Originally Posted by LifeLessons

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
ACC has THE worst WRs in the country

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I didnt even see Ga Tech play every game and I saw D. Thomas drop at least 12 passes .
smh.gif

except Miami....our rotation is nice....
***Donald Faison Clueless Laugh***

laugh.gif
its koo...you always throwing them shots at Miami.....what i would do to see a UT vs UM match in the Peach Bowl...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

The drunk FSU fans are horrible. Only place I've been with worse fans is Byrd stadium in MD when some old white dude tried to fight me. For GT fans the game is just a social event. Half of them are on their blackberries whole game.
The only thing the FSU fans take more seriously than football on Saturdays, is drinking on Saturdays.

Night games are the worst, because all the students still start drinking at like 2...I have friends who can't even make it to the game sometimes.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22.
pimp.gif

You tailgating?

'Cause I'm damn sure gonna be out there. Charlie Ward jersey in tow.
How did I miss this thread
laugh.gif

We should all meet up before or some $@@! like that. Juicy do you go to UNC?

laugh.gif
ACC has THE worst WRs in the country

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I didnt even see Ga Tech play every game and I saw D. Thomas drop at least 12 passes .
smh.gif

except Miami....our rotation is nice....
***Donald Faison Clueless Laugh***
laugh.gif
I swear this discussion about Miami's WR's already took place.

It doesnt change the fact that UM has the best WR core in the ACC...I know its not saying much but its the truth...

Originally Posted by lowslows

It doesnt change the fact that UM has the best WR core in the ACC...I know its not saying much but its the truth...

preach...you know randy is shortening it up to 5 receivers this year....who ever is below that mark would be a top 3 receiver at any other school in theconference

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22.
pimp.gif

You tailgating?

'Cause I'm damn sure gonna be out there. Charlie Ward jersey in tow.
How did I miss this thread
laugh.gif

We should all meet up before or some $@@! like that. Juicy do you go to UNC?
Not anymore. I just graduated in May. But I'm most definitely going to everyone home football game we have this year.

I'd be down for some bojangles and beers for a little bit before the game. With this being our first Thursday night game in CH, I'd imagine the stadiumwill be filling up like 30-45 mins before kickoff.

I like our young receiving. between Byrd, Johnson, Streeter and Benjamin, we'll be set for atleast another 2 seasons. People can say what theywant, but the season is right around the corner. Let's get it
pimp.gif

preach...you know randy is shortening it up to 5 receivers this year....who ever is below that mark would be a top 3 receiver at any other school in the conference
You serious?

Come on, lets be serious here.

Jesus Christ.

October will decide December in the ACC Coastal

July 31, 2009 2:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

ACC fans won't have to wait long to find out who's got the edge in the Coastal Division this year, but the race won't be wrapped up in September, despite three key games that will have an immediate impact on the division standings.

You'll have to wait until October.

That's the month the Coastal Division will be decided -- and Miami doesn't even play one divisional game in October.

September is all about Georgia Tech and Miami. The Canes will head into November having played Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. If they lose one or both of those games, their hopes at winning a tiebreaker situation will be shot. The same can be said for Georgia Tech, which can't afford to lose to Miami and UNC. The Jackets are all-too familiar with losing the tiebreaker situation after last year's loss to Virginia Tech. It does come back to haunt you.

Neither Georgia Tech nor Miami can afford to start September 0-2. The only way I see this playing out into late November like it did last season is if Miami starts September 2-0 against its Coastal Division opponents, and considering what happened last year to the Canes against Paul Johnson's offense, there's not exactly a lot of faith that this year will be much different defensively. And Miami will be playing in Lane Stadium, which isn't exactly going to be rolling out the welcome mat. The best thing Miami has going for it in September is the bye week heading into the Georgia Tech game.

Now, Miami and Georgia Tech might seal their fates in September, but hold off any Hokie celebrations just yet.

The game that will define the season will be played on Oct. 17, when Virginia Tech travels to Georgia Tech. The Jackets lost by three points last year, and outgained the Hokies on the ground. Sure, UNC has a chance to dethrone the Hokies on Oct. 29, and it should be a great game, but Virginia Tech will be coming off a bye week and will have home-field advantage against the Heels.

Bottom line: September is the month for Miami to show what it's made of. October is the month Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and North Carolina will establish the pecking order. November is the month for Duke to play spoiler, and for Miami to salvage the season with a 3-0 record against the Coastal Division. December is the month it all pays off.

Check out how the Coastal Division schedule shakes out:

SEPTEMBER
Georgia Tech vs. Miami (Sept. 17)
Georgia Tech vs. UNC (Sept. 26)
Miami vs. Virginia Tech (Sept. 26)

OCTOBER
Duke vs. Virginia Tech (Oct. 3)
UNC vs. UVA (Oct. 3)
Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech (Oct. 17)
Georgia Tech vs. UVA (Oct. 24)
UNC vs. Virginia Tech (Oct. 29)
Duke vs. UVA (Oct. 31)

NOVEMBER
Duke vs. UNC (Nov. 7)
Miami vs. UVA (Nov. 7)
Duke vs. Georgia Tech (Nov. 14)
Miami vs. UNC (Nov. 14)
Duke vs. Miami (Nov. 21)
Virginia Tech vs. Virginia (Nov. 28)

Duke Blue Devils, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Miami Hurricanes, North Carolina Tar Heels, Virginia Cavaliers, Virginia Tech Hokies, Coastal Division

Read comments or leave a comment

ACC's lunchtime links

July 31, 2009 12:30 PM

ACC football officially begins this weekend when players report in Raleigh and Atlanta, so TGIF ...
  • Former Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson signed a four-year deal with Cincinnati.�He's just one of three players the Jackets will be missing up front this year. He's not the only former ACC superstar who just got richer.
  • Former Maryland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey signed a contract with the Raiders that will guarantee him at least $23.5 million. I need to learn how to catch the football better.
  • Is the ACC getting offensive? You bet.
  • Jerry Ratcliffe says there are a few reasons for Virginia to be optimistic about this season.
  • Miami senior cornerback Chavez Grant has the pedigree, but he wants to create his own legacy.
  • Duke running back Requan Boyette could give the Blue Devils' running game the boost coach David Cutcliffe is looking for.
  • The Demon Deacons picked up an offensive tackle this week.
  • There's an injury trend at Maryland that doesn't bode well for this season if "stabilizer" Chris Turner becomes the latest in a long line of quarterbacks to get hurt.

Maryland Terrapins, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, Duke Blue Devils, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Miami Hurricanes, Virginia Cavaliers, Michael Johnson, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Chavez Grant, Requan Boyette, David Cutcliffe, Chris Turner

ACC mailblog

July 31, 2009 10:45 AM

Ross in Greensboro, N.C. writes: heather can you clarify how many games duke would have to win for bowl eligibility,, i thought i read somewhere that cutcliffe said they had to have 7? thanks

Heather Dinich: Sure, Ross. The Blue Devils needs seven because they've got two FCS schools (NC Central and Richmond) on their schedule. Only one of those counts toward bowl eligibility.

Alex in Miami, Fla., writes: Hey HD...how was your overall ACC media day experience in comparison to last year? Did anyone try to interview you this year?

HD: It was well-run and busy, and no, none of the players interviewed me like Drew Weatherford did last year. Instead, Christian Ponder and Dekoda Watson took one of those gigantic C.J. Spiller posters and one of them hid behind it while the other "interviewed" C.J. Needless to say, both of the Noles left Greensboro with Spiller for Heisman posters.

Ben in Virginia Beach, Va. writes: I'm a Big Ten fan out of place in ACC country, but you make the coverage almost bearable! Keep up the good work.P.S. I'll set the over/under for GA Tech's avg. rushing yards per game this season at 250 and take the over . . . any takers?

HD: Almost bearable? You mean sort of like the Big Ten last year? Gee, thanks, Ben. As for the Jackets, I say they're closer to 280. They averaged 273 last year and should be better this season.

Rich in Tallahassee writes: Hey HD, just wondering, what do you predict will happen in the FSU/Miami Labor Day Opener? Both teams have great talent obviously, and it is a huge rivalry on the first game of the season, so what do you think the score will be?

HD: Rich, you gotta wait until the week of the game for the actual score prediction, but as of right now, I'm leaning toward Miami in that game. I think it will be a close game, but Miami knows that it needs to get off to a good start, and there's a buzz about the offense that has been lacking. Now, who knows what might happen during two-a-days that could change that (they should keep Jacory Harris in a bubble until Labor Day), but I think the Canes have the talent and the intangibles to win that game.

Graham in Raleigh, N.C. writes: Heather,The NC State/Clemson game once was a big rivalry game and in past years, the rivalry has slipped, but this year, with both teams looking for a competitive shot at the top of the conference, what do you think will happen in this year's NC State/Clemson game in Raleigh?

HD: Clemson at NC State on Nov. 14 could be -- should be -- a game that helps determine the Atlantic Division race. Those are two teams with a legitimate shot at winning the division. That will be a real test for NC State's O-line, and to me that will be the difference in that game -- regardless of who is playing quarterback for the Pack that day.

Vince in Washington, D.C. writes: Hey Heather. Just had a quick comment and I feel like this is crazy. Why are a lot of magazines and stuff hating on the UM Terps? They have a SR QB, and a JR (ALL ACC) RB Da'Rel Scott, A Deep WR Core, a SR FB Cory Jackson (WHO IS BEAST), OLmen Bruce Campbell and Phil Costa (Srs.), also a deadly return man Torrey Smith, #1 ACC Punter Travis Baltz, a 4-3 defense which UMD does good in statistically shown. And all of their corners are seniors. They have second team ACC LB Alex Wujciak. I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like a team that would finish #5 in the Atlantic and win 4 games. Wake lost their most important unit ever (CBs) and all four of them at that. BC is just dead awful. And Clemson is in rebuilding mode this season. In 2008, everyone predicted NCSU #6 in the Atlantic. True. But then in 2009 they say #2 just because of Russell Wilson. According to the press, one player doesn't make the team, I guess that's why UMD is so low, yet a SO QB makes the cut for a whole team. I don't get it. What do you think of the Terps?

HD: Vince, I think the Terps' success hinges on their offensive line and Chris Turner's consistency. Defensively, I think they'll struggle up front, but the secondary will shine in Don Brown's defense. They don't have the talent on their roster that Clemson and FSU does, but it's definitely a faster, more athletic team than in years' past. They have a chance to surprise some people, but they've got to get great quickly up front.

Clemson Tigers, Florida State Seminoles, Maryland Terrapins, North Carolina State Wolfpack, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, Duke Blue Devils, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Miami Hurricanes, Drew Weatherford, Christian Ponder, Dekoda Watson, C.J. Spiller, Chris Turner

NC State's Eugene takes a seat -- and a table

July 31, 2009 9:00 AM

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- NC State halfback Jamelle Eugene took his Pop Warner football pretty seriously growing up in Naples, Fla. In fact, he was so intent on being the best running back out there that he took his mother's kitchen chairs, tied them to a rope around his waist, and dragged them around the yard in attempt to build his leg strength.
[table][tr][td]�[/td] [td]
nfl_g_jeugene1_200.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]�[/td] [td]Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images[/td] [/tr][tr][td]�[/td] [td]Jamelle Eugene averaged 4.7 yards per carry last season.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Eventually, he progressed to the table, too.

No wonder he's earned the nickname "The Hurricane."

"I just felt like the only way to be better was to work out, and so I tried to do things everybody else wasn't doing," said Eugene, who enters his senior season with 1,168 career yards. "That's when I started pulling the chairs. I felt as a running back you need to build up your legs, and that was a way for me to act like I'm dragging people, dragging tables and chairs around."

His hard work paid off. Eugene averaged over 11 yards per carry in high school, but didn't start to take over NC State's running game until the second half of the 2007 season when he started the final six games. He was forced into the spotlight after injuries to juniors Toney Baker and Andre Brown, and he made the most of it with three 100-yard rushing games.

Eugene has rushed for over 1,000 yards in the past two seasons combined and will again be a strength of the Wolfpack's backfield. His 4.7 yards per carry last year led the team. Eugene, along with the return of Baker and fullback Taylor Gentry, will give NC State a formidable ground game -- if they all stay healthy. Eugene missed the first three games of last year with an ankle injury, and missed spring drills with a shoulder injury.

"My parents always preached to me and showed me that hard work is the key to being successful," Eugene said. "Whether or not we had everything we wanted, you had to work to even have a chance of getting it."

North Carolina State Wolfpack, Jamelle Eugene, Toney Baker, Andre Brown, Taylor Gentry

FSU's Goodman reinstated

July 30, 2009 5:55 PM

Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said senior wide receiver Richard Goodman "will be reinstated to the team immediately" after the Florida State attorney's office determined it would not file a felony charge of aggravated battery against the student-athlete for his involvement in a Nov. 12, 2008, brawl at the Student Union.

In a document filed with the Circuit Court in Leon County, assistant state attorney Jon S. Fuchs wrote "that there is no reasonable likelihood of securing a conviction" of Goodman, based on the lack of "independent evidence or identification" that he was responsible for throwing the chair which injured a female student.

Goodman was suspended indefinitely per the athletic department's policy following his May 26, 2009, arrest, which was based solely on the identification of one witness.

Florida State Seminoles, Richard Goodman, Bobby Bowden

More good news for Noles' receivers

July 30, 2009 5:00 PM

Richard Goodman won't be facing any felony charges for his involvement in last year's campus brawl near the student union.

The bottom line in this incident was whether Goodman actually threw a chair that struck a female in the face, and according to the assistant state's attorney's "No Information" report, there was "no independent evidence or identification ... that would establish the identification of the person that threw the chair ... beyond a reasonable doubt."

Goodman had been suspended indefinitely until the case had been resolved. Judging by this news, he should be back in time for the Miami game, if that's what coach Bobby Bowden decides to do (although the document states that Goodman, Taiwan Easterling, Avis Commack and Corey Surrency were all identified as players who threw at least one chair). With Goodman and Bert Reed back, FSU's receivers suddenly seem quite capable of having a productive season.

Florida State Seminoles, Richard Goodman, Taiwan Easterling, Bobby Bowden, Avis Commack, Corey Surrency

ACC's magic moments

July 30, 2009 4:45 PM

My colleagues Ivan Maisel and Mark Schlabach did a great job chronicling the moments that defined the seasons for each of the national champions during the past 25 seasons. For those of you starving for an ACC title contender, this will either�be a painful reminder of how good it used to be�(FSU and Miami), or it will lift your spirits with some hope of what could be.

Miami didn't join the ACC until 2004, so some of you will argue it's not really representative of the conference, but the Canes are in the league now, and they're aiming to get back to this elite status. The players Randy Shannon is recruiting today are coming because of this very history. If you're a true college football fan, you'll still enjoy the final chapter, from 2004-2008, even though there aren't any ACC teams involved. With the overall progress the league is making, that could change soon.

Among the highlights:

1987 -- Miami makes one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the rivalry against FSU en route to a 12-0 season.

1988 -- Notre Dame ended Miami's 36-game regular-season winning streak in the game dubbed "Catholics vs. Convicts."

1989 -- Miami beats Notre Dame en route to its third national title.

1990 -- The first November meeting of unbeaten ACC teams in Georgia Tech and Virginia.

1991 -- Miami beats the Noles for its third national title in five seasons.

1993 -- Florida State uses a Charlie Ward/Warrick Dunn combo to beat the Gators in the Swamp.

1996 -- Florida beats FSU in the 1997 Sugar Bowl.

2001 -- Miami's Ed Reed works magic against Boston College and Virginia Tech.

Boston College Eagles, Florida State Seminoles, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Miami Hurricanes, Virginia Cavaliers, Virginia Tech Hokies

ACC's 'Good Works' nominees

July 30, 2009 3:30 PM

The ACC is loaded with talented players, but some are even better people. Five conference players were announced recently as nominees for the Allstate / AFCA Good Works Team[emoji]174[/emoji].

ESPN's Lou Holtz is serving as the spokesperson for the program. From the list of 106 nominees, two 11-player teams -- one for the FBS and the other for the FCS -- will be announced during the 2009 college football season.

Here are the ACC's nominees, and a short write-up on each from the press release:

Tyrod Taylor, quarterback, Virginia Tech
Taylor volunteers at Herma's Readers, an organization founded by Hokies coach Frank Beamer which donates books to local schools. He also regularly visits patients at local hospitals and has served as speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, talking to students about faith.

Xavier Dye, wide receiver, Clemson
Dye participated in a mission trip to New Orleans with the Clemson Collegiate Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The speedy wideout also tutors a middle school student in Clemson once a week and regularly serves as a speaker at both elementary schools and children's hospitals, offering inspiration and teaching respect.

Kevin Jones, punter, Duke
Jones organized a team-wide clothing drive, donating clothing and shoes to a non-profit organization. While most of his peers spent last spring break relaxing, Jones traveled to New Orleans where he volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to help rebuild homes destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

Kyle Jolly, offensive tackle, North Carolina
Jolly plays an active role in helping the Hillsborough community by building houses for Habitat for Humanity and visiting schools to speak with students. He also spent the last holiday season shopping and wrapping gifts for underprivileged families.

Benjamin Wooster, tight end, Wake Forest
Wooster serves as an emergency room volunteer at Wake Forest's Baptist Medical Center. He also participated in the Make A Wish Foundation's fundraiser to support the local Carolina chapter and currently volunteers at the Alzheimer's Day Care Center.

Clemson Tigers, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina Tar Heels, Virginia Tech Hokies, Tyrod Taylor, Xavier Dye, Kevin Jones, Kule Jolly, Ben Wooster, Frank Beamer

UNC's Davis in favor of matchup with LSU

July 30, 2009 3:00 PM

Both LSU and North Carolina are looking for a 12th game to complete their 2010 schedules, and UNC coach Butch Davis said he wouldn't mind playing the Tigers in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

"If that game comes about, it's certainly something we'd like to do," Davis said. "I think it's a real plus for any program. I think Frank Beamer would tell you the opportunity to play Alabama is a great way to start the season. ... If that opportunity comes up, we would certainly like that opportunity."

The contracts are still in the works, so nothing is official yet, but it's pretty clear both sides support the idea.

North Carolina Tar Heels, Butch Davis, Frank Beamer

Terps' facilities rated the best

July 30, 2009 2:00 PM

The Princeton Review rated Maryland the best for athletic facilities. I must admit College Park is not the first place that pops into my mind when I think of impressive facilities.

Instead, I�picture a program like Nebraska, where you can feel the storied tradition as you walk by the weight room, Holuba Hall at Penn State, or a place like Florida State, where the 15,000-square foot training room is used by all 19 varsity teams, and there's a 4,000-square foot rehabilitation room, big enough for 24 treatment tables with computer injury tracking devices and 18 taping benches. The Noles also have an in-ground workout pool,�two in-ground whirlpools, and nine "extremity whirlpools."

But surprise, surprise, Maryland actually makes a pretty good case.

The football building is still considered fairly new, Comcast Center is state-of-the-art (though I'm a firm believer that�cozy old-school�arenas like Cole Field House�are where championships are won, and name-brand arenas like Comcast�are where they are displayed). I guess when I think of facilities at Maryland the first thing that pops into my mind is the stadium. And Byrd just doesn't rank high on my list, even with the upgrades it's currently getting.�(I've watched the field crew�literally paint the field green because it's so dusty.)

The Gossett Football Team House, though, is pretty impressive. It's got a flashy hallway with flat-screen TVs and display cases, and the academic support section was increased by about 4,000-square feet. There's a team meeting auditorium, and a 3,500-square foot�dining area. As for the practice area, they've got two 120-yard grass fields and another 120-yard turf field. There's no question Maryland has invested in its facilities, and at least according to the Princeton Review, it's paid off.

Maryland Terrapins, Florida State Seminoles

Mark Schlabach on the potential sleeper teams in college football.

ACC's lunchtime links

July 30, 2009 12:44 PM

Since NC State is one of the schools that reports first this weekend, let's start in Raleigh.
  • Without linebacker Nate Irving in the lineup, "This becomes Dwayne Maddox's time," says defensive coordinator Mike Archer. No doubt expectations are a little higher for the Pack this year. NC State is playing UNC in the final week of the season and Tom O'Brien thinks it's dumb. Ha.
  • And don't forget about Georgia Tech. Tech is one of four FBS schools to begin preseason practice on Monday. Only Troy, which begins practice today, starts earlier than the Yellow Jackets. And they aim to confuse everyone this fall -- again.
  • Things are going as well as they can for BC linebacker Mark Herzlich.
  • Miami's offensive line is set with Matt Pipho on the right side -- or is it?
  • FSU welcomed back Deion Sanders on Wednesday. Ah, the glory days.
  • The folks at the Chick-fil-A Bowl are hoping UNC-LSU is the next great kickoff to the season. Meanwhile, Maryland is adding bad boy Rhode Island to the schedule.
  • Why even play this season? Virginia Tech has already been crowned the winner.

Boston College Eagles, Florida State Seminoles, North Carolina State Wolfpack, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Miami Hurricanes, North Carolina Tar Heels, Virginia Tech Hokies, Nate Irving, Dwayne Maddox, Mike Archer, Tom O'Brien, Mark Herzlich, Matt Pipho, Deion Sanders

FSU's Richardson to sign minor league contract

July 30, 2009 11:25 AM

FSU two-sport athlete D'Vontrey Richardson will sign a minor leauge contract with the Brewers as early as today, according to the Albany Herald.

I think it's safe to say many of us saw this coming since Richardson was drafted in the fifth round, and seemed to be leaning toward leaving at his last press conference. But who could have predicted BC would recruit a minor leaguer and FSU would lose one? It's bizarro world in the ACC.

The Noles will be just fine, though, without Richardson at safety or quarterback. He wasn't even at spring practices, so how much was he really going to help? Safety Jamie Robinson will be one of the veteran leaders in the secondary, Korey Mangum moved to rover in the spring with the hopes of replacing Myron Rolle, and Terrance Parks can line up anywhere.

I'm eager to see how E.J. Manuel fares, mainly because he was Jimbo Fisher's first hand-picked quarterback as offensive coordinator. Christian Ponder told me at ACC media day that Manuel is "100 percent, throwing the ball well," and participated in all of the seven-on-sevens.

"He's starting to make the reads," Ponder said. "He's getting comfortable, I can tell. Two-a-days are going to do him a lot of good. He's going to be a heck of a player."

Florida State Seminoles, 'Vontrey Richardson, Jamie Robinson, Myron Rolle, Korey Mangum, Terrance Parks, E.J. Manuel, Jimbo Fisher, Christian Ponder

'Lift for Life' to support Herzlich

July 30, 2009 10:35 AM

Last Friday night, Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich and defensive end Jim Ramella hit the town for a teammate's birthday. It seemed like a typical weekend in Chestnut Hill, and that's exactly how Herzlich -- who was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma -- is trying to keep it.

"Going out and talking to him, you wouldn't know that he has cancer, you really wouldn't," said Ramella. "He's totally normal about it. He doesn't mope around and feel sorry for himself. He'll have a good time. From what I've heard, everything is going well with his treatments."

That doesn't mean Herzlich -- and others like him with rare diseases -- don't need your support. This afternoon is a good chance to show it, as the Boston College chapter of Uplifting Athletes will host its inaugural event, the "Lift For Life," at 6 p.m. Fans are encouraged to attend this strength and conditioning competition to show their support. At least 60 football players are expected to participate, including Montel Harris, Wes Davis, Matt Tennant, Rich Gunnell and incoming freshmen. Donations can be made online at www.upliftingathletes.org.

"That will be a great event," Ramella said. "Each player has an online site to raise money and I think we're close to $10,000. And then the event is pretty much like a strong-man competition. There will be about six or eight different events people can come and watch. It's really good for us because it's a way to help our Mark. What else can we do? It's good to do it for him."

Herzlich hopes to be able to attend.

"It's humbling for me to learn that not only are my teammates supporting me, but that my situation has inspired them to do something that will help a lot of people facing similar challenges," Herzlich said in a prepared statement. "I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at Lift For Life and personally thanking them."

Uplifting Athletes chapters are run by current football players on college campuses across the country, including Colgate University, Maryland, Ohio State and Penn State -- each benefiting a rare disease relevant to their team.

Current Eagles responsible for planning their chapter's Lift For Life event include Ryan Lindsey, James McCluskey, Damik Scafe, Billy Flutie, Thomas Claiborne, Wes Davis, Mark Spinney, Marcellus Bowman and Darius Bagan. That's exactly the kind of leadership this team needs right now, so congrats to those players who took the initiative to get this event going.

Boston College coach Frank Spaziani said he hopes Herzlich will continue to be an encouraging presence throughout the season.

"Whatever his doctors and his medical situation will allow, and his physical status will allow, we want him around as much as possible," Spaziani said. "I know he wants to be around."

Boston College Eagles, Mark Herzlich, Jim Ramella, Montel Harris, Wes Davis, Matt Tennant, Rich Gunnell, Ryan Lindsey, James McCluskey, Damik Scafe, Billy Flutie, Thomas Claiborne, Mark Spinney, Marcellus Bowman, Darius Bagan

Clemson's Sapp ready for 'big finale'

July 30, 2009 9:00 AM

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Clemson first-year defensive coordinator Kevin Steele has said that sack numbers don't necessarily indicate how much pressure a quarterback is under during a game, and he's right.

But fans like the stats, and so do Clemson's defensive ends.

Bandit end Ricky Sapp and end Da'Quan Bowers apparently have a little behind-the-scenes competition going on, with the goal of totaling 10 sacks apiece this season. It's a lofty goal for a team that didn't have anyone surpass two last year, but it's not impossible -- especially considering Steele's desire to get after the quarterbacks and the fact his system will only help the front four flourish.

Only Sapp, who went to the same high school as Bowers, refuses to be bested by his younger teammate. Sapp said the duo is "very interested" in where each other will finish in the final stat category for sacks. Last year, Sapp finished with two while Bowers had one.

"He will not beat me in sacks," Sapp said, shaking his head with a smile. "I will not let him beat me in sacks. It's not going to happen. If he has nine, I'll have 10."

Sapp, who was Clemson's best player in terms of putting pressure on the quarterback for most of 2008, suffered a torn ACL in the 10th game at Virginia and missed the final three games. He said he's about 95 percent healed and is expected to be ready for the 2009 season opener. Sapp had played in 36 straight games before he was hurt.

"Everything happens for a reason," Sapp said. "I'm hoping this year is my big finale. I guess we'll find out."

Clemson Tigers, Kevin Steele, Ricky Sapp, Da'Quan Bowers

preach...you know randy is shortening it up to 5 receivers this year....who ever is below that mark would be a top 3 receiver at any other school in the conference
Thank goodness

It should be Johnson, Byrd, Benjamin starting

If you think you're only having a 5 wr rotation then I got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell y'all.

Is UM switching to the option?

And Randy has no control over that. Randy doesn't call offensive packages.

It's Whipple and the WR's coach job.

