2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

they didn't buy bape until 2010ish, well after bape had started selling the bapesta. they did recently change the design to it being slightly different than an af1.

****, I meant to type *now owned by I.T.

But while the Hong Kong layer puts up more hurdles now, I wonder if the fact that Nigo was doing this all out of Japan (regardless of worldwide spread) played a factor in why Nike decided to embrace it instead of pursue it.

CECBE5D9-5421-4350-8DC2-D5098B101425.jpeg

Rocked these babies today.

Cool lil fashion channel. Was just watching this a few weeks ago:

In short:
Bape actually switch things around making a ripoff, yet a completely original shoe. Most notably they used their logo. No too close to Nike branding are feature, and even if Nike wanted sued them they couldn't b/c the 20yr copyright patent on the Uptown's expired the year the Bapesta's released (82-02).

That's pretty interesting actually. It's also probably why Nike seems to be going after WL for Trademark infringement. The patent on dunks is up, but he made the mistake of referring to them as "dunks" even if the shoe isn't branded as such. And "dunk" is trademarked. That jason swoosh, while hideous, is also still a swoosh.

Last edited:
The sad part is resale prices on the WL will probably go up because of this. Dudes on eBay will put them up with a caption like “The shoes Nike doesn’t want you to own!” As long as that clown doesn’t make another dime off of them I’m cool with whatever.
Also, how funny would it be if fake factories started making fakes of them? That would be mind warping for sure.
They already have.

Patents on designs are an odd thing. You only need to like change a few things to make a shoe an original design from the one you are copying. Levi’s made a Supra Skytop knock off when that shoe was popular and it was pretty damn close. Dunks have been imitated time and time again but at least they left the Nike logo alone.

Cool lil fashion channel. Was just watching this a few weeks ago:

In short:
Bape actually switch things around making a ripoff, yet a completely original shoe. Most notably they used their logo. No too close to Nike branding are feature, and even if Nike wanted sued them they couldn't b/c the 20yr copyright patent on the Uptown's expired the year the Bapesta's released (82-02).

Dunks came out shortly after AF1 shouldn't that copyright patent ve expired too? Dave and Barry also sold an AF1 knockoff with the 'Starbury'.

Dunks came out shortly after AF1 shouldn't that copyright patent ve expired too? Dave and Barry also sold an AF1 knockoff with the 'Starbury'.
My guess is SB Dunks must have a different patent. Since they are designed to be for skateboarding. That would make sense as to why they can sue them for copyright infringement.

My guess is SB Dunks must have a different patent. Since they are designed to be for skateboarding. That would make sense as to why they can sue them for copyright infringement.

I’m not claiming to be a patent lawyer like most people suddenly are, but I think the biggest thing he really messed up here was using the dunk name to advertise and promote his product. I believe the patent on the shoe is up, but Nike still has the dunk name trademarked and he stepped on that.

To the parrots that have chirped "Nigo did it, Ari did it" - correct, they did it. Therefore it's been done and shouldn't have been done again. I looked at Warren Lotas' other "designs" too. Cookie cutter wannabe vintage, lookin straight off the Forever 21 rack. If you bought into his bull**** I'd genuinely love to know what appealed to you and why you felt like he was someone you wanted to sport and support.

To the parrots that have chirped "Nigo did it, Ari did it" - correct, they did it. Therefore it's been done and shouldn't have been done again. I looked at Warren Lotas' other "designs" too. Cookie cutter wannabe vintage, lookin straight off the Forever 21 rack. If you bought into his bull**** I'd genuinely love to know what appealed to you and why you felt like he was someone you wanted to sport and support.
I have several warren pieces. I got basically all the bucks gear cause I'm a huge bucks fan and thats what turned me onto him in the first place. I also have a "shoot your local heroin dealer" hoodie and the joker shirt. Being into vintage as well he def takes "inspiration" from some pieces lol. I own the first dunks too, but I have both the fugazi 1s as well. I def don't consider them fakes at all. To me a fake or replica is something blatantly trying to be passed off as authentic and attempting to fool people as a complete copy as an authentic or using branding that is a carbon copy of the company. If you want to say his dunks are unoriginal or whatever that would fit as well but I consider them premium bootlegs or a very loosely termed custom. Also, rep factories are producing fakes of his shoes all the way back to the first pair. I could be completely wrong but I belive that pair of Heinekens you posted was a fake, but again could be completely wrong there.

Back
Top Bottom