2017 FANTASY FOOTBALL THREAD VOL. ZERO RB IS STILL KING

The time has come. Fantasy Football season is here :nthat:.

qqsj28.jpg

Top Fantasy Football research sites:

Rotoviz - This has become my go-to site. Tons of content with very insightful data-driven articles and apps/tools for projections and research. Weekly D/ST streamer, QB streamer, TE streamer recommendations (never streamed QB or TE before? You will now), as well as a ton more content. I think the subscription is at $45 for the year now, but it's well worth the price for those of you who play in money leagues.
Rotoworld - My favorite site to check for breaking news and quick updates on players. Great articles and news blurbs for every player.
FantasyPros - These guys aggregate rankings from a ton of different sources to give consensus rankings. Great for preseason rankings and cheat sheets for your drafts.
Harris Football - Rankings based on game film analysis. Weekly podcasts.
Borischen - Algorithmic, tiered rankings. I use these for weekly matchups.
FFToolbox - Rankings, ADP, cheat sheets.
Fantasy Football Calculator - Mock drafts for a bunch of different league formats. My preferred site for mock drafting.
Rotowire - Pay site with good rankings, although I don't subscribe. I use the preseason free trial jig to download customizable spreadsheets with rankings for my roster/scoring settings for draft day. (Just use a fake email address/phone number, you don't need to verify anything.)

ESPN Fantasy Football
Yahoo Fantasy Football
MyFantasyLeague - Highly customizable league hosting site. Very popular for Dynasty leagues and leagues with unique rosters/scoring. Offers free trials for a few weeks of the season but costs $80+ every year.
Fantrax - Similar feature set to MFL, but with a much better UI and layout. Also offers completely free, mostly-full-featured league hosting. I run a Dynasty league with huge rosters and very in depth scoring settings and the free version fulfills all of my needs. Cheaper than MFL if you need some very intricate features. Great customer service as well.

---

When posting questions and asking for advice, make sure to include how many teams are in your league, the roster construction, and most importantly your scoring settings. This will make it easier to give the most accurate advice.

This is usually one of the better threads on NT every season. Let's keep that going :nthat:.

Last edited:
Was scanning the feed and the thread didn't catch my eye. We're back!

My league is on Yahoo and I'm commish. Do you guys have standard scoring systems (for PPR) that I should follow that will bring out fair play/results? Last season I kind of went overboard with bonus points (and the point system in general) and match-ups tended to get very lopsided.

Last edited:
Was scanning the feed and the thread didn't catch my eye. We're back!

My league is on Yahoo and I'm commish. Do you guys have standard scoring systems (for PPR) that I should follow that will bring out fair play/results? Last season I kind of went overboard with bonus points (and the point system in general) and match-ups were tended to get very lopsided.
For my league I do standard scoring all the way around (along with PPR obviously [which should be "standard" imo lol]). The only bonuses I do are 200+ Rush/Rec yards and 400+ Pass yards gets you 3 points. And a 50+ yard TD gets you 2 points. That way they're not too common (a few 50yd TDs per week and a few 200/400yd games per season). And even when they do occur it's not some astronomical figure that can skew a matchup. Also makes for a nice strategy to try and stack a QB/WR from the same team to get 4 extra points on a 50+ yarder.

EDIT: I also do 20 points for a shutout for D/ST. I did the math a few years ago and on average there are only like 3 shutouts per season. In the three years that we've had the shutout bonus I think only two D/ST's that were started in our league have actually recorded a shutout.

Last edited:
For my leagues I do standard scoring all the way around (along with PPR obviously [which should be "standard" imo lol]). The only bonuses I do are 200+ Rush/Rec yards and 400+ Pass yards gets you 3 points. And a 50+ yard TD gets you 2 points. That way they're not too common (a few 50yd TDs per week and a few 200/400yd games per season). And even when they do occur it's not some astronomical figure that can skew a matchup.

This same fairs to follow, may copy this route.

To anyone partaking in a live in-person draft, check this kit out. I'm going to order it closer to my draft date as the listing offers daily updates to the player labels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-Fan...-Draft-Board-and-Picture-Labels-/252964366261 looks too good to pass up for that price.

This same fairs to follow, may copy this route.

To anyone partaking in a live in-person draft, check this kit out. I'm going to order it closer to my draft date as the listing offers daily updates to the player labels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-Fan...-Draft-Board-and-Picture-Labels-/252964366261 looks too good to pass up for that price.
I made a couple of edits to that post, check it out.

Also for the draft board, check the one I linked in the OP. They're right around the same price and it comes with a sheet of 30 blank labels. On their site they have a downloadable PDF with labels of player updates/additions so that you can print them out on the blank sheet before your draft.

Sigh so apparently we're using keepers this year. 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 FLEX

My QB: Mariota

RBs to choose from: Lamar Miller, Rawls, Spencer Ware, Derrick Henry

WRs to choose from: aLLen Robinson, Cooks, Landry, Baldwin, Desean.