I hope its lower than before..we had way too many WRs playing last year

Get a set rotation and let them get into a rythym with Jacory

If you think you're only having a 5 wr rotation then I got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell y'all.

Is UM switching to the option?

And Randy has no control over that. Randy doesn't call offensive packages.

It's Whipple and the WR's coach job.

Don't Whipple and Hill (WR Coach) work for Shannon though.
laugh.gif
They decide....with his permission. Plus both Whip and Hill have said they're cuttingthe rotation. Randy says not everybody is gonna travel. I'm inclined to believe him. LaRon is pretty much guaranteed to start on one side. AJ, Hankerson,and Streeter will be competing for the other spot. Who knows who wins that. Likely AJ though. And KT, Pimp, and and Benji will be competing for the slot spot.My guess is whoever wins out between KT and Pimp will split time with Benji at the slot.

Not true at all. Somebody on Rivals made a thread saying it should be a good idea and it became a rumor and spread.

Not true at all. Somebody on Rivals made a thread saying it should be a good idea and it became a rumor and spread.

Yeah cuz ya`ll need to give my boy some PT. I mean he`s just as good as Thearon (he was actually better at Booker) I don`t get it.....

Don't Whipple and Hill (WR Coach) work for Shannon though.
laugh.gif
They decide....with his permission. Plus both Whip and Hill have said they're cutting the rotation. Randy says not everybody is gonna travel. I'm inclined to believe him. LaRon is pretty much guaranteed to start on one side. AJ, Hankerson, and Streeter will be competing for the other spot. Who knows who wins that. Likely AJ though. And KT, Pimp, and and Benji will be competing for the slot spot. My guess is whoever wins out between KT and Pimp will split time with Benji at the slot.
I understand that thought, but I assumed that Shannon focused on D and let the O do their thing.

No way you travel w/ out a 2 deep rotation at Split end, Flanker and slot. That's asking for disaster. That doesn't even make sense.

Originally Posted by UnkleLuke

Yeah cuz ya`ll need to give my boy some PT. I mean he`s just as good as Thearon (he was actually better at Booker) I don`t get it.....

Thearon is probably the best route runner out of all of them. That's why he has gotten PT and DJ hasn't yet

You +@%#**! are going to make me turn this into a FSU thread.
laugh.gif

August 5, 2009
[h1]Jimbo Fisher previews preseason practice[/h1]
Warchant.com & Osceola

Related Links:
Insider Report: Ready for the next stepPre-practice depth chart breakdown - offenseFinal summer workout photo gallery

Talk about it in The Tribal Council

Don't miss a single pass, tackle or run of preseason practices - Sign-up today for a 7-day free trial subscription (or call 1-866-2-RIVALS)

Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher spoke to the media on Wednesday. Here is a transcript of that conversation:

Q: What are your plans with the fullback position this year?

Fisher: What we are going to do with the fullback is to take tight ends and put them at fullback. If you ever go back and look at us while I was at LSU, the only time we really used a fullback was with Hester which was at the end of my run there. We always used tight ends. My theory is that a tight end can do what a fullback can do, but a fullback can't do what a tight end can do. They can line up on the ball, their routes, their vertical packages and stuff like that, we had a bunch of guys, but we always played a two tight end set. We used one of them as a fullback or h-back type guy. We had some walk-ons, Danny Ard did a nice job in the spring.

Q: Are any of the tight ends then emerging into that role faster than another?

Fisher: When we teach it you don't realize, when we teach that position even when we have two tight ends in the game, or when we have three wide outs and Caz (Piurowski) in the game, we moved Caz around and he was actually doing a fullback's assignments. We teach it as a fullback to tight end position. When it is taught, it is taught at that position. So they have already learned that. They learned that last year. We didn't use as many because we thought with the youth at tight end, to go along with we had an experienced fullback we went along with him. They have already actually learned it. They need a few more reps, but assignment wise it is nothing new for them.

Q: Does a stronger offensive line help out with this?

Fisher: I think so. You could go with two tailbacks, what we call a pony situation where we have two of your fast backs. There are a lot of different variations. They had to learn schemes too. You can go big and be physical, or smaller and more athletic.

Q: Will we see even more of your playbook this year?

Fisher: I hope so. As I have said, we are still a very young football team, but we are still a team that has played a lot of football. If that makes sense. Even though these guys are young, they have still played a lot. I'm anxious to see the next step we take, but hopefully we can keep expanding out and do more of the things we want to do. When we get more experienced up front, it will let you take more chances. When you have guys up front that can handle the one-on-one blocks and you don't have to double team, and the guys learn more about what they have to do, and Christian (Ponder) has more of a grasp of what we are trying to do he has a chance to make more big plays. We'll see that as we go.

Q: Are you pleased with where your passing game is and confident it will be good enough?

Fisher: I feel very good coming out of spring. We threw the ball very well in the scrimmages and made plays, made big plays. We didn't throw a lot of interceptions. We made some great decisions with the football, we were accurate with it, and guys caught it. This summer they worked extremely hard. Probably the best summer that I've been around, just talking to them. You can tell that this year. I never saw them at all. Christian would call every couple of days after the workout and say that so and so did a very good job. He would say that he would want to try some new things and I told him that he is running the show. They were out there sometimes for two and a half hours. So the offense and defense were out there working hard and having fun.
[table][tr][td]
707231.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gene Williams - Warchant.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fisher believes Ponder will be a more complete quarterback this season.[/td] [/tr][/table]Q: What do you think is different about Christian now from a year ago?

Fisher: As much as anything, confidence. I think that is the greatest thing any athlete can have. He has improved in every aspect that an athlete has. He is bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter. But you know what, until he gets confident, you are never as good as you can be. The guys that are very confident in what they do, they do a good job. When you doubt yourself, deep down in your mind, was that good enough? Was that wrong? Sometimes you don't do your best work. Until you wake up one day and you say to yourself I can do this, I am doing this, I am good enough to do this. I get that impression from him. His leadership, he is taking over team meetings, coming up with team slogans, ideas with what he wants to do with camp. A whole different mental approach, and only people that have confidence do that. That's where I think the change is starting to come in him. I can see it in the way he talks to you, the way he carries on a conversation, how he looks at you. Even how he answers you back, what his thoughts are, what he thinks can be done different to help him or his teammates. I hope it continues to grow on the field.

Q: How much is the fact that the depth chart is clearly defined helping him?

Fisher: I think it is with him. In another words, he has another year under his belt. Last year we went into camp and the job was up for grabs. Now this year, EJ if he has a great camp has a chance to impress. There is always a chance for guys to win a job.

Part of it, and I will say this in regards to Drew (Weatherford), when he (Ponder) became the starter, I still think it hindered his ability to be outgoing and take things over and grasp them just because of his presence. They were also good friends. They were good buddies and he didn't want to make him feel alienated by saying this is my team and I am taking it over. Now that he is there and Drew has graduated, I think that has helped his maturity level. The bowl game as well. He played very well in the bowl game and made a lot of plays as well. He read coverages, threw for a couple hundred yards, made good decisions, and had a good, solid spring. He really came out of spring feeling really good about what he did. There is a time, and we all do it, sometimes you do things where you kind of know that you lucked out there a couple of times. We've all done it. Occasionally he will make a play and it is like, boy I am glad it worked out like that. Then there are other times you do it and you knew it was going to work. There is a difference between knowing when something is going to happen, and when you fall into it. I think in the spring, all the things he did, he understood why he did them. And why the results were what they were. Whether they were good or bad. That is a great feeling because you know even when they are bad, when you know why they are bad, you can always fix them. Sometimes when you don't know why things happen, good or bad, you can't ever repeat them when they are good, and you can't ever fix them when they are bad. I think the why question for him is being answered more and more. That is the key to playing the position. You have to know why everything is going on.

Q: How different of a situation is it for you knowing who your quarterback is?

Fisher: I don't know if it is any different, but maybe when you go and where you spend a lot more of your time. I mean, that is still going to be a battle, that is still a competition, but I may spend some more time to isolate and watch a receiver, or somebody else develop. The thing that I am excited about is the ability to take a guy to the next level. You can give a guy too much information. You can force things on him too quick when he doesn't understand why. You can't keep taking baby steps, so I am excited to see how far he can go in this fall camp. I'm excited to see how much I can put on him and what he can do, and the consistency in which he does it. That is the key.

Q: Now in your third year, does everyone know what to expect from your coaching staff?

Fisher: Definitely. The big thing that I keep saying is that it is going to be the same group for the next three years. I mean it really is. It's really a young, experienced football team. If that makes any sense. I know that is talking out of both sides of your mouth, but it really is. That is the exciting thing about what we got going on. What you are getting now is that when young guys come in, they are going to have experienced guys in front of them that will not only teach them what to do, but how to act, the desired effort, the temperament that is desired, the mentality that is desired. You start teaching the young guys so you don't always have to start over again. It's going to be interesting.

Q: This will be the first time that your back ups have no experience. Will you do anything to get EJ more reps?

Fisher: He is going to get plenty of reps as it is with only three scholarship guys in there anyways. We keep the reps even between the ones and twos at least for the most of fall camp. It's crucial for both of them in two different ways. It's crucial for Christian to start taking steps up and for EJ to show consistency and what you can do with him. You never know, EJ is a very phenomenal guy in the way he learns and talks. He asks the right questions and he learns very well, so he may be a guy that grabs a hold of it. We will have to get him involved in reps and give him a bunch of them. I'm anxious to see it. The thing he did though, which a lot of guys won't when they get hurt which shows his maturity level, he would still pay attention to what goes on. The questions he asked me, I knew that he was paying attention to what was going on. He did all that he could without taking the physical reps. He took the mental reps. It is going to be crucial for him as well, but if he learns fast we will see what he can do. He is very smart and a very intelligent guy and he has that same knack, that same ability and charisma that people migrate to him. When he is in the room, people naturally migrate to him and he becomes the leader in the room.

Q: When Christian would give you updates of who looked good in the summer workouts, were there any names that kept coming up?

A: You know what's funny, it would go in spurts sometimes. There was a two or three week period where every day [it was Jarmon Fortson]. Then there was a week or two that it was Bert [Reed]. Then it would be Rodney [Smith] and some of the young guys. Then he'd say Rich [Goodman] or Rod [Owens]. The tight ends, he'd say [Beau] Reliford. ? What I think you see happening, and what I'm excited about [is] I think the guys are starting to see the competition. In other words, they're going out there knowing that there's a lot of guys out here who can make some plays. And I think we're starting to get a little bit of depth. When they see a guy at their position making plays, they're not saying, "Well, he's the guy every day." Then two days later I hear him talking about the other guy.

What was interesting to me listening to him [Ponder] as a leader, he was very observant. It's another sign to me that he's getting a grasp of everything that's going on because when you don't understand what's going on, you're not worried about everybody else. You're just trying to hold onto yourself. But every day, he'd notice a back, he'd notice a tight end, he'd notice a receiver. His observations are very interesting to me and showed me that he really had a grasp and a feel for what was going on around him.

Q: Are you expecting to have to take it slow with Tavares Pressley and Taiwan Easterling?

A: They're conditioning and they're in shape. I hope not. We'll watch them. I'm sure there'll be some soreness, probably with Taiwan more so than Tavares. With Tavares, the best thing that's going to happen to him is the first time he gets hit and tackled and gets up and says, "You know, it's all right." There's always that feeling with a knee or something like that.

Q: Do you expect to have Richard Goodman available for the first game?

A: Yeah.

Q: With what Goodman had to go through this summer, can you talk about how he also maintained his role as a leader?

A: He really has. It takes a very mature guy to have all that on your back and still ? say, "Let me control what I can control and put that aside," takes a very mature person. You know, Rich was a heck of a leader last year. People didn't realize, even though he didn't play, being around the guys and what he did for our team and the other receivers - how he helped them. He has really turned into a heck of a guy, a heck of a person off the field. He's going to be successful after ball too.

Q: How does it allow you to open up your playbook more now that you have an experienced offensive line?

A: If we left those two young tackles exposed last year ? you want to spread the field and do things, but it wasn't fair. One was 270 pounds and one was 280, and they were true freshmen. It's going to allow us to do some different things. Hopefully, we'll get a little more time to get some of the deeper stuff. ? The ability of having those guys that can block on that edge and say, "I'm one on one." When you've got a tackle that says, "I got you" [to] a defensive end. Heck, I'm gonna tell you what, life's fun. And that's I'm hoping we can step up and we can get that. It should allow us to start getting that ball down the field a little more.

Q: Given the fact that you're opening up with Miami instead of a Western Carolina or someone like that, how does it affect what you do with the incoming freshmen early in the season? How much will they have to show you before you can even put them in that game?

A: Well, you say that, but who are you going to put out there? Some of them are going to have to get some backup roles. They'll have to show that they can be dependable ? but some of them are going to have to. Just because of numbers. Some of these guys will have to play a lot of ball. Just because of who you have on your team. How much of a role they have will depend on what they do in camp.

Q: What did Christian tell you about the two freshman running backs?

A: He said they work very hard. They're strong. He said they catch the ball very well. He said they seem to have good quickness. And he said they learn well. He said they're there every day. The accountability and dependability of this team is getting greater. That's what I see. And I see them together a lot. I see a tighter football team. That's why I like coming down here and eating in the cafeteria as much as I can. The first year or two, sometimes you wouldn't see two, three or four guys eating in there. They're all in there eating now. And they all sit together; they're all talking. It's offensive guys with defensive guys, it's different positions together. They seem to have a very good camaraderie between them. They get along.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
713329.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gene Williams - Warchant.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Thomas averaged nearly 7 yards a carry last season as a true freshman.[/td] [/tr][/table]Q: Florida State hasn't had a 1,000-yard rusher in 13 seasons. Do you anticipate that changing?

A: I hope so. It would be nice to be able to do that. Or if we had about three 800-yard guys, that wouldn't bother me either. But I could see that happening. We'll try to keep the balance to give them the attempts.

Q: Jermaine Thomas showed an awful lot last year.

A: He did. What did he have, 500 [yards] last year? About 7 yards a carry. But you know, the thing about that, which is going to be interesting, is durability. And that goes back to your conditioning and your strength, which he's had a great summer. And Ty [Jones] and those guys have all ? this is the best summer we've had. We're in the best condition of any of the three teams we've had since I've been here. By far.

Q: Not having seen these guys all summer, how quickly will you be able to tell where they are at?

Fisher: I see it now from looking at their bodies. I see it now from walking around. We look different, we look stronger, we're in better shape, we carry ourselves different. You can tell when you look at a guy, you can tell if he has been doing what he needs to be doing during the summer. The strength coaches said they tested them on their times and they blew them away. They said they were great during the conditioning thing. I'm anxious to see it. You'll see it in the first half of practice. Some of these young guys it will take a week. You have to remember they have a lot of anxiety for a week. They will be so nervous out there. You know how anxiety takes it out of you. But the older guys you will be able to tell from the first half of practice. You can tell from walking around here.

Q: How have the measurables changed since you have gotten here?

Fisher: I think it's changed a ton. It's the type of guys. We are getting bigger guys with the same strength and speed. The conditioning, you can tell. The strength coaches said back in July that we are further along than when we started camp last year. He always keeps records of what goes on.

Q: Is the training different or is it recruiting different players?

Fisher: We are probably recruiting different types of guys too, but I think that their commitment level and understanding - holding everyone accountable.

Q: Are you guys at the point where if people don't want to put in the work that they can leave?

Fisher: You don't ever want to lose anybody. When you have 85 guys, there is going to be one or two that leave. I try to look at it as if that was my son. How would I approach it? Does that mean I get on him? Do I say grow up and stop being a baby or - sometimes you have to take different avenues. Just because they don't think right at that particular moment doesn't mean they are a bad guy. You have to help them and guide them a little. They are still kids. You can say they are men, but they are still kids. They are kids that are making grown up decisions for the first time in their lives. I don't want to lose anyone. I honestly don't. Sometimes that is the best thing and that's what happens. I don't like the approach where we say we are good enough and we don't need you. I don't like that. That is the wrong approach to take. Every individual is special and I truly believe that. He's somebody's baby. He is special to somebody. You may get mad at him, but he is special to somebody. No matter how you look at it.

Q: Do you think Marcus Sims ever got over the fumble at Georgia Tech?

Fisher: I think he did. I really do. I got over it. We gave him the ball next week. I had no problem with it. The guy had one fumble. Deuce almost fumbled two or three down in Miami. You have to put mistakes away. If there is ever a perfect football player, I haven't seen him. Everybody makes mistakes. I don't know that, I think he got over it, I'm assuming he did. Think about the two Heisman trophy winners you ever had. The two best quarterbacks in the history. They probably had the two worst starts of anybody. Charlie threw what, 16 picks in four games? Wienke he had a couple turnovers against Texas A&M in New Jersey, and six picks at NC State. They got over it. Sometimes how you deal with adversity determines the path that you take. Adversity is coming.

Q: Is that what you saw from Ponder last year?

Fisher: Yeah. He had a bad game at Wake Forest. How is that any different than Wienke. He just wasn't surrounded by a stronger team that kept covering things up. You have to learn how to put things away. If you are the guy that is going to win it, you have to take that with it too. He is an excellent competitor and he proved that. He learned to overcome mistakes.

Q: Did Ponder ever have to overcome the perception of being a role player?

Fisher: You know what's funny and I've said this before, when I first got here and he started doing things, I tried to keep an open mind. I knew in his mind he wasn't ready because he didn't have the confidence, but as I watched the year before, I noticed he was instinctive and did things naturally at times more so than anyone we had. He caught my eye a bunch of times. I don't think he realized how good he was. I think he is now just realizing what he is really capable of. I really do. Just like Bobby said, they thought they were recruiting him as a program guy. I think he took it that way. When he started having his success, sometimes you pinch yourself and you think is this really happening to me? You have to embrace that and understand that. You have to realize how good of an athlete he is. He's smart, intelligent. When you see that, all of the sudden he thinks I'm pretty good. That's what I am anxious to see how he takes a hold of it. That might have been something that he had to overcome.

Q: Mickey Andrews said that he thought the real strength of this team is the offense. Do you agree with that?

Fisher: It can be. It can be at times. On defense, as I was going through and looking at it, you have some guys with experience. Budd has played a lot. Stewart has played a lot. White has played a bunch. Dekoda has played a bunch. Kendall Smith has played a bunch. Nigel Bradham played as much as our freshmen did last year. Pat Robinson is as good of a corner as you got. Jamie Robinson has played a heck of a lot of football. Mangum has played off and on. Jenije is probably the most inexperienced guy, but he has played a bunch. There are a lot of draftable guys. On that side, I think they are a lot better than you think they are. I really do. I think we can be a dadgum good offense if we stay healthy and a couple of guys out wide step up and do some things, the quarterback, the offensive line is as good as we think they are going to be, our running backs - I like our football team. I think we have quality depth. Nigel Carr is a heck of a player. Mister Alexander is a guy over there doing some things. McCray, he is a big physical guy inside. Everett Dawkins, Brandon Jenkins. There are some guys over there. You could say we might be the strength, but I think they could be right there with us. I really do.

Will there be some possibly psychological difficulties for Easterling getting back to full speed?

First time he gets hit, that's what I'm saying. That part of it with the guys that have injuries. Once they get tackled or get hit a couple times it will go away.

How will not having Graham Gano in the lineup change things for you as an offensive coordinator?

It makes a big difference... He's (Hopkins) is very talented. They say he's kicking the ball off through the endzone, out of the endzone, and he's got a strong leg. He may do it, you don't ever know that. But you don't want to rely on that. To me about a field goal kicker, if you got to the 25 and if they could hit those 42 yarders, you get a guaranteed three there you are in pretty good shape. Maybe that's the approach we have to take, get down there 10 more yards or whatever before you do things. Hopefully, we'll score more touchdowns. We got a lot better in the redzone last year - we were just going over that, our goals for redzone, third downs and our percentages. We looked on both of those categories which are crucial for offensive football, and we wee very good in both situations. Hopefully we can score more touchdowns when we get down in that redzone.

Q: When you were talking about seeing guys' bodies, can you talk about the first time you saw Andrew Datko compared to when you see him now?

A: He was about 265 pounds or so. Now he's benching over 400 (pounds), he weighs 292 and his body fat's gone down. It's just a testament to how hard he works. He's such an intelligent guy. He understands the big picture of why you're doing things. It's been a dramatic difference. You look at him now, with his back and his shoulders, and he's 292 ... he looks like a lineman.

Q: When you guys signed him, did you think he'd make that much progress in a year?

A: I didn't know about in a year, but you knew he had the capability of getting there. You can be 265 pounds and you're going to be 265. You can be 265 pounds and you're going to be 290. It's about your bone structure, your hand size, your head, your feet, the structure of your shoulders. You have to judge off of those things.

I say that about Chris Thompson a lot. Everyone says he's a little guy. He's not only rocked up, but if you look at him, he has great big hands and big feet. You don't have big hands and big feet for your size if you don't have big bone structure. That means you can take more punishment. Other guys can be the same weight, but with a narrow frame and little hands. A guy who was like that for us at LSU was (Jacob) Hester. We called him "Cro-Magnon" at times. He was actually shorter than I was and he was 230 pounds. But his hands and feet looked like they'd be on a guy weighing 250 or 260. That's why he held the ball and could take punishment. He had those features. You felt he could eventually be that guy.

Q: You were joking earlier about never being home. How have the demands and expectations for coaches and players changed over the years?

A: It really has because you have speaking engagements and time recruiting. It's especially for players. These guys don't get a break. When I played, you got to go home for the summer. You saw Mom and saw Dad and saw the girlfriend. And two-a-days - everyone makes a big deal because two-a-days aren't as tough as they used to be. They don't have to be. You used to come back and do two-a-days because you were out of shape. You had to get back in shape and learn things again and get banged and bruised. You had a month to get into football shape. Now these guys train year-round.

They go to school ... think about it. I didn't like school. I went to school because I wanted to have a degree and have a future, but I loved playing ball. These guys don't ever get a month off. They're in summer school. They're training in both sessions. They get a week or two here and get 10 days at the end of spring. The demands on those kids' time now, with study hall all summer, the development of these kids and the pressure that's on them, it's tough. They don't get any time off. For a year around, you're going to school, study hall, meeting your mentors, meeting your advisors, work out, train. You get no time for yourself. It's a tough grind for those kids.

As the media has grown and you're putting things out more than you used to ... we keep developing all this stuff and I don't know if it's good or bad. But you're doing your job. You're doing what you're supposed to do and what the people want to hear.

The things that's funny about today's time, the practice field used to be sacred between the player and the coach. That was where you could push him, you could grind him. You broke him down or you loved him and had to build him up. Everything is seen everyday now. That time ... it's hard for that athlete and that coach to have that sacred time and really bond and get over that hump. I'm not blaming anyone, but that's the way it is with the media attention and what goes on and the exposure of all these kids. It's bad for them sometimes to have it. They can't have an off day. Then everybody judges them. I'm glad you didn't judge me on all my bad days in college. The kids adapt to it, but it's totally changes.

Q: So what do you do to avoid burning out?

A: You have to be smart about how you do things and when you push the buttons and when you get off. I think now, when guys are in condition, you can grind them and bang them, but maybe you don't have to condition them if they're staying in condition. You have to talk to them and have that communication with them.

Q: Following up on the kicker question, you also have to replace Michael Ray Garvin at kick returner and look for a punt return. Do you see some of the freshmen maybe stepping into there?

A: They're going to get some opportunities. We need them to step up. There's a couple of older guys, I think, that can take those roles, too. But some of those guys will have to step up early and do it.

Q: We were just talking about all the demands, and there are more demands as you step up and become head coach. How do you feel or assess how you're adapting?

A: I like it. You always say I change four directions at a time in sentence and I never finish a thought. I always have four different thoughts at a time (laughter). That may be a question more for y'all than it is for me. I understand what the media has to do. I don't mind it. I appreciate it. I look forward to it and to communicating our program out there and what we want people to see in our program and how we want it seen. I have no problem with that. I do think there are times the kids need a break now and then, because sometimes you catch them on a bad day and, when they're 18 or 19, they'll say something most 18 or 19-year-old kids would do. But I like it. Talking's never been a problem for me.

Q: Do you see any other freshman coming in and contributing at other positions?

A: I think all of them will. And I'd like to see the two big wideouts and the two running backs. And the offensive linemen with depth, I'm anxious to see whether maybe they can give you some depth. There's a lot of them. Defensively, Brandon Jenkins and some of the guys at defensive end or maybe the defensive backs.

Q: You got to see Jenkins in the spring.

A: Yeah. It's funny, I see him around here now and I feel like he's been here for two years. He made significant plays in the spring. Usually it takes guys another year. Usually, it's the second spring that catches your eye. He did that this spring. Sometimes when I see him in there, I don't equate him with the other true freshmen.

Q: You've had a couple of kids make comments about FSU's probation and how that's a reason they're not interested in Florida State. Are you surprised that's still an issue and how big of an issue has it been?

A: It really hasn't been that big of an issue overall. What they don't realize, they guys that played for the last national championships - Ohio State and Oklahoma - both have been on about the same kind of probation we're on. They went to the national championship game. Alabama will probably be back on it again this year because they got in trouble. It's just the negative recruiting part of it, and that's something you have to overcome. I'm not going to do it by bashing whoever's saying it. I'm just going to do it by reinforcing the truth to them. That's the thing about recruiting. You have to figure out who you can believe. Judging character for us on them and for them on us is a crucial part. We just have to keep reinforcing it and every time it's brought up, we'll address it the proper way.

Q: Has Rod Owens been cleared to practice and play with the team?

A: He's finishing up his things right now. I think he should be done by the end of the week. We'll wait and make sure.

Q: Those fifth-year receivers can make a big difference for you.

A: They can, because of their versatility. They can move around into different spots and give good leadership. We were just talking about that this morning, going back over personnel. I look for both guys to have good years.

[table][tr][td]
Top 120 countdown

No. 14 Georgia Tech
[/td] [td]
georgiatech_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Coach: Paul Johnson (9-4 in one season; 116-43 overall in 12 seasons). | Staff
In 2008: 9-4 overall, 5-3 in ACC (tied for first in Coastal Division). Lost to LSU in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Returning starters: Offense: 9. Defense: 7. Special teams: 2. | Depth Chart
Final 2008 Rivals.com ranking: 24th. | Complete Final 2008 Rankings
Past four Rivals.com national recruiting rankings: 49th in 2009, 49th in '08, 18th in '07, 57th in '06.[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2009 Breakdown: Offense | Defense | Special teams | Coaching | Schedule | Depth Chart[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://OFFENSE

THE SCHEME: Call it an option, call it the spread or just call it Paul Johnson's offense. Just make sure to call it run-oriented. Georgia Tech ran the ball 80 percent of the time last season and typically operated out of three-back sets.
[table][tr][td]
JONATHANDWYER250_1210.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jonathan Dwyer developed into one of the most dominant running backs in the nation by the end of the 2008 season.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: RB Jonathan Dwyer developed into one of the nation's most dominant running backs by the end of the 2008 season. In his final four regular-season games, Dwyer rushed for 574 yards and seven touchdowns on only 65 carries against bowl-bound Florida State, North Carolina, Miami and Georgia. He finished the season with 1,395 yards and 12 touchdown runs, making him the lone ACC player to average at least 100 rushing yards per game. He also averaged 7 yards per carry and was named the ACC player of the year.
IMPACT NEWCOMERS: He's walking into a talent-laden backfield, but Louisville transfer Anthony Allen figures to have at least some impact on Georgia Tech's rushing attack. Allen rushed for a total of 1,102 yards and 20 touchdowns during his two seasons at Louisville. Georgia Tech's lack of proven receivers could allow redshirt freshmen Daniel McKayhan and Quentin Sims or even true freshman Stephen Hill to challenge for playing time.

