Rhonne Sanderson (6-4, 272, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]David Spurlock* (6-5, 287, Soph.)
Brandon Davis (6-2, 281, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Ryan McMahon* (6-3, 282, Jr.)
A.J. Ganguzza (6-3, 270, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Dustin Hopkins (6-2, 174, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Bert Reed (5-11, 165, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Kevin McNeil (6-2, 257, Sr.)
Toshmon Stevens (6-5, 225, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Budd Thacker* (6-2, 278, Sr.)
Kendrick Stewart* (6-2, 275, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Moses McCray (6-2, 291, Soph.)
Justin Mincey (6-5, 262, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Markus White (6-4, 258, Jr.)
Brandon Jenkins (6-2, 233, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Nigel Bradham (6-2, 241, Soph.)
Maurice Harris (6-0, 210, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Kendall Smith (6-1, 230, Jr.)
Vince Williams (6-0, 247, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Dekoda Watson* (6-2, 228, Sr.)
Nigel Carr (6-3, 220, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Ochuko Jenije (5-10, 191, Jr.)
Dionte Allen (5-11, 175, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Patrick Robinson* (5-11, 193, Sr.)
A.J. Alexander (5-11, 180, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Jamie Robinson (6-2, 186, Sr.)
Terrance Parks (6-1, 213, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Korey Mangum (6-0, 200, Sr.)
Nick Moody (6-1, 227, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Shawn Powell (6-5, 212, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Bert Reed (5-11, 165, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

I hope Dominick Legrande gets some Burn at BC. Dude gonna be a crazy sleeper
supposedly he's in line to fill in for Herzlich. Hope its not too much pressure tho he's a NYC kid too
If so
pimp.gif

I think our front 7 will be the best in the conference this year. Our LBs are going to be all over the field and its rumored that we will be doing moreblitzing this year.

Spoiler [+]
Linebackers on Speed
Brown
Brown

By Greg Barnes
Inside Carolina
Posted Jul 26, 2009

GREENSBORO, N.C. - Each football offseason seems to bring about tales of some mythical occurrence, whether it be a true freshman that's turned heads in 7-on-7 or a weight-lifting record shattered with a Herculean effort. For the UNC program, that topic of conversation has revolved around linebacker Zach Brown's 4.26 40.

While that time may be impossible for most to believe, the entire North Carolina football squad was in attendance during the Tar Heels' strength and conditioning timing day back in the spring. Starting quarterback T.J. Yates was standing beside the assistant coach in charge of timing the 40-yard dashes.

"The first time he ran it, nobody believed it," Yates told reporters during Sunday's ACC Football Kickoff at Grandover Resort. "We were like, 'Does that really say a 4.28?' And then he got all of the coaches to come down and time him, and then he ran like a 4.26. Our whole team was out here, and all of the coaches, and everybody just erupted. Everybody was in disbelief… That's insane."

Defensive end E.J. Wilson had just finished his 40-yard dash less than 10 minutes earlier, putting down an impressive 4.73 of his own.

"The first time he ran, we were like, 'Yeah, Zach's kind of moving fast,'" Wilson said. "But we didn't expect a 4.2. Then we saw the clock. Then all of the coaches had their own clock and everybody had 4.2 except for one coach, and he had a 4.3 flat."

Six stopwatches were present for Brown's second attempt. Adding even more humor to the time is the fact that his form was not boasting of perfection.

"He could still critique his 40 time," Yates said. "He kind of started off to the left a little bit and then he straightened it back up. He could definitely get it down a little bit more… He's just raw power and speed."

Not bad for a 6-foot-2 sophomore linebacker that checks in at 230 pounds and benches 380 pounds. Wilson indicated that Brown is also one of the strongest pound-for-pound athletes in the program, prompting this comment from the fifth-year senior - "He's just a freak of nature."

Brown also dominated an offseason training competition, winning an estimated 10 different events that ranged from sprinting to dragging sleds 100 yards.

Granted, the Tar Heels were timed on a Mondo track surface, which is estimated to be worth five-hundredths of a second to one-tenth of a second faster than other surfaces, but Brown's speed in conjunction with that of fellow starting linebackers Bruce Carter (4.46) and Quan Sturdivant (4.43) has the makings of what ESPN tabbed as "arguably the fastest linebacking trio in the country."

"I haven't seen a group of linebackers this fast since I've really been following college football," Wilson said. "All of our linebackers run a 4.4 and one of them runs a 4.2? That's unheard of."

Carter, Sturdivant
Yates echoed those sentiments, saying, "Those linebackers over there are some of the fastest that I've ever seen… They can run. The things that might have worked in the past - our old slide naked or a running back running out the other side - they'll hawk them down like it's nothing. They've got the speed and they're getting a lot smarter."

Brown will likely take over at weakside linebacker, as Sturdivant slid over to middle linebacker upon Mark Paschal's graduation. The junior from Oakboro, N.C. led the nation with 87 unassisted tackles in '08, and is expected to earn preseason All-ACC honors this week in Greensboro.

"Quan goes to the ball with a purpose," Wilson said. "He'll let you know he's coming. He has no problem with contact - he actually likes it. And one thing people don't know about Quan is that he's actually one of the smartest football players on the team, along with Bruce [Carter]."

Carter (68 tackles, five sacks) remains bunkered down in his strongside linebacker position, having a resume of supernatural accomplishments that rivals Brown's - how does a school record 40.5-inch vertical jump sound?

"Bruce was more quiet when he first got here, more reserved, but he's coming out of his shell," Wilson said. "He's starting to be a vocal leader, which is something that's really going to help this defense."

Not getting any media attention is a bevy of young talent in the linebacker corps, from Ebele Okakpu to Dion Guy to Linwan Euwell, as well as others.

"There are a lot of guys that are sitting on the bench that probably could be starting for any team in the country," Wilson said. "I think those guys are really going to help us, as far as coming in and giving Quan and Bruce and Zach a blow. And we also have Kevin Reddick - it's going to be a good battle in training camp between Kevin Reddick and Zach Brown to see who wins that starting position."

Speed kills, but only if it's going in the right direction. Sturdivant and Carter have proven that they can harness their velocity in a productive manner. Opposing programs are hoping that Brown and Co. have a little more difficulty in achieving that end goal.

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22. That game followed by a game against VPI the following Thursdaywill be huge for us.

I think we go 9-3, but I could also see us winning/losing one more game.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22.
pimp.gif

You tailgating?

'Cause I'm damn sure gonna be out there. Charlie Ward jersey in tow.

Back
Top Bottom