2014 NBA Summer League (Orlando: July 5-11) & (Las Vegas: July 11-21)

They have the same max vert at 35.5, blake has the better stand still vert. Blake might reach his summit a hair faster tho but I think it's negligible. He has a knack for dunking on people, offensive foul or not, which we have yet to really see from randle. But y'all really never seen julius jump out the gym?

[Video]Julius Randle Is A Top 7 Pick In The 2014 NBA Dra…: [/Video]

The way guys train for the ver now it means nothing, Randle is no where close to be in Blake's league explosion wise.

I ain't going off of no combine numbers, I've watched a lot of Randle and Blake at the same age and Blake was the better athlete without question, y'all wilding.

The way guys train for the ver now it means nothing, Randle is no where close to be in Blake's league explosion wise.
how does a person a vertical number means nothing? if you look at all the people with high verticals in the most recent class, they are all exceptional athletes. i think sometimes when a player is reported with a vertical that's not high as everyone expects, they probably just had a bad day jumping. just think about it, do you jump to your maximum potential every time? some days you might be off a couples inches or so.

how does a person a vertical number means nothing? if you look at all the people with high verticals in the most recent class, they are all exceptional athletes. i think sometimes when a player is reported with a vertical that's not high as everyone expects, they probably just had a bad day jumping. just think about it, do you jump to your maximum potential every time? some days you might be off a couples inches or so.
And if you look beyond the most recent class...there are plenty of examples of why high verticals =/= explosiveness.

Jordan Farmar posted a ******* 42 inch vertical. There are a number of variables that impact how we measure explosiveness and a vertical jump is only one piece in the puzzle.

Regardless...a simple eye test can point out that Blake Griffin and Julius Randle aren't on the same plane of explosiveness.

Last edited:
I'll put it like this...there's been a few times during the SL games where Randle has driven towards the rim and tried to finish with a dunk, but hasn't completed it.. If that's Griffin, he's demolishing the rim. That's the difference athletically right there.

In terms of straight explosion its definitely Blake.

Randle is only a rookie but everything I'm seeing so far is honestly what I expected from him. We all know he'll evemtually get a 15-20 foot jumper, the mechanics and form are there its only a matter of time.

He's gonna look like the high school Randle in a couple of years.

And if you look beyond the most recent class...there are plenty of examples of why high verticals =/= explosiveness.

Jordan Farmar posted a ******* 42 inch vertical. There are a number of variables that impact how we measure explosiveness and a vertical jump is only one piece in the puzzle.

Regardless...a simple eye test can point out that Blake Griffin and Julius Randle aren't on the same plane of explosiveness.
I like how you listed exactly one player. Yeah, there are a few here and there, who posted a high vertical and aren't as explosive as players who posted a lower vertical. But I think that there are only a few of those. More times than not, when someone post a high vertical, it means they're athletic and it does mean something. I know Famar isn't the most athletic or explosive point guard but he's pretty athletic and uses it pretty decently during in-game situations.

Luke Jackson
Ben Gordon
Jordan Farmar
Shane Larkin
OJ Mayo
Cody Zeller
Matt Barnes

^ all had great vertical jumps at the combine. Who is considered an elite athlete from that list? Maybe Cody and he struggles to finish at the rim.

Bad example using a 6' pg but I get what he's saying. Blake's game is built around creating separation with vertical explosion whereas randle plays below the rim so in that sense yea, the numbers lie. But in a dunk off it could go either way

I like how you listed exactly one player. Yeah, there are a few here and there, who posted a high vertical and aren't as explosive as players who posted a lower vertical. But I think that there are only a few of those. More times than not, when someone post a high vertical, it means they're athletic and it does mean something. I know Famar isn't the most athletic or explosive point guard but he's pretty athletic and uses it pretty decently during in-game situations.

The number doesn't matter because you can watch the games and see how they use that athleticism. Durant tested out as the worst athlete in the draft when he came out.

Pelton:
Best, worst of Summer League

Wednesday was the midpoint of the 11-day schedule for the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, making this a good time to look back at the best (and sometimes worst) of the action we've seen on the UNLV campus over the past six days.

