32% Tuition Hike at UC campuses...the price of trying to better yourself is ridiculous...

smh.gif
and i'm STILL mad about my college increasing fees at least $100 for next semester.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

The worst part is that a BA/BS ain't doing jack for you anymore.

QFE. thats why i am trying to get this masters before it becomes a joke like the rest of em.

From my standpoint experience > degree. At least increasingly higher degrees. Employers want you to have experience more than anything.

Originally Posted by enrique23

Originally Posted by onetwothreewick

good thing i'm not planning on attending any UC schools
only school i want to go to in cali is USC
UC tuition is still $20,000 cheaper than USC
ohwell.gif

USC gives really good financial aid though

Originally Posted by bijald0331

^you still applying to northwestern?

yeah i'm still applying there.
its one of my top choices.

Go to NU, my alma mater
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You'll love it there, great job prospects coming out. Name brand my man, that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by presequel

Originally Posted by 951guero

Originally Posted by presequel

^ serious

ya'll complaining about what the rest of us have had to do for years, TAKING OUT STUDENT LOANS.

i sympathize with ya'll, i really do, but then i read its raising tuition basically by $2000? THATS IT? sure it adds up over the years, but it aint that much in the big scheme of things.
Easy for someone to say bro, but if you dont mind me asking..it seems 9by the twitter, 350z thing on your sig) that your middle/upper middle class
Thats a blessing man but you gotta look at it this way, not everyone is as fortunate as many people that can afford private schools, those 2gs go a long wayyyy for a person that aint as well as others
Yeah its true, it really is easier to say than actually doing it. My sister and my brothers went through the uc/cal state system, I was the only one who went private (art school). so i realize the big difference in pay. I don't mind you asking, and truth is my family was low/middle class (keyword was), but my parents worked hard to get their kids in school, we worked hard to get any financial aid/scholarships we could in return. Anything on top we took out student loans.

my art school cost about 36k a year, tuition alone. including supplies that could be 40k+. now there was no way i could afford to goto a school like this, but this is a school i wanted to goto because i felt this was the best way to setup my career/life. i also had a full ride scholarship at a less prestigious school, but i chose to go the harder route and ended up taking near 100k in school loans (federal and private loans). Luckily for me, my risk ended up working out as i graduated and got a good paying job. 3 years out, im already making more than what my parents were making when i was growing up. I am very lucky and i know that isnt the case for everyone. Im just trying to say that if I let money get in the way of what I wanted to achieve or where I wanted to go, I would not be where I am right now, or be able to go where I want to in the future.

Thats why i said an extra 2k a year aint that much in the big scheme of things. I was thinking over the course of a few years after college, being that the person makes good use of the education system (using it to their advantage, not hoping that it does the work for them) that they can pay that off. I think that the price of college is way too much, and it sucks, but I don't think it should hold any of us back. I'm understanding toward those who have absolutely no means to receive financial aid, or not qualified to take out loans. But for those that are qualified, and choose to leave college or use it as an out and blame the system, its much harder for me. Yeah no one wants to be paying back student loans for years, but those that use that as a crutch to prevent themselves from moving up the ladder is kinda ridiculous.

Hope you get where i'm coming from.
Yeah man i get you, oh i took it out of context but yeah people shoild pursue their goals at all cost. I truly believe people dont go to schoolbecause of the maount of money it takes to go, but in the long run those student loans will pay off
Going to school, getting in debt, doing something you like > Being stuck in a job becasue "school is too expensive", being stuck there for therest of your life

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Originally Posted by onetwothreewick

good thing i'm not planning on attending any UC schools
only school i want to go to in cali is USC
UC tuition is still $20,000 cheaper than USC
ohwell.gif

USC gives really good financial aid though

Originally Posted by bijald0331

^you still applying to northwestern?

yeah i'm still applying there.
its one of my top choices.

Go to NU, my alma mater
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You'll love it there, great job prospects coming out. Name brand my man, that's all that matters.
Used to live near there, was one of the choices I'd have for grad school.

The situation got crazy today. Wheeler Hall is being occupied by students and I heard they've got enough food for 4 days of occupation. Police areeverywhere and have been taking action and arresting people.

My take on the situation is that you go to the public school for a lower cost education, but a fee hike of 32% is a little ridiculous to do with such shortnotice when they could have gradually instituted a fee increase. It also seems like they are acting as if this is their only option and they have no other wayof keeping the schools running without an increase in tuition, but I feel like that is a ridiculous notion that the only thing they could do would be toinstitute a higher tuition and start cutting jobs.

Back
Top Bottom