2018-2019 Washington Wizards Season Thread - FREEDOM!

Will this be the year that the Wizards finally win 50 games?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
upload_2019-6-21_9-11-20.png

All things considered, it was a solid draft for the Wizards. Probably in that B- range. No matter who we drafted at 9 or traded back to get, there would be a ton of questions. While I think Reddish, if all things work out, has the potential to be VERY good, the Wizards got an immediate starter in Rui. Not sure if that would be the case if they took someone like Little, Reddish, etc. at that same spot. Also, you can't understate the Schofield pick. Dude is going to be a rotational player from day 1 and can flat out stroke the rock. I don't think there's going to be much of a difference in the win/loss column and they'll most likely be selecting in the 1-10 range next year, the guys that they added last night are the ones who will be the faces of this shift from the EG to Shep era.

Agreed with this not being a bad draft. Just really hope he does become a day 1 player. Brooks made some very questionable rotations last season (giving Baker more time than Troy Brown, not giving Sato enough PT).

deadspin articles = :sick:

nice picks last night with hachimura and schofield. lots of people wanted reddish but it's a tossup imo

Nothing about it makes sense...it's all we got right now as wizards fans until Shep is eventually hired :lol: :smh:

(One theory I read was about Obama/Ujiri having ownership stakes in Monumental...that's about the only angle that could make sense as far as why 44 would have a vested interest in bringing his boy to DC to be part of this trainwreck.)
It doesn't require Barack Obama's grasp of history to realize why it would be a bad idea to lend your legitimacy to such a wretched and disreputable franchise.
We all remember how that worked out last time around.

WX121050714_1024x768.jpg

Relative to my abysmal expectations, I was actually pleasantly surprised by how they fared last night - though I agree that the process left something to be desired.

It never goes well when the Wizards reach for a raw player in pursuit of unlimited upside. They simply don’t have the necessary structure in place to develop players.
The Wizards are not the team to get the most out of a player like Sekou Doumbouya or Cam Reddish. How did that work for Kwame Brown, Jan Vesely, or Andray Blatche? This is not an organization that's proven capable of inculcating professionalism or harnessing untapped potential.

Rui Hachimura seems like the type of NBA-ready player who can step in and contribute right away. He's skilled, his effort has never, to my knowledge, been questioned, and he's going to improve with or without guidance from the team. That's essential. When you sign with Washington, you have to bring your own leadership.

Mercifully, Sheppard didn't do anything desperate with that selection, and while I don't know that it helps us much on the defensive end of the floor, where the team is historically bad, you have to at least feel good about adding three players with size, athleticism, and toughness to a roster that, on opening night 2018, often looked sluggish and unmotivated.

Perhaps most remarkably, Ted actually dusted off his wallet and purchased a second round pick.

As Wizards fans, we're generally cursed with low expectations, but I'm reasonably satisfied with how the draft went.
Thank goodness for small favors.

Of course hoping Rui does well but still sick we passed on Cam. But like the article above says I doubt an organization without any structure such as ours could tap into a players potential like his. It’s just a mess but hopefully in time we’ll find our way.

Agree with everything that is being said in here. I dread when the wiz draft a "prospect". We never develop anyone. Whether they fizzle out or we trade them. Never seems to work for us. I honestly thought Oubre had potential. I thought Otto had more to offer but we didn't let him develop fully. Not to mention all the people meth said. God i forgot about Jan Vesely....

I honestly like Schofiled pick more then Rui :lol:. But i think both are solid players and should give us productive minutes.

This is gonna be a rough year. :lol:

Gotta think that Beal is not gonna be on the roster when the season rolls around, and that's OK. He deserves better. At least with Shep (or what it seems so far,) he understands that the whole thing needs to be blown up. Clear out cap space and acquire young assets.

Imagine telling yourself after the Boston series two years ago that Isaiah Thomas would be on the Wizards and could be the starting PG :lol:

I hope Isiah returns to some form. If he can contribute it will helpful (obviously) while wall is out. But i remember thinking when we picked up Trey Burke that he would be a solid back up and that didn't pan out...then he went to new york and actually played pretty well.

And it is typical wizards that we actually had a decent back up in Sato and he leaves. I thought he was rounding into a solid player as well.

Back
Top Bottom