2011 NBA MVP Thread

As a Bron hater and a Rose fan I don't want to get caught up on who's better.  That's a completely different argument than MVP. 

As a Bron hater and a Rose fan I don't want to get caught up on who's better.  That's a completely different argument than MVP. 

Originally Posted by DubA169

another thing to think about is that rose is going off without even getting the superstar treatment. he doesn't get any help from the refs whatsoever. he henevr yells and screams when the defender breathes on him

THIS ... i remember when he said something to the effect that he didn't call foul in the parks ... you knew you were gonna get contact so you had to know how to finish ... thank goodness for that b/c the refs def. don't make enough foul calls ... FOR SOMEONE THAT GOES TO THE BASKET THE WAY HE DOES ... 
let's leave the rose vs. lbj alone ... this is about MVP ... one is playing like an mvp and the other one well hasn't 

Originally Posted by DubA169

another thing to think about is that rose is going off without even getting the superstar treatment. he doesn't get any help from the refs whatsoever. he henevr yells and screams when the defender breathes on him

THIS ... i remember when he said something to the effect that he didn't call foul in the parks ... you knew you were gonna get contact so you had to know how to finish ... thank goodness for that b/c the refs def. don't make enough foul calls ... FOR SOMEONE THAT GOES TO THE BASKET THE WAY HE DOES ... 
let's leave the rose vs. lbj alone ... this is about MVP ... one is playing like an mvp and the other one well hasn't 

cd369d1d1d8ace49c2fb95c68d5ca52d-getty-103892594me006_chicago_bull.jpg

Originally Posted by Deuce King

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Former Bulls legend Michael Jordan believes Derrick Rose is the MVP of the NBA.

[h4]More On The Bulls[/h4]
chi.gif

Can't get enough NBA news and notes? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Chicago Bulls. Blog

"MVP of the season," Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls' 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. "He deserves it. He's playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn't get it, now he'll see how I felt a lot of years."

Well that's pretty much the end of this years MVP debate.  If you didn't think or believe that Rose is the MVP......now you know.  I like this comment by Jordan cause not only does he say Rose is the MVP this year but that he (Jordan) should have won even more MVP awards than he received.  Gotta love it.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Former Bulls legend Michael Jordan believes Derrick Rose is the MVP of the NBA.

chi.gif

Can't get enough NBA news and notes? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Chicago Bulls. Blog

"MVP of the season," Jordan said about Rose after the Bulls' 101-84 win over his Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. "He deserves it. He's playing that well. He deserves it. Without a doubt. And if he doesn't get it, now he'll see how I felt a lot of years."

Well that's pretty much the end of this years MVP debate.  If you didn't think or believe that Rose is the MVP......now you know.  I like this comment by Jordan cause not only does he say Rose is the MVP this year but that he (Jordan) should have won even more MVP awards than he received.  Gotta love it.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
  if you expect me to speak up on Lebron's behalf. 

Rose mid range game is much improved, and he may at one point pass Bron in terms of total package, but today, not yet.  And I know Bron's mid range is suspect.  Thing is, his forrays to the rim are damn near impossible to stop at this point, and if a guy with as you say "limited offensive abilities" is getting 26 a night, that should tell you something, right? 
wink.gif

I like Rose.  GREAT year, his game improves by the day, but he's not a better offensive weapon than Lebron just yet.  Headed that way?  I'll give you that, but not today. 
I see what you're saying man but I still disagree. It's like comparing Shaq with Hakeem Olajuwon at their respective peaks. Yes Shaq was a more dominant player during his peak (early 2000s) but you can't tell me that Hakeem did not posses a better offensive skill set than him, meaning he had more moves to get the desired  shot. So if your theory is getting X amounts points more than other guy means your a better offensive player than the other is totally wrong IMO. Shaq could average more than Kobe but does that mean he's got a better offensive skill set than him?NO..