WATCH FOR THEM TO EMERGE: OTs Austin Barrick - a converted tight end - and Nick Claytor moved into the starting lineup late last season after injuries knocked out Andrew Gardner and David Brown. Barrick and Claytor were the starting tackles when Georgia Tech gained a combined 946 yards in victories over Miami and Georgia. Now that Gardner and Brown have completed their college careers, Barrick and Claytor enter the 2009 season as the likely starting tackles. Georgia Tech's chances of matching its 2008 success on offense hinge at least in part on this tandem's effectiveness.

STRONGEST AREA: Oklahoma may be the only team in the country that can match Georgia Tech's depth and talent at running back. Dwyer is the reigning ACC player of the year. Roddy Jones gained an astounding 8.5 yards per carry last season. Lucas Cox is an outstanding blocker who also averaged 7.7 yards per carry last year. Allen's production at Louisville indicates he should make Georgia Tech's rushing attack even stronger. The combination of runners is even more impressive if you throw in QB Josh Nesbitt, who rushed for 693 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: As well as Georgia Tech runs the ball, the Yellow Jackets must offer at least the threat of a passing game to keep defenses honest. Nesbitt completed just 43.9 percent of his attempts last season with five interceptions and only two touchdowns. He has to do better than that. Nesbitt probably won't improve his accuracy until he has more capable targets. Demaryius Thomas had 39 of the Jackets' 74 receptions last season.

GRADE: A-minus

http://DEFENSE

THE SCHEME: Georgia Tech essentially runs a 4-2-5 to make the most of its depth in the secondary.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
MORGANBURNETT250_0730PW.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Morgan Burnett tied for the NCAA lead last season with seven interceptions.[/td] [/tr][/table]STAR POWER: SS Morgan Burnett tied for the NCAA lead last season with seven interceptions, the highest single-year total by a Georgia Tech player since 1991. Burnett had more interceptions last season than the entire Georgia Tech defense had collected a year earlier. He also finished the season with 93 tackles, giving him 24 more than any of his teammates.
IMPACT NEWCOMER: Georgia Tech needs to find pass rushers as it attempts to rebuild a defensive line that lost three of its four starters from last season. The lack of depth could create an opportunity for DE Emmanuel Dieke. The 6-foot-6, 243-pound true freshman from College Park (Ga.) North Clayton High enrolled in time for spring practice and turned some heads.

WATCH FOR HIM TO EMERGE: Cooper Taylor made just three starts last season as a true freshman, yet he still ranked second on the team with 69 tackles. Taylor also made arguably the biggest play of the year when he forced a fumble near the goal line in the final minute to preserve a 31-28 victory over Florida State. After playing safety last season, Taylor is moving to Georgia Tech's "wolf"' position, a hybrid of the strongside linebacker and nickel back. Georgia Tech is moving to a 4-2-5 in part to get Taylor, Burnett and safety Dominique Reese on the field at the same time.

STRONGEST AREA: Georgia Tech has four returning starters in the secondary. The Jackets are particularly well stocked at the safety positions. Burnett was a Rivals.com second-team All-American last season. Reese showed his ball-hawking skills by picking off passes in three straight games midway through last season. Georgia Tech's safety corps looks even stronger if you add Taylor's name to the mix.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The lack of experience in the front four is a major concern. The return of E Derrick Morgan gives the Jackets at least one proven pass rusher, but the interior of the line offers cause for alarm. Georgia Tech simply doesn't have any proven candidates at that spot. Contenders for starting spots include former defensive end Jason Peters, Ben Anderson, Logan Walls and redshirt freshman T.J. Barnes.

GRADE: B

http://SPECIAL TEAMS

Scott Blair returns as Georgia Tech's combination kicker-punter, but he will have to perform better to hold on to both jobs all season. Blair went 12-of-19 on field-goal attempts last season, but he missed all six of his tries from at least 40 yards. He also missed two extra-point attempts and averaged 38.9 yards per punt. Jones averaged 23.6 yards per kickoff return last season.

GRADE: D-plus

http://COACHING

After orchestrating one of the greatest turnarounds in recent college football history at Navy, Johnson showed last year that his option attack also could succeed in a major conference. Georgia Tech ranked fourth in the nation in rushing and ended a seven-year losing streak to Georgia in Johnson's first season. Johnson has won nearly three-quarters of his games and owns a career record of 116-43 in 12 seasons as a head coach. Tom Osborne is the only person to win more games in his first 12 years as a head coach. Johnson's entire staff from last season returns intact.

GRADE: A-minus

[table][tr][td]
805408.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DATE[/td] [td]OPPONENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 5[/td] [td]Jacksonville State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 10[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 17[/td] [td]at Miami[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sept. 26[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 3[/td] [td]at Mississippi State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]at Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 17[/td] [td]Virginia Tech[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 24[/td] [td]at Virginia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Oct. 31[/td] [td]at Vanderbilt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 7[/td] [td]Wake Forest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 14[/td] [td]at Duke[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nov. 28[/td] [td]Georgia[/td] [/tr][/table]

http://SCHEDULE

Georgia Tech's schedule could boost its chances of reaching the ACC Championship Game. Virginia Tech and North Carolina - the two teams most likely to battle the Jackets for the Coastal Division title - both must come to Georgia Tech. The bad news is that Georgia Tech also has a Thursday night game at Miami and a trip to Florida State, the likely preseason favorite in the Atlantic Division. The Jackets' fortunes could be determined by a midseason stretch in which they play four of five games on the road. Georgia Tech travels to Mississippi State and Florida State, returns home to face Virginia Tech, then goes back on the road for dates with Virginia and Vanderbilt. For the second consecutive season, Georgia Tech opens with a Jacksonville State team led by former LSU quarterback Ryan Perrilloux. The rest of Georgia Tech's home schedule features plenty of glamour: Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Georgia.

OVERALL OUTLOOK

Georgia Tech has plenty of reason to feel good about itself heading into the 2009 season, but that Chick-fil-A Bowl fiasco against LSU did raise a few concerns. It even raised the hopes of ACC rivals hoping that an extra year to prepare for the option would give them a better idea of how to stop it. That cause for optimism seems misplaced. Georgia Tech will continue to have one of the nation's top rushing attacks because of the effectiveness of the system and the explosiveness of the men running this scheme. If the Jackets establish some semblance of passing attack, it will only make them that much more dangerous. The questions are on the other side of the ball. Georgia Tech spent last season controlling the clock against the opponents. If they don't shore up their front four on defense, the Jackets could spend the 2009 season having opponents control the clock against them. The guess here is that Georgia Tech wins nine or 10 games and falls just short of winning the Coastal Division title.

- STEVE MEGARGEE
http:// [table][tr][td]
805412.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Josh Nesbitt* (6-1/214, Jr.)
Jaybo Shaw (6-0, 180, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Jonathan Dwyer* (6-0, 235, Jr.)
Richard Watson (6-1, 234, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Roddy Jones* (5-9, 192, Soph.)
Embry Peeples (5-10, 176, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Anthony Allen (6-0, 228, Jr.) OR
Lucas Cox* (6-0, 245, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Demaryius Thomas* (6-3, 229, Jr.)
Zach Fisher (6-2, 196, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Tyler Melton* (6-0, 205, Soph.)
Kevin Cone (6-2, 206, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Nick Claytor (6-6, 286, Soph.) OR
Brad Sellers (6-2, 250, Sr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Austin Barrick (6-3, 254, Jr.)
Clyde Yandell (6-3, 291, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Joseph Gilbert* (6-4, 284, Soph.)
Omoregie Uzzi (6-3, 304, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Cord Howard* (6-5, 300, Sr.)
Zach Krish (6-5, 285, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Dan Voss* (6-4, 300, Sr.) OR
Sean Bedford (6-1, 267, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Scott Blair* (6-0, 198, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Jerrard Tarrant (6-0, 193, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Derrick Morgan* (6-4, 275, Jr.)
Emmanuel Dieke (6-6, 243, Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jason Peters (6-4, 272, Soph.)
Logan Walls (6-2, 290, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Ben Anderson (6-2, 274, Jr.)
T.J. Barnes (6-7, 353, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Robert Hall (6-3, 254, Jr.)
Anthony Egbuniwe (6-4, 256, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Cooper Taylor (6-4, 200, Soph.) OR
Mario Edwards (6-1, 210, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Brad Jefferson (6-2, 236, Jr.)
Kyle Jackson* (6-0, 228, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Sedric Griffin* (5-11, 230, Sr.)
Steven Sylvester (6-2, 236, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Mario Butler* (6-1, 181, Jr.)
Michael Peterson (5-11, 195, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Rashaad Reid* (5-10, 186, Soph.)
Jerrard Tarrant (6-0, 193, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]S[/td] [td]Morgan Burnett* (6-1, 210, Jr.)
Jon Lockhart (6-0, 192, R-Fr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]S[/td] [td]Dominique Reese* (5-11, 195, Jr.)
Cooper Taylor (6-4, 200, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Scott Blair* (6-0, 198, Jr.)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Roddy Jones (5-9, 192, Soph.)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td](NOTE: *--denotes returning starter; %--denotes returning starter who has changed positions.)[/td] [/tr][/table]

[h1]New University of Miami offensive coordinator Mark Whipple is a proven winner[/h1] [h2]The Miami Hurricanes open fall camp Saturday, and they have a winner in new offensive coordinator Mark Whipple -- from a national title in Division I-AA to a Super Bowl ring.[/h2]

708-whippppps.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

2-24-2009 AL DIAZ / THE MIAMI HERALD -- This is the start of the 2009 Spring Football practice at UM Greentree Field. Mark Whipple is the new offensive coordinator.
AL DIAZ / MIAMI HERALD

clear.gif

[h2]Related Content[/h2]
Similar stories:

A peek inside the University of Miami's football huddle

[h4]A peek inside the University of Miami's football huddle[/h4]
University of Miami quarterback Jacory Harris was saying last week that when he is 'in the community, people are like, `You have to lead us to a championship.' It's like I'm a savior. I flourish off of pressure.''

Fortunately for UM, the most important offensive position is settled and stable, with Harris the starter and Taylor Cook the likely backup. But other intriguing battles loom. A sneak peek at the rest of the offense, with practice opening Aug. 8:

Receiver: Coach Randy Shannon said he wants to shorten the rotation, from eight to five or so, but that will be difficult. The UM staff believes Aldarius Johnson and LaRon Byrd can be dominating and love the toughness and escapability that Kendal Thompkins and Thearon Collier offer in the slot. Travis Benjamin is too explosive to keep off the field. So that's five there.

Raiders new DC promises pressure from his defense

[h4]Raiders new DC promises pressure from his defense[/h4]
John Marshall played coy when asked how his Oakland Raiders defense would differ from the one run the previous five seasons under former coordinator Rob Ryan.

Marshall said he preferred to wait and let others make the judgment, saying all he knew was that "my hair won't be as long" as the wild-haired Ryan. The Raiders are hoping that the differences in Marshall's defense are much more substantial than hairdos.

Oakland's new defensive coordinator spoke to the media for the first time since being hired in the offseason, vowing to fix the shoddy run defense by focusing on fundamentals and to do whatever it takes to "bring pressure" on the opposing quarterback.

Pat Riley: `Nothing going on' between Miami Heat and Carlos Boozer

[h4]Pat Riley: `Nothing going on' between Miami Heat and Carlos Boozer[/h4]
Though Carlos Boozer wants to be traded to the Heat, Miami has put the issue on hold, at least for now.

``We listen to all inquiries but there is nothing going on,'' Heat president Pat Riley said Tuesday about Boozer, his first public statement since June.

Contrary to an Internet report, there was no discussion with Memphis about a deal that would send Udonis Haslem to Utah, Boozer to Miami and Dorell Wright to the Grizzlies. The Heat likes Boozer -- his skill set and expiring contract are appealing - and might pursue a trade eventually, but the priority now is waiting on free agent Lamar Odom's decision.

Line of Scrimmage: 5 Teams on the Rise, 5 on the Decline

[h4]Line of Scrimmage: 5 Teams on the Rise, 5 on the Decline[/h4]
The NFL has long been the easiest of the four major professional sports leagues in which to embark upon a rags-to- riches story.

The salary cap, and the ease with which teams are able to shuttle personnel in and out of town, have ensured that there are no Pittsburgh Pirate-like drains on the NFL. Even down-on-their-luck franchises like the Oakland Raiders are capable of spending money in order to improve their product, even if they typically choose to spend as wisely as Michael Jackson on a trip to the Carnival Ride-and-Exotic Animal Warehouse.

Still, the feats pulled off last season by the likes of the Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, and Miami Dolphins may have effectively ended what little acceptance of a "rebuilding period" NFL fans had left.

