2010 Nike Vomero 5

Jeffgdula: How is the cushioning compared to the 4's? You said that it's firmer on the forefoot, how is the heel? and generally speaking do you find them as soft? softer?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gggggas

Jeffgdula: How is the cushioning compared to the 4's? You said that it's firmer on the forefoot, how is the heel? and generally speaking do you find them as soft? softer?

Thanks!
Hard to say.  I haven't run in them yet.  The cushioning isn't completely different or anything.  The most noticeable thing to me as that they just don't fit my foot nearly as well as the 4s (or even 3s or 2s)

I am still disappointed in these. I have bought and or tried on over 10 pairs now and they just don't fit well. If I'd have thought they were gonna mess up the 4s this bad, I wouldn't have sold a bunch of mine.

I am still disappointed in these. I have bought and or tried on over 10 pairs now and they just don't fit well. If I'd have thought they were gonna mess up the 4s this bad, I wouldn't have sold a bunch of mine.

Originally Posted by jeffgdula

Since the Vomero 5's are not available yet in my country Greece and by reading your thoughts and impressions, I find the 4's perfect on all aspects  thus I don't have the feeling that my feelings won't change for the 5's. I have a pair of 4's that sooner or later are retiring and my final answer is probably going to be another pair of 4's. I just wan't to give the 5's a try before reassuring myself
tongue.gif

For me, the Vomero 5's feel light and very soft/springy/pillowy (is that a word?). My only problem with them was that the heel transition with the medial and lateral side of the heel felt a bit out of concert. The heel crash pad is very soft, but the transition to the medial side of the heel was a bit jolty and didn't have a smooth flowy feel to it.

Originally Posted by Sole Investigator

For me, the Vomero 5's feel light and very soft/springy/pillowy (is that a word?). My only problem with them was that the heel transition with the medial and lateral side of the heel felt a bit out of concert. The heel crash pad is very soft, but the transition to the medial side of the heel was a bit jolty and didn't have a smooth flowy feel to it.

Do you also have the Vomero 4's? If so can you give us you opinion on a head to head comparison?

Originally Posted by Gggggas

Do you also have the Vomero 4's? If so can you give us you opinion on a head to head comparison?

I do not own the Vomero 4's, but I have tried them on. Since I can only speak from the brief time I walked around in them, I felt that the 4's had a better and smoother heel transition compared to what I described above with the 5's.

Everything else felt about the same, but then again I only tried the 4's on for a short amount of time. Hope that helps.

from the other thread

Spring 2010 CWs:

NIKE ZOOM VOMERO+ 5 395768 040 WOLF GREY/BLUE SPARK/METALLIC SILVER/BLACK
NIKE ZOOM VOMERO+ 5 395768 070 DARK GREY/VLTGE YELLOW II//BLACK
NIKE ZOOM VOMERO+ 5 395768 106 WHITE/SPORT RED/METALLIC SILVER/BLACK

Gggggas wrote:

I run a few thousand miles per year and I do a lot of my long, slow runs in Vomeros.  I remember receiving the 5's and after wearing them twice thinking, "Wow, they finally got it right." 

Compared with the 4's:
The toe box has room without being boxy and loose. 
The lacing structure runs naturally down the top of my foot instead of locking down more in some places than others. 
The build feels more balanced underfoot and not so medially and laterally overbuilt. 
The chunk cut away from the outer heel on the 5's is deeper at at a greater angle than on the 4's.  For many people (including myself) this works very well.  

In general, I would say that the 5 handles like a much smaller shoe than the 4 while retaining all of the cushioning and support.  (For the record, I went through a few pair of 4's and they always felt like the upper of a running shoe had been built onto some clunky tank treads.)  And while I've used Vomeros 2-4 for quite a while, I've always had a few small gripes specific to my foot, stride, etc.  Besides all the points mentioned above, my individial misgivings have all be addressed wonderfully in the Vomero 5.  I don't think I have ever been so pleased with an update than I was in going from 4's to 5's.

And on the personal, it's interesting that many of the things that JeffGDula didn't like were the exact things that I think make the 5's so much better than the 4's.  That is in no way criticism, I just find it interesting.  This may be a wonderful example of why people should be properly fitted at a dedicated running store (Footlocker is not a running store) and not rely entirely upon on anonymous reviews. 

Boilermaker,
Would you recommend the Vomero for marathon training?  i'm running the chicago in october... using the pegasus now and lunartrainers for speed work, but will need a new pair at some point as well before october. thanks for your thoughts!

Boilermaker,
Would you recommend the Vomero for marathon training?  i'm running the chicago in october... using the pegasus now and lunartrainers for speed work, but will need a new pair at some point as well before october. thanks for your thoughts!

i would recommend the vomero for marathon training for sure. just make sure, as boilermaker stated, you get fitted at a true running store. they will use many factors in helping you pick the correct shoe for you. i love vomeos. they have got me thru 4 marathons and 1 ironman distance triathlon. good luck on the chicago Ozz.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Gggggas wrote:

I run a few thousand miles per year and I do a lot of my long, slow runs in Vomeros.  I remember receiving the 5's and after wearing them twice thinking, "Wow, they finally got it right." 

Compared with the 4's:
The lacing structure runs naturally down the top of my foot instead of locking down more in some places than others. 
The build feels more balanced underfoot and not so medially and laterally overbuilt. 
The chunk cut away from the outer heel on the 5's is deeper at at a greater angle than on the 4's.  For many people (including myself) this works very well.  

In general, I would say that the 5 handles like a much smaller shoe than the 4 while retaining all of the cushioning and support.  (For the record, I went through a few pair of 4's and they always felt like the upper of a running shoe had been built onto some clunky tank treads.)  And while I've used Vomeros 2-4 for quite a while, I've always had a few small gripes specific to my foot, stride, etc.  Besides all the points mentioned above, my individial misgivings have all be addressed wonderfully in the Vomero 5.  I don't think I have ever been so pleased with an update than I was in going from 4's to 5's.

And on the personal, it's interesting that many of the things that JeffGDula didn't like were the exact things that I think make the 5's so much better than the 4's.  That is in no way criticism, I just find it interesting.  This may be a wonderful example of why people should be properly fitted at a dedicated running store (Footlocker is not a running store) and not rely entirely upon on anonymous reviews.        
Couldn't agree more.  I use Luke's Locker in Fort Worth and RunTex in Austin.

The more I have worn them, the more I like them.  If my toes weren't so wide, I may even prefer them to the 4s.  It took 8 pairs (or more) of Vomero 5s to find one that really felt good on my foot.  Every pairs of 4s I tried on felt like they were made for me.

Ozz26 wrote:
Boilermaker,
Without knowing the specifics of you and your training plans it's obviously difficult to say definitively, but if it works for your foot I probably can't think of a much better all-around shoe for general marathon training.  I rotate between a few different shoes for different workouts but I put on a lot of miles in Vomeros.  See you in Chicago! 

Originally Posted by jeffgdula

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Gggggas wrote:

Compared with the 4's:

Couldn't agree more.  I use Luke's Locker in Fort Worth and RunTex in Austin.

The more I have worn them, the more I like them.  If my toes weren't so wide, I may even prefer them to the 4s.  It took 8 pairs (or more) of Vomero 5s to find one that really felt good on my foot.  Every pairs of 4s I tried on felt like they were made for me.

What a great input from Boilermaker X. Along with Jeffgdula I couldn't agree more with you. 
I am really glad to hear that the 5 feel now great for you too Jeff. Can't wait to run in mine soon
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom