Washington Wizards Season Thread - Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

Should the Washington Wizards trade Bradley Beal?

• Total voters

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Groundhog Day

groundhog day.gif

It takes four playoff series wins to captures an NBA championship. Unfortunately for Ernie Grunfeld and the Washington Wizards, you have to win them all in the same season.

In sixteen years, Ernie Grunfeld's Washington Wizards won exactly four playoff series, while compiling a cumulative record of 536–678. Under his direction, the team failed to achieve a single fifty win season - but lost fifty or more games six times, including last year's 30-52 finish.

This most recent debacle proved too much to bear even for majority stakeholder and disappointment devotee Ted Leonsis. "It’s probably the biggest miss I’ve had in setting goals with [what] the actuality will be,” he commented at the time, adding, without any reported hint of irony or self-awareness, “I apologize, but I do think the fan base knows our sincerity in doing what is necessary.”

Predictably, and after a series of delusional smokescreens including, most pitifully, the NBA equivalent of offering to purchase Greenland, the Wizards decided to cheap out and elevate Grunfeld's sidekick Tommy Sheppard to General Manager. Instead of cleaning house, Leonsis merely rearranged the furniture.

If you're a Wizards fan, you've heard this song before.

"They say we're young and we don't know. We won't find out until we grow."

Among his first acts as the team's acting GM, Sheppard set about replacing the young forwards his predecessor fruitlessly pawned to evade a looming luxury tax bill, drafting Rui Hachimura and Admiral Schofield. A few days later, the team added Lakers castaways Mo Wagner and Isaac Bonga to facilitate the trade that would send Anthony Davis to the Lakers.

"They say our love won't pay the rent. Before it's earned, our money's all been spent."

When free agency began, the Wizards leapt into the fray, rushing to sign yet another a small, journeyman point guard with their mid-level exception, as if to beat the rush, then added an injury-plagued former All Star on a short-term make good deal - because old habits die hard.

After watching Bobby Portis, Jabari Parker, and Tomas Satoransky all leave in search of greener pastures (and bank accounts), the club managed to retain the services of Thomas Bryant, who agreed to a three year, $25 million deal on the heels of a break out sophomore season.

In all, only six players from last season's roster are still with the team: John Wall (now the league's highest paid coach), Bradley Beal, Thomas Bryant, Jordan McRae, salary albatross Ian Mahinmi, and last year's seldom used rookie, Troy Brown, Jr.

Earlier this week, Bradley Beal assented to a two year contract extension, including a 15% trade kicker and a player option for the 2021-2022 season, thus making him eligible for parole in the summer of 2021. To some, it is an endorsement of the "new" regime. To others, it's merely a short-term insurance policy that will place Beal in more or less the same situation as Anthony Davis found himself in last season.

For as long as most of us have been alive, Washington's sputtering NBA franchise has oscillated between mediocre and awful, like a quantum superposition.

ExecutiveDecision.jpg

Welcome back to the perpetual rebuild.

Rise and shine, campers. And don't forget your booties, because it's cold out there today.

It's cold out there every day.

Here we go once again.

Beal great guy but really wish we would have traded him.

Hola!? And we’re back! I’m in LA now, but will always be back in DC (Nats Dodgers Game 5 was rowdy). I put a few hundred on the both the Mystics to win it all, the Wizards to win over 28.5 games and the Nats to win the World Series (at 2500 to 1 back in September).

I’m somewhat surprised Beal resigned. For his sake I hope he stays healthy and gets to play for a winner someday. Whether that be here or in LA or New Orleans. Take care guys, let’s see how the 2019-2020 season goes. I think we all......already know doe.

Got the Wiz at 30 wins...The season would be a success if overall health is good and the young guys get alotta mins

Tix should be cheaper for most games so that’s a plus, Ima def try to catch some when I’m back up that way

What y’all think Brooks job security looking like? He can’t be blamed too much for what happens this season but at some point a new coach is needed

Any of DC Wiz fans located in LA? I’m trying to watch World Series Game 1, but my girl wants to go to the Clippers vs Lakers opener.

What’s a good section of Staples to sit in? Haven’t been since like 2005. Or where can I leave her distracted for about 4 hours?