Miami Central High QB Jeffrey Godfrey is worth the hype

[h4]Miami Central High QB Jeffrey Godfrey is worth the hype[/h4]
As he stands on the sideline, talking with his receivers, Jeffrey Godfrey is plotting his next play. He is thinking about what will happen during the next series. He has always been that way.

At 5-11 and 180 pounds, the Central High senior quarterback has heard all the critics have their say about what he isn't or might not be at the next level. He has overheard college coaches talking about what will happen when they get him on campus, thinking of turning him into a receiver or defensive back.

For those who have followed his career, growing up in Miami, at Edison High during his freshman season and at Central the past three years, they laugh at the very thought that this gifted run/pass prospect will play any other position than the one he has been groomed for all of his 17 years.
[h3]BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN[/h3] [h3][email protected][/h3]
His friends told him to go to law school.

Mark Whipple preferred X's and O's to torts and trusts.

``I liked football a lot better than I liked class,'' said Whipple, the University of Miami's new offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and assistant head coach. ``My grades were good. They were real good. But they weren't quite Ivy League material. For me, it has been athletics -- football, really -- that has had everything to do with my life.''

Whipple, 52, a former Ivy League quarterback at Brown, has been a winner at every program he touched -- from his all-state quarterbacking days for the Phoenix Camelback High School 1974 state champions to his head-coaching days for Massachusetts, the national champion of Division I-AA, to his NFL days in Pittsburgh grooming quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Whipple didn't need to go to law school. His mind, as much as his athletic prowess, has served him well with what he loves most. In 27 years of coaching, he has championships at every level, including the 2005 Super Bowl, to prove it. But at 8 a.m. Saturday, Whipple's past glories will give way to a more pressing matter: ``Finding a way to get one more point than Florida State,'' he said.

Fall camp begins for the unranked Hurricanes on Saturday, and it's Whipple's intention to make the 2009 UM team, which opens the season Labor Day night at Florida State, good enough to score more points than the top-20 Seminoles.

``We play Florida State on a Monday night,'' Whipple said. ``Honestly, there's nothing else. You can't get to the second game unless you get to the first.'' That's it. Opponent by opponent. One down, then another. Whipple said he has no broad goals other than to defeat his next opponent, week by week.

``Mark Whipple is one of the smartest offensive minds I've ever met,'' said Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas High School coach George Smith, whose Raiders are the consensus reigning national champions and ranked No. 1 this preseason. Smith and Whipple have known each other for several years, introduced through recruiting. Whipple's youngest of two sons, 15-year-old Austin, is expected to be the Raiders' junior varsity quarterback.

Spencer Whipple, 20, will be a third-year sophomore quarterback at dad's former UMass. Austin will be a sophomore at St. Thomas.

`HIGH-CLASS GUY'

``He's going to be very good,'' Smith said of Austin. ``He's smart and he's nice, which you'd expect. Mark Whipple is a high-class guy.

``We had seven guys play at UMass when Mark was head coach there. The kids loved him. They felt he was fair, but tough. And from what I hear from [UM receiver] Leonard Hankerson, who worked with him through the spring, he feels exactly the same way.''

Whipple's last coaching stint in 2008 was as an offensive assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles. He replaced former UM offensive coordinator Patrick Nix in late January. Nix served two seasons and was fired after UM's Emerald Bowl loss to California capped a 7-6 season. UM finished 89th overall in the NCAA's Football Bowl Subdivision -- 78th in rushing, 77th in passing and 50th in scoring.

Whipple's offenses have been anything but ho-hum. He is known for being creative, for using lots of receivers in lots of formations, for doing the unexpected -- and doing it well.

``It's a game,'' Whipple said, ``and you've got to have some fun, some laughs. I don't think anyone likes boring. I don't. In life, when you do the unexpected it's great, whether it's in a relationship or anything else. Timing is critical in offensive football, when you call a play and how you do it.''

Whipple led UMass to the 1998 national title, posting school records in points, touchdowns, total yards, passing yards, completions and first downs. As Brown's head coach, his 1997 squad set Ivy League marks for total offense. As head coach at New Haven, his 1992 team led all NCAA divisions in scoring (50.5 points per game) and total offense (587.7). Whipple's 1993 New Haven team was named Sports Illustrated's ``Best Offense in College football,'' averaging 52.5 points and 557.6 yards.

New UM defensive coordinator John Lovett and Whipple coached together as young assistants for two years at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y., and one year at Brown.

``It's great to be back together,'' Lovett said. ``I've been good friends with Mark for a long time. Besides this being a great place to coach at, having him and [special teams coordinator and tight ends coach] Joe Pannunzio here -- Joe and I coached together at Ole Miss and Auburn -- made it an easy fit.

``How good is Whip? He's going to be great. You all just wait and see. We'll hold onto the ball. We'll score some points. There's nothing else that matters.'' When asked if anything surprised him, Whipple mentioned ``the real loyal Canes fans following in South Florida. I've been recognized as much as I was in Pittsburgh. People have been great.''

He added: ``We're still in the honeymoon phase.''

His view on the UM fans, known to be merciless: ``Fanatical,'' he said. ``I've been in Philadelphia. I've been in Pittsburgh. I've been in New England. They're all good when you win.''

And if UM doesn't?

``That's Randy's problem,'' he said of coach Randy Shannon, laughing. ``Fans kill everybody. If you didn't have passion here, I wouldn't be that excited about it.''

Regarding his career, particularly whether he aspires to be an NFL head coach or coordinator, Whipple said he won't look beyond 2009.

``I've never made any moves to make another move,'' he said. ``There are great things in the NFL and there are bad things. Same with college. Everything has its problems, and everybody wants to be wanted.''

HARRIS' GROWTH

Though Shannon made it clear he does not want coordinators discussing specific players in depth, Whipple said he was encouraged by the growth and maturity of quarterback Jacory Harris. He also is impressed with the versatility of UM's running game -- ``it's very similar to the receivers position'' -- and he's excited to check out tight ends Dedrick Epps, Tervaris Johnson and newcomer Jimmy Graham.

He said the offensive line has good senior leadership and he's not concerned about the depth factor -- ``all I know is we only dressed seven in the NFL,'' he said. ``There's talent across the board. I'm not sitting here and saying we have a Heisman Trophy candidate or any first rounders. I don't know. But I'll get the players to play well and with intensity and have fun doing it.''

August 10, 2009
[h1]ACC preseason unit rankings[/h1]
Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football

MORE: ACC preview: Staying firmly on the ground

OFFENSIVE BACKFIELD

1. Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets have three of the conference's top nine returning rushers in RB Jonathan Dwyer, QB Josh Nesbitt and RB Roddy Jones. Now they're adding Anthony Allen, who rushed for a combined 1,102 yards and 20 touchdowns in two seasons at Louisville. If Nesbitt improves his passing, look out.

2. Virginia Tech: Orange Bowl MVP Darren Evans and promising redshirt freshman Ryan Williams give the Hokies dynamic tailbacks to work alongside QB Tyrod Taylor, who rushed for 738 yards last year. This combination would look much better if Taylor improved his passing accuracy.

3. N.C. State: Russell Wilson undoubtedly is the ACC's top quarterback, but the injury concerns surrounding RBs Jamelle Eugene and Toney Baker keep the Wolfpack from ranking higher.

4. North Carolina: QB T.J. Yates could emerge as an all-conference contender if he can stay healthy for an entire season. Shaun Draughn rushed for 866 yards and Ryan Houston had eight touchdown runs last season.

5. Clemson: RB C.J. Spiller is one of the ACC's most explosive players, and Jamie Harper gives him a nice running mate. But the uncertain situation at quarterback is a major concern.

6. Miami: Graig Cooper and Javarris James would form a dynamic duo at tailback if they can stay healthy. Will QB Jacory Harris' reputation as a winner in high school translate to college?

7. Florida State: RBs Jermaine Thomas, Tavares Pressley and Ty Jones have plenty of promise, but QB Christian Ponder must improve his consistency after throwing 13 interceptions and only eight touchdown passes against FBS foes last season. If he does that, the Seminoles could rank higher on this list by the end of the season.

8. Wake Forest: Riley Skinner is one of the league's top quarterbacks, but the Deacons need to sort out their running back situation. The Deacons have plenty of experienced backs, but no real standouts. Maybe Kevin Harris' EagleBank Bowl performance shows he's ready to break through.

9. Maryland: We love the big-play ability of RB Da'Rel Scott, but QB Chris Turner's inconsistency drives us bonkers.

10. Virginia: The Cavaliers are counting on converted CB Vic Hall or 2007 starter Jameel Sewell to develop into a consistent quarterback and for RB Mikell Simpson to bounce back from a disappointing season.

11. Duke: QB Thaddeus Lewis is a fourth-year starter and a legitimate all-conference candidate, but the Blue Devils' inability to run the ball over the years keeps them near the bottom of this list.

12. Boston College: The Eagles have no proven quarterback candidates. RBs Montel Harris and Josh Haden formed a nice tandem last season, but we're wondering how much of their success is due to Boston College's line.

RECEIVERS

1. N.C. State: Owen Spencer and Jarvis Williams give the Wolfpack two returning starters. Spencer is a big-play threat who came on strong late last season. The Pack also welcome back Donald Bowens, who caught 41 passes two years ago before a back injury sidelined him last season.

2. Miami: Aldarius Johnson, Thearon Collier, Laron Byrd and Travis Benjamin give Miami four wide receivers who had at least 18 catches, 228 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions last season. TE Dedrick Epps may not play because of an injury, though.

3. Virginia Tech: Danny Coale and Jarrett Boykin each caught at least 30 passes as freshmen last season. Dyrell Roberts had 17 catches in his freshman year after playing running back in high school. All three should be vastly improved as sophomores. TE Greg Boone looks to be the best player in the league at his position.

4. Boston College: Rich Gunnell has 1,482 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns over the past two seasons, while Justin Jarvis and Ifeanyi Momah each caught three touchdown passes a year ago.

5. Clemson: Jacoby Ford arguably is the best receiver in the ACC, but Clemson doesn't have any other proven wide receivers. The Tigers need a breakout season from Xavier Dye, Marquan Jones or Terrance Ashe, who combined for 12 catches last year.

6. Maryland: The Terps are confident Torrey Smith or Ronnie Tyler can have a breakthrough season and LaQuan Williams will bounce back from a foot injury that sidelined him last season. But they don't have anyone with the big-play potential of departed first-round pick Darrius Heyward-Bey.

7. Georgia Tech: The Jackets must find someone to complement All-ACC candidate Demaryius Thomas, who had 39 of the team's 74 catches last season.

8. Florida State: The Seminoles need Taiwan Easterling (30 catches for 322 yards last year) to bounce back from a ruptured Achilles tendon. They also need one of their young wide receivers (Jarmon Fortson and/or Bert Reed) to come up big.

9. Duke: Johnny Williams, Donovan Varner and Austin Kelly combined for 64 catches last season, so Thaddeus Lewis has plenty of candidates to replace the departed Eron Riley.

10. Wake Forest: QB Riley Skinner typically focuses on one guy who ends up ranking among the league leaders in receptions. Candidates to fill that role this season include Marshall Williams (26 catches for 390 yards last year) and Devon Brown (10 for 134). TE Ben Wooster is a guy to watch.

11. North Carolina: The Tar Heels have plenty of heavily recruited receivers, but they all lack experience. Greg Little, a tailback for much of last season, is the only returning wide receiver who caught a pass last season. North Carolina could rank much higher on this list by the end of the season.

12. Virginia: The departures of Kevin Ogletree and Maurice Covington leave Virginia without any wide receivers who caught more than 12 passes last season.

OFFENSIVE LINE

1. Florida State: Line coach Rick Trickett has turned Florida State's one-time Achilles' heel into its biggest strength. Rodney Hudson, an All-America candidate at guard, leads a line that returns all five starters and should help the Seminoles deliver one of the ACC's top rushing attacks.

2. Boston College: The Eagles seemingly have one of the ACC's top lines every season. C Matt Tennant and T Anthony Castonzo are legitimate All-ACC candidates leading a line with four returning starters.

3. Clemson: This line should be one of the most improved units in the entire conference. After breaking in four new starters last season, the Tigers have five returning starters on the line this season. Thomas Austin, a second-team All-ACC center last year, is moving over to guard.

4. Wake Forest: The return of Chris DeGeare after a year's absence should solidify a line that didn't give its running backs much help last season. Wake features seven linemen with a combined 116 career starts.

5. Virginia Tech: G Sergio Render is a fourth-year starter, and the Hokies also have returning starters at both tackle spots. The Hokies have new starters at center and one guard spot, which could hinder a team this run-oriented.

6. Georgia Tech: The Jackets return all five linemen who started the final four games last season, but they must improve their consistency. Georgia Tech lacks a standout lineman in the mold of departed T Andrew Gardner.

7. Virginia: Will Barker leads a line that returns four starters. The group must create more running room for an offense that averaged just 3.4 yards per carry last season.

8. Miami: Jason Fox, a senior tackle entering his fourth season as a starter, leads a line that returns three starters. G Orlando Franklin (6-7/334) has NFL size and graded out at 96 percent against Texas A&M, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech last season.

9. N.C. State: The Wolfpack have returning starters at center and at both tackle spots, but they need to do a better job of protecting QB Russell Wilson.

10. North Carolina: Third-year starter Kyle Jolly gives the Heels a solid left tackle to anchor the line, but they could struggle to replace departed starters Garrett Reynolds, Calvin Darity and Aaron Stahl.

11. Maryland: The Terps lost plenty of senior leadership in the offseason and now have just two returning starters: T Bruce Campbell and G Phil Costa.

