2011 College Football "The Real been hacked!!!!" .

400 yards in an offense that's known to gain yards on everyone and on 68 attempts
laugh.gif

Mattheiu made some nice plays aside from the pick. Had a near pick on the sideline.

Claiborne and Reid will be in the pro's no question.

400 yards in an offense that's known to gain yards on everyone and on 68 attempts
laugh.gif

Mattheiu made some nice plays aside from the pick. Had a near pick on the sideline.

Claiborne and Reid will be in the pro's no question.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Originally Posted by Caerus

Yoooo, see...I wanna go to ASU now. When they span the crowd, the amount of gorgeous females is CRAZY.

I would be in heaven
pimp.gif

Yea but based on some of things you post I feel like you might be like 15 so it prolly wouldnt be worth the trip.Newbs, if I didn't need it to pass time at work I'd cancel my scout subscription. I'm beginning to take your stance on TJB. But I do like Sam Webb and Trieu so I guess it's still worth it.
Actually, I would fit right in 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Yoooo, see...I wanna go to ASU now. When they span the crowd, the amount of gorgeous females is CRAZY.

I would be in heaven
pimp.gif

Yea but based on some of things you post I feel like you might be like 15 so it prolly wouldnt be worth the trip.Newbs, if I didn't need it to pass time at work I'd cancel my scout subscription. I'm beginning to take your stance on TJB. But I do like Sam Webb and Trieu so I guess it's still worth it.
Actually, I would fit right in 
pimp.gif

As Gunna said Cato has been pretty impressive for a freshman. 17/33 for 245 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT last week against us. And he had zero ground game to rely on as they only ran for 6 yards on the day. Bud rushed him pretty heavily hoping to force him into some bad throws and he held his own pretty well (only 1 INT) even though he got sacked a lot.

Sucks to see Reid getting in trouble
30t6p3b.gif
FSU needs him.

Even though I knew it was inevitable it still sucks to see another year where nobody in the ACC is really a contender. If we lose to Clemson I hope they keep winning to raise the profile of the league. GT has a good chance to start out 8-0 before they play Clemson and then us, but their D isn't good enough to be a contender.

Scouting Report for Clemson:

Spoiler [+]
OFFENSE: Our offensive line has had major trouble consistently picking up positive yardage in the run game even against Marshall and Ark. St. Our rushing numbers aren't bad but there are a bunch of 0 or negative yardage plays and then a few big runs to make the averages look ok. Too many breakdowns and losing the battle at the point of attack. Even when our blocking is solid, David Wilson is doing a much worse job of being patient and seeing the lanes than he was in spring and fall camp. That was the main thing he needed to develop and he looks like he's either pressing or has just regressed. It's making it harder to sustain drives and sets up bad 3rd and longs. If Clemson puts 8-9 in the box and stuffs the run, they'll force us to rely on Logan Thomas and a depleted WR corps to win the game and I don't think he's ready for that. Even when healthy the receivers have been disappointing (aside from Danny Coale) with bad drops. Boykin was out last week with a sore hamstring, Roberts is out for the year with a broken arm, and Davis sprained his foot last week. Boykin is expected back but Davis is up in the air.

Thomas has been about what you'd expect, he's completing 57% of his passes (and would be higher if not for 12 drops in the first 3 games) for 761 yds, 4 TD and 4 INT in 3-1/2 games. His yardage totals are ok, but he usually stares down his first read and doesn't go through his progressions at all even though we've given him a lot of time to throw. He's had David Wilson open on checkdowns all year and has yet to get it to him even when staring right at him. His accuracy has been pretty good overall but he's shown the tendency to just lob up a jump ball down the sidelines and hope the receiver makes a play (word to Denard against ND
laugh.gif
) instead of just checking down and keeping the drive alive. Unfortunately he often throws off his back foot when he does this so the ball ends up being thrown too far inside or short and results in a pick. He's also thrown terribly far behind guys when they're going across the field on a few occasions (throwing to the spot where the receiver is rather than leading them across the field). While 4 INT isn't terrible he's had another 2-3 dropped and I'm sure Clemson will get a couple gifts on Saturday. Our red zone offense has been terrible, as we've had a two fumbles, a couple interceptions, missed field goals, and penalties backing us up and stalling the drive. Our inability to get positive rushing yards when we need to is a big reason; we've been stuffed on 4th and 1/4th and goal against both Arkansas State and Marshall.

DEFENSE: Even though the competition has been weak overall, this looks to be the best defense we've had since 2007. Hosley has pretty much been a shutdown corner and Kyle Fuller is improving in coverage and is great against the run. Bruce Taylor slimmed down a bit and has been solid at mike. Last year's backer (Lyndell Gibson) was probably one of the worst we've ever had. He's gone and Tariq Edwards took over and has been arguably our best player on defense, leading the team in tackles. He's still unproven but looks like our best backer since Adibi. At whip Geouveia Winslow is still physically limited but hasn't been exposed as much this year because the players around him have been better (and he's not been in the game as much because we've played three teams with pass heavy offenses and have used the nickel).

The defensive line has been great so far, getting a lot of penetration up the middle and stopping the run. Both defensive ends, while starting for the first time, have been huge upgrades as pass rushers and against the run. Our starting DE's have 8 sacks combined through 4 games vs. 10 combined for all of last year. Again, take the poor competition and the fact we've played pass heavy teams into account, but we are currently 2nd in run D giving up 43 yards per game and 1.6 YPC. Those numbers will even out a bit during conference play, but we gave up 155 YPG and 4.7 YPC last year and gave up lots of yards even against bad teams, so it's good to see the improvement. Boyd's had a great year so far but Auburn's D has been porous and Wofford and Troy are weak. His play against FSU was impressive as they're pretty good even though they were missing Reid. I'll be curious to see if our secondary (32nd in pass yards, 6th in passing efficiency) will be able to neutralize Boyd at all. The crowd could be a factor since it's his first road start, but their uptempo pace will help mitigate that. Plus UNC and GT have come into Lane at night and still run their offense pretty well.

SPECIAL TEAMS: They've been awful. We're near the worst in average punting (low 30's)and there is an open competition this week for punter. Our punter got benched mid game last week and Danny Coale (WR) finished the game punting. Our kicker is 4-7 on field goals on the year and has missed from 30-40 yards and looked shaky on his makes. Wilson's had a couple nice kick returns but Hosley's done nothing on PR's. Our coverage has been solid but I'm worried about field position as we'll probably be punting pretty often. We have had a couple punt blocks on the year.

I think we'll more than likely lose a fairly close game, 24-17 or 21-13 or something. Even though Clemson's run D hasn't been great, we just haven't been able to get any push against pretty shoddy opponents and I don't see us consistently getting solid yards on the ground as Clemson's interior DL is pretty good and they probably have the speed to make the plays on Wilson outside. Thomas has a hurt left shoulder, but we will probably run him out of necessity 7-10 times on decide plays as he's good for keeping it up the middle and getting 5+ yards on those. We'll try to minimize his mistakes but he'll probably be good for an interception or two even against a young secondary. I don't think either team will be able to run the ball very well but Clemson will sustain drives with passing and hit a couple big plays to win it. We just haven't shown the ability to finish drives (even against poor competition) to make me think we'll score more than 13-17 points. On D I think Bud will focus on stopping the run as always and try to disguise coverages and bait Boyd into picks a la Russell Wilson last year. We've pressured pretty heavily and relied on man coverage the past couple games but I think Bud will be more selective in pressuring with the playmakers Clemson has that will burn you if the pressure doesn't get there.

As Gunna said Cato has been pretty impressive for a freshman. 17/33 for 245 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT last week against us. And he had zero ground game to rely on as they only ran for 6 yards on the day. Bud rushed him pretty heavily hoping to force him into some bad throws and he held his own pretty well (only 1 INT) even though he got sacked a lot.

30t6p3b.gif
FSU needs him.

Even though I knew it was inevitable it still sucks to see another year where nobody in the ACC is really a contender. If we lose to Clemson I hope they keep winning to raise the profile of the league. GT has a good chance to start out 8-0 before they play Clemson and then us, but their D isn't good enough to be a contender.

