2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Jimbo call the plays or Coley?

Jimbo. Coley does everything that a OC does during the week prepping for the game and on game day, except call the plays on Saturdays.

Coley called his own plays when he was a OC @ FIU

Wasn't Cam Clear committed to UT?

Last edited:
Cam Clear was at Tennessee for a year before getting booted for theft. Went to Arizona Western CC this year.

"ACCSports reported Tuesday night that the ACC presidents are having a 7 a.m. conference call Wednesday to talk about conference expansion and that Louisville is the clear leader to receive an invitation to join the league. The report says either Louisville will get an invitation or the conference will stand pat."
i figured this was the case, UCONN or Louisville make much more sense then cincy

you see most of these schools trying to jump to a big conference before they get left out in the dark. you see rutgers did it.
How much value does UConn really have in the expansion matter? At least with the previous ACC additions, they were about academics and TV markets. This is more of a move to appease the other football schools. Academically, they are what West Virginia was to the ACC initially.
they ain't getting up that early in the morning to vote no. gotta be Louisville.

best part is what Rick Pitino said when Cuse left, tho.
laugh.gif
Its not like he has any say. Its the BoT and President. Jim Boeheim is still upset at the move as indicated in a press conference after our game against Princeton.

Didn't he steal **** from the baseball team?

Sumlin and Polian took their time with his recruitment before moving on him and making him a priority, so hopefully they did their homework and found out he's learned from his time at Tennessee.

Gruden to Tennessee is apparently done. If it turns out wrong then burn me at the stake, I've long since quit caring about downvotes its just I finally have a legit source. I work for a big and growing company in Knoxville and the founder/CEO burst at the seems today when he visited the office; he's a UTk grad and 100K a year type booster.

A major Dayton University fundraiser is this weekend and Gruden is the key speaker every year. He cancelled due to "a late arising scheduling conflict" about a week and a half ago and his replacement, Chuck Noll, effed up and said he'd be in Knoxville in front of a small group of Dayton boosters. That's when the already present rumors got legs.

The Vols are desperate but have facilities, fans and money for days and they are cashing them all in. Haslams are heavily involved as well as two other Knoxville billionaires including Charles Ergen who apparently sees it as the most direct way of stimulating the Knoxville economy at large. The deal for Gruden will be essentially 6 mill a year. Same amount matched for the staff or thereabouts. Raheem Morris at DC for 1.5 a year. Rich Bissachia would be only other truly assumable staff member.

i figured this was the case, UCONN or Louisville make much more sense then cincy

you see most of these schools trying to jump to a big conference before they get left out in the dark. you see rutgers did it.
ACC will inevitably lose more schools, and how the Maryland lawsuit turns out will probably decide that. UCONN and Cincy are still up next. UCONN didn't get the votes again. Not sure if BC is still trying to stick it to them? They don't add anything football wise, and basketball is loaded as is.

Last edited:
[h1]McCartney: Jon Embree's termination at Colorado 'offends every person of color'[/h1]
By Matt Hinton | Blogger
November 28, 2012 11:11 am ET

12:11:28-Jon_Embree.jpg

Jon Embree was fired Sunday night after a 4-20 record over two yeras. (US Presswire)

Bill McCartney recruited Jon Embree to Colorado, coached him for four years there and was instrumental in bringing his former player back to Boulder as head coach in 2010. Earlier this year, he rallied to Embree's defense following a 69-14 debacle at Fresno State that had some fans calling for Embree's head. And where Embree seemed stunned and emotional when the axe actually fell over the weekend, McCartney just sounds angry.

Appearing on a local radio show on Tuesday, McCartney read a prepared letter in which he called the premature termination of Embree's contract after just two years "an indictment of true integrity" and encouraged "men and women of Colorado" to "stand up and be counted" in their opposition to the decision.
After he read the letter, McCartney said the school did not give Embree, who is black, as much opportunity to succeed as they would have given a white coach. McCartney said he knows why he was given more than two years to work through losing seasons at CU.
"Honestly, I believe it's because I'm Caucasian. I believe black men have less opportunity, shorter time if you will," McCartney said. "It's just like, Dan Hawkins got five full years. Why not give Jon Embree five years? You signed him to a five-year contract.