12. Duke: The Blue Devils averaged just 3 yards per carry last season and have only two returning starters, G Kyle Hill and C Bryan Morgan.

DEFENSIVE LINE

1. Virginia Tech: E Jason Worilds is arguably the best defensive player in the conference, while John Graves and Cordarrow Thompson give the Hokies a pair of experienced tackles. The only question is whether senior Nekos Brown can step up as a pass rusher to complement Worilds.

2. North Carolina: The Tar Heels have as much depth on their line as just about anybody. UNC has four returning starters, and they all have plenty of upside. The one thing they lack is a pass rusher with Worilds' track record.

3. Clemson: The Tigers could have quite a pass rush if E Da'Quan Bowers meets expectations and E Ricky Sapp stays healthy. Kevin Alexander gives Clemson a third quality end, and NT Jarvis Jenkins is a returning starter.

4. N.C. State: E Willie Young struggles with consistency, but he's one of the nation's elite pass rushers when he's on his game. Young, Alan-Michael Cash, Shea McKeen and Leroy Burgess give the Wolfpack four senior starters on the line, though depth is a concern.

5. Miami: The return of T Allen Bailey and E Eric Moncur from injuries that knocked them out for most of 2008 should give this line a serious upgrade. The Hurricanes desperately need to improve a run defense that ranked at the bottom of the ACC last season.

6. Wake Forest: Boo Robinson and John Russell form the best tackle duo in the ACC, but the Demon Deacons need to find someone who can rush the passer from the edge. Maybe Kyle Wilber develops into that guy.

7. Florida State: The Seminoles have plenty of experienced tackles and should get even stronger at that spot with the arrival of five-star prospect Jacobbi McDaniel. But they don't have a pass rusher who can come close to matching the production of departed second-round pick Everette Brown.

8. Virginia: NT Nick Jenkins and E Matt Conrath return after earning starting jobs as freshmen last season. Virginia must upgrade a run defense that ranked 10th in the ACC last season.

9. Boston College: The return of E Alex Albright from a neck injury should stabilize the pass rush, but the Eagles are going to have a hard time replacing first-round pick B.J. Raji and second-round pick Ron Brace in the interior.

10. Georgia Tech: A lack of experience with this unit could prevent Georgia Tech from living up to expectations. E Derrick Morgan is the only returning starter on the line, and the Jackets don't have any clear-cut starters at tackle.

11. Duke: T Vince Oghobaase and E Ayanga Okpokowuruk have combined for 58 starts. They will try to upgrade a defense that ranked 11th in the ACC against the run last season.

12. Maryland: The Terps' lack of experience and depth here is enough of a concern that redshirt freshman A.J. Francis is currently listed as a starter at nose tackle.

LINEBACKERS

1. North Carolina: Quan Sturdivant and Bruce Carter are back after combining for 190 tackles, seven sacks and three interceptions last season. The Tar Heels also believe first-year starter Zach Brown has a chance to be special.

2. Clemson: Kavell Conner, Brandon Maye and Scotty Cooper return after combining for 240 tackles last season. The Tigers' depth at linebacker allowed them to move DeAndre McDaniel to strong safety.

3. Virginia Tech: The Hokies have plenty of promising linebackers. Cody Grimm recorded 14 tackles for loss while making just one start last season. Cam Martin returns as a fifth-year senior, while Barquell Rivers showed his potential with a big Orange Bowl performance last season.

4. Miami: Sean Spence, the top freshman defensive player in the ACC last season, should make the leap to stardom this season. Fifth-year senior Darryl Sharpton provides leadership and maturity for a young defense, and Colin McCarthy could be a huge contributor if he manages to stay healthy.

5. Florida State: The Seminoles lose their top two tacklers from last season (Derek Nicholson and Toddrick Verdell), but they may actually be stronger. Dekoda Watson has star potential, Kendall Smith has shown plenty of promise and former five-star prospect Nigel Bradham could have a breakthrough sophomore season. The lack of depth is a concern in the wake of Vince Williams' season-ending injury.

6. Georgia Tech: The Jackets return four linebackers who started multiple games last season. There aren't any stars in this group, but there are plenty of solid players with experience.

7. Maryland: Alex Wujciak is the top returning tackler in the ACC and Adrian Moten also is a fine player, but the Terps otherwise lack depth and experience at this spot.

8. N.C. State: Ray Michel returns after recording a team-high 102 tackles. Michel and Nate Irving would have formed arguably the top linebacker tandem in the ACC if Irving hadn't been involved in a car wreck this summer that jeopardized his status for the season.

9. Boston College: The loss of Mark Herzlich is a devastating blow that puts even more pressure on Mike McLaughlin to have a successful return from an Achilles injury he suffered this spring. We're only rating the Eagles this high because we're counting on McLaughlin making a fast recovery.

10. Virginia: Denzel Burrell is the only returning starter as Virginia attempts to withstand the departures of star performers Jon Copper, Clint Sintim and Antonio Appleby.

11. Duke: Vincent Rey has recorded more than 100 tackles in each of the past two seasons, but the Blue Devils don't have an adequate replacement for departed All-ACC performer Michael Tauiliili.

12. Wake Forest: Last season, Wake Forest had Butkus Award winner Aaron Curry in its linebacking corps. This season, the Deacons don't have a returning starter at linebacker.

SECONDARY

1. Virginia Tech: The Hokies have so much talent here that they should withstand the departure of All-America CB Victor "Macho" Harris. CB Stephan Virgil picked off six passes last year, while Kam Chancellor and Dorian Porch form the ACC's top safety tandem. The only question is at the second cornerback spot, but the Hokies have plenty of confidence in first-year starter Rashad Carmichael.

2. Clemson: Chris Chancellor and Crezdon Butler give Clemson one of the top cornerback duos in the nation, and we're betting DeAndre McDaniel makes a seamless transition to strong safety after recording 77 tackles as a linebacker last season.

3. Georgia Tech: All-America SS Morgan Burnett leads a secondary that returns three starters. The Jackets only have to replace departed CB Jahi Word-Daniels, and they already learned to play without him when he sat out the second half of the 2008 season with a hamstring injury.

4. Boston College: Roderick Rollins, DeLeon Gause and Wes Davis each made at least six starts last season for a secondary that helped BC rank seventh in the nation in pass efficiency defense. The Eagles picked off 26 passes last season to tie Florida for the NCAA lead.

5. Virginia: The Cavaliers had enough depth here to move Vic Hall from cornerback to quarterback. Chris Cook returns after a year-long layoff to team up All-ACC candidate Ras-I Dowling and Chase Minnifield at cornerback. SS Corey Mosley started nine games as a freshman last season.

6. North Carolina: The Tar Heels have three returning starters in the secondary, but the one guy who left - All-America SS Trimane Goddard - could prove tough to replace.

7. Florida State: If CB Patrick Robinson regains his '07 form, he could challenge for All-ACC or even All-America honors. The Seminoles also return FS Jamie Robinson, but they have plenty of questions elsewhere in the secondary.

8. Maryland: The Terps have plenty of experience here with the return of FS Terrell Skinner, CB Anthony Wiseman and the versatile Jamari McCullough, who can play any position in the secondary.

9. Miami: The Hurricanes have such a rich tradition of producing ball-hawking defenders that it's hard to believe they went the entire 2008 season with only four interceptions. The return of S Randy Phillips from a leg injury could shore up the secondary.

10. Wake Forest: CB Brandon Ghee has made 22 career starts, but he's the only returning starter in a secondary that must replace ACC career interceptions leader Alphonso Smith.

11. N.C. State: The Wolfpack ranked 11th in the ACC in pass efficiency defense last season. They could improve if injury-riddled safeties Clem Johnson and Javon Walker can stay healthy.

12. Duke: CB Leon Wright and FS Catron Gainey are returning starters attempting to prevent Duke from ranking last in the ACC in pass efficiency defense again this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

1. Miami: Matt Bosher went 18-of-20 on field-goal attempts and averaged 40.4 yards per punt last season. Travis Benjamin ranked 25th in the nation in punt-return average last season.

2. N.C. State: Josh Czajkowski returns as the Wolfpack's kicker after going 16-of-19 on field-goal attempts last season. T.J. Graham ranked fifth in the ACC in kickoff-return average last year. Chris Ward and Jeff Ruiz are competing for the punting job.

3. Maryland: Travis Baltz led the ACC with an average of 41.1 yards per punt last season, while Torrey Smith ranked 22nd in the nation in kickoff-return average. The uncertainty comes at kicker, with Mike Barbour and Nick Wallace are competing for the job.

4. Duke: Nick Maggio went 11-of-14 on field-goal attempts and Kevin Jones averaged 40.8 yards per punt last season.

5. Clemson: C.J. Spiller and Jacoby Ford have the potential to score on just about any return. Spencer Benton likely takes over as Clemson's kicker this year. Dawson Zimmerman punted in three games last season and should have the job to himself this season.

6. Virginia Tech: The Hokies were uncharacteristically shaky on special teams last season, particularly on punt coverage. Fifth-year senior Matt Waldron is the likely replacement at kicker. Brent Bowden averaged 40.4 yards per punt last season.

7. North Carolina: Casey Barth was 10-of-14 on field-goal attempts, with a long of 42, last season. The Tar Heels likely will hand the punting duties to walk-on Grant Schallock. Bruce Carter led the nation with five blocked kicks last season.

8. Florida State: Dustin Hopkins - the top kicking prospect in the 2009 recruiting class - has the unenviable task of replacing Lou Groza Award winner Graham Gano. Shawn Powell averaged 41.1 yards per punt last season before giving way to Gano.

9. Boston College: Steve Aponavicius went 14-of-21 on field-goal attempts last season but didn't make anything from beyond 36 yards. Ryan Quigley averaged 39.6 yards per punt last season.

10. Wake Forest: The Deacons will sorely miss the departed Sam Swank, one of the nation's top combination kicker-punters. Shane Popham went 7-for-12 on field-goal attempts and averaged 39.2 yards per punt while replacing an injured Swank last season.

11. Virginia: The kicking job will go to either Chris Hinkebein (no career attempts) or Robert Randolph (3-for-4 on field goals). Jimmy Howell averaged 39 yards per punt last season.

12. Georgia Tech: Scott Blair went 12-of-19 on field-goal attempts - including 0-for-6 from at least 40 yards - and averaged only 38.9 yards per punt last season. Georgia Tech's special teams breakdowns played a big role in its one-sided Chick-fil-A Bowl loss to LSU.

COACHING STAFFS

1. Virginia Tech: The Hokies' ability to win the ACC title with so many apparent holes in their depth chart last season was a testament to this staff's expertise.

2. Wake Forest: Georgia fans may disagree, but Jim Grobe just might be the best active head coach who never has participated in a national championship game.

3. Georgia Tech: Paul Johnson proved last season that his option attack can work anywhere, and Tech's defense did just fine without coordinator Jon Tenuta - the most heralded member of former coach Chan Gailey's staff.

4. North Carolina: Butch Davis certainly knows how to recruit talented players and talented assistants, but the Tar Heels' late-season struggles against North Carolina State and West Virginia kept us from ranking this staff a spot or two higher.

5. Florida State: Legendary coach Bobby Bowden may be a bit past his prime, but it's hard to argue with the results offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher and offensive line coach Rick Trickett delivered last season.

6. N.C. State: The Wolfpack's late-season surges the past two seasons have shown that Tom O'Brien's guys never stop playing for him. Now he just needs them to start playing better early in the season.

7. Maryland: Ralph Friedgen has won 64 percent of his games at Maryland and has one of the ACC's most dynamic offensive coordinators in James Franklin. The arrival of new coordinator Don Brown should spark the defense.

8. Duke: David Cutcliffe had success at Ole Miss - albeit with Eli Manning as his quarterback - and wasted no time making Duke competitive again with its conference foes.

9. Virginia: The arrivals of former head coaches Gregg Brandon and Ron Prince should fortify Virginia's staff, though coach Al Groh could be spreading himself too thin by becoming his own defensive coordinator.

10. Clemson: Coach Dabo Swinney remains unproven, but he did have some success in an interim role last season. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele did outstanding work in his previous stops at Florida State and Alabama.

11. Miami: Third-year coach Randy Shannon has upgraded the team's discipline, but the Hurricanes' win-loss record still needs improvement. The Hurricanes also need more continuity: Miami is on its third defensive coordinator and second offensive coordinator since Shannon took over the program.

12. Boston College: Frank Spaziani was one of the nation's most underrated defensive coordinators, but how will he fare as a first-time head coach at the age of 62? Bill McGovern is a first-time Football Bowl Subdivision defensive coordinator, and 69-year-old offensive coordinator Gary Tranquill has been away from college football the past three seasons.

August 10, 2009
[h1]ACC's best stay firmly on the ground[/h1]
Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football

MORE: ACC preseason unit rankings
conhead_howtheyfinish_30.jpg

Atlantic Division

1. Florida State [ Team Preview ]

2. Clemson [ Team Preview ]

3. N.C. State [ Team Preview ]

4. Wake Forest [ Team Preview ]

5. Maryland [ Team Preview ]

6. Boston College [ Team Preview ]

Coastal Division

1. Virginia Tech [ Team Preview ]

2. Georgia Tech [ Team Preview ]

3. North Carolina [ Team Preview ]

4. Miami [ Team Preview ]

5. Virginia [ Team Preview ]

6. Duke [ Team Preview ]

Championship game: Virginia Tech over Florida State
Last season, just about every team in the ACC was in the running. This year, it seems like every team in the ACC will be running.
The ACC returns eight of its top nine rushers from last season and has only one receiver (Clemson's Jacoby Ford) who caught as many as 50 passes or compiled as many as 700 receiving yards last season. Add in that the ACC has an abundance of talented cornerbacks, and it's easy to understand why so many ACC teams will be running the ball this season.

Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech - the two top teams in the conference - reflect the ACC's run-oriented trend. Georgia Tech ran the ball 80 percent of the time last season and boasted the nation's fourth-ranked rushing offense, while Virginia Tech won its second consecutive ACC title while throwing just six touchdown passes last season.

The Hokies open the 2009 season as favorites to win a third consecutive ACC title. Virginia Tech was seventh in the USA Today coaches' preseason poll; no other ACC team is ranked inside the top 15.

But the rest of the league features enough balance that it wouldn't come as much of a surprise if the ACC again sent 10 of its 12 teams to bowls. The conference features so much balance that two-time defending Atlantic Division champion Boston College was picked in the ACC media's preseason poll to finish last this season.

THE PLAYERS
[table][tr][td]
JONATHANDWYER250_1210.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jonathan Dwyer is the muscle behind Georgia Tech's option attack.[/td] [/tr][/table]BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER: Georgia Tech RB Jonathan Dwyer. The ACC features plenty of outstanding running backs, but Dwyer is the best of the bunch. Dwyer, a junior who is the reigning ACC player of the year, led the league with 1,395 rushing yards last season and was the only player in the conference to average at least 100 rushing yards per game. Dwyer rushed for at least 100 yards in each of Georgia Tech's final four regular-season games last season, which bodes well for his 2009 prospects.
BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER: Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds. Since Boston College LB Mark Herzlich had to give football a rest while recovering from Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare form of cancer, Worilds assumes the mantle as the ACC's top defensive star. Worilds recorded eight sacks and ranked second in the league with 18.5 tackles for loss last season. He delivered one sack in each of his final six regular-season games before sitting out the Orange Bowl with an injured left shoulder.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER ON THE SPOT: Virginia Tech QB Tyrod Taylor. Virginia Tech's chances of emerging as a serious national title contender depend on whether Taylor makes the leap to stardom as a junior. While it's tough to knock a guy who has helped his team win back-to-back ACC titles, Taylor must improve his passing ability and become a more complete player. Taylor threw seven interceptions and only two touchdown passes last season. If Taylor becomes a more effective passer, the Hokies could be playing for more than a conference championship at the end of the season.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON THE SPOT: Florida State CB Patrick Robinson. After picking off six passes in 2007, Robinson endured a disappointing season in '08. He rebounded with an outstanding spring performance, as he received the top grade in every category among FSU defensive backs and was named the defensive MVP. The Seminoles need a big season from Robinson because he's their only proven cornerback. If Robinson regains his 2007 form, the Seminoles have an excellent chance of winning the Atlantic Division. If he delivers a repeat performance of his '08 season, they could struggle in the secondary all season.

PLAYER WITH THE BIGGEST SHOES TO FILL: Wake Forest LB Jonathan Jones. Jones, a fifth-year senior, gets the first opportunity to replace Butkus Award winner Aaron Curry as the Demon Deacons' strongside linebacker. Curry had 105 tackles for Wake Forest last season before the Seattle Seahawks selected him with the fourth overall pick in the NFL draft. Jones arrived at Wake Forest as a wide receiver and played safety before backing up Curry at linebacker last season.

BREAKOUT OFFENSIVE STAR: Florida State RB Jermaine Thomas. After averaging 7 yards per carry while backing up Antone Smith last season as a freshman, Thomas steps into a starting role this year. Thomas showed his potential by averaging more than 12 yards per carry in spring scrimmages. He also has the luxury of running behind the ACC's top line. If Thomas doesn't reach the 1,000-yard mark this season, it will be because offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher likes to have multiple backs share carries.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
DAQUANBOWERS250_0901.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Da'Quan Bowers is poised for a breakout season.[/td] [/tr][/table]BREAKOUT DEFENSIVE STAR: Clemson E DaQuan Bowers. After arriving at Clemson as the No. 2 national prospect in the 2008 recruiting class, Bowers delivered eight tackles for loss - but only one sack - as a true freshman. Expect those numbers to go up quite a bit this season. Bowers showed hints of his enormous upside when he delivered three tackles for loss in a Gator Bowl loss to Nebraska. If he builds on that late-season momentum, Bowers should team with former Bamberg-Ehrhardt (S.C.) High School teammate Ricky Sapp to give Clemson quite a pass-rushing tandem.
BEST OFFENSIVE NEWCOMER: Boston College QB Dave Shinskie. The Minnesota Twins drafted this former two-sport athlete in the fourth round in 2003, but he couldn't make it into the major leagues as a pitcher. He decided to give football another try and arrived at BC this summer as a quarterback. Shinskie, 25, has an excellent chance of opening the season as the Eagles' starting quarterback following the departure of Dominique Davis, though he still must beat out Codi Boek, Justin Tuggle and Michael Marscovetra. You also should keep an eye on North Carolina WR Joshua Adams, a true freshman who enrolled in time for spring practice and has won raves. UNC needs some newcomers to emerge as it attempts to replace departed WRs Hakeem Nicks, Brandon Tate and Brooks Foster.

BEST DEFENSIVE NEWCOMER: Maryland LB Demetrius Hartsfield. Hartsfield, a redshirt freshman, heads into summer camp as the Terrapins' starting weakside linebacker. Maryland defensive coordinator Don Brown has called Hartsfield one of the Terps' most improved players. North Carolina State redshirt freshman LB Terrell Manning and Florida State freshman T Jacobbi McDaniel are other newcomers who could have major roles.

MOST OVERRATED PLAYER: North Carolina DT Marvin Austin. Austin, a junior who is a former five-star prospect, delivered just one sack and 1.5 tackles for loss last season, yet he still was one of only two defensive tackles selected to the media's preseason All-ACC team. Austin still could develop into an outstanding player, but right now he's being rewarded more on potential than actual production.

MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER: Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott. The ACC's wealth of outstanding running backs has allowed Scott to slip under the radar. Clemson has launched a Heisman campaign for C.J. Spiller. Georgia Tech's Dwyer is the reigning ACC player of the year. Virginia Tech's Darren Evans was named the Orange Bowl MVP last season. In the meantime, Scott quietly has emerged as one of the nation's most explosive runners. Scott rushed for 1,133 yards and eight touchdowns while averaging 5.4 yards per carry last season.

THE COACHES

COACH ON THE HOTTEST SEAT: Virginia's Al Groh. Virginia emerged as the ACC's biggest surprise by going 9-4 in 2007, but the Cavaliers followed that up with a 5-7 season that made them one of only two conference teams that failed to earn a bowl bid. Groh responded by hiring former Bowling Green coach Gregg Brandon, a spread proponent, as offensive coordinator. Brandon replaces Groh's son, Mike, who resigned after the Cavaliers averaged just 16.1 points per game last season. If the Cavaliers have another losing season, they might have a new coach next season.

BEST COACHING STAFF: Virginia Tech. The stability of Frank Beamer's staff has allowed Virginia Tech to become the ACC's dominant program. Beamer is an outstanding coach in his own right, but he also has an exceptional crew of assistants. Bud Foster arguably is the best defensive coordinator in the nation. Running backs coach Billy Hite is entering his 32nd season at Virginia Tech. Quarterback coach Mike O'Cain has ACC head-coaching experience. Offensive coordinator Bryan Stinespring received plenty of criticism last season, but give him credit for realizing what his offense did best and relying on the rushing attack late in the season.

BEST OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR: Florida State's Jimbo Fisher. The Seminoles didn't improve much on offense in Fisher's first season on the job in 2007, but they made huge strides in Fisher's second season. Florida State ranked 22nd in the nation in scoring - up from 90th the previous season - and trailed only Georgia Tech among ACC teams in total offense. The Seminoles also finally have established an offensive identity as a team that can run the ball effectively.

conhead_tenbestgames_30.jpg

Alabama vs. Virginia Tech at Atlanta, Sept. 5

Florida State at BYU, Sept. 19

TCU at Clemson, Sept. 26

Miami at Virginia Tech, Sept. 26

Oklahoma at Miami, Oct. 3

Georgia Tech at Florida State, Oct. 10

Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech, Oct. 17

North Carolina at Virginia Tech, Oct. 29

Florida State at Clemson, Nov. 7

Florida State at Florida, Nov. 28
BEST DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR: Virginia Tech's Bud Foster. He has helped Virginia Tech rank in the top 10 in total defense and scoring defense each of the past five seasons. Foster may have done the best work of his career last season, as Virginia Tech replaced seven starters from the '07 defense and still finished seventh in the nation in total defense and ninth in scoring defense.
THE GAMES

GAME OF THE YEAR: Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech, Oct. 17. These are probably the two best teams in the conference. Their showdown in Atlanta likely will determine who represents the Coastal Division in the ACC championship game. Georgia Tech QB Josh Nesbitt rushed for 151 yards in last season's game, but the Hokies capitalized on three takeaways to win 20-17 in Blacksburg.

TOUGHEST SCHEDULE: Miami. Florida State and Virginia Tech also have tough schedules this season, but Miami's season-opening gauntlet puts the Hurricanes over the top. Miami travels to Florida State, plays host to Georgia Tech, visits Virginia Tech and plays host to Oklahoma in its first four games. The Hurricanes have as good a chance of going 0-4 as they do of opening 3-1. And why in the world did Miami ever agree to play state foes USF and UCF on the road - in the same season ?

EASIEST SCHEDULE: Duke. The Blue Devils play two games against Football Championship Subdivision (i.e., Division I-AA) schools, though one of them is against defending national champion Richmond. Duke also has a likely non-conference victory at Army to go along with a much trickier trip to Kansas. Duke's Atlantic Division schedule doesn't include Florida State or Clemson, the teams we expect to battle for the Atlantic title.

MOST EMBARRASSING GAME: Northeastern at Boston College, Sept. 5. While it's nice to see Boston College agreeing to play a local rival, even an FCS school, anyone without a rooting interest has no reason to watch this game. Northeastern has won a total of 12 games over the past four seasons. North Carolina Central probably is the weakest FCS opponent on any ACC team's schedule. The difference is that North Carolina Central plays Duke, the perennial Coastal Division cellar-dweller. Boston College, a two-time defending Atlantic Division champion, shouldn't play an FCS program picked to finish fifth in a six-team division.

conhead_rivpreallconteam_30.jpg

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]FIRST TEAM OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Russell Wilson, N.C. State, 5-11/208, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech, 6-0/235, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]C.J. Spiller, Clemson, 5-11/195, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Jacoby Ford, Clemson, 5-10/185, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech, 6-3/229, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Greg Boone, Virginia Tech, 6-3/287, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Anthony Castonzo, Boston College, 6-7/287, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Jason Fox, Miami, 6-7/314, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Thomas Austin, Clemson, 6-3/315, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Rodney Hudson, Florida State, 6-2/283, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Matt Tennant, Boston College, 6-4/294, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FIRST TEAM DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech, 6-2/240, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Vince Oghobaase, Duke, 6-6/300, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Boo Robinson, Wake Forest, 6-2/295, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Willie Young, N.C. State, 6-4/250, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Sean Spence, Miami, 6-0/212, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina, 6-2/235, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Dekoda Watson, Florida State, 6-2/228, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Kendric Burney, North Carolina, 5-9/185, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Stephan Virgil, Virginia Tech, 5-11/189, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech, 6-4/226, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, 6-1/210, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FIRST TEAM SPECIALISTS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Matt Bosher, Miami, 6-0/205, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Travis Baltz, Maryland, 6-2/200, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]C.J. Spiller, Clemson, 5-11/195, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]Travis Benjamin, Miami, 5-10/175, Soph.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]SECOND TEAM OFFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]QB[/td] [td]Riley Skinner, Wake Forest, 6-1/210, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Darren Evans, Virginia Tech, 6-0/213, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RB[/td] [td]Da'Rel Scott, Maryland, 5-11/200, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Rich Gunnell, Boston College, 5-11/196, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WR[/td] [td]Owen Spencer, N.C. State, 6-3/185, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TE[/td] [td]Ben Wooster, Wake Forest, 6-5/235, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Will Barker, Virginia, 6-7/320, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Ed Wang, Virginia Tech, 6-5/301, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Cord Howard, Georgia Tech, 6-5/300, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G[/td] [td]Sergio Render, Virginia Tech, 6-3/319, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C[/td] [td]Ryan McMahon, Florida State, 6-3/282, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SECOND TEAM DEFENSE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Alex Albright, Boston College, 6-5/245, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]John Russell, Wake Forest, 6-4/280, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]T[/td] [td]Cordarrow Thompson, Va. Tech, 6-2/308, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E[/td] [td]Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech, 6-4/275, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Kavell Conner, Clemson, 6-1/225, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Cody Grimm, Virginia Tech, 5-11/202, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LB[/td] [td]Alex Wujciak, Maryland, 6-3/255, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Chris Chancellor, Clemson, 5-10/165, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CB[/td] [td]Ras-I Dowling, Virginia, 6-2/200, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FS[/td] [td]Deunta Williams, North Carolina, 6-2/210, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SS[/td] [td]Dorian Porch, Virginia Tech, 5-11/212, Sr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]SECOND TEAM SPECIALISTS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]K[/td] [td]Josh Czajkowski, N.C. State, 5-9/184, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P[/td] [td]Kevin Jones, Duke, 6-3/200, Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]KR[/td] [td]Torrey Smith, Maryland, 6-1/200, Soph.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PR[/td] [td]C.J. Spiller, Clemson, 5-11/195, Sr.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
Steve Megargee is a national writer for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

Back
Top Bottom