Scouting Report for Clemson:

Spoiler [+]
OFFENSE: Our offensive line has had major trouble consistently picking up positive yardage in the run game even against Marshall and Ark. St. Our rushing numbers aren't bad but there are a bunch of 0 or negative yardage plays and then a few big runs to make the averages look ok. Too many breakdowns and losing the battle at the point of attack. Even when our blocking is solid, David Wilson is doing a much worse job of being patient and seeing the lanes than he was in spring and fall camp. That was the main thing he needed to develop and he looks like he's either pressing or has just regressed. It's making it harder to sustain drives and sets up bad 3rd and longs. If Clemson puts 8-9 in the box and stuffs the run, they'll force us to rely on Logan Thomas and a depleted WR corps to win the game and I don't think he's ready for that. Even when healthy the receivers have been disappointing (aside from Danny Coale) with bad drops. Boykin was out last week with a sore hamstring, Roberts is out for the year with a broken arm, and Davis sprained his foot last week. Boykin is expected back but Davis is up in the air.

Thomas has been about what you'd expect, he's completing 57% of his passes (and would be higher if not for 12 drops in the first 3 games) for 761 yds, 4 TD and 4 INT in 3-1/2 games. His yardage totals are ok, but he usually stares down his first read and doesn't go through his progressions at all even though we've given him a lot of time to throw. He's had David Wilson open on checkdowns all year and has yet to get it to him even when staring right at him. His accuracy has been pretty good overall but he's shown the tendency to just lob up a jump ball down the sidelines and hope the receiver makes a play (word to Denard against ND
laugh.gif
) instead of just checking down and keeping the drive alive. Unfortunately he often throws off his back foot when he does this so the ball ends up being thrown too far inside or short and results in a pick. He's also thrown terribly far behind guys when they're going across the field on a few occasions (throwing to the spot where the receiver is rather than leading them across the field). While 4 INT isn't terrible he's had another 2-3 dropped and I'm sure Clemson will get a couple gifts on Saturday. Our red zone offense has been terrible, as we've had a two fumbles, a couple interceptions, missed field goals, and penalties backing us up and stalling the drive. Our inability to get positive rushing yards when we need to is a big reason; we've been stuffed on 4th and 1/4th and goal against both Arkansas State and Marshall.

DEFENSE: Even though the competition has been weak overall, this looks to be the best defense we've had since 2007. Hosley has pretty much been a shutdown corner and Kyle Fuller is improving in coverage and is great against the run. Bruce Taylor slimmed down a bit and has been solid at mike. Last year's backer (Lyndell Gibson) was probably one of the worst we've ever had. He's gone and Tariq Edwards took over and has been arguably our best player on defense, leading the team in tackles. He's still unproven but looks like our best backer since Adibi. At whip Geouveia Winslow is still physically limited but hasn't been exposed as much this year because the players around him have been better (and he's not been in the game as much because we've played three teams with pass heavy offenses and have used the nickel).

The defensive line has been great so far, getting a lot of penetration up the middle and stopping the run. Both defensive ends, while starting for the first time, have been huge upgrades as pass rushers and against the run. Our starting DE's have 8 sacks combined through 4 games vs. 10 combined for all of last year. Again, take the poor competition and the fact we've played pass heavy teams into account, but we are currently 2nd in run D giving up 43 yards per game and 1.6 YPC. Those numbers will even out a bit during conference play, but we gave up 155 YPG and 4.7 YPC last year and gave up lots of yards even against bad teams, so it's good to see the improvement. Boyd's had a great year so far but Auburn's D has been porous and Wofford and Troy are weak. His play against FSU was impressive as they're pretty good even though they were missing Reid. I'll be curious to see if our secondary (32nd in pass yards, 6th in passing efficiency) will be able to neutralize Boyd at all. The crowd could be a factor since it's his first road start, but their uptempo pace will help mitigate that. Plus UNC and GT have come into Lane at night and still run their offense pretty well.

SPECIAL TEAMS: They've been awful. We're near the worst in average punting (low 30's)and there is an open competition this week for punter. Our punter got benched mid game last week and Danny Coale (WR) finished the game punting. Our kicker is 4-7 on field goals on the year and has missed from 30-40 yards and looked shaky on his makes. Wilson's had a couple nice kick returns but Hosley's done nothing on PR's. Our coverage has been solid but I'm worried about field position as we'll probably be punting pretty often. We have had a couple punt blocks on the year.

