2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

I can't believe Phil Jackson is being paid 12 million dollars a year to attend games and act like he's doing anything.

I really truly feel bad for you bros, no troll.
Fans deserve better

I dont thnk you understand the value of a trade exception. Dallas almost never keeps their pick or always drafts some euro player that'll never come because they dont want to add salary. We have a 2 mill, 4 mill, and 6 million dollar trade exception to use that all expire on draft night.

I dont see whats funny at all tbh. Late 1st rounders and early 2nd rounders can be had easily using these.
I don't think you understand the current value of young talent on rookie deals. A couple years ago those things mentioned in your post take place. Now? #veryrare

The last CBA also placed restrictions on the amount of cash a team can use for trade purposes each season. IIRC up to $3M total per season.
how does a trade exception actually work? is it like cash?
The team with the exception can absorb a player under contract for X amount of dollars (up to value of exception) without having to match salaries or ship someone back.

Last edited:
how does a trade exception actually work? is it like cash?
The Knicks have a $5.9M trade exception from the J.R. Smith trade.

It expires one year from the day of the trade, so they have until January 2016 to use it. They can go to the Bucks and say we'll take Jerryd Bayless' $3M contract off your hands. The Knicks use their trade exception to take Bayless, and the Bucks get a $3M trade exception of their own that expires in a year.

I can't believe Phil Jackson is being paid 12 million dollars a year to attend games and act like he's doing anything.

Fans deserve better
i hate this notion floating around that phil doesn't care or that phil isn't doing anything. it's so annoying (not you but its the general perception right now). phil didn't need the money, this is a job he actually wants to see through.

episode 4 of the podcast is posted if anyone else wants to listen, aside from Nick :lol:

Mudiay

Wes Mathews/ Afflalo

Melo

Tristan Thompson

Monroe

2nd round exit + cap space for 2016 

pass on affalo and not trying to take damage goods in wes... tristan thompson would be cool for cheap and monroe would be a good pickup also but not for the max

Fans deserve better
i hate this notion floating around that phil doesn't care or that phil isn't doing anything. it's so annoying (not you but its the general perception right now). phil didn't need the money, this is a job he actually wants to see through.

episode 4 of the podcast is posted if anyone else wants to listen, aside from Nick :lol:

I'd be happy to friendly debate that with you bro, but I don't wanna derail your thread. :lol:

ya need to get off Phil's nuts. How many other team presidents are jocked like this? I get it. Phil had a blank slate with tons of cap space and all he did was trade Felton, tyson, JR, Prigs, and Shump for pretty much nothing....

oh wait

Prigs, you were never getting anything for. 37 year old, can't defend, just a role player and a wily veteran, only got traded because he deserved a chance to win a ring before retiring.

Fleton/Chandler, Phil took a gamble that didn't work. Not the worst trade in the world, just didn't work out.

Jr/Shump, he dumped two bums that looked pathetic in NY that no teams wanted any part of. Don't see the issue there. They go to Cleveland and play like they did in NY no one complains, but hey, they do well playing next to the best player in the world and another superstar and it's the end of the world.

If you guys are getting on Phil, I really hope you got on Donnie Walsh for doing similar things. Walsh traded young assets/draft picks to clear cap space to gamble on LeBron. Phil traded garbage to make room financially to have a rebuilt roster that had a much higher ceiling than the roster he inherited.

I'm not gonna sit here and waste my time criticizing the guy who's just getting started with his vision. We didn't get rid of prime Patrick Ewing, we got rid of deadweight that ran its course in NY. Let's calm down and see how things play out before we start complaining about our lives. We're going to put together a very solid team with a future for a change this offseason.

the pablo trade was really because he deserved to play on a better team tbh. im not mad at all about the trade.

im kind of sour about the JR/shump trade bc i think we couldve gotten more, but while they were playing HERE they looked like a bunch of scrubs. at the time, i think they were both averaging a combined like 18 points or something like that. now they are in a much better situation and are playing better too. well at least JR is. the thing about JR though is that he cant be relied on to be the 2nd option and the rest of the team to just be mediocre. when JR is hot, hes hot, but when hes not, hes really just hurting us. the reason why he played so well a couple of years ago was bc we had guys like novak that could also knock down shots. kind of like his situation in cleveland. when he plays well awesome, but when he doesnt, its overlooked bc of guys like bron, kyrie, etc that are the primary and secondary options. here in ny, when JR was playing bad, we were ****** bc i mean who is our next best player? gallo?

the tyson/felton trade was suspect, BUT it did have potential. tyson didnt wanna be here and felton is a bum. caldo (at the time) looked like a good serviceable pg that could at least bridge the gap between then and when we signed a new floor general. unfortunately, he cant stay on the floor so it kind of back fired and now we have a pg thats just as effective as felton, but with a higher salary and more years on his contract.

yeah it didn't work out the calderon trade. it had potential but it didn't work and that extra year on his contract sucks. but I'm not gonna sit here and castrate the man for making that move. especially since i think calderon could still be traded.

the best is when people say Fisher is a bad coach....like what the hell was he supposed to do?

^ when it comes down to it people want that instant gratification feeling especially having a sports team in the NY area there is little to no patience... people want to blame phil immediately because of how much he gets paid... i dont see what the big deal is his contract doesnt count against the cap and like others have said this is only year 1... he inherited a bad lineup that he didnt even get a chance to build on his own until this free agency...derek fisher is a rookie coach im not expecting a 50 win team with this terrible lineup again he also inherited a bad team... if we can get a decent squad together with free agency and the draft then i will pass judgment on phil and fisher after next season

Last edited:
I just feel fisher is too laid back. I want to see my coach up off the sidelines screaming at the top of his lungs. Look at Popovich. 5 rings later and he's still lighting a fire under his top players. We always hire guys who just stand around looking confused and lost.

I just feel fisher is too laid back. I want to see my coach up off the sidelines screaming at the top of his lungs. Look at Popovich. 5 rings later and he's still lighting a fire under his top players. We always hire guys who just stand around looking confused and lost.

i agree here. you put Pat Riley out there today and he'll be yelling and screaming. i like my coaches like maniacs, calling guys soft in press conferences :lol:

**** like that ...

Back
Top Bottom