"Men of color have a more difficult road to tread. It didn't happen to me. Why should it happen to a black man?"

McCartney also criticized university chancellor Phil DiStefano.

"I heard the chancellor said it didn't matter what color Jon was. I think that offends every person of color out there," McCartney said. "This guy can match wits with any white guy out there. He's the real deal."
The day before McCartney's charge, university chancellor Phil DiStefano said during a Monday press conference to announce Embree's termination, "We didn't hire Jon because he's an African-American, and we didn't fire Jon because he's an African-American." The university has not responded to McCartney's letter or statements on Tuesday.

12:11:28-Bill_McCartney.jpg
Colorado finished the season last week with a single win, a 35-34 decision over fellow Pac-12 bottom dweller Washington State in September, and just four wins in Embree's two seasons at the helm. The 2012 team finished dead last in the conference in eight major statistical categories – total offense, total defense, scoring offense, scoring defense, rushing defense, passing efficiency, pass efficiency defense and turnover margin – and was among the bottom five teams nationally in all eight. Following the lone victory in Pullman, the Buffs allowed at least 38 points in eight consecutive defeats, and ultimately yielded more points per game (46.0) than any other team in the nation. They failed to win a game at home for the first time since 1920.

But McCartney has been there. When he was hired as head coach in 1982, Colorado had won just seven games in three years under his predecessor, Chuck Fairbanks, and went on to win just seven in McCartney's first three seasons; in his third year, 1984, the Buffs finished 1-10, with six of those ten losses coming by at least 17 points. Today, that record would guarantee a pink slip at any major program in the country, as Embree's fate proves.

At the time, though, the university decided to stick with McCartney, and by the end of the decade had emerged as an improbable national powerhouse. In 1989, Colorado broke through with an 11-0 regular season, narrowly missing out on a national championship in an Orange Bowl loss to Notre Dame; the following year, 1990, the Buffs finished the job by beating the Irish in an Orange Bowl rematch to claim the Associated Press crown. From 1989 to 1996, Colorado won three Big 8 championships under McCartney and his successor, Rick Neuheisel, and finished in the top ten of the final polls five times – all less than a decade removed from its status as perennial laughingstock.

Embree told reporters after last Friday's season-ending loss to Utah that he had already been assured by athletic director Mike Bohn that he would be back as head coach in 2013, and was mulling ways to get the team back on track, including installing a new offense and making changes to his staff. McCartney, echoing much of the sentiment around the program, told the Denver Postthat "you've got to be stupid" to judge Embree based on the lame duck program he inherited from Dan Hawkins.

"It was bankrupt," McCartney said. "If he had quality players who were older guys, he would've played them. The younger guys were better and had more potential but weren't ready."

"ACCSports reported Tuesday night that the ACC presidents are having a 7 a.m. conference call Wednesday to talk about conference expansion and that Louisville is the clear leader to receive an invitation to join the league. The report says either Louisville will get an invitation or the conference will stand pat."

How much value does UConn really have in the expansion matter? At least with the previous ACC additions, they were about academics and TV markets. This is more of a move to appease the other football schools. Academically, they are what West Virginia was to the ACC initially.

Perhaps you haven't been following but these expansion ARE NOT about academics. The various involved institutions and conferences might tout academics as the reason for their shuffling, but you'd have to had been living under a rock to believe this.

These realignments are about money; that generated by T.V deals, which are determined, in turn, by t.v markets. The Northeast, New England, area is prime television market. That is what Uconn brings to the table.

"Academically, they are what West Virginia was to the ACC initially." This is laughable. Uconn is a top 20 public University--much like Pitt. How you would draw am academic correlation between Uconn and WVU is honestly beyond me, especially in light of the fact that WVU is somewhere in the region of 96ish as far as the rankings go...:lol:

The main reason Uconn was left out had to do with the abyssal state of the football program, the recent problems associated with the Mbball program while Calhoun was in charge, and in my opinion, the fact that Uconn isn't part of AAU, (Syracuse recently left the association when the realized they were going to be kicked out).

Even though these realignments are driven by football revenue, the ACC is not a good football conference, so Uconn should have felt right at home...:lol:. Basketball wise, we know Uconn would be in the top tier of the ACC (perhaps not this season) along with 'Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, and 'Ville, so that's a no brainer. So in the end, Uconn was done in primarily because of football ('Ville football > Uconn by a wide margin), even though as previously pointed out, the ACC is a crappy football conference...:lol:.

