2023 Official MLB Season Thread

No sick days for Dipoto haha! M's are definitely getting the bang for their buck with him, I admire his aggressiveness. Also, it's going to be weird seeing Joe Kelly in Dodger Blue but I like it!

Glad my White Sox name is in the mix.

NOT confident that they will land either Machado or Harper, but man... Imagine your corner OF spots are Eloy & Bryce :sick::pimp:

The AL Central is pretty wide open for years to come, aside from the blank check they can offer either of those 2 stars, I'm sure they can sell them on that.

Tigers = rebuild
Royals = rebuild
Indians = Window closing, and if they trade Kluber then it's shut

I'm just glad to see their name in the mix. Idk what I'd do if they landed Bryce.

Who is really in on Bryce? Just the White Sox and the Phillies?

I'm sure there's some other teams. Feel like more people in on Manny. Also feel like certain teams who have some restrictions currently are telling Boras give this some time to see if we can be creative with the rosters, make some trades i.e. the Dodgers

I'm sure there's some other teams. Feel like more people in on Manny. Also feel like certain teams who have some restrictions currently are telling Boras give this some time to see if we can be creative with the rosters, make some trades i.e. the Dodgers
I’m sure other teams are interested by who actually has the money to sign him. I’m still leaning on that it’s only the Sox and Phillies. And the nationals are the backup plan . Dodgers aren’t spending that money

Have a bad feeling he going to end up in LA and Phillies ain't getting either
Idk, the way the dodgers have been operating the last few years, I don’t see them throwing that much money/time for 1 player.

They seem to be operating like the Rays but with a little more money

I need Realmuto on the Braves... Felt like C was the only position besides pitching that needed an improvement

Look at what the Nationals did not accomplish while having Bryce and a decent supporting cast.

He's not worth $300+

Would rather have Bryce for $30M per than Patric Corbin and a $6M player, whoever he may be. In fact, I think anyone who would rather have Corbin and a $6M a year player needs to have their heads examined.

Look, I get not wanting to invest $300M into one player. I do. But the difference between a superstar contract and a decent player contract is much smaller than it should be. Bryce will likely be making less than $7M a year less than Corbin on an average basis. I dont know why any team would choose not to sign the superstar in favor of a mediocre to good pitcher, and a $6M scrub.

I'm assuming Encarnación gets traded again soon or is this just for salary relief later on?

dland24 dland24

I don’t think $30 mil per year is the issue, I think the length of the contract is the bigger issue/risk

I get it he’s young, but a lot can happen in the next 6-7 years making the latter part of the contract attrocious when you still owe him 100+ mil

Just look at contracts of pujols, miggy, arod, etc

dland24 dland24

I don’t think $30 mil per year is the issue, I think the length of the contract is the bigger issue/risk

I get it he’s young, but a lot can happen in the next 6-7 years making the latter part of the contract attrocious when you still owe him 100+ mil

Just look at contracts of pujols, miggy, arod, etc

I totally understand that. The length is the issue. Which is why I believe you are going to start seeing outrageous short term contracts in terms of annual salary. Like 3 years, $120M type contracts.

I think your comparisons are bad comparisons though.

Did ARod's contract hamper the Rangers ability to sign other players? Maybe. But ARod actually lived up to the entire contract. He was worth every penny. And he signed at a similar age to Bryce now. The Rangers got an MVP candidate every year he was on the team. The Yankees traded for him, got a multiple time MVP and a title.

Albert Pujols was at least 32 when he signed that massive contract. There was no one in the world who believed he would live up to that contract for the duration of it like ARod did. That was a terrible panic signing by the Angels, and shouldnt be used as the measuring stick for Bryce. Cabrera, like Pujols, was in his 30s when he signed his extension.

The only contract that is similar at all is Alex Rodriguez, and I firmly believe Alex lived up to his massive contract. He won 3 MVPs (and they werent all at the beginning), 9 All Stars, 6 Silver Sluggers and a ring. I am not saying Bryce is ARod, but it is THE closest comparison. Bryce will be 35 when a 10 year contract expires. Thats 3-4 years older than when Pujols and Miggy STARTED their contracts.

Pujols/miggy were older than Bryce, but their numbers were also way better. Like I mentioned a few days ago, Bryce has only got over .300 once or twice and had over 100 rbis just once. Those numbers don’t scream out “best player in baseball” to me

I wasn’t talking about the initial 10year deal arod signed, I’m talking about the deal he resigned with the Yankees in 2007 for 10 years/$275. The Yankees were dying to get rid of his contract towards the end. He won that World Series in 2009, but how were his numbers (in relation to salary) after that?

But I wouldn’t be surprised when they start doing shorter contracts but bigger per year. It’s just a matter of time

I'm thinking Harper & Machado will both get 10 year deals with opt outs somewhere inbetween.

D6DED364-C659-4D68-AAF7-2E906EA955F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom