2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by MAKITA

Hey fellas idk if you guys care about classic boxing, but i'll post it here anyway.

It's an amazing rare gem of 17 year old Tommy Hearns fighting 20 year old Aaron Pryor in the ams.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

WOW that was a WAR. THAT is boxing fellas, two ammy's with nothing to gain except pride. That truly was a gem Makita, thank you sir for sharing. Dudes rode out for real. Pryor won but Hearns definitely gave him a run for his money.
Yeah man.
I just thought I'd share it with everyone since I know that 99% of people in this thread have never seen that fight before.

Hey fellas idk if you guys care about classic boxing, but i'll post it here anyway.

It's an amazing rare gem of 17 year old Tommy Hearns fighting 20 year old Aaron Pryor in the ams.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

WOW that was a WAR. THAT is boxing fellas, two ammy's with nothing to gain except pride. That truly was a gem Makita, thank you sir for sharing. Dudes rode out for real. Pryor won but Hearns definitely gave him a run for his money.
Yeah man.
I just thought I'd share it with everyone since I know that 99% of people in this thread have never seen that fight before.

Just caught the Kirkland/Angulo fight, that was very entertaining. Would love to see Canelo and Kirkland fight.

Just caught the Kirkland/Angulo fight, that was very entertaining. Would love to see Canelo and Kirkland fight.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yeah man.

Hearns was raw as a 17 year old, I didn't see 1 left hook throw by him. Good vid.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yeah man.

Hearns was raw as a 17 year old, I didn't see 1 left hook throw by him. Good vid.

Originally Posted by TCURDA

Originally Posted by sammietheboss

Smoking Joe just passed like 2 hours ago RIP to one of the greatest man it feels like yesterday when I met him at the MGM Before Floyds last fight. Me and my lady took pics with him and I told my girl this the man that beat Ali twice and he said ''Twice I beat that mutha*#$%^& Three times''
laugh.gif

Twitter says rumors aren't true per his agent
frown.gif
 Keep fighting Joe. *#%# cancer.

With all due respect though, Ali whuped him twice. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
 Greatest trilogy of all time, pure poetry. If the rumors are true thank you Joe Frazier, God Bless that man.

You need to watch that fight again, or the documentury on that fight because in the last round Ali quit on his stool. Ali was begging his corner to throw in the towel and Joe was in the other corner begging his team not to throw in the towel. Needless to say Joe's team thru in the towel before Ali's team.
eek.gif
 yea it was that close.

Originally Posted by TCURDA

Originally Posted by sammietheboss

Smoking Joe just passed like 2 hours ago RIP to one of the greatest man it feels like yesterday when I met him at the MGM Before Floyds last fight. Me and my lady took pics with him and I told my girl this the man that beat Ali twice and he said ''Twice I beat that mutha*#$%^& Three times''
laugh.gif

Twitter says rumors aren't true per his agent
frown.gif
 Keep fighting Joe. *#%# cancer.

With all due respect though, Ali whuped him twice. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
 Greatest trilogy of all time, pure poetry. If the rumors are true thank you Joe Frazier, God Bless that man.

You need to watch that fight again, or the documentury on that fight because in the last round Ali quit on his stool. Ali was begging his corner to throw in the towel and Joe was in the other corner begging his team not to throw in the towel. Needless to say Joe's team thru in the towel before Ali's team.
eek.gif
 yea it was that close.

Weekend wrapup.

Spoiler [+]
Saturday at Cancun, Mexico

James Kirkland TKO6 Alfredo Angulo
Junior middleweight
Records: Kirkland (30-1, 27 KOs); Angulo (20-2, 17 KOs)
Rafael's remark: If you follow boxing you knew there was no question that this would be a bombs away slugfest. Making action fights is not rocket science, so when you match guys like Kirkland, 27, of Austin, Texas, and Angulo, 29, of Mexico -- who know no other possible way to fight but to go straight ahead -- it can't help but be exciting. And this one sure was. Since they both began fighting regularly on HBO in 2008 and 2009, hardcore fight fans wanted to see this match. But both of their careers wound up hitting the skids. Kirkland laid off for two years, including 18 months in prison, split from longtime trainer Ann Wolfe and suffered a shocking first-round knockout loss to Nobuhiro Ishida in April in one of the upsets of the year. Angulo had an acrimonious split from promoter Gary Shaw (who this past summer finally worked out a deal to sell the contract to Golden Boy) and was deported and unable return to the U.S. He didn't fight for 13 months until knocking out a nobody in the first round in August.