Sad to see how money has ruined everything...:smh:

Perhaps you haven't been following but these expansion ARE NOT about academics. The various involved institutions and conferences might tout academics as the reason for their shuffling, but you'd have to had been living under a rock to believe this.

These realignments are about money; that generated by T.V deals, which are determined, in turn, by t.v markets. The Northeast, New England, area is prime television market. That is what Uconn brings to the table.

"Academically, they are what West Virginia was to the ACC initially." This is laughable. Uconn is a top 20 public University--much like Pitt. How you would draw am academic correlation between Uconn and WVU is honestly beyond me, especially in light of the fact that WVU is somewhere in the region of 96ish as far as the rankings go...
laugh.gif

The main reason Uconn was left out had to do with the abyssal state of the football program, the recent problems associated with the Mbball program while Calhoun was in charge, and in my opinion, the fact that Uconn isn't part of AAU, (Syracuse recently left the association when the realized they were going to be kicked out).

Even though these realignments are driven by football revenue, the ACC is not a good football conference, so Uconn should have felt right at home...
laugh.gif
. Basketball wise, we know Uconn would be in the top tier of the ACC (perhaps not this season) along with 'Cuse, Pitt, Duke, UNC, and 'Ville, so that's a no brainer. So in the end, Uconn was done in primarily because of football ('Ville football > Uconn by a wide margin), even though as previously pointed out, the ACC is a crappy football conference...
laugh.gif

Sad to see how money has ruined everything...
mean.gif

I was referring to Louisville in respect to West Virginia. Stop bleeding your school's colors for a minute and read smh. I said UConn had superior TV markets and academics compared to that of Louisville. You typed a bunch of nothing.

Last edited:
How unprepared was the ACC for all of this that they're about to be left out of the party in favor of a conference that lost 4 teams in 18 months and replaced them with West Virginia and a small private school with no fan base?

The ACC needs to call the BIG 12 and come up with a super conference like now

How unprepared was the ACC for all of this that they're about to be left out of the party in favor of a conference that lost 4 teams in 18 months and replaced them with West Virginia and a small private school with no fan base?
What were their options? If football is the driver, what were they supposed to do? Texas or Oklahoma isn't leaving the B12 for the ACC. I'm wondering if it's in their best interest to rush to 16 under the premise that no one else would bolt.

I don't see Gruden going to the college game no matter how big the check is. He's strictly an NFL guy imo. I don't see him wanting to deal with limited scolly's and practice and all that.

I was referring to Louisville in respect to West Virginia. Stop bleeding your school's colors for a minute and read smh. I said UConn had superior TV markets and academics compared to that of Louisville. You typed a bunch of nothing.

You asked about the "value" of Uconn and I answered. Furthermore, from a grammatical standpoint, Uconn is the main subject referenced in your post, so I elaborated on Uconn (much to your chagrin, apparently) relative to the other schools involved in the shuffle.

Don't blame me for terrible grammar on your part...:rolleyes

Last edited:
I don't see Gruden going to the college game no matter how big the check is. He's strictly an NFL guy imo. I don't see him wanting to deal with limited scolly's and practice and all that.

Really? I see it the other way around. He's bully style of coaching will carry further in college than in the NFL...I hope he goes somewhere though because I'd like to be able to watch MNF again with the audio instead of the radio... Can't stand listening to Gruden.

Why on earth is Arkansas offering a deal to Les Miles? LSU is a much better job than Arkansas...Seems a little odd to me. I would be shocked if Miles took that job (unless he wants less stress)...

Great article from SI.com on why Maryland left.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...d-athletics/index.html?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

You asked about the "value" of Uconn and I answered. Furthermore, from a grammatical standpoint, Uconn is the main subject referenced in your post, so I elaborated on Uconn (much to your chagrin, apparently) relative to the other schools involved in the shuffle.

Don't blame me for terrible grammar on your part...
eyes.gif

I'm not. Don't get mad because your school is ultimately going to be left in the dark because they have no value. You'll always be little brother in the region.

Back
Top Bottom