In terms of driving- Before the season started I was also one of those people who thought Lebron was the best  driver in the league(with Drose and Wade after that). The more and more I watch Rose the more and more it becomes apparent to me that you cannot stop this guy. Yes he might have bad games once in awhile but that's his fault rather than the defense's. I believe he's the best driver in the league now. He also finishes at the rim best. While Lebron is a tank going at the speed of bullet, Rose is a contortionist, able to move his body in mid air in ways I haven't seen in awhile. Rose also finishes better with BOTH hands better than anyone in the league at the rim. There can be no debate there.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
  if you expect me to speak up on Lebron's behalf. 

Rose mid range game is much improved, and he may at one point pass Bron in terms of total package, but today, not yet.  And I know Bron's mid range is suspect.  Thing is, his forrays to the rim are damn near impossible to stop at this point, and if a guy with as you say "limited offensive abilities" is getting 26 a night, that should tell you something, right? 
wink.gif

I like Rose.  GREAT year, his game improves by the day, but he's not a better offensive weapon than Lebron just yet.  Headed that way?  I'll give you that, but not today. 
I see what you're saying man but I still disagree. It's like comparing Shaq with Hakeem Olajuwon at their respective peaks. Yes Shaq was a more dominant player during his peak (early 2000s) but you can't tell me that Hakeem did not posses a better offensive skill set than him, meaning he had more moves to get the desired  shot. So if your theory is getting X amounts points more than other guy means your a better offensive player than the other is totally wrong IMO. Shaq could average more than Kobe but does that mean he's got a better offensive skill set than him?NO..

In terms of driving- Before the season started I was also one of those people who thought Lebron was the best  driver in the league(with Drose and Wade after that). The more and more I watch Rose the more and more it becomes apparent to me that you cannot stop this guy. Yes he might have bad games once in awhile but that's his fault rather than the defense's. I believe he's the best driver in the league now. He also finishes at the rim best. While Lebron is a tank going at the speed of bullet, Rose is a contortionist, able to move his body in mid air in ways I haven't seen in awhile. Rose also finishes better with BOTH hands better than anyone in the league at the rim. There can be no debate there.

chi.gif

Cause Michael has proved time and time again he is a great evaluator of basketball talent.  That was one of the more clownish posts I've seen in a while, using MJ of all people as your reason to give a guy award, clownish
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

Your right, its not an argument at all.  If you honestly think Rose is better than LeBron than well I don't know what to tell you, but you clearly know jack %!%# about basketball.

chi.gif

Cause Michael has proved time and time again he is a great evaluator of basketball talent.  That was one of the more clownish posts I've seen in a while, using MJ of all people as your reason to give a guy award, clownish
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

Your right, its not an argument at all.  If you honestly think Rose is better than LeBron than well I don't know what to tell you, but you clearly know jack %!%# about basketball.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Putting words in my mouth aren't we? 
laugh.gif

Putting words in my mouth aren't we? 
laugh.gif

^^ I think Rose has a better OFFENSIVE skill set. Lebron plays better defense. You know which players also have better offensive skill sets than Lebron?

Kobe
Carmelo
maybe Durant..

now does that mean that they are better than Lebron? maybe not. Lebron is good at both ends of the court and he can also pass very well. All I was doing was bringing up who I thought had a better arsenal of moves in order to get the desired shot. Lebron is highly rated to me b/c his game has a good mix. Like I said, he can pass, defend, take it to the rim, and see the court like a point guard. A real solid game. But that does not mean he has a better OFFENSIVE game than every player in the leauge, he just has a really good mix of a lot of things. You don't have to agree with me on this, all I want you to do is think for a minute or two of the kind of shots Lebron takes. Just think about it.

^^ I think Rose has a better OFFENSIVE skill set. Lebron plays better defense. You know which players also have better offensive skill sets than Lebron?

Kobe
Carmelo
maybe Durant..

now does that mean that they are better than Lebron? maybe not. Lebron is good at both ends of the court and he can also pass very well. All I was doing was bringing up who I thought had a better arsenal of moves in order to get the desired shot. Lebron is highly rated to me b/c his game has a good mix. Like I said, he can pass, defend, take it to the rim, and see the court like a point guard. A real solid game. But that does not mean he has a better OFFENSIVE game than every player in the leauge, he just has a really good mix of a lot of things. You don't have to agree with me on this, all I want you to do is think for a minute or two of the kind of shots Lebron takes. Just think about it.