Lateral move that had to be done cuz they could only be traded for each other at this point...Westbrook triple double hunting in an empty MCI Center should be interesting :lol:

I was excited to see Wall back on the court. Sucks he’s gone given how much he has done for DC.
Basketball wise I hope Russ and Beal can figure it out under Brooks

John is definitely the “Iverson” fan favorite for the franchise. He’ll always have a home.

#2 will be in the rafters one day (as should #23)
(Post edit: Russ is wearing #4, so I guess #0 will just stay out of circulation)

I honestly wasn’t expecting much from John, as the “I feel the best I’ve felt in years!!!” cliché always falls flat when you take into account they always feel “great” because they haven’t actually been playing. I was hoping at the least to see him play with this squad for a month before he was traded, but it's probably for the best to trade him now before the sheen wears off. Durant's acclaim of how John's looked during pick up games most definitely helped.

Speaking of which, #KD2DC got us Brooks, a "new" gm, and Westbrook…heh.

It also feels eerily disheartening to the Webber/Richmond trade (I’ll never forget when that news broke on 980 when I was riding with my old man). Richmond was 32/33 coming off an all-star season, but his best years were far behind him. Westbrook is 32 coming off an all-star season, but his best years are far behind him. Maybe “I Got You Babe” should replace “You Da Man” as the theme song here.

Speaking of which…

Phil Chenier? Gone. Buck? Gone. Now, John Wall? Gone. Ted might as well replace the Geico patch with a whole foods patch, I know y’all see it. That lineal cultural bond that was the bullets/wizards is fading fast.

Outside of that, I think Meth said all that needed to be said in the other thread.

We may as well just keep this as our season thread for 2020-21 as well, since we all knew last season was over before it even started, thanks to John's injury.

This year promises to be more interesting, at least. Brooks is in the last year of his deal, so it's possible Ted will shuffle some furniture around if the Wizards struggle to find their footing out of the gate and name Tony Brown the new head coach by the end of the season. We're not even underway yet, and Rui's already out for 3 weeks with an infection in both eyes.

The franchise is what it is, and a lateral contract swap does not meaningfully change its situation.

executivedecision-jpg.2440765

groundhog-day-gif.2440768

I think Meth said all that needed to be said in the other thread.
I'll include that below if anyone's interested.

I need Methodical Management Methodical Management reaction to this trade.
I'll be honest, the whole thing just makes me sad.

That may sound strange when comparing Westbrook's career accomplishments with Wall's. When I grew up, Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double was considered a feat that would never be witnessed in the modern NBA. Russ did it three times. He's been to the Finals. He's won the scoring title and the league's MVP award.

Just this past offseason, Houston gave up two lightly protected first round picks in 2024 and 2026, along with two first round pick swaps in 2021 and 2025 for him. One year later, we're sending out a player who hasn't logged a minute in nearly two years and a first round pick that, at worst, would be ninth overall in 2026. Phrased that way, it sounds like a great deal.

And yet, I'm disappointed - not just because, in my heart of hearts, I wanted to see how Wall would bounce back playing alongside what looked to be - pitifully - one of the better supporting casts of the Wall/Beal era. The fondness the city and fanbase have for John Wall has already been described at length and need not be rehashed. For all the mutual frustrations, Wall and this hapless, miserable excuse for a franchise had, to this point, demonstrated a mutual loyalty uncommon in contemporary sports.

I'd vainly hoped that Wall would accept more of a supporting role this season. He's had scant little help to speak of in his pro career, so how could he resent the continued development of the team's other star? He'd be under less pressure to hurl himself into the teeth of the defense on every possession while his teammates stood idle, as had been the team's wont when Gortat wasn't bobbling passes on roll cuts, or whenever Randy Wittman's creaky, antediluvian offense labored to free up the likes of Martell Webster on a slow-developing horns action. For the first time in years, Wall would have some young talent to run with, as opposed to the ghost of Trevor Ariza and geriatric lummoxes like Nene, Jared Dudley, Jason Smith, and Ian Mahinmi. It could've been a fun season.

We don't know, however, just how strained was the relationship between Wall and Beal. We don't know if Wall truly made, and stood by, his reported (and utterly delusional) trade "demand." As such, it's hard to understand why they had to make this move now, and why they had to give up a first round pick to do it.