I think we'll more than likely lose a fairly close game, 24-17 or 21-13 or something. Even though Clemson's run D hasn't been great, we just haven't been able to get any push against pretty shoddy opponents and I don't see us consistently getting solid yards on the ground as Clemson's interior DL is pretty good and they probably have the speed to make the plays on Wilson outside. Thomas has a hurt left shoulder, but we will probably run him out of necessity 7-10 times on decide plays as he's good for keeping it up the middle and getting 5+ yards on those. We'll try to minimize his mistakes but he'll probably be good for an interception or two even against a young secondary. I don't think either team will be able to run the ball very well but Clemson will sustain drives with passing and hit a couple big plays to win it. We just haven't shown the ability to finish drives (even against poor competition) to make me think we'll score more than 13-17 points. On D I think Bud will focus on stopping the run as always and try to disguise coverages and bait Boyd into picks a la Russell Wilson last year. We've pressured pretty heavily and relied on man coverage the past couple games but I think Bud will be more selective in pressuring with the playmakers Clemson has that will burn you if the pressure doesn't get there.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

30t6p3b.gif
FSU needs him.
Man who are you telling
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

!%$@ we needed him for Clemson moreso than this upcoming trip w/ Duke, WF and Maryland

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

30t6p3b.gif
FSU needs him.
Man who are you telling
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

!%$@ we needed him for Clemson moreso than this upcoming trip w/ Duke, WF and Maryland

They can't keep him suspended that long for that though right? I just checked y'all's schedule and I don't see any sort of a challenge on there til Miami on Nov. 12th. I know EJ's supposed to come back, but I think even without EJ and Reid you guys would lose two more games at the absolute worst.
EDIT: And THIS is why nobody wants bum %*$ West Virginia in their conference. http://dailymail.com/News/201109262726

They can't keep him suspended that long for that though right? I just checked y'all's schedule and I don't see any sort of a challenge on there til Miami on Nov. 12th. I know EJ's supposed to come back, but I think even without EJ and Reid you guys would lose two more games at the absolute worst.
EDIT: And THIS is why nobody wants bum %*$ West Virginia in their conference. http://dailymail.com/News/201109262726

Great weekend in Tempe despite the loss, the weather though...
sick.gif

Watching the game from the sidelines is incredible though
Incredible experience, feels weird when I go to road games.

I agree. USC just doesn't play with excitment anymore. When Pete was their, players were hyped! The announcer said it last night, Lane just isn't that type of coach though.

I hate it when people say this, the NCAA stripped us of our identity.  It's like walking on egg shells now. Closed practices until 2014, bowl ban, scholly reductions while other teams skate.

It's a complete 180 and everyone blames it on CLK and Co.
laugh.gif
. If we go 8-4 through this period it will be nothing to complain about. Do I want them to do better? Yes. Can they do better? Yes. There's a weight around the neck of the program right now.

My USC/ASU recap for anyone who cares, kind of "rant-*@%", you've been warned:

Spoiler [+]
This game was a lot closer than what folks who just scoreboard watch care to acknowledge. The first half was a bore on our end, the offense was stinking up the end zone and Barkley couldn't get into a groove due to the aggressive pass rush and our young Oline getting a bit exposed. The run was non existent. Despite early mistakes, ASU wasn't doing anything special to win the game. That Vontaze interception was money, but overall I don't think he had a good game, he was getting duped when the running game got going in the second half.

Offense: Terrible first half, especially in the red zone. Left too many points on the field. The execution just wasn't there. Barkley wasn't hitting his spots, and the running game just wasn't there. In my opinion, CLK didn't call enough plays to establish the run. Second half was a tale of two quarters. The third quarter the team came out on fire, and Barkley was delivering. Calling the right plays, audibling and throwing the ASU defense off. It was running on full cylinders. Marc Tyler was running through some huge holes. When we went up 22-21, Sun Devil Stadium got really quiet, you could almost hear the "Ah **$%" coming out of ASU fans. Then the wheels came off, ASU scored, followed by a Robert Woods return (Damn kicker
mad.gif
), more of the running game, and finally Tyler's fumble,
30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif
. Completely swung the momentum of the game. Even then, another offensive drive was put together, again land in the redzone, then another TO. Barkley holding on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away. Too many mistakes to overcome, espcially on the road. Literally gave the game away.

