2017 Tax Season and Return Thread Vol. Tax Podcast Mixed In?

^True, unless you are working straight magic or straight lies, there should be little variance in a basic filing. For a normal person, they may never find more than $6300 in deductions to ever find a need to itemize. So maybe those tax people are itemizing the hell out of it. But even then, if you have what is deemed zero tax liability, what is owed back to you should be no more than a couple k. Tax people who promise big returns should be shooed away with a 10 ft stick.. You're asking for trouble in the long run.

Ive heard stories of some claiming dependents or kids and 4-5 years later, it biting them in the butt.

Play around with the programs, you are never truly given a huge amount for "free". There may be exemptions or deductions that lower your liability, and if you in turn paid a huge amount in federal withholdings, youd get that back plus some liability. But how these people promise thousands more than you are actually "owed" is a crime

Last edited:
Going to try and do my own taxes next year. The lady I've been taking mine to get done seems to be on a price hike the last few years.

^True, unless you are working straight magic or straight lies, there should be little variance in a basic filing. For a normal person, they may never find more than $6300 in deductions to ever find a need to itemize. So maybe those tax people are itemizing the hell out of it. But even then, if you have what is deemed zero tax liability, what is owed back to you should be no more than a couple k. Tax people who promise big returns should be shooed away with a 10 ft stick.. You're asking for trouble in the long run.

Ive heard stories of some claiming dependents or kids and 4-5 years later, it biting them in the butt.

Play around with the programs, you are never truly given a huge amount for "free". There may be exemptions or deductions that lower your liability, and if you in turn paid a huge amount in federal withholdings, youd get that back plus some liability. But how these people promise thousands more than you are actually "owed" is a crime
Yeah I believe they are itemizing like crazy and fudging the numbers.

I saw someone on FB say she originally owed money then went to HR block and was now receiving thousands back.

Just a big scam that you will end up paying for in the long run.

I feel my state never gonna come. It almost been 3 weeks now!!!!!!. I filed on jan 24 and I been got my fed back.

Wish I knew the about when you get married you get less back unless you put married but withholding at a single rate. Got screwed this year filing 0 and just married.

I'm in the group of mine being delayed(child credit). Filed on the first of Feb and prob won't get my refund back until 1st week of March. No big deal just hate waiting...

Executive Order by Trump "easing the burden of the Affordable Care Act."

Yes the IRS hasn't updated any of the instructions in regards to this order, however I wouldn't pay a penalty knowing the ACA will be scraped. Doubtful that the IRS will enforce these penalties. File the return and claim exemption code A, Coverage considered unaffordable on Form 8965

update; Looks like the penalties will not be enforced for 2016 filers

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/14/irs-blow-to-obamacare-individual-mandate

http://www.sfchronicle.com/business...change-could-undermine-Obamacare-10932798.php

For most filers, filling out line 61 would be mandatory. The IRS would not accept 1040s unless the coverage box was checked, or the shared responsibility payment noted, or the exemption form included. Otherwise they would be labeled "silent returns" and rejected.

Instead, however, filling out that line will be optional.

NO ONE should be voluntarily paying any health insurance penalty when filing their 2016 tax returns.

Federal hit my account this morning :smokin have to check up on the status of my State refund.

Surprised TurboTax didn't send an email confirming it was received.

How do i get a hold of an IRS rep? I need my AIG from last year and im unabke to get in online and automated phone number. My info is correct, nothing has changed for years.

How do i get a hold of an IRS rep? I need my AIG from last year and im unabke to get in online and automated phone number. My info is correct, nothing has changed for years.

IIRC you can obtain it online if you know a certain amount of info - a code of some sort from last year, created by you or whoever filed for you. I remember a few weeks ago I tried and it kicked me out after X amount of tries and made me choose physical mail option, which obviously takes weeks.

I was lucky enough to call my accountant and they provided me with the code.

Have you try this?
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
That's the site I (attempted) to use. Like I mentioned, gotta be careful with the info you are using because if it's incorrect, it will prompt/force you into mail-in option.
I had to get my AGI from my last years TR myself. You have to request an official copy from the IRS takes like two weeks to arrive it sucks

Yeah, locks me out for 24 hours. Says my SSN is wrong, i legit typed it slow and verified every single number.

IIRC you can obtain it online if you know a certain amount of info - a code of some sort from last year, created by you or whoever filed for you. I remember a few weeks ago I tried and it kicked me out after X amount of tries and made me choose physical mail option, which obviously takes weeks.

I was lucky enough to call my accountant and they provided me with the code.

Yeah i put a code and it went through, but when i checked the status it said it was denied smh.

I was able to talk to someone briefly the other day, but now when i call i dont even get an option to speak with anyone. Not even if i push random numbers to force them to dirext me to someone.

Last edited:
Filed my taxes on freetaxusa on Jan 31 got my state tax back last thursday and got my federal back yesterday

In the past when I've had to call the IRS (for amended return info) I did 7AM, or w.e. time it is their lines open. Really gotta call at that hour because I found even if I tried at 7:30 or later, the wait time was horrendous.

Hmmm weird, I've gotten that link to work before when I needed my AGI.
The online portion you have to have a line of credit account to verify your identity. For example, they ask for your account number to either your mortgage, car loan or credit card. I'm a straight cash type of ***** so i could've verify myself online.

Back
Top Bottom