As desperate as Houston was to unload Westbrook, who was Sheppard bidding against aside from himself here? In contrast to James Harden, whose public and insistent trade demands prompted a series of lowball offers unlikely to improve as the season progressed, Beal has been a consummate pro - largely confining his well-justified frustrations behind closed doors, leaving open the possibility of a long term future in Washington, and even signing a two year contract extension. The souring of a Wall/Beal partnership would be far less disastrous for the organization than the continued deterioration of the already volatile situation in Houston. The Rockets mortgaged their future to get Westbrook. They can't just pivot into a traditional rebuild. Washington can (and likely will.)

Swapping Wall for Westbrook helps Houston out of their jam more than it helps Washington out of ours. Either way, we had to take our medicine with a bad contract. We needed all the picks we could get - especially since the team's miserly owner has a proclivity for shamelessly selling all of our second rounders.

From a contract standpoint, Wall for Westbrook is a lateral move. Either way, you're in salary cap jail for an entire presidential term with no realistic chance to compete for a title. Giving up a pick, then, is a clear loss for questionable gain.

A Beal/Westbrook tandem will not work. Russ has reportedly said he wants to go back to playing "his way." For all the changes the league is making to the format, there's still only one ball.

Realistically, I, like most Wizards fans, knew that Wall and Beal would never compete for a title together. Wall's supermax contract was pure toxic waste, to be encased in concrete and buried deep underground for the basketball equivalent of a 24,000 year half-life. All we could reasonably do was to amass young picks and talent while awaiting its pending expiration. We'd have some fun this year, the young guys would hopefully beat the franchise odds and show some glimmer of progress, and we'd bank another set of ping pong balls in the franchise's perpetual scheme to attain fortune through lotto scratchers.

If, by some miracle, Hachimura or Advija become emerging stars, they could give it a go and try to make some noise in the postseason. If not, set Beal free, ideally to a delusional bottom feeder or mediocre team you can hustle the way OKC swindled Houston and LA or the Celtics bamboozled Brooklyn.

In either scenario, we'd get one final season or so with Wall and Beal with the youngsters in tow: a last hurrah. There would be a sense of transition for the fans, like watching Gil pass the torch to Wall.

Now, we're left with one fewer draft asset and another doomed chemistry experiment.

Who knows? Maybe Westbrook somehow returns to form this season, we can dump him off on the Knicks or something, and the whole thing starts to look like a clear win from a basketball standpoint.

Even so, and with whatever friction existed between Wall and Beal, losing this hurts:

wall_beal.5eed4d3432818.jpg

On that, at least, every Wizards fan who reached out to me yesterday could agree.

I don’t disagree as far as DC/chocolate city culture goes. So perhaps if you’re just talking about the city proper, I could agree. If you’re talking about the whole area, Ovechkin is clearly the bigger draw (not particularly close tbh) and the much better player in his sport. It’s a reason why Wiz tickets were so attainable even when they were good and Caps were selling out every game for a decade plus. Ovechkin also brought a championship to the city.
3D6ACF98-BC85-416A-97F1-86513B263D36.jpeg
Let's be real: you know full well that damn near everyone in this photo came from Maryland or Virginia.

If you showed me a close up of the crowd, I'd have thought I was looking at a Trump rally.

Westbrook averages a near triple double and gets flipped for a 1st round pick...Thats the Wiz championship this season

Welp :lol:

Had no answer for Joel, but the team looked fine to me for their first game.

I legit don't know how i feel. A good team wins that game last night....

I guess if nothing else Avdija looked like he might be solid at some point

Scott Brooks lost that game.

Midway through the second quarter, we were down double digits and looking out of it. We go to a lineup of Beal, Westbrook, Avdija, Bertans, and Wagner for about 8 minutes and it changes the game. We never see it again.

With the momentum turning against us, he leaves Troy Brown Jr., Ish Smith, and Robin Lopez out there for what feels like an eternity, and doesn't put the starters back in until we're behind with five minutes left.

In the closing seconds when we need a score, what does he draw up? Thomas Bryant for three. Bryant, by that point, was already 0 for 2 from that distance. Why?

Classic Wizards L all around.

Getting Rui back will help, but this bench is awful and it's going to cost us a lot more games as the season progresses.

Back
Top Bottom