2024 NBA Draft Thread

Is it wrong to want to pump the breaks a little on saying Evan Mobley "can be a dominant scorer"?

looks like the actual reports are behind a paywall :nerd:
Think you have to login to view them. This month is free.

Cunningham:
CADE CUNNIGHAM
W, OKLAHOMA STATE, FRESHMAN
Age 19.5 | 6'7" | 220 | Wingspan 7’0”
Birthdate: Sept 25, 2001

Primary Values: Elite court vision, ball handling, size

Ranking: 1
Pos Ranking: 1
Draft range: 1-3

Scouting Report:

Strengths: Cunningham is an elite prospect who possesses most of the tools NBA teams are looking for in an NBA wing. He has elite size and basketball IQ for the position and approaches the game with a quiet confidence that makes him unflappable in crunch time. Cunningham excels with the ball in his hands, can playmake both from halfcourt sets and in transition and has great control of the pace of the game. Coming into the season, NBA scouts expressed concern about his outside shot, but he’s shooting 43% from behind the arc, making him a scoring threat from anywhere on the court. He plays unselfish basketball, but will take over a game in the last few minutes if he needs to. Given his size, length and strength, he has the potential to guard 2s, 3s and 4s in the NBA. He’s an excellent defensive rebounder for his position and picks up his fair share of steals and blocks.

Weaknesses: Cunningham’s assist-to-turnover ratio has been underwater all year, raising eyebrows among scouts. While he’s known for having elite court vision, he has often been really careless with the basketball. His high turnover rate may say something about the fact that he’s not surrounded with elite talent and the outsized role he plays at Oklahoma State, but it is a red flag nonetheless and has caused many scouts to see him as a playmaking wing more than a point guard. Cunningham’s lack of elite athleticism, especially laterally, raises concerns about his ability to defend quicker guards on the perimeter, and he’s struggled at times finishing at the rim given his lack of explosiveness off the floor.

Bottom line: Cunningham is one of the most complete prospects I’ve scouted in the past decade. As a big, ball handling wing he plays the most coveted position in the NBA, he has elite size and feel for the game and even his weaknesses aren’t major concerns for NBA scouts. He’s the type of high-ceiling, high-floor prospect that could be a franchise cornerstone for a team.

Position-specific traits:

athleticism: 7

ballhandling: 8

court vision: 9

defense: 7

leadership: 9

NBA readiness: 9

shooting: 8

size: 10

strength: 9

Statistical strengths for position:
3-point shooting
defensive rebounding
blocks

Statistical weaknesses for position:
turnovers
assist-to-turnover ratio

Best game: Feb. 27 at Oklahoma (40 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 6 turnovers)

Worst game: Jan. 9 at Kansas State (5 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists)

Key stats:

PPG: 20.1
RPG: 6.2
APG: 3.5
BPG: 0.8
SPG: 1.6
TOPG: 4.0
EFG%: 51.5
3PT%: 40.0
3PM/PG: 2.5
FT%: 83
FTM/PG: 5.5
PER: 21.6
WS: 4.0

Mobley:
EVAN MOBLEY
F/C, USC, FRESHMAN
Age 19.7 | 7'0" | 215 | Wingspan 7’4”
Birthdate: Jun 18, 2001

Primary Values: Versatile offensive tools, rim protector

Ranking: 2
Draft range: 1-5

Scouting Report:

Strengths: Mobley should be a versatile NBA big man who can score from anywhere. He has a soft touch around the basket, can step out and hit perimeter jumpers, including 3s, and has the unique ability at his size to take defenders off the dribble and get to the rim. He has quick feet and excellent lateral mobility and is an explosive leaper. He has soft hands and a good feel for the game. He’s an above average passer for a big man. On the defensive end, he’s even further along. He’s proven to be an elite rim protector and he has the mobility to guard players all over the floor. He’s very good at avoiding fouls for a young big man.

Weaknesses: At 215 pounds, he needs to add a lot of strength to defend in the paint in the NBA. His lack of strength gets him pushed out of position for defensive rebounds. He currently ranks as a slightly below average defensive and offensive rebounder. His motor waxes and wanes a bit. He can come up very big during crunch time, but gets caught coasting a bit during the middle of games.

Bottom line: Mobley is the unique 7-footer who can be a dominant scorer and rim protector in the NBA. While he needs to add significant strength and keep his motor revved, there are very few big men with his versatile skill set and defensive potential.

athleticism: 8

ballhandling: 7

court vision: 7

defense: 9

leadership: 7

NBA readiness: 8

scoring: 7

shooting: 8

size: 10

strength: 5

fouls
assists
blocks
shooting

defensive rebounding

Best game: Mar 12 vs Colorado (26 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 blocks, 3 turnovers)

Worst game: Jan. 2 at Utah (3 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists)

Key stats:

PPG: 16.4
RPG: 8.7
APG: 2.4
BPG: 2.9
SPG: 0.8
TOPG: 2.2
EFG%: 59.5
3PT%: 30.0
3PTM/PG: 0.4
FT%: 70.4
FTM/PG: 4.1
PER: 29.1
WS: 6.9

Suggs:
JALEN SUGGS
G, GONZAGA, FRESHMAN
Age 19.8 | 6'4" | 204 | Wingspan 6’5”
Birthdate: Jun 23, 2001

Primary Values: Toughness, leadership, scorer

Ranking: 3
Draft range: 1-5

Scouting Report:

Strengths: Suggs is an ultra-competitive guard who can play both the 1 and the 2. The former high school quarterback plays like a QB on the basketball court. He is very aggressive on both ends. He has an explosive first step and the physical strength to finish with contact, and he uses his strength and quickness to lock down opponents on the defensive end. He has good, but not elite, floor vision. He has a terrific motor, plays very unselfish and rarely takes bad shots. He fit in well with his talented Gonzaga teammates. His shooting range extends well beyond the 3-point line.

Weaknesses: Is he really a point guard? If he’s playing the 2, he lacks elite size and length for his position. His ultra-competitiveness can come back to bite him in the form of foul trouble and turnovers. His 3-point shooting has been streaky all season.

Bottom line: Suggs is a natural leader who excels with the ball in his hands at the end of games. He can score from anywhere on the floor, defends both backcourt positions and cares about winning more than his own stats. His decision-making and fearlessness make him an ideal guard to build a team around. He has the highest “It” factor of any player in the draft. His presence on and off the court is compelling.

athleticism: 9

ballhandling: 8

court vision: 7

defense: 9

leadership: 10

NBA readiness: 10

scoring: 7

shooting: 6

size: 7

strength: 9

defensive rebounding
defensive plus/minus
2pt field goal %
shooting

fouls
turnovers
3pt field goal %

Best game: Mar. 30 vs USC (18 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 turnovers, 2-4 from 3)

Worst game: Jan. 3 vs Pepperdine (4 points, 5 rebounds, 5 fouls)

Key stats:

PPG: 14.4
RPG: 5.3
APG: 4.5
BPG: 0.3
SPG: 1.9
TOPG: 2.9
EFG%: 56.0
3PT%: 33.7
3PTM/PG: 1.6
FT%: 76.1
FTM/PG: 4.0
PER: 22.6
WS: 4.6

The narrow shoulders and high hips makes me a bit weary that Mobley will get much bigger. Reminiscent of Brandon Ingram in that sense, but I think Ingram had broader shoulders at 20.

It’ll be interesting to see how good of a shooter Mobley becomes and if his body type doesn’t allow him to bang
This is kind of what I'm referring to when I made my initial statement. He's a bit in-between for me to be ready to say he has the potential to be a dominant scorer. Of the more recent draft picks, I still think Ayton fits that bill more, and he's become soft. Bigger, stronger body and better shooter.

I still REALLY like Mobley though. And I'd take him at 2 if I were Minnesota in a heartbeat where he can be like a 3rd/4th option offensively.

Wasn't JJJ pushing 240 when he came out?

Just looked it up. He was 236 lbs at the combine. Up to 242 now.

Mobley has the edge in playmaking but I think the rest of their games compare pretty well.

JJJ measured in at a shade under 6'10. If Mobley is considerably shorter than him that's a problem. I don't think he is.

edit - my bad I see ya'll talking weight.

Weight wise...AD was in the 220 range. Evan should be around that I'd think.

JJJ measured in at a shade under 6'10. If Mobley is considerably shorter than him that's a problem. I don't think he is.

edit - my bad I see ya'll talking weight.

Weight wise...AD was in the 220 range. Evan should be around that I'd think.
Yeah he's fine height/length-wise.

Just worried a bit about him bulking up. Feel like majority of the good bigs are hovering around 250 or more and it helps them on both ends of the court. Without that extra size, or a good reliable jumper, he might get pushed off of a lot of the spots where he thrives.

Mobley doesn't shoot it near as well as JJJ... That's going to have to progress.

His frame doesn't look like one that's gonna get significantly bigger... AD was always thin but his frame looked like he'd carry weight easy.... Broad shoulders, big lower body even at UK... Mobley doesn't look like a guy that's gonna carry a ton more weight to me.

All that said, I'd probably still draft him 2 or 3. Jalen Green might pass Suggs as the next guard after Cunningham for me.

The way guys like AD and Giannis grew is just such an aberration. Difficult to really even try to compare anyone to them physically.

I think at the end of the day, Mobley's best use is going to be as 3rd or maybe 4th option offensively that can get some buckets and keep the ball moving, similar to someone like prime Al Horford (but hopefully better). Then defensively can focus on wreaking havoc.

Yeah, I think the Top 5 is pretty well set in some order, but it doesn't feel like 2/3/4 is set in stone at all...

Cade is going 1. Kuminga likely going 5. The three in the middle could go in any order and it wouldn't shock me.

Back
Top Bottom