Defense: Our defense isn't good, but the blame is two-fold. Some of it has to be laid on the coaching. ASU came in with a game plan, which was quick passes and the run game. In order for the Tampa 2 to work, pressure on the QB needs to be applied, and with these spread offenses in CFB the Tampa 2 just isn't working. No adjustments, big cushions so the defense will always be exposed under. Also tackling,
30t6p3b.gif
. The swing pass was money since ASU always managed to juke the first defender. Frustrating to watch. The run couldn't be stopped. Second half came, and no adjustments, same **$%. I know Monte is an NFL legend, but I don't know if the Tampa 2 is suited for the college game.

Officiating: It was awful, definitely favored the home team. !%###%+% calls and !%###%+% non calls. Watching it in the stands, you can see Nick Perry getting held all the time, including a Marshall run where Perry was held by the shoulder pads. When I re-watched it, it only confirmed the blatant holding. Good to see they were on point with their personal foul calls
30t6p3b.gif

Overall: Officiating wasn't the reason we lost the game, it was still disgusting though. Turnovers, bad tackling, no defensive adjustments was the recipe for disaster. This was a competitive game that got ugly real fast. Very dissapointing.

Great weekend in Tempe despite the loss, the weather though...
sick.gif

Watching the game from the sidelines is incredible though
Incredible experience, feels weird when I go to road games.

I agree. USC just doesn't play with excitment anymore. When Pete was their, players were hyped! The announcer said it last night, Lane just isn't that type of coach though.

I hate it when people say this, the NCAA stripped us of our identity.  It's like walking on egg shells now. Closed practices until 2014, bowl ban, scholly reductions while other teams skate.

It's a complete 180 and everyone blames it on CLK and Co.
laugh.gif
. If we go 8-4 through this period it will be nothing to complain about. Do I want them to do better? Yes. Can they do better? Yes. There's a weight around the neck of the program right now.

My USC/ASU recap for anyone who cares, kind of "rant-*@%", you've been warned:

Spoiler [+]
This game was a lot closer than what folks who just scoreboard watch care to acknowledge. The first half was a bore on our end, the offense was stinking up the end zone and Barkley couldn't get into a groove due to the aggressive pass rush and our young Oline getting a bit exposed. The run was non existent. Despite early mistakes, ASU wasn't doing anything special to win the game. That Vontaze interception was money, but overall I don't think he had a good game, he was getting duped when the running game got going in the second half.

Offense: Terrible first half, especially in the red zone. Left too many points on the field. The execution just wasn't there. Barkley wasn't hitting his spots, and the running game just wasn't there. In my opinion, CLK didn't call enough plays to establish the run. Second half was a tale of two quarters. The third quarter the team came out on fire, and Barkley was delivering. Calling the right plays, audibling and throwing the ASU defense off. It was running on full cylinders. Marc Tyler was running through some huge holes. When we went up 22-21, Sun Devil Stadium got really quiet, you could almost hear the "Ah **$%" coming out of ASU fans. Then the wheels came off, ASU scored, followed by a Robert Woods return (Damn kicker
mad.gif
), more of the running game, and finally Tyler's fumble,
30t6p3b.gif
mad.gif
. Completely swung the momentum of the game. Even then, another offensive drive was put together, again land in the redzone, then another TO. Barkley holding on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away. Too many mistakes to overcome, espcially on the road. Literally gave the game away.

Defense: Our defense isn't good, but the blame is two-fold. Some of it has to be laid on the coaching. ASU came in with a game plan, which was quick passes and the run game. In order for the Tampa 2 to work, pressure on the QB needs to be applied, and with these spread offenses in CFB the Tampa 2 just isn't working. No adjustments, big cushions so the defense will always be exposed under. Also tackling,
30t6p3b.gif
. The swing pass was money since ASU always managed to juke the first defender. Frustrating to watch. The run couldn't be stopped. Second half came, and no adjustments, same **$%. I know Monte is an NFL legend, but I don't know if the Tampa 2 is suited for the college game.