Here are my picks for the top players, best skills and highest entertainment value during the summer league.

Best rookies

1. Doug McDermott | Chicago Bulls

The best player in college basketball last season also has been the best rookie in Vegas thus far. McDermott has handled the transition to the perimeter well, dishing out 3.7 assists per game in addition to his usual barrage of 3-pointers (11-of-21, 52.4 percent from beyond the arc). McDermott still has to answer questions about his ability to defend wing players, but no rookie is more ready to contribute offensively.

2. T.J. Warren | Phoenix Suns

Warren has been relentless in getting buckets in the summer league, topping 20 points in all three games he's played more than seven minutes. Warren has done so in efficient fashion, shooting a cool 59.6 percent from the field. As in college, Warren hasn't relied on 3s (he's yet to make one) and rarely has gotten to the free throw line (4.0 attempts per game). Instead, he's found transition and putback opportunities to go with midrange jumpers.

3. Jordan McRae | Philadelphia 76ers

The No. 58 pick has had an impact beyond his pedigree so far in Vegas, averaging 19.7 points per game. McRae has gotten to the free throw line nine times a night and flashed some 3-point accuracy (5-of-14). Also active defensively, McRae has six steals in three games.

Honorable mention: Jordan Clarkson, L.A. Lakers; Dante Exum, Utah Jazz; Gary Harris, Denver Nuggets; Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks; Julius Randle, L.A. Lakers; Russ Smith, New Orleans Pelicans; Andrew Wiggins, Cleveland Cavaliers

Most tantalizing rookie (tie): Dante Exum, Andrew Wiggins

In terms of performance, neither Exum nor Wiggins can compare with some of this year's less heralded rookies. Both players have demonstrated their potential, however, with highlight plays such as Wiggins' impressive dunk against McRae and the 76ers.

Most disappointing rookie: P.J. Hairston | Charlotte Hornets

Hairston, the 26th overall pick, came to Vegas fresh off an assault charge following an altercation in a pickup basketball game. His NBA Summer League experience hasn't gone much better. Hairston is shooting 26.5 percent from the field, and while he's enjoyed some success from 3-point range (12-of-36, 33.3 percent), Hairston has connected on six of 32 tries inside the arc (18.8 percent). That hasn't stopped him from shooting 17 times per game.

Best veterans

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo | Milwaukee Bucks

With the possible exception of Nerlens Noel -- who has played just one game for precautionary reasons -- Antetokounmpo is the most talented veteran playing summer league. While he hasn't dominated Vegas competition, Antetokounmpo is using the summer for development purposes by expanding his game. The Greek Freak has played point guard at times and is posting up smaller defenders.

2. Otto Porter | Washington Wizards

After a lost rookie season, it was important for Porter to establish himself as a potential contributor with a strong summer league. He's done just that, averaging 19.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game while shooting 53.3 percent from the field. Tentative as a rookie, Porter is now playing with confidence.

3. Rudy Gobert | Utah Jazz

Without scoring many points, Gobert dominated the Jazz's second game against the Milwaukee Bucks, blocking five shots, grabbing nine rebounds and making all six of his shot attempts in 23 minutes of action. And that wasn't even the game where Gobert drew "Rudy!" chants from Jazz fans, who are excited about the potential he's showed.

Honorable mention: Gorgui Dieng, Minnesota Timberwolves; C.J. McCollum, Portland Trail Blazers; Donatas Motiejunas, Houston Rockets; Nerlens Noel, Philadelphia 76ers; Glen Rice Jr., Washington Wizards; Dennis Schroder, Atlanta Hawks; Tony Snell, Chicago Bulls

Most disappointing veteran

Shabazz Muhammad | Minnesota Timberwolves

Muhammad's decent-looking averages of 14.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per game obscure how inefficient he's been as a scorer. Muhammad has shot 33.3 percent from the field, including a 1-of-10 effort. And per usual, he's barely made a dent in the rest of the box score, handing out two assists in four games.