Better offensive skill set, people really kill me
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Call me when Rose puts up a season even close to the one statistically that LeBron put up the past two years, heck even this year...Call me when Rose leads the league in scoring.  Rose is great, I said when he came out he had the highest ceiling of any PG i have ever seen but this coronation of him as the best out when he is still getting better and is marginal in so many aspects is ridiculous.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Call me when Rose puts up a season even close to the one statistically that LeBron put up the past two years, heck even this year...Call me when Rose leads the league in scoring.  Rose is great, I said when he came out he had the highest ceiling of any PG i have ever seen but this coronation of him as the best out when he is still getting better and is marginal in so many aspects is ridiculous.

Something to think about..........
NBAMVPS.jpg

OBVIOUSLY, we can take out the two Steve Nash MVPs, because anyone who knows anything about basketball knows he didnt earn either of those two awards.  But seriously, look at the rankings of these stats by year.  I think its pretty telling of how good a year a player is having and if he deserves the MVP.

Derrick Rose's current rankings:  PER 12th, Wins 4th, Win Share Rank 9th, PPG 8th

Add all that up and tell me he is your MVP.  

Something to think about..........
NBAMVPS.jpg

OBVIOUSLY, we can take out the two Steve Nash MVPs, because anyone who knows anything about basketball knows he didnt earn either of those two awards.  But seriously, look at the rankings of these stats by year.  I think its pretty telling of how good a year a player is having and if he deserves the MVP.

Derrick Rose's current rankings:  PER 12th, Wins 4th, Win Share Rank 9th, PPG 8th

Add all that up and tell me he is your MVP.  

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I honestly don't see what's so funny about that. I just said before that you cannot relate point average to offensive skill set. I thought that Shaq example was pretty damn good. Has Carmelo Anthony ever led the league in scoring? No. But you can't tell me he doesn't have more moves/ways than Lebron James in terms of getting his shot off.  Anyone who really watches basketball can see that, it's as clear as day.  Yes, Rose is getting better and better every year but where is he marginal? Please tell me..turnovers? I have no clue what you mean by that.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I honestly don't see what's so funny about that. I just said before that you cannot relate point average to offensive skill set. I thought that Shaq example was pretty damn good. Has Carmelo Anthony ever led the league in scoring? No. But you can't tell me he doesn't have more moves/ways than Lebron James in terms of getting his shot off.  Anyone who really watches basketball can see that, it's as clear as day.  Yes, Rose is getting better and better every year but where is he marginal? Please tell me..turnovers? I have no clue what you mean by that.

Scoring is only one factor regarding a skill set. If that's your argument you should go a different route.

And Dland...I see what you're saying, but the past should not dictate the current MVP race. I don't even care if it's used to guage, which I think is what you're trying to show everyone.

Each year something differently inherently lies within a season. Players change, teams change, competition changes, rules change. So many variables. Call it a unique year, but don't try and discredit what Rose is doing or has done for the Bulls by posting those numbers.

Scoring is only one factor regarding a skill set. If that's your argument you should go a different route.

And Dland...I see what you're saying, but the past should not dictate the current MVP race. I don't even care if it's used to guage, which I think is what you're trying to show everyone.

Each year something differently inherently lies within a season. Players change, teams change, competition changes, rules change. So many variables. Call it a unique year, but don't try and discredit what Rose is doing or has done for the Bulls by posting those numbers.

chi.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I knew somebody was going to post something like this, it's only fitting I guess.  No matter how you want to look at it champ, when it comes to the basketball from a players/fans perspective there aren't many people that are held in higher regard than Jordan.  That being said, seeing how he has earned MULTIPLE MVP awards, I think it's safe to say he knows how and who becomes MVP.  Like I said earlier, as far as the running goes for Dwight, Lebron, Dirk, Kobe or anybody else, they'll have to wait another year.  Another time..........another place. 

Back
Top Bottom