2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Ive waited since 2000 for a decent looking retro of these, they look super nice they did a nice job on these as far as the appearance goes. as far as quality goes omg these are cheaply made, as soon as i picked them up they felt like fakes did 10 years ago. anybody who owned ogs back in the day will understand. Air jordans used to be superior quality over most shoes latest greatest materials even over other nikes they had a huge amount of quality put into them ... these are the opposite. these 2019 6s feel like an empty shell or ghost of what an og used to be. this is the first retro ive bought that nike has done and I wanted to return based on quality. I was at least hoping for BM5 nubuck .. these are horrible quality even the maroon 6s are totally better quality. these 2019s lack materials and padding big time. holding them in my hand really hits home when the ogs were nikes flagship shoes and were such high quality. if the bc4 are like these I might cry

As an og head myself, I partially agree. The ogs of many Jordan’s are better than many retros. Especially the horrible incarnations released between 2008-2014.

That being said, I think your post paints a somewhat rosy view on the quality of some ogs. I loved the og Infrareds as much as the next person, but let’s not pretend that their quality was absolutely perfect. The durabuck would crack or chip after x amount of years, and more importantly, the midsole was made of open cell polyurethane which means the shoe would crack and crumble over time. Also, on one of my og pairs, I remember the spoiler becoming detached after about a year and a half of wearing, so the stitching wasn’t always on point either.

These newer retros on some of the older models are now being made with closed cell polyurethane. If so, this would make the retros BETTER quality than the og’s, in that aspect at least. Imo the quality on og Jordans got much better around the time the 9’s or 10’s dropped.

I disagree that the 91’s are THAT much better than the 19’s, and I’ve owned both. Only time will really tell. It will be interesting to see how wearable these new ones are in a decade.

I also disagree with the 99’ 4 being the only retro that’s as good as the og. The last two 11 retros are right there with the ogs in terms of both appearances and quality, and I could make the argument that the “space jam” 2016 is actually BETTER than the og 11 due to the stitching.

My point is, I love the ogs but let’s not paint a rosy picture of them either.

Last edited:
I am going to say yeah. Being around when the og released and having a pair as a youngin, I don’t recall ever seeing pink or ever hearing they looked pink by anyone that I was around.
Man I didn't have cus parents couldn't afford them but there was this kid that had every pair every year, I would just stare at them during P.E. my moms didn't buy me a pair until 93 bugs 8 but I digress, it was red to me too

mine has a speck of black paint on the icy blue part of the midsole. any way I can get it off without risking messing them up?

also has a glue stain, any easy way to get those off the suede? not tripping over it but might as well make them perfect if possible

We caught up with Gentry Humphrey, Jordan Brand VP of Footwear, to talk about all-things “Infrareds.” Check it out below.

SLAM: Does Mike get hype for these releases, the special, legacy-type ones with all the buzz leading up to them?

Gentry Humphrey: MJ is more passionate about footwear design than most people I know. He pushes us to maintain the authenticity of the original model, while not being afraid of paying attention to details and craftsmanship. The VI is extra special to him and our brand because he won his first championship in them.

SLAM: The “Infrareds” had a crazy run in the spotlight from the ’91 All-Star Game to the Finals. Why did Mike love this colorway so much?

GH: First, Michael is an intense competitor. He was known to gain motivation in many ways. He felt that black based shoes were meant to be played in the opposing team’s arena. It was a reminder that he had to raise his level of intensity in what could have been a hostile environment. The infrared was a pop of color, that gave a black based shoe, added energy. It was a turn up on a traditional color of red.

SLAM: With that long in-game run in mind, what is the “Infrareds” legacy in the grand scheme of the Air Jordan line?

GH: It’s synonymous with MJ’s success as an athlete, in a relentless pursuit of being a champion. As far as legacy in the Air Jordan line and the entire sneaker industry as whole, you now see Infrared as one of the brand’s bloodline colors. When you see Infrared anywhere, you automatically think of the AJVI.

SLAM: Do you think it’s an underrated silhouette?

GH: It’s been almost three decades since the silhouette’s original launch and you still see people of all ages wearing the AJVI on a daily basis due to its timeless design. Trends come and go but sneakers like the AJVI are always in style.

SLAM: This 2019 retro version is a stitch-for-stich match to the OG that dropped almost 30 years ago. Why is now the right time to return to the materials, the stitching and the color?

GH: Timing wise, it was a no brainer with All-Star being in Charlotte this year. It’s a great opportunity for the brand to provide access the OG fans who remember that ’91 game and also a chance for us to introduce the shoe to a new generation who are pursuing their own dreams and can take inspiration from the story of this shoe and MJ’s legacy. When it comes to the construction, we strive to deliver a premium level of quality and original construction. When MJ saw this year’s AJ VI for the first time, he gave us that MJ smile! It was validation and an indication of a job well done. You could tell it provided a flashback of a very memorable point in time. A smile equaling success!

SLAM: Sneaker nerds are really excited for the 3M’s return, too, another OG detail. Are you surprised to see how much the internet has been fiending for this release?

GH: No, the shoe is an all-time favorite. I believe that our attention to details and pursuit of fine craftsmanship is expected. Our consumers have come to appreciate the additional nuances that we apply on re-released models. It allows them to have another reason to stay connected to an all-time classic.

SLAM: You’ve been around for so many amazing colorways and silhouettes and collaborations. It seems like every time a Bred Air Jordan drops, though, there’s still so much desire, almost like Mike is going to play in them again. Why does the black and red colorway continue to have so much power?

