32% Tuition Hike at UC campuses...the price of trying to better yourself is ridiculous...

USC > UCLA

george lucas
pimp.gif

From the NY Times:

Regents Set to Raise Tuition in California by 32 Percent

The University of California Board of Regents was expected to approve a plan on Thursday to raise undergraduate fees - the equivalent of tuition - 32 percent by next fall, to help make up for steep cuts in state funding.

The state allocation for the 10-campus system, one of the leading public university systems in the nation, was cut $813 million, or 20 percent, this year, leading to a hiring freeze, furloughs and layoffs.

The impact on the University of California campuses has been dramatic: faculty hiring is not keeping up with enrollment demand, and many course sections have been eliminated. Instructional budgets are being reduced by $139 million, with 1,900 employees laid off, 3,800 positions eliminated and hiring deferred for nearly 1,600 positions, most of them faculty.

Several campuses are planning to admit more out-of-state students, who pay higher tuition, to help close the budget gap. And there is a growing worry that senior faculty may begin to defect to other institutions.

Since the school year began, thousands of students have protested both the budget cuts and the proposal for higher fees, which would bring in-state tuition to more than $10,000 a year. On Wednesday 14 protesters, including 12 students, were arrested at U.C.L.A., for disrupting the meeting of the Regents Finance Committee, which was eventually closed to visitors.

On Thursday, as the Regents met at U.C.L.A.'s Covel Commons, hundreds of demonstrators from campuses across the state gathered outside to protest the fee increases. Some carried signs that said, "Freeze the Fees," "No to the Cuts" and "R.I.P. Higher Education."

Some students set up a tent city on campus overnight, and others occupied Campbell Hall, where they remained during the Regents meeting.

There were also large protests on the Berkeley campus by union workers, students and faculty.

Mark Yudof, president of the system, said the University of California now received only half as much support from the state, per student, as it did in 1990. Even with the higher student fees, the system needs a $913 million increase in state financing next year to avoid further cuts. If that extra money is not provided, next year's freshman enrollment will most likely be cut.

"When it comes to the university's core support, we have only two main sources - taxpayer dollars from the state and student fees," Mr. Yudof said. "Even with deep administrative cuts, when one goes down, the other almost inevitably must go up."

To help students who cannot afford the increasing fees, the Regents were also expected to approve the expansion of the Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan, for undergraduates whose family income is below $70,000.

In the public comment period at the Regents meeting, many students spoke out against the fee increase, telling of their families' struggles to get them a college education, their difficulty affording even the current fees, and the likelihood that higher fees would make the system's campuses inaccessible to low-income students.

Damn...
smh.gif

Students are out protesting right now...thoughts??

tuition at my school is going up like crazy too

i know that pharmacy is going up by 66%, business 30-something% and so on

meanwhile those lucky bastards in the arts "only" get a 3% increase

even the price of our bus pass is gonna exceed 100 bucks/semester

i didnt even get a loan, how the ##+% am i gonna afford school
smh.gif

Yea they're still protesting out there. This fee increase will decrease the diversity on campus, and make it harder for students from low-income familiesto pursue an education at an UC. But this is something that had to be done, since they vowed not to do furlough days anymore. The only other way the UCs canmake up the money from budget cuts is for the state to tax the richest 1%, only 1% but republicans would never pass that.

Originally Posted by warriors510

Yea they're still protesting out there. This fee increase will decrease the diversity on campus, and make it harder for students from low-income families to pursue an education at an UC. But this is something that had to be done, since they vowed not to do furlough days anymore. The only other way the UCs can make up the money from budget cuts is for the state to tax the richest 1%, only 1% but republicans would never pass that.

They're saying that a lot of minority-related classes were the first to be cut too.

Right now it's just UCs right now, but who's to say that any other program won't follow suit in the near future?? It's scary...

Yeah, it's been pretty crazy. We already had a walkout in september and yesterday through tomorrow is supposed to be a strike. It's pretty ridiculousto hike up tuition 32% and cut tons of faculty. They are also planning to institute the fee hike starting next semester. I know of a few people that say itwill be hard for them to stay here in school with the cost going up b that much.

Originally Posted by NCTwin

From the NY Times:

Regents Set to Raise Tuition in California by 32 Percent

The University of California Board of Regents was expected to approve a plan on Thursday to raise undergraduate fees - the equivalent of tuition - 32 percent by next fall, to help make up for steep cuts in state funding.

The state allocation for the 10-campus system, one of the leading public university systems in the nation, was cut $813 million, or 20 percent, this year, leading to a hiring freeze, furloughs and layoffs.