Best free agent: Justin Holiday | Golden State Warriors

No Washington Husky bias here, I swear. Holiday has averaged 18.0 points per game, second among unaffiliated players and not bad for a player whose primary contributions come on defense. So impressed was new Warriors head coach Steve Kerr that he's drawn up several late-game plays for Holiday, who gave Golden State the lead in the final seconds of a game they lost to the L.A. Lakers on a buzzer-beating tip-in.

Honorable mention: Khem Birch, Washington Wizards; Seth Curry, Phoenix Suns; Courtney Fells, New Orleans Pelicans; Brock Motum, Utah Jazz

Best shooter: Doug McDermott | Chicago Bulls

If there were any concerns about McDermott's transition to the longer NBA 3, he's quickly quashed those with his hot shooting from downtown. On top of that, McDermott has gone 18-of-19 (94.7 percent) from the free throw line.

Best rebounder: Eric Moreland | Sacramento Kings

With apologies to Cole Aldrich, who pulled down 15 boards in his only game before re-signing with the New York Knicks and shutting things down, Moreland has been the most impressive glass-cleaner. The uber-athletic Oregon State product, who went undrafted, has skied above the crowd to secure 20 rebounds in 40 minutes so far.

Best dunker: Eric Griffin | Dallas Mavericks

Wiggins might have the best dunk of summer league. As far as body of work, he can't compare to Griffin, who has attempted to dunk over any and everyone whenever he's gotten the ball in the paint. The Campbell University product, who's played for the Heat the last two summers, went through and over Shane Larkin for a highlight dunk last Friday.

Most popular player (tie): Sim Bhullar | Sacramento Kings, Yuki Togashi | Dallas Mavericks

Fans have gone nuts for the long and short of the NBA Summer League. Fans have chanted for the Kings to play Bhullar, the 7-foot-5 Indian center by way of Canada and New Mexico State, to little avail. Bhullar has played just five minutes in two games, less time than he's spent posing for pictures with fans. At 5-7, Togashi looks like a fan who wandered onto the court. The Japanese point guard showed he belongs Wednesday, scoring 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting (including a pair of 3s) in 11 minutes as a small contingent of fans chanted his name.

Best playmaker: Russ Smith | New Orleans Pelicans

"Russdiculous" has become a pass-first show in Vegas, sometimes to the point where Smith has been too unselfish looking for teammates. Nobody can stay in front of Smith on the perimeter, allowing him to dish out a league-best 7.7 assists per game. Only one other player (Ray McCallum of the Sacramento Kings) is averaging even five assists.

Best shot-blocker: Rudy Gobert | Utah Jazz

There have been plenty of impressive shot-blockers on display in the NBA Summer League, including Moreland (six swats in 40 minutes). None has done more to put a lid on the opposing basket than Gobert, with seven impressive blocks over two games.

Most entertaining team: Utah Jazz

The combination of Exum's incredible burst in the open court, his playmaking ability and the mystery about his game has made the No. 5 pick a must-watch in Vegas. Add in Gobert's active presence in the paint, Rodney Hood's streak shooting and surprisingly athletic plays from free agent Motum and Utah has played to rave reviews just off the Strip.

Hence why people train for the standing vert test. Nobody nowadays is underachieving on the vert test. Fact.

Shabazz Muhammad is some butt, his inefficient scoring, cant create off the dribble, cant strap up and his crybaby attitude on the court. at this rate he wont be in the league for to long.

Luke Jackson
Ben Gordon
Jordan Farmar
Shane Larkin
OJ Mayo
Cody Zeller
Matt Barnes

^ all had great vertical jumps at the combine. Who is considered an elite athlete from that list? Maybe Cody and he struggles to finish at the rim.
The next time Cody Zeller is referred to as an elite athlete will be the first time.

Shabazz Muhammad is some butt, his inefficient scoring, cant create off the dribble, cant strap up and his crybaby attitude on the court. at this rate he wont be in the league for to long.
Ppl had him on top of the draft board at one point :lol: :x

Lakers need to furnish free Gatorade machines in all Orlando practice facilities for the next season as a return gift.

Randle>Gordon

Randle is playing against Kobe in practice.
Jabari is going to be behind him at the end of this season because of this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom