2024 NBA Draft Thread

Honestly I was just messing. The bonds and relationships built with a program was my argument before the NBA came in with the G league stimulus package. Some of the greatest college prospects would rather play for a top program/coach for a year. These same relationships built team up in the NBA years later.

But there are so many more incentives of skipping college for a top prospect now that I wouldn’t question any kids decision on going the G league route now.

Cooper attempted 21 FT's tonight? Wut

They can’t stay in front of him.

it’s wild, because He was in foul trouble himself too. Sharife Had 3 fouls in the first half, and had to sit a min. Auburn got in the bonus with like 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. So that’s what did a lot of it. And late game fouling. He probably really attempted like 10 true fts. The other were late game intention fouls and Bonus FT.

Inside the NBA G League Ignite's plan to develop top draft picks

In the middle of a routine scrimmage, Bobby Brown called out, "Baby."

The basketball journeyman passed to former McDonald's All American Brandon Ashley on the wing, then G League veteran Reggie Hearn jogged to the strongside block for a post touch against Jalen Green -- an 18-year-old guard, top-ranked NBA draft prospect and in this case, "Baby."

The play is designed to test Green's defense, his swing skill at the next level.

"Yeah, you heard about that?" Green said with a laugh. "I caught onto that too late."

With the help of his coaches and teammates, Green eventually figured out the set and stonewalled Hearn, stringing together multiple stops to the excitement of the veterans around him.

A group of former NBA players and coaches has spent the past few months putting Green through a crash course in professional basketball. Green (No. 3 in ESPN's top 100), Jonathan Kuminga (No. 5), Daishen Nix (No. 35) and Isaiah Todd (No. 85) have been developing in relative isolation in Walnut Creek with the G League Ignite, the NBA's new project that gives players an alternative pathway for their draft-eligible season.

"We've been getting a ton of calls from NBA execs, scouts that want to see and ask questions about who's doing what," said Ignite head coach and former NBA player Brian Shaw. "We've purposely kind of kept everybody at bay up until this point while we're training and getting ready."

With the pandemic wiping out high school all-star games, most NBA executives have only seen these prospects through high school video and film from a pair of scrimmages against other midlevel professionals. Otherwise, the four players remain wild cards to NBA teams.

In the coming weeks, the Ignite prospects will finally be thrust onto center stage. They leave for the G League bubble on Sunday -- their first opportunity to prove themselves to scouts in person. Evaluators will have a week of practices to watch the prospects before the 18 participating teams take the floor in Orlando, Florida, with the Ignite playing 15 to 20 games.

Before the team got ready to leave -- and after an initial quarantine period and daily PCR testing -- I spent three days watching practice and conducting socially-distanced interviews with the players and coaches involved. Here's what I learned about this important, potentially groundbreaking NBA venture in its initial season.

The Walnut Creek setup

For the first two months, only the teenage prospects were present, with a limit of one player and one coach at each basket due to COVID-19 protocols.

"Tough days, running by yourself," Nix said of the limitations during the August start.

On top of the G League season initially being in flux, the Ignite were stationed in one of the most locked-down areas in the country, which posed initial challenges for young players in a new environment. Conversations with outside sources, who have not entered the Ignite bubble, revealed doses skepticism surrounding the development infrastructure, largely citing inconsistent evening gym access.

But developing a program like this on the fly in the middle of a pandemic is complicated. Amid a loose environment fostered by Shaw and his staff, team camaraderie appears to be strong. There's a balance between shooting competitions and banter combined with purposeful work.

The roster of 12 players -- the draft prospects and pro veterans, who arrived in November -- all live in the same apartment complex just a short drive from the Ultimate Fieldhouse, the longtime home of Stephen Curry's SC30 basketball camps. Following daily COVID-19 tests, players walk onto a fully branded G League Ignite floor with socially distanced chairs and all the necessary equipment to get loose for the day, including access to the weight room next door. While they don't have their own private facility like the South Bay Lakers or fancy locker rooms like top college programs, it's a solid setup by G League standards.

Following a holiday break, they've been able to shift from one-on-one and 2-on-2 work to a more team-centric approach, mixing in offensive sets, defensive concepts, film study and intrasquad scrimmages.

Here's a quick snapshot of the daily routine on weekdays:

7:20 or 7:50 a.m.: Bus from the apartment complex to the gym

8-8:30 a.m.: COVID-19 testing

8:30-9 a.m.: Treatment, warm up for practice

9-10 a.m.: Prospects lift for about an hour while the vets do skill work

10-11 a.m.: Vets lift while prospects do skill work

11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Team concepts, offensive sets, defensive principles, intrasquad scrimmage

1-2 p.m.: Team meeting, life skills presentation or Zoom interviews with the media

5:30 or 6:30 p.m.: Extra shooting work (mandatory for prospects, optional for vets)

For reference, NCAA athletes are allowed 20 hours of work per week in season and eight hours of work per week out of season. Some of the prospects are also enrolled in online classes at Arizona State University, part of the NBA's initiative to pay for schooling within five years of joining the league.

Shaw regularly shares stories about Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Penny Hardaway, Paul George and other stars from his playing and coaching career. But maybe the biggest growth area for the prospects has been their understanding of NBA terminology and concepts along with the importance of learning how to play with other good players.

"Next year they come to a team, the coach isn't going to hand them the ball and say you can pound it 15, 17 times," Shaw said.

The Ignite are playing an NBA-style offense with side-to-side movement and multiple actions. Players are figuring out how to make shots and reads on the move both in live action and through drill work. Guards and wings are learning how to space to the corners in transition, play out of handoffs and move off the ball. Bigs are reading the floor on the fly.

Defensively, Shaw is drilling an understanding of where to be off the ball and how to defend pick-and-roll effectively. During film sessions with the players, I'd regularly hear NBA terms like "blue-ing" a pick-and-roll or "veering" a screen. They referenced sets like Zip Iverson, Double Away, Triangle or Horns Dive. Todd mentioned two-nine in regard to the 2.9 seconds players have to stand in the key defensively, which doesn't exist in college. They're playing with NBA balls and shooting from the NBA 3-point line.

"I wanted to be in a position so that next year when these guys get drafted and they're on an NBA team that those coaches will say, Oh these guys are more prepared than the normal group of young guys that they get," Shaw said. "Not necessarily have to make an impact, but just understand the terminology of the NBA game as well as all the nuances when it comes to that."

The team has a support staff in place with lead assistant Rasheed Hazzard and player development coach Chris Farr; a strength coach with NBA experience in Ernest DeLosAngeles; a former Orlando Magic scouting coordinator as the director of operations in Kevin Tiller; video coordinators; a team athletic trainer and a sports information director.

On my final day in town, the strength coach organized a Zoom presentation by renowned sleep scientist Dr. Meeta Singh, who played a big role in helping players make it through the NBA bubble last season. She presented data on how late-night tweeting decreases field goal percentage and keys to getting good sleep -- all important intel for a player's development.

The roster

Jalen Green: The draft's most exciting prospect

The most decorated prospect of the group, Green excelled during the three days of practice I attended. A wiry 6-foot-6, he's an effortless athlete in the Zach LaVine mold who can score at all three levels and shows glimpses as a pick-and-roll facilitator. Even if the game is still slowing down for him, he has the potential to grow into more of an on-ball threat.

One NBA scout described Green as having "million-dollar legs" due to his springs, but what stood out most was the development Green made as a shooter. A career 31% 3-point shooter on 277 attempts, according to the DraftExpress database, Green shoots an easy ball with great rotation and soft touch. He should have little problem translating his shot-making to the highest level. He separates as well as any young guard I've evaluated at this age, already showcasing step-backs, pull-backs and instinctual spin moves. With his improved shooting along with his explosiveness, Green figures to have his fair share of scoring outbursts in Orlando.

"He has a unique game," Shaw said. "He doesn't have the body type of a Bradley Beal, but some of the ways that he scores is similar to Bradley Beal. He has the slasher type body -- that thin, wiry-strong body. Then if he gets a step on you, [he] can finish in the lane over big guys with the best of them."

It's easy to project Green as a top-five pick because of his athletic ability and offensive gifts. Proving himself as a defender would help his case against elite two-way prospects such as Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley, which Green is well aware of.

Green will be picked on plenty in the bubble. How he fares could go a long way in determining whether or not scouts see him as a potential top pick or more of a bucket-getting guard who still needs to learn how to impact winning.

Jonathan Kuminga: The two-way wing

Long 6-8 wings with two-way potential are in high demand in today's NBA, and Kuminga fits that mold perfectly. Although Kuminga's shooting consistency and decision-making wavered a bit during live action, he has the size, length and quickness to cement himself as the draft's best wing defender, something that he's mostly embraced.

During our film session, he talked about the keys to defending everyone from Giannis Antetokounmpo to Kawhi Leonard to Beal. He detailed how his motor has evolved and the importance of finding ways to impact the game when he isn't scoring.

"In high school, I used to let some plays go," Kuminga said. "It's a big switch that I had to flip."

Those blips are happening less often. The Ignite strength coach raved about Kuminga's physical tools and quickness for his size. The support staff made it clear that Kuminga and Green have been equally impressive, backing up Kuminga's stellar scrimmage performances in which he averaged an efficient 23.5 points.

"He just has everything," Brown said. "Frame, strong, can shoot, athletic."

Growing up in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kuminga used to pay to watch Kobe Bryant highlights at internet cafes, studying his footwork. Years later, he's now picking Shaw's brain about Bryant's mid-post game and competitive nature. Shaw also has shown Kuminga film detailing the progression of Jaylen Brown, whom Shaw worked out during his pre-draft process in 2016.

"He has the ability to, just like Jaylen Brown does, shoot from 3, midrange, post up, drive to the basket and finish through contact, get to the free throw line," Shaw said. "But on top of that, the best aspect of his game to me is on the defensive side of the ball. He can guard 1 through 4."

Kuminga does have his moments where he lets mistakes affect his body language, but there's a lot to like about his combination of floor and upside if he continues to evolve offensively. Although still a work in progress results-wise, Kuminga's shooting mechanics have greatly improved.

If Kuminga is defending with energy, making open 3s and keeping it simple offensively, NBA scouts are likely to start viewing him as a clear top-five pick -- and potentially more.

Daishen Nix: The playmaker

Although he battled a groin injury while I was in attendance, Nix showed his abilities as a facilitator, whipping one-handed passes all over the floor in transition and the half court. He also knocked down a handful of pull-up 3s in live action, displaying progress with his shooting mechanics.

At 6-5 and close to 230 pounds without great length, Nix is a thick guard who can still improve his conditioning, aggressiveness and defensive motor. Scouts will be studying Nix's defensive intensity and shooting to determine whether he's worthy of a fringe first-round slot, as currently projected.

Isaiah Todd: The stretch big

Todd was ranked as the top player in his high school class as a young teen despite not having all that much high-level experience to his name. With the burden of that ranking somewhat behind him, Todd now projects as an agile big with clear shooting potential that could translate to the next level.

"Removing the noise, being here, preparing myself to chase my dream, it's just been a great opportunity," Todd said. "I think for me personally the biggest strides have been off the court with my routine, which ultimately translates on the court."

At 6-10 with a 7-1 wingspan, Todd shot the ball well over the course of the three days and played with fairly consistent effort. He still has to improve as a rebounder and passer, but he's picking up NBA concepts quickly and has a chance to prove he's worthy of a draft pick in Orlando.

The veterans

The roster is filled out with a mix of veterans toward the end of their careers and younger players fighting for their next gig.

Jarrett Jack is the biggest name, bringing over 850 games of NBA experience. Then there's Amir Johnson, who went straight to the NBA out of high school and spent his first two years mostly playing in the D-League. Johnson is still trying to return to the NBA, but for now he's functioning as a player-coach

"For them to actually experience playing against pros before getting thrown in the fire -- as an 18-year-old kid I just got right to the NBA," Johnson said. "They actually get to come here, get the full experience of living by themselves, playing against grown men, practicing against grown men."

From a mentorship standpoint, maybe the most valuable of the team's three true NBA vets is Bobby Brown. Referred to as "Big Bro" by Green, Brown is a true basketball nomad. He played 158 career NBA games with five different teams and held jobs in Germany, Poland, Greece, Italy, China, Turkey and Montenegro.

The rest of the pros are still in their 20s, giving the roster a nice balance. Center Donta Hall is a potential call-up candidate with a strong bubble performance. Brandon Ashley, Cody Demps and Reggie Hearn have all proved themselves as productive G League players. With Kai Sotto still in the Philippines with the national team, 19-year-old center and NBA Academy product Princepal Singh, an India native, is the final development player on the roster.

Looking ahead to the bubble

There's a clear understanding among opposing teams -- and organizations that declined to go to Orlando -- that the bubble is largely being held with the Ignite prospects in mind. On top of that, the teenagers are making anywhere from $200,000 to $600,000 -- plus sponsorship opportunities -- with the veterans making almost three times a standard $36,000 G League contract to be a part of the program.

Whether it's former NBA bucket-getters in Allonzo Trier and Jeremy Lin or rookies in Nico Mannion and Paul Reed, opponents will have extra motivation when they face the Ignite. Scouts will learn a lot from how these teenage prospects respond to the physicality and inevitable trash talk.

"The natural thought or energy that comes behind G League or minor league teams is that guys are hungry," Shaw said. "It's all about, 'I'm putting food on my table or you're trying to take it off of my table.' So [it's] understanding that every single game you've got a target on your back, so these guys are going to come after you."

Shaw said he expects to start Green, Kuminga, Nix and Todd along with a veteran center (likely Johnson or Hall). He anticipates everyone in the rotation getting 16 to 24 minutes a game.

NBA scouts understand the difference in experience for G League players versus teenagers, but there's no question the Ignite prospects will be under the microscope. How they perform will carry considerable weight in draft rooms, as this bubble is basically equivalent to their college season.

It also remains to be seen in what fashion these prospects will be featured in a competitive setting again until draft night. Will the NBA be able to schedule more games against G League opponents? Will scouts be able to attend? That makes the G League bubble an important test for not just the prospects but the program as a whole.

Still, it's hard to fully judge the merits of this new path given the COVID-19 pandemic. There's just no substitute for legitimate playing time and being able to develop by competing in meaningful games, plus the film study and adjustments that come with it. Being in Walnut Creek with a season on pause has created understandable challenges in achieving that up until this point.

For the first time since their high school days, Green, Kuminga, Todd and Nix are about to take the floor in games that matter, and everything from the No. 1 pick in the 2021 draft to the future of the NBA superstar pipeline could be at stake.

Idk why I’m high on Jalen. Everything tells me he won’t reach his potential. Then he has these flashes and stuffs the boxscore and I come right back.

Cooper going up against the #2 team right now. I'll watch

Also former HS teammates Moody v Cade. Looks like they're both gonna play and it's on now too

They just said Baylor's lineup is as old or older than the Chicago Bulls. I guess this isn't that crazy but it's funny still lol

Back
Top Bottom