2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them old school cats are hilarious man. They love to downplay Steph....because he doesn't fit the prototypical type of MVP they want. That's reserved for the anointed athletic wings who fill up the stat sheet, or dominant bigs. A guy like Steph isn't supposed to be dominating like this and breaking records while being an MVP....let alone a 2X one, with the 2nd unanimous.

Tmac played in one of the most un-sophisticated eras in modern basketball. And I loved it....but the ISO ball era he was a part of had a lot of problems. Let's not forget:

-The terrible offense that was run during the ISO ball era.
-The low scoring.
-The basic defense.
-The not ready high school players littered around the league
-The 2000 draft :x
-The bad team building.
-The expansion teams.
-The inefficiency

This era may be "softer" because of the flagrant rules, and foul calls....but it's by no means anywhere close to "watered down".

The league wasn't "watered down" when Bron won his MVPs two years ago...or when the Spurs won the chip in 2014. But as soon as Steph dominates it....its watered down. T-Mac is my guy, but he's off with this one.

Steve Nash was cooking Teams in T-Mac's era. Just imagine what Steph would do :x.

Last edited:
I'm old school and love Steph. I feel like he is loved by most....maybe the team isn't as loved but Curry himself seems it get a lot of respect

I don't think the league is watered down but steph really had no competition for the trophy this year. The guy you could've made an argument for last season struggled to make the playoffs. Jebron lames had a down year, especially compared to his other MVP seasons. Kawhi is cool but cmon now. Stephen was the obvious choice.

Last edited:
Former No. 1 draft pick and NBA All-Star Kenyon Martin joined Adrian Wojnarowski on this week’s episode of The Vertical Podcast with Woj. The always-candid Martin discussed the source of his famous intensity, helping lead the Nets to a pair of Finals appearances and more from his 15-year NBA career. Martin also talked about his basketball ability being overshadowed by his rambunctiousness, including one on-court feud that nearly combusted off the court.

Long one of the NBA’s most intimidating and confrontational players, Martin explained that his passion stemmed from a childhood battle with stuttering. After being teased by classmates, Martin stood up for himself and carried it over to the basketball court.

“It just came to a point to where one day I just drew a line in the sand,” Martin said. “‘I’m not going to get picked on no more about this.’ And if you do, we going to fight. And that’s when it started. That’s when the aggression — when I drew the line in the sand — I don’t know how old I was, but I was just like, ‘I’m not taking it no more.’ Win, lose or draw, we going to fight. So that’s when it started and just transferring all that inner — going on at home, getting picked on in school and the streets and stuff like that, taking all that onto the court.”

Martin, who was a late bloomer in recruiting circles, talked about his path to earning a scholarship from legendary coach Bob Huggins at the University of Cincinnati. After earning an invite to the prestigious ABCD Camp in New Jersey, the Dallas native didn't have the money for a plane ticket or a sponsor to pay for one so he took a Greyhound bus across the country. After some standout play at the camp, Martin earned a plane ticket for his trip back to Dallas.

During his time at Cincinnati, Martin went from averaging 2.8 points as a freshman to becoming national player of the year as a senior. An ankle injury, the first of several major injuries in his career, ended his senior season early. He recounted a terrible pre-draft workout for the Nets that ended abruptly because he was still recovering from the injury. Despite the bad workout, the Nets still made him the No. 1 pick, but head coach Byron Scott publicly questioned Martin’s work ethic early in the season.

“I went and talked to Byron,” Martin said. “I went in his office, closed the door. 'Listen, this is what it is, man. I’m out here busting my *** for you, for this organization. I’m not healthy right now. Work with me. Like, don’t go to the media. Like, why you going to them, f---ing talking to them? They ain’t in here doing this s--- with us.’ ”

After clearing the air with Scott, Martin quickly became a core piece for the Nets. He told Woj about his experience playing with Stephon Marbury, the trade for Jason Kidd and the difficulty of playing second fiddle to the New York Knicks. The rivalry with the Knicks escalated when Tim Thomas called Martin “fugazi” during the 2004 playoffs. At the 26:22 mark of the podcast, Martin talked about his reaction to Thomas’ comments and how there was nearly a confrontation during the offseason at a nightclub in Dallas.

Martin also went into detail about how close the Nets were to winning the 2003 Finals against the San Antonio Spurs, saying if they won Game 5, they would have won the series. Following a change in ownership, Martin told Woj the Nets didn’t even offer him a contract following the 2004 season. After Jason Kidd told him to go get his money, Martin signed a long-term deal with the Denver Nuggets.

Martin and Woj also discussed how his reputation impacted the way he was viewed as a player.

“Do you think people did not give you the credit for that basketball IQ, for how you thought the game?” Woj asked. “For whatever reason: was it they had preconceived ideas of who you were? Stereotype you? It felt like you never did.”

“When you throw a few f-bombs or a few four-letter words in between a statement, people tend to block out the statement and the message,” Martin said.

0:55: Martin talks about the current NBA, players he enjoys watching and why he thinks the game has become soft

3:53: Martin discusses his battle with injuries, including his famously brief pre-draft workout for the Nets

9:00: How his childhood battle with stuttering led to his on-court demeanor

11:05: His journey from Dallas to New Jersey for the ABCD Camp on a Greyhound bus

13:26: Playing for Bob Huggins at Cincinnati

19:45: Playing with Stephon Marbury on the Nets

23:40: The Jason Kidd trade and their chemistry

26:21: His feud with Tim Thomas and the offseason meeting that nearly turned violent

32:02: Nets ownership change and his resulting free agency

38:35: Joining the Nuggets

45:07: Curbing his intensity and being called into David Stern’s office

http://yhoo.it/1qdM1ay

Last edited:
I'm tired of these dudes calling the league soft. I saw Kenneth Faried almost be paralyzed only to play the next game. Cleanthony early got shot and played in the same season. Kemba dominated a series on one knee.

Sure they don't let you clothesline people any more. But was that really good for the league?

CiLzed7WUAAAJBl.jpg

bomani made a good point about lebron and kawhi. kawhi won finals mvp, in large part for defending lebron, in a series where lebron avgd like 27-8-7 shooting 57%. and now he finishes ahead of him in the mvp voting. to make matters worse steph becomes the first unanimous mvp, lebron was 1 vote shy of a unanimous mvp in 2013 (shout out to melo :lol:)

So Kenyon confronted Byron about saying disparaging things about his players to the media 16 years ago... and he still does it now more than ever. Byron has learned nothing. :lol:

Kmart was intimdating? Dude was astraight clown that looked like that one female Muppet . didn't dude have a tattoo of a pair of lipstick lips on his neck? Son looked like a feminem Joe buddens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom