2020-21 NBA Offseason thread: Officially a wrap

I'm just throwing ideas out there, there's no fool proof way to determine who should be eligible but I know for sure that the current system isn't working. I want a system to reward the truly elite guys like but exclude players like Wall, Gobert, Draymond, etc. What's your recommendation?
Leave it as is and let the teams decide how they wanna blow their money. If the Jazz decides that Goober is worth max money, **** it, let em spend it.

Goober is still eligible because of winning DPOY. I wouldn’t cash him out but it’s not my money.

First and foremost the NBA needs to take Defensive DPOY out as a supermax qualifier. LOL @ Draymond and Gobert being supermax eligible.
It puts teams in a bad spot because they either:
1. Offer good but not elite players like Gobert the supermax and hamstring themselves for the next 4-5 years
2. Trade them before contract negotiations to avoid the situation altogether
3. Just have an unhappy disgruntled star player who feels like the organization didn't do right by them.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, there's no fool proof way to determine who should be eligible but I know for sure that the current system isn't working. I want a system to reward the truly elite guys like but exclude players like Wall, Gobert, Draymond, etc. What's your recommendation?

again

CE6FDB18-D39F-4867-82F1-8998C9895D55.jpeg

wall before his legs fell apart was deserving.

We shouldn’t need to have rules to save a GM from themselves :lol: Teams should be able to make their own decisions. Even if the decision is a bad one... This is the real world, man up and get your **** together.

Did y’all discuss this story? Help me understand this if I’m not seeing it clearly. Because what I see they’re showing us the dirty side to the business, and this is a scandal (that probably happens all the time) that is going to get swept under the rug.

It’s a slippery slope. Wilkes said he has close ties to Kawhi’s camp and can convince Kawhi to join the clippers, and his fee is $2.5....

So this **** is under the table / off the record. Where do you draw the line? Oh there is no line. He was promised $2.5m. Could have been $5M, $25m, $95M etc.

So an unrestricted free agent could say (off the record), “Team A/B/C - you want to sign me? You should convince my boy. Wine and dine him. Oh and bring a checkbook. And if I sign your contract, he’s getting $___ for his services”

What am I missing :nerd:

Did y’all discuss this story? Help me understand this if I’m not seeing it clearly. Because what I see they’re showing us the dirty side to the business, and this is a scandal (that probably happens all the time) that is going to get swept under the rug.

It’s a slippery slope. Wilkes said he has close ties to Kawhi’s camp and can convince Kawhi to join the clippers, and his fee is $2.5....

So this **** is under the table / off the record. Where do you draw the line? Oh there is no line. He was promised $2.5m. Could have been $5M, $25m, $95M etc.

So an unrestricted free agent could say (off the record), “Team A/B/C - you want to sign me? You should convince my boy. Wine and dine him. Oh and bring a checkbook. And if I sign your contract, he’s getting $___ for his services”

What am I missing :nerd:

He better have some texts, screenshots or voice recordings to back up his claims or he’s getting nothing.

Wilkes went on to state that he help orchestrate a deal with the West and Robertson that included a Southern California home and travel expense account. After signing with the Clippers, Wilkes was invited to Leonard's celebratory dinner with West. There, he alleges West once again agreed to pay him the over $2 million that was owed.

West agreed to the terms prompting Wilkes to "immediately" start working on convincing Kawhi to sign with the Clippers. Wilkes claimed he was the driving force in the Clippers acquiring Paul George to intrigue Kawhi. He also says that he gave West and the Clippers information needed to tailor their pitch for Leonard.

"This information was vital because it was the exact information Kawhi Leonard wanted to hear at the time in order to effectuate his signing with the Clippers," the lawsuit says.

LAWWWWWD.

Why do people always want to get rid of the supermax and not get rid of the salary cap instead?

getting rid of the salary cap is the worst thing the league could possibly do to fix competitive balance. The NBA would become like baseball where big market teams or teams with wealthy owners have three times the salary as smaller market teams. The Tillman Fertitta of the world don't want to go dollar for dollar against Steve Ballmer and Joe Lacob in a league with no salary cap. That's a recipe for disaster

Getting rid of max contracts in theory would spread out talent.

Don't forget the fantasy draft is today fellas.

getting rid of the salary cap is the worst thing the league could possibly do to fix competitive balance. The NBA would become like baseball where big market teams or teams with wealthy owners have three times the salary as smaller market teams. The Tillman Fertitta of the world don't want to go dollar for dollar against Steve Ballmer and Joe Lacob in a league with no salary cap. That's a recipe for disaster

True, but I like that in Baseball haha. Keeps the rivalries on edge and also the small markets squeeze in every now and then and win/land someone unexpected.

Why do people always want to get rid of the supermax and not get rid of the salary cap instead?
I think the issue is, the salary cap helps keep things balance to allow small-market teams to be able to get some of the talents otherwise, everyone would want to go to the lakers, Miami etc.

Yea baseball has pretty good parity. Yankees haven't even won in 11 years and 9 years before that. Red sox and giants were dominating with bums

As a huge Sonics fan in the 90's that GP and Reignman segment was a great watch and brought back so many memories from that era. Of course GP isn't held in that high of regard as he never won a chip with any of those squads, I still think their best shot was the two previous seasons when MJ didn't make the finals and they had the Rockets number in the season but didn't face them either year of those playoffs.

Segment also made me miss the old Seattle of the 90's-early 00s and it was great seeing them do a small section on Pearl Jam and Sir Mix a lot. Still can't believe there hasn't been a team in the city for over 10 years now smh.

Back
Top Bottom