24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Apple pay is a big reason why I don't care how a card feels lol .

^^ Im with you bro. I wish everyone took apple pay, so I wouldn't have to carry my wallet. Just leave it in the car with my license.

Honestly though, when I was swiping with the Reserve Card, I got alot of compliments from cute cashiers :tongue:

Guess they never seen it before and like the weight to the card

shouldn't have come in here....

Been chilling for awhile but had to jump on the Prime Card...

Anybody here ever heard of Credit One Bank?

Logged onto my online banking and saw a $424.54 charge to my visa debit card by Credit One Bank.

I've never heard of Credit One Bank, I've certainly never done business with them. I called up my bank and filed a fraud complaint but I'm wondering if anything like this has ever happened to you?

I called up Credit One since the number was provided on my bank statement but I can't reach any one without inputing a Credit One CC number which obviously I don't have. 

Did some research and Credit One Bank is a real provider of credit services but it sounds like a garbage company. 1/5 stars and thousands of incidents on consumercomplaints.com, mostly nightmare customer service from actual customers but also a few situations like mine, where they went in someones bank account and took money. 

I've never heard of this happening before. I hate scumbag companies. 

Last edited:

Thinking of getting Chase Freedom Unlimited thoughts on it?
It's a solid card and Chase is a prime lender. If you prefer just a general spending card with simplicity and not  worrying about getting more points/cashback on specific categories (like gas, restaurant, supermarkets) and rather have a 1.5% cash back on everything then this card is for you. Also Chase Ultimate Rewards points are considered to be one of the better reward systems out there in terms of value. 

Another card to consider is the Cap 1 Quicksilver, it's exactly the same with 1.5% cash back everything, except I believe they post your cash back amount  faster and right after each posted transaction so you can see your cash back money pile up instantly as opposed to other cards which takes a Statement period or two to reflect your cash back. Also The quicksilver has no foreign transaction fee when you use it out of the country, I think the Freedom Unlimited doesn't have this benefit. 

Last edited:
Random got a target card about a year ago and never used it. Got it for the hell of it

They just sent me a letter to use it or they're gonna close it

guys when will the bonus 50k for the CSR hit my ultimate rewards account? i hit the 4k spending on the 10th (posted on the 13th)....

How long does it usually take for your credit line to go back up after making a payment(Capital One Secured Card)?

What did everyone do with the cash back from discover after the 1st year? Is the gift card option the best todo since they add $5 or more?

What did everyone do with the cash back from discover after the 1st year? Is the gift card option the best todo since they add $5 or more?

Up to you. Just make sure if you get a gift card that it's worth it over cashback. I recently used a bunch of it on Staples GCs to buy computer parts. Got Staples to price match then used those 20% gift cards.

It's a solid card and Chase is a prime lender. If you prefer just a general spending card with simplicity and not  worrying about getting more points/cashback on specific categories (like gas, restaurant, supermarkets) and rather have a 1.5% cash back on everything then this card is for you. Also Chase Ultimate Rewards points are considered to be one of the better reward systems out there in terms of value. 

Another card to consider is the Cap 1 Quicksilver, it's exactly the same with 1.5% cash back everything, except I believe they post your cash back amount  faster and right after each posted transaction so you can see your cash back money pile up instantly as opposed to other cards which takes a Statement period or two to reflect your cash back. Also The quicksilver has no foreign transaction fee when you use it out of the country, I think the Freedom Unlimited doesn't have this benefit. 
1st question is if you are interested in points or cashback?

Chase freedom unlimited is only useful if you have a CSR/CSP to pair it with to utilize the chase UR portal x1.5.  By pairing, you can get 1.5x for non-category spend things that aren't restaurants/travel etc. But if you have it by itself, it's a nice starter card, but to use it to it's full potential, you need to pair it with the CSR/CSP.

Doesn't the quicksilver have a annual fee of $39? If that's the case, then there is a break even point for the card which makes it useless unless you spend a certain amount of money.

If you want just straight cash back for everyday purchases and aren't interesed in points, the Citi Double Cash is a flat 2% without annual fee. Also the Fidelity Visa is a no-annual fee 2% cash back visa. 

Even the discover it has a double cash back for the first year, and is a good starter card with categories.

How long does it usually take for your credit line to go back up after making a payment(Capital One Secured Card)?
For me, if a make a payment on a Monday. It will show available on the next business day.
Also ifeatures I post date it, say itsomething Monday and I have them take money out on the coming friday, it will become available that Saturday to use.

1st question is if you are interested in points or cashback?

Chase freedom unlimited is only useful if you have a CSR/CSP to pair it with to utilize the chase UR portal x1.5.  By pairing, you can get 1.5x for non-category spend things that aren't restaurants/travel etc. But if you have it by itself, it's a nice starter card, but to use it to it's full potential, you need to pair it with the CSR/CSP.

Doesn't the quicksilver have a annual fee of $39? If that's the case, then there is a break even point for the card which makes it useless unless you spend a certain amount of money.

If you want just straight cash back for everyday purchases and aren't interesed in points, the Citi Double Cash is a flat 2% without annual fee. Also the Fidelity Visa is a no-annual fee 2% cash back visa. 

Even the discover it has a double cash back for the first year, and is a good starter card with categories.
I want points more than cashback. Friend of mine has Chase freedom and ended up going out the country for free due to his points. 

I want a card that does something like that. 

Last edited:
I want points more than cashback. Friend of mine has Chase freedom and ended up going out the country for free due to his points. 
I want a card that does something like that. 

He must also have the chase sapphire rewards or sapphire reserve. Because the freedom by itself is just a cashback card. But he could have paired it with the sapphire and converted his freedom cashback to ultimate rewards points

Got my 100k :pimp:

^^ Same here I already used 20K for a flight to Ecuador to visit my college friend memorial day weekend. Flight came out to $120 for two people roundtrip after the miles. Great deal, because normally that flight is about $600.

My score is 710 without any usage. (All cards paid)

710 still seems low tho

What else can I do to get a higher score?

Or do I just wait it out.

Should I just pay the $153 to get it marked paid or let the experian/transunion dispute play out? The collector has said they wont delete it though

Just let the dispute play out, you can always pay the fee after and you might not even have to if it turns out to be an error. Someone else could better explain to you the benefits of paying off a collection account

My score is 710 without any usage. (All cards paid)

710 still seems low tho

What else can I do to get a higher score?

Or do I just wait it out.
You can raise all your credit limits by requesting credit limit increase for all your cards

Back
Top Bottom