The impact on the University of California campuses has been dramatic: faculty hiring is not keeping up with enrollment demand, and many course sections have been eliminated. Instructional budgets are being reduced by $139 million, with 1,900 employees laid off, 3,800 positions eliminated and hiring deferred for nearly 1,600 positions, most of them faculty.

Several campuses are planning to admit more out-of-state students, who pay higher tuition, to help close the budget gap. And there is a growing worry that senior faculty may begin to defect to other institutions.

Since the school year began, thousands of students have protested both the budget cuts and the proposal for higher fees, which would bring in-state tuition to more than $10,000 a year. On Wednesday 14 protesters, including 12 students, were arrested at U.C.L.A., for disrupting the meeting of the Regents Finance Committee, which was eventually closed to visitors.

On Thursday, as the Regents met at U.C.L.A.'s Covel Commons, hundreds of demonstrators from campuses across the state gathered outside to protest the fee increases. Some carried signs that said, "Freeze the Fees," "No to the Cuts" and "R.I.P. Higher Education."

Some students set up a tent city on campus overnight, and others occupied Campbell Hall, where they remained during the Regents meeting.

There were also large protests on the Berkeley campus by union workers, students and faculty.

Mark Yudof, president of the system, said the University of California now received only half as much support from the state, per student, as it did in 1990. Even with the higher student fees, the system needs a $913 million increase in state financing next year to avoid further cuts. If that extra money is not provided, next year's freshman enrollment will most likely be cut.

"When it comes to the university's core support, we have only two main sources - taxpayer dollars from the state and student fees," Mr. Yudof said. "Even with deep administrative cuts, when one goes down, the other almost inevitably must go up."

To help students who cannot afford the increasing fees, the Regents were also expected to approve the expansion of the Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan, for undergraduates whose family income is below $70,000.

In the public comment period at the Regents meeting, many students spoke out against the fee increase, telling of their families' struggles to get them a college education, their difficulty affording even the current fees, and the likelihood that higher fees would make the system's campuses inaccessible to low-income students.

Damn...
smh.gif

Students are out protesting right now...thoughts??

keep allowing all the illegals to go there for free. f that make their a $$ pay for their %!%.

im mexican so dont come at me with your racist cr @ p

I got this from a well-informed friend.

Here is some information that people do not know regarding the UC Budget Crisis. Yudof also has $5.3 Billion dollars in unrestricted Federal Reserve funds that he can use in any "emergency" but he doesn't have to tell anybody if he used it or what he is using it for. Did you guys also know that last fall $390 Million was given to top UC Executives? I hope you guys are as pissed off as I am, and show up and protest today.

THE FACTS:
" The state of California has a financial emergency NOT UC.
" State appropriations to UC are only 19% of the UC total revenue.
" There is a $570 Million budget shortfall.
" UC has $5.3 billion in unrestricted reserve funds;
" $390 Million in bonuses was paid to UC top executives last fall

How would Yudof s salary be affected?
$828,000 8% = $762,000/year! PLUS&
Yudof s Post-Retirement Supplemental Agreement would remain intact!
Supplemental pension funding will be provided to produce a vested single life annuity.
At the end of each of the first 7 years of employment Yudof will receive approximately:
Year 1-$29,554; Year 2-$60,217; Year 3-$92,029; Year 4-$127,307; Year 5- $230,000;
Year 6-$300,000; Year 7-$350,000. For years 8 & beyond - funding will occur in accordance with the normal UCRP funding policy that is applicable to funding the benefits of all UCRP members. The Universitys contribution to Yudof s supplemental retirement for 2008 was $228,000!!!

UCSB student here...all i can do is SMH @ this situation. UCSB is one of the more expensive UCs to attend with the high living costs here (1400 a month onaverage for an old 1 bedroom @#$%@# up apartment with no heating
sick.gif
)...Iknow a handful of people who are ready to transfer to Cal State

Originally Posted by blacklabel98329

it's not just at UCLA...it's at all the UC's
and it's not just all the UC's, it's the CSU's also.

my tuition went up 30% last semester. and then they added furloughs. so basically paying 30% more in tuition for a less actual class time.

budget crisis...
sick.gif

^really? Not doing jack? Come on now. *Keeps fingers crossed that nothing even remotely similar occurs at my school*

straight garbage. i was thinking about transferring to CAL too. Guess i stay with our hiked fees at a State college

The fee hike of $2,500, or 32%, will come in two steps by next fall. That would bring the basic UC education fees to about $10,300, plus about another $1,000 for campus-based charges, for a total that would be about triple the UC cost a decade ago. Room, board and books can add another $16,000.

50592872.jpg

Back
Top Bottom