So even though the Kirkland-Angulo match was not the big event it looked like it might be someday back in 2009, Golden Boy and HBO made the fight anyway as both guys looked to get their careers back on track. Despite all the issues they have had one thing remained the same

Weekend wrapup.

Spoiler [+]
Saturday at Cancun, Mexico

James Kirkland TKO6 Alfredo Angulo
Junior middleweight
Records: Kirkland (30-1, 27 KOs); Angulo (20-2, 17 KOs)
Rafael's remark: If you follow boxing you knew there was no question that this would be a bombs away slugfest. Making action fights is not rocket science, so when you match guys like Kirkland, 27, of Austin, Texas, and Angulo, 29, of Mexico -- who know no other possible way to fight but to go straight ahead -- it can't help but be exciting. And this one sure was. Since they both began fighting regularly on HBO in 2008 and 2009, hardcore fight fans wanted to see this match. But both of their careers wound up hitting the skids. Kirkland laid off for two years, including 18 months in prison, split from longtime trainer Ann Wolfe and suffered a shocking first-round knockout loss to Nobuhiro Ishida in April in one of the upsets of the year. Angulo had an acrimonious split from promoter Gary Shaw (who this past summer finally worked out a deal to sell the contract to Golden Boy) and was deported and unable return to the U.S. He didn't fight for 13 months until knocking out a nobody in the first round in August.

So even though the Kirkland-Angulo match was not the big event it looked like it might be someday back in 2009, Golden Boy and HBO made the fight anyway as both guys looked to get their careers back on track. Despite all the issues they have had one thing remained the same

Originally Posted by mco85

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

mco85 wrote:

Would love to see Canelo and Kirkland fight.

you got that much faith in Canelo?

he aint been in a single war yet. Kirkland has eaten Leather in 3 different fights,

IMO, If Canelo's first war is with Kirkland, he loses badly.

Thats exactly why I want to see them fight. Something about Canelo irks me and I want to see him get his @+% whipped

roll.gif

You have that much faith in Kirkland?

I'm a big fan of Kirkland, but I'm not sold on him KO'ing Canelo.  Son is too raw. Flat-footed and very little head movement.

I have Canelo running through Cintron.

I'd like to see a crossroads bout between Paul Williams (if he can make 154) & James Kirkland.

You have that much faith in Kirkland?

I'm a big fan of Kirkland, but I'm not sold on him KO'ing Canelo.  Son is too raw. Flat-footed and very little head movement.

I have Canelo running through Cintron.

I'd like to see a crossroads bout between Paul Williams (if he can make 154) & James Kirkland.

some fights I really want to see
I agree with you guys about canelo kirkland, especially after this weekends performance.
rematch of berto ortiz. shouldve happened before ortiz/mayweather IMO
alvarez jcc jr just so I can see him get knocked out.

some fights I really want to see
I agree with you guys about canelo kirkland, especially after this weekends performance.
rematch of berto ortiz. shouldve happened before ortiz/mayweather IMO
alvarez jcc jr just so I can see him get knocked out.

If Kermy can get his mind right the Canelo fight could be good. I figure we'll either see a great fight or Kermy will frog splash off the top rope. Win-win for me.

If Kermy can get his mind right the Canelo fight could be good. I figure we'll either see a great fight or Kermy will frog splash off the top rope. Win-win for me.

That Cotto-Margorito preview was tense as hell. 
eek.gif

Ohand good stuff Makita, y'all ever seen Hearns sparrign with Ali?

That Cotto-Margorito preview was tense as hell. 
eek.gif

Ohand good stuff Makita, y'all ever seen Hearns sparrign with Ali?

Back
Top Bottom