Im going to go with Mariota and Miller for first two positions, who should be WR and Flex be for a PPR league

I need to win it all this year. Missed the playoffs for the first time last year cause of the gronk injury and Allen Robinson going mia.

Sigh so apparently we're using keepers this year. 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 FLEX

My QB: Mariota

RBs to choose from: Lamar Miller, Rawls, Spencer Ware, Derrick Henry

WRs to choose from: aLLen Robinson, Cooks, Landry, Baldwin, Desean.

Im going to go with Mariota and Miller for first two positions, who should be WR and Flex be for a PPR league
Did you guys know you were gonna do a keeper league this year at last year's draft? If not I'd see if you can convince your league mates to push that back until next year. I know that would suck but I'm not a fan of converting to a keeper league the year after a "normal" draft. People draft way differently in a keeper league and manage trades/waivers differently as well. Your team as well as everyone else in the league would look alot different right now had you known you would be able to keep people this year.

Back to your question though, what are the stipulations for keeping people? Do you lose draft picks? Depending on what that is should influence who you wanna keep.

Anyone else think that given last year's super low injury rate and the depth of this year's running back class it's a no brainer to go zero rb again this year?

0.5 PPR...am I keeping Brady or Lamar Miller? Dez is my other keeper.

We don't have to give up any round draft pick for keepers btw

0.5 PPR...am I keeping Brady or Lamar Miller? Dez is my other keeper.

We don't have to give up any round draft pick for keepers btw

So you aren't "penalized" for any keepers? And I wouldn't keep Dez TBH.

2- QB leagues are life....

I'm looking for any suggestions on adding something new to my current league. Our roster is :

QB-2
RB- 2
WR-3
TE-1
D-1
Dl,LB,DB- 1 a piece....
4 bench spots.

Our league is going into the 4th year and I want to try something new whether it be roster construction , scoring (basic scoring with a slight bump for big plays) . I'm pushing for a keeper but getting a lot of push back from some of the league members.

2- QB leagues are life....

I'm looking for any suggestions on adding something new to my current league. Our roster is :

QB-2
RB- 2
WR-3
TE-1
D-1
Dl,LB,DB- 1 a piece....
4 bench spots.

Our league is going into the 4th year and I want to try something new whether it be roster construction , scoring (basic scoring with a slight bump for big plays) . I'm pushing for a keeper but getting a lot of push back from some of the league members.
I agree, 2QB leagues are great. My main league is a 2QB league. In single QB leagues the position is almost an afterthought. Adding a second really shakes up the way the draft goes.

Is yours PPR? I'd suggest adding that scoring option. It'll help WRs and RBs "catch up" to QB scoring a bit. I'd also suggest adding a Flex roster slot. As for big play scoring, check my post a few posts up. My league does 2 bonus points for 50+yd TDs. It makes stacking a QB/WR from the same team a great strategy, especially in 2QB leagues. We also do 3 bonus points for a 200+yd rush/receiving game and 400+yd passing game.

Anyone else think that given last year's super low injury rate and the depth of this year's running back class it's a no brainer to go zero rb again this year?
Absolutely.
http://rotoviz.com/2017/07/there-have-never-been-better-circumstances-for-zero-rb/
(View in Private/Incognito mode if you don't subscribe to RV)

EDIT: Forgot to post these:
http://rotoviz.com/2017/01/the-ff-i...onclusions-about-the-2016-season/?hvid=6gCFxV
http://rotoviz.com/2017/07/the-zeke-effect-rookie-rb-adp-is-creating-value/

Last edited:
zero RB is king? that screwed me last year lol

but then again I took, OBJ, Mike Evans, then Sammy Watkins first 3 picks. SMH

Goin Arob and then Lamar Miller screwed from the beginning last year. And now suddenly were a keeper league.

zero RB is king? that screwed me last year lol

but then again I took, OBJ, Mike Evans, then Sammy Watkins first 3 picks. SMH
OBJ and Evans were great :lol:. You must not have hit on any of your mid-late round RBs.

To your point though, Zero RB definitely screwed alot of people last year, including me. But check out the articles I posted last page. A perfect storm of circumstances contributed to it. If those factors return to "normal" (and there's an overwhelming chance that they do) then Zero RB should be a league winning strategy again. And that's not even counting the probability of people reverting back to RB-heavy draft approaches in the early rounds due to the WR-pocalypse and RB-heaven that was last year. That'll leave plenty of WR talent on the board.

OBJ was pretty good minus a few bad games but made up for it with others. those were the bright spots on my team, Watkins went out after a week lol

no decent RB and btw I had Jordan reed as my TE

I could have had an amazing team

had Eli has my QB and picked up Matt Ryan week 2 but rarely played him because I wanted Eli matched up with OBJ

Back
Top Bottom