2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the 1990s-2010 anymore.

System is antiquated. You can run sets from it, but to base an entire team offense around it isn't wise.
with the right players of course you can. It's silly to think ball is a totally different sport from less decade ago . with the right players any system can win chips

Last edited:
There are soooo many teams in the league who run bits and pieces of the triangle in what they do even in 2016. Whether it's pinch post / blind pig stuff, or triple post stuff, it's there.

The issue is when your offense is 100% triangle, and that isn't going to work. The lack of dribble penetration via the triangle, along with the lack of creative personnel, leads to really people just running around wasting seconds off the shot clock, and ending up with a contested midrange jumper. 

New York is in a rock and a hard place because when you look at their personnel, there is no "offense" that will rescue their fortunes. You could argue that the Triangle is the issue, but they have no players to run a P&R based offense, they don't have anyone to really create double teams to play out of. 

New York's roster make up is more troublesome than the triangle. That being said, they probably are better off ditching the triangle due to the fact that it's much harder to generate decent shots in the triangle with players who don't command a double team.

Last edited:
People romanticize the triangle and make it much more than what it really is.

Really, the reason why it works is because you have players at key spots in the floor that command double teams and if you don't double, they'll kill you. Shaq on the low block, Kobe on the pinch post, etc.

New York doesn't have any of this so consequently, they suffer from running it.

With Kobe's retirement and this debate, it makes me wonder how young/prime Kobe would be in today's NBA.

Defense has changed a lot even in the last 6 years.

The triangle counts a lot on the midrange jumper in an era where the offense is stretching more and more to the three point line. Maybe it is dated.

The spurs currently rely on a lot of midrange shots on their way to a way franchise best season I think. But again nobody cares about the spurs.

with the right players of course you can. It's silly to think ball is a totally different sport from less decade ago . with the right players any system can win chips

This. It kinda irks me when people talk about the modern NBA like it's a totally different game. Positio less basketball is also really overblown but that's another topic.

With Kobe's retirement and this debate, it makes me wonder how young/prime Kobe would be in today's NBA.
I tend to believe that all time greats transcend any era, so I think he would do fine, relatively.

However, there's something to be said about creating an offense around someone with as heavy of a midrange diet as Prime Kobe was. Plus he was never a knockdown shooter from 3. (Partly due to his shot selection)

But you look at all the best teams in today's NBA, NONE of them really have their best player hoisting up a bunch of fadeaways and midrange jumpers so I don't know. Individually he would probably do great, but could you create a winner with it? Food for thought for sure.

How many teams can realistically attain/develop great mid-range shooters like Aldridge, Leonard and Parker though?

prime kobe + 50 shots = 100 points easy 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
Except that he shot 46 to get 81.

And it would be a STREEEEETCCCHHHH to say he could have easily... I said EASILY... YOU said easy... it would be a stretch to watch that game and say he could have had 19 more points on 4 more shots. All twos, he gets 8 more points, so then 11 FTs? And that sinking all 4 shots and 11 FTs.

Easy. 
laugh.gif

Yes, I know he should have had like 89 if it weren't for a bad Lamar outlet and a couple other potential baskets, but that doesn't make 100 on 50 shots EASY because he didn't EASILY get those 81 on those 46.

It does, actually.

Any problem between us is always on your end, my dude. "Oh, look, ska clowning the Clippers again." Stuff like that.

I've always valued your contribution on here, despite your team.

Thanks, man. I don't have any problems. We just genuinely don't see eye-to-eye on everything, which is fine. I think for the most part when we disagree, the discussions are pretty civil and interesting. Which is how it should be.

All the mods on here, including you, are appreciated. I know its a thankless job 95% of the time, and one I wouldn't to do, but it makes this place better.

pimp.gif
Except that he shot 46 to get 81.

And it would be a STREEEEETCCCHHHH to say he could have easily... I said EASILY... YOU said easy... it would be a stretch to watch that game and say he could have had 19 more points on 4 more shots. All twos, he gets 8 more points, so then 11 FTs? And that sinking all 4 shots and 11 FTs.

Easy. 
laugh.gif

Yes, I know he should have had like 89 if it weren't for a bad Lamar outlet and a couple other potential baskets, but that doesn't make 100 on 50 shots EASY because he didn't EASILY get those 81 on those 46.
that was back then though

these days pace is way up, no one bothers playing defense anymore, if you sniff a shooter it's 2 fts

way easier to score today than in 2006

Like many have said, running the triangle with the right players involved.. or running elements of it with the team isn't a bad idea. But it's Phil's stubbornness that is cause for concern. It's not "We'll adapt the triangle to the modern NBA".. but if they only look at coaches who have worked under Phil or the triangle or only look for players who fit that mold.. count me out of that plan 100%.

I'm on board with any coach not named Kurt Rambis or Brian Shaw.

Walton would've been interesting cause he could run the triangle with some modern elements he learned in GS but it sounds like he turned us down already.

Also, last time Phil ran the tri himself he wasn't so strict with it. He allowed the team to run pretty often and run a lot of pick and roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom