2011 another great year for college football

I don't think RGIII  is winning, but he should. 
If Mathieu is even a finalist that's proof enough to me that the Heisman voters are idiots. Not even Eric Berry or Patrick Peterson were Heisman finalists and dude is in there off of 2 INTs and 1.5 sacks.
laugh.gif
 Idiots put a damn punt returner in over Barkley...who had better numbers than Luck. (Who will probably win just off the Andrew Luck hype even though he played NOBODY and had his worst game in the biggest game.) 

Everything about the college football postseason is becoming a joke. 
30t6p3b.gif

RGIII is winning by a landslide, Stiff arm trophy has most of the votes and Griffin has 93 percent of first place.
Oh yeah, please tell me how this theory works Luck beat USC, USC beat Oregon, Oregon Beat Stanford so Barkley better QB?
The hate you give the guy is comical. He has better stats this year playing with ZERO wideout's and suddenly he is over rated?
Get outta here, media hyped him to be something he's not, a guy who would throw for 50 TD's a year.
No way Griffin should sniff that trophy, ball deserves it.

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

I don't think RGIII  is winning, but he should. 
If Mathieu is even a finalist that's proof enough to me that the Heisman voters are idiots. Not even Eric Berry or Patrick Peterson were Heisman finalists and dude is in there off of 2 INTs and 1.5 sacks.
laugh.gif
 Idiots put a damn punt returner in over Barkley...who had better numbers than Luck. (Who will probably win just off the Andrew Luck hype even though he played NOBODY and had his worst game in the biggest game.) 

Everything about the college football postseason is becoming a joke. 
30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif

I absolutely despise all things Baylor (except for David Murphy), but even I think RG3 would top my Heisman ballot right now. I'm really not even sure it's close. I am a big fan of Montee Ball, though.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

RGIII plays QB for a team that went 9-3 with a defense who was ranked 113th.
laugh.gif
They don't play defense in the Big XII homie, this point it moot.

I'm good with RGIII, just being on a meh team just doesn't do it for me, kind of like Ricky Williams in 1998.  He deserved it, but that Texas team got rolled a couple of times. 

Luck having no receivers (not true) wasn't an issue until Matt Barkley started out playing him,
laugh.gif

You can argue who's a better QB until you are blue in the face.  Bottom line is Barkley had a better year than Luck.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

RGIII plays QB for a team that went 9-3 with a defense who was ranked 113th.
laugh.gif
They don't play defense in the Big XII homie, this point it moot.
He just shredded Texas and the #6 defense in the country though.... *shrug* 
The irony of a pac 12 fan saying another conference plays no defense....

Originally Posted by Statis22

2 picks, 6 forced fumbles, 7 pass breakups, 4 totad TDs.

I say he deserves to be there.

laugh.gif
@ that statline as a justification for being a Heisman finalist. If anything that proves even more he doesn't belong. 
A good CB totals 7 breakups and 2 picks in less than half a season. 

Only great stat is the forced fumbles....Heisman finalist off that though? N please. 

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by AndrewLuck

Luck is better than Barkley, try to spin it for me? Please. I wanna hear it.

3528 yards passing > 3170 yards passing.
39 TDs > 35 TDs.

But Luck did beat Barkley in this category...
9 interceptions > 7 interceptions

Oh, and USC beat the Pac-12 champions and won the South*. Stanford was the 2nd best team in their division.

Anything I left out?

Barkley had 73 more pass attempts on the year, yet his YPA was less despite having 358 more yards.

Allow me to come in here and eat some crow for a bit.

Beginning of the year, I had some negative things to say about Morris Claiborne, Tyrann Mathieu, the LSU secondary, and the defense in general. I was wrong.

First off, Morris Claiborne and Eric Reid are ready for the NFL. They can go, tomorrow. With some of the terrible defensive back play I've seen this year in the NFL, they could probably contribute, too. And the linebackers, who I thought would be the weak link for the defense, haven't been otherworldly, but they haven't been "weak" by any means. And I really can't say enough how well Mingo, Franklin and the other defensive lineman have saved LSU all year long. People want to talk about the "Honey Badger" but he isn't the guy pushing teams back on 3rd and short into 4th and long, putting Alabama and all these other teams in long distance field goal position (which probably won them the Alabama game). The SEC isn't as pro-level talented as it usually is this year, offensively, but these guys aren't slouches. So, to the LSU defense, I apologize.

Now, onto the newest topic of debate.

Do I think Tyrann Mathieu is a Heisman finalist? It depends. On Heisman.com, they list this first and foremost under "mission"

The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.
If that's the case, then no, Tyrann Mathieu can't win or be nominated for the Heisman, IMO. The suspension for "illegal substances" rules him out. And before you guys jump my case about Cam Newton last year, he was ruled by the SEC and NCAA to have no knowledge of all the stuff surrounding him, which is different that actually being suspended for violating a rule. So that's just me going by the rules.

With that being said, I still don't think he's a Heisman finalist for one reason.

Claiborne and the rest of the defense.

When Mathieu missed a game, LSU didn't skip a beat. Hell, Ron Brooks played pure defensive back better that game than Mathieu has most games this season. I don't think LSU NEEDS Mathieu as much as Baylor needs Griffin, Bama needs Richardson, Stanford needs Luck, Boise needs Moore, and Wisconsin needs Ball. That's my 5.

Griffin, Richardson, Luck, Moore, Ball.

I've got nothing about Mathieu as a player. Think he's a tremendous player, great nose for the ball, really fantastic athlete. But unlike most, I don't think he'll succeed at the next level as a pro (isn't that great in coverage, very very rarely covers on the outside) and I feel that his ability to create alot of those turnovers is due to the support by the rest of his team. I wish I had all this year's LSU games recorded because I've noticed that he goes for the strip a lot and doesn't get it a lot of the time... BUT he's always got another one of those ball-hawking freaks is always there to make the tackle for him. I just feel like he's a wheel in a cog. A tremendous wheel in a cog, but a wheel in a cog. With no Morris Claiborne, no Eric Reid over the top... no way he could play as reckless as he does, especially on that slot blitz. I will however say he deserves every bit of credit he gets for his ability on special teams. If anything, that's where I think he'll excel as a professional.

So yeah Matt is def coming back next year and God forgive the NCAA for the wrath the Trojans will bestow upon them

^ source?

and barkley should have been a finalist over mathieu.. especially when you consider he isn't even the best player at his own position on his own team (plus his suspension)

Barkley had 73 more pass attempts on the year, yet his YPA was less despite having 358 more yards

You realize the more pass attempts, the harder it is to maintain a high YPA right? How many USC games have you watched? A relatively high % of Barkley's passes are audibles to WR screens b/c corners play his WRs with a 10 yd cushion. This explains his lower ypa.

BFeldmanCBS Bruce Feldman
This is the 5th top 40 defense Matt Barkley has faced this year: He's got 12-2 TD-INTs in these games.

A relatively high % of Barkley's passes are audibles to WR screens b/c corners play his WRs with a 10 yd cushion.

This is the reason why his numbers don't tell the entire story of Barkley vs. Luck, I'll let you figure it out.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

A relatively high % of Barkley's passes are audibles to WR screens b/c corners play his WRs with a 10 yd cushion.

This is the reason why his numbers don't tell the entire story of Barkley vs. Luck, I'll let you figure it out.

Again, how many USC games have you watched? The majority of those WR screens gain minimal yardage with a lot of them being negative plays. They were obvious and teams adjusted. They are used to set up the running game, which Barkley didn't really have until mid-season

Barkley still throws the ball down the field -- those audibles negatively impacts his ypa / stats. Your argument is still off.

RGIII missed a whole half against Texas Tech and didn't Baylor didn't miss a beat, so there goes that argument too.

Mathieu clearly had a outstanding season.

Do you think any of the finalist had that "Heisman moment" most of the experts seem to talk about? I would give it to Mathieu if Charles Woodson didn't exist. To me Mathieu seemed to make plays that would give his team that spark they needed especially these last two weeks with the punt returns. RGIII had the comeback against OU but I feel like he should have also done it against KSU earlier this year but didn't.

#7 deserves to be there. End of discussion.

It's his big play moments that got him there. Sure he's not beat CB on his team, but his TD's against Arkansas & UGA were his Heisman moments.

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Then what are you saying?
He's saying the Big 12 doesn't play defense which they don't it's not that hard to follow if you have a semblance of reading comprehension.

Whaaaaatttt?!
eek.gif
So if I say the PAC 12touchdownspergame doesn't play defense either, what does that say about Matty Barks', who is favored by those least biased in this thread, or Luck's candidacy? Basically, only SEC or B1G (barely) players should be allowed in NYC (anywhere), right? Oh and this same defense-less Big 12 deserves a slot in the BCS NC game? Oh but that's different...

Back
Top Bottom