Officiating: It was awful, definitely favored the home team. !%###%+% calls and !%###%+% non calls. Watching it in the stands, you can see Nick Perry getting held all the time, including a Marshall run where Perry was held by the shoulder pads. When I re-watched it, it only confirmed the blatant holding. Good to see they were on point with their personal foul calls
30t6p3b.gif

Overall: Officiating wasn't the reason we lost the game, it was still disgusting though. Turnovers, bad tackling, no defensive adjustments was the recipe for disaster. This was a competitive game that got ugly real fast. Very dissapointing.

Originally Posted by doyung9

but I don't see Alabama having any problems with LSU.
Yaaa, okay dude 
laugh.gif
Okay?

Saban is a great coach. He's gonna be ready for LSU. And as far as LSU adjusting to teams throwing short passes to poke holes in their weak secondary, that would just open up the little bit of room you need to actually run, especially if you're not going to be out-athleted (not a real word but you know what I mean) like an SEC school like Alabama would not be, in comparison to a WVU.

I've watched every single LSU game for the last 6-7 years... and it's not because I'm a fan, I just so happened to graduate from there and can't go anywhere on a Saturday without seeing them. They aren't as indestructible as people think, teams just play right into their hands. You're not going to tell me LSU has a bunch of future pro-talents in their defensive backfield. Sorry, not true. Sure, Tyrann Mathieu is going to go to the pros and play, but those other guys. Just better athletes, not better football players.

If Chris Relf from Mississippi St. could actually throw the ball, I think they'd have beat LSU. I'm not saying LSU's some terrible team. They are by far in the top 2 teams in the nation. But they can be beat on defense. Their defensive advantage comes in the form of the d-line. They are simply too strong in the middle, too fast on the outside. But their linebackers aren't otherworldly and neither is the db's outside of Mathieu.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Not like someone just threw for 400+ yards on them this past week or anything.

You can't possibly tell me that you watch every LSU game then say something like no DB outside of Mathieu is a playmaker... Did you not see what Mo Claiborne did last year when teams didn't throw at Peterson?? Some teams even threw more at Peterson than they did Claiborne.... Claiborne is a baller and will be drafted higher than Mathieu.

but I don't see Alabama having any problems with LSU.
Yaaa, okay dude 
laugh.gif
Okay?

Saban is a great coach. He's gonna be ready for LSU. And as far as LSU adjusting to teams throwing short passes to poke holes in their weak secondary, that would just open up the little bit of room you need to actually run, especially if you're not going to be out-athleted (not a real word but you know what I mean) like an SEC school like Alabama would not be, in comparison to a WVU.

I've watched every single LSU game for the last 6-7 years... and it's not because I'm a fan, I just so happened to graduate from there and can't go anywhere on a Saturday without seeing them. They aren't as indestructible as people think, teams just play right into their hands. You're not going to tell me LSU has a bunch of future pro-talents in their defensive backfield. Sorry, not true. Sure, Tyrann Mathieu is going to go to the pros and play, but those other guys. Just better athletes, not better football players.

If Chris Relf from Mississippi St. could actually throw the ball, I think they'd have beat LSU. I'm not saying LSU's some terrible team. They are by far in the top 2 teams in the nation. But they can be beat on defense. Their defensive advantage comes in the form of the d-line. They are simply too strong in the middle, too fast on the outside. But their linebackers aren't otherworldly and neither is the db's outside of Mathieu.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Not like someone just threw for 400+ yards on them this past week or anything.

You can't possibly tell me that you watch every LSU game then say something like no DB outside of Mathieu is a playmaker... Did you not see what Mo Claiborne did last year when teams didn't throw at Peterson?? Some teams even threw more at Peterson than they did Claiborne.... Claiborne is a baller and will be drafted higher than Mathieu.

Personally, I was a big fan of this shirt that Tech made a few years ago:

0_61_100907_VickShirts.jpg

And aren't scouts saying that the LSU secondary has something like 4 or 5 future NFL draft picks?

Personally, I was a big fan of this shirt that Tech made a few years ago:

0_61_100907_VickShirts.jpg

And aren't scouts saying that the LSU secondary has something like 4 or 5 future NFL draft picks?

Back
Top Bottom