GH: A black and red Air Jordan is always going to be special to people who love sneakers and basketball. When you pair that with the silhouettes that MJ did amazing things in, you truly get to own a piece of history. The beauty of Bred Air Jordan shoes comes from combining MJ’s legacy of playing in them with whatever that particular sneaker means to you and your journey. For some, it was their favorite sneaker as a kid and now they want their kids to have it. For others, it was something they maybe couldn’t get the last time they released so this is their chance to finally own it. Each story is unique and that’s what makes a sneaker like this so special.

Long time visitor. Just signed up.
Hello to all. This release had me sign-up. Very Exciting release. Got mine today. As close to 1991 as I remember.
20190220_142437.jpg
20190220_142733.jpg

We caught up with Gentry Humphrey, Jordan Brand VP of Footwear, to talk about all-things “Infrareds.” Check it out below.

SLAM: Does Mike get hype for these releases, the special, legacy-type ones with all the buzz leading up to them?

Gentry Humphrey: MJ is more passionate about footwear design than most people I know. He pushes us to maintain the authenticity of the original model, while not being afraid of paying attention to details and craftsmanship. The VI is extra special to him and our brand because he won his first championship in them.

SLAM: The “Infrareds” had a crazy run in the spotlight from the ’91 All-Star Game to the Finals. Why did Mike love this colorway so much?

GH: First, Michael is an intense competitor. He was known to gain motivation in many ways. He felt that black based shoes were meant to be played in the opposing team’s arena. It was a reminder that he had to raise his level of intensity in what could have been a hostile environment. The infrared was a pop of color, that gave a black based shoe, added energy. It was a turn up on a traditional color of red.

SLAM: With that long in-game run in mind, what is the “Infrareds” legacy in the grand scheme of the Air Jordan line?

GH: It’s synonymous with MJ’s success as an athlete, in a relentless pursuit of being a champion. As far as legacy in the Air Jordan line and the entire sneaker industry as whole, you now see Infrared as one of the brand’s bloodline colors. When you see Infrared anywhere, you automatically think of the AJVI.

SLAM: Do you think it’s an underrated silhouette?

GH: It’s been almost three decades since the silhouette’s original launch and you still see people of all ages wearing the AJVI on a daily basis due to its timeless design. Trends come and go but sneakers like the AJVI are always in style.

SLAM: This 2019 retro version is a stitch-for-stich match to the OG that dropped almost 30 years ago. Why is now the right time to return to the materials, the stitching and the color?

GH: Timing wise, it was a no brainer with All-Star being in Charlotte this year. It’s a great opportunity for the brand to provide access the OG fans who remember that ’91 game and also a chance for us to introduce the shoe to a new generation who are pursuing their own dreams and can take inspiration from the story of this shoe and MJ’s legacy. When it comes to the construction, we strive to deliver a premium level of quality and original construction. When MJ saw this year’s AJ VI for the first time, he gave us that MJ smile! It was validation and an indication of a job well done. You could tell it provided a flashback of a very memorable point in time. A smile equaling success!

SLAM: Sneaker nerds are really excited for the 3M’s return, too, another OG detail. Are you surprised to see how much the internet has been fiending for this release?

GH: No, the shoe is an all-time favorite. I believe that our attention to details and pursuit of fine craftsmanship is expected. Our consumers have come to appreciate the additional nuances that we apply on re-released models. It allows them to have another reason to stay connected to an all-time classic.

SLAM: You’ve been around for so many amazing colorways and silhouettes and collaborations. It seems like every time a Bred Air Jordan drops, though, there’s still so much desire, almost like Mike is going to play in them again. Why does the black and red colorway continue to have so much power?

GH: A black and red Air Jordan is always going to be special to people who love sneakers and basketball. When you pair that with the silhouettes that MJ did amazing things in, you truly get to own a piece of history. The beauty of Bred Air Jordan shoes comes from combining MJ’s legacy of playing in them with whatever that particular sneaker means to you and your journey. For some, it was their favorite sneaker as a kid and now they want their kids to have it. For others, it was something they maybe couldn’t get the last time they released so this is their chance to finally own it. Each story is unique and that’s what makes a sneaker like this so special.

Gentry is full of crap man. Turned Jordans into dunks. Garbage colorways and FUGLY collabo/designs.

How dare they put NIKE AIR on those TRASH social status pony hair black and purple abomination of 6s. Disgusting

Man I didn't have cus parents couldn't afford them but there was this kid that had every pair every year, I would just stare at them during P.E. my moms didn't buy me a pair until 93 bugs 8 but I digress, it was red to me too
I was very fortunate to get Jordans while I was younger because knowing where I grew up at, I know times were not easy for my family. I am very thankful for it. These were my first pair of Jordans.

mine has a speck of black paint on the icy blue part of the midsole. any way I can get it off without risking messing them up?

also has a glue stain, any easy way to get those off the suede? not tripping over it but might as well make them perfect if possible

Question 1. 50% isopropyl, 50% water
Question 2. Leave it be

Question 1. 50% isopropyl, 50% water
Question 2. Leave it be
tried the isopropyl and it didn't do anything. applied it with a q-tip and scrubbed it in with it but nothing. oh well. I don't want to mess it up even worse so I might just let it be for now

WdtsZ1p.jpg

Got my pair and I gotta say these are a must cop for anyone, even despite the quality control. Glue on the laces, couple holes not poked out all the way, and glue stench up the *** :lol:

The heel contrast in certain lighting is a really nice touch too :pimp:

My pairs finally came in and I made a good choice buying 2. Was able to match up a perfect pair from my snkrs and ftl order. Only thing really wrong with the non perfect pair is the fact that the collar is bumpy. Overall I'm content with these and the contrast heel is noticeable for sure but visibility definitely depends on lighting and angles. (Excuse messy bed I was studying before they arrived)
20190220_134015.jpg
20190220_134643.jpg
20190220_135008.jpg
20190220_134816.jpg

And last but not least my humble Nike Air collection thus far. :blush:
20190220_153008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom