4-day workweek gains global momentum

Work four days a week, but get paid for five?

It sounds too good to be true, but companies around the world that have cut their work week have found that it leads to higher productivity, more motivated staff and less burnout.

"It is much healthier and we do a better job if we're not working crazy hours," said Jan Schulz-Hofen, founder of Berlin-based project management software company Planio, who introduced a four-day week to the company's 10-member staff earlier this year.

In New Zealand, insurance company Perpetual Guardian reported a fall in stress and a jump in staff engagement after it tested a 32-hour week earlier this year.

Even in Japan, the government is encouraging companies to allow Monday mornings off, although other schemes in the workaholic country to persuade employees to take it easy have had little effect.

Britain's Trades Union Congress (TUC) is pushing for the whole country to move to a four-day week by the end of the century, a drive supported by the opposition Labour party.

The TUC argues that a shorter week is a way for workers to share in the wealth generated by new technologies like machine learning and robotics, just as they won the right to the weekend off during the industrial revolution.

"It would reduce the stress of juggling working and family life and could improve gender equality. Companies that have already tried it say it's better for productivity and staff wellbeing," said TUC economic head Kate Bell.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...ompanies-try-four-day-061143217--finance.html

This needs to haopen but it probably wont.. too many old world ideologies on how we spend our time and what should we do with it... an extra day would help immensely but people would still complain

10-3 m-f. If everyone sat and busted *** for 5 hours instead of 8 hours where you’re board half the time it would be the same thing

That would be better but they would take away lunch breaks I believe. I need a lunch break.

Thoughts? I support the **** out of this. Either this or a 6 hour work day is desperately needed in my eyes.

I used to work a 4 day week. Except one of those days was 7am-11pm on Saturday. The extra day off was nice, but I had to use one of those extra days off to recover from the double because I was exhausted (working with juvenile offenders).

Best schedule I ever had was a 37.5 hour work week when I worked for the state.

Four 10 hour days doesn't sound bad either.

Ideal scenario would be four 8 hour days.

F***n work man :smh:

superthumb.jpg

I'm all for this. I already get to do this; my boss allows us to work from home one day a week (usually Wednesday/Thursday), and usually I end up doing maybe 1-2 hours of actual work. It actually ends up making my other 4 days more productive though; not because I'm behind on projects, but because I feel re-energized and am able to knock out everything that gets assigned to me pretty quickly.

At my last job, I had the type of boss that wanted me in the office from 9AM-8PM every day. So many wasted hours either pretending to be busy or doing menial mind numbing tasks that could've been assigned to an intern.

Being in the office for hours and hours tires you out mentally and causes you to make more mistakes

Half my day is lunch and the other half is NT/Reddit/Twitter.
It's amazing I actually get work done. Must be getting done in the 3rd half.

Most jobs truthfully dont require an 8 hour work period and work can be done in minimal time. At my old job, I would often hide wherever I could to avoid not being seen doing anything because **** was already done

Most jobs truthfully dont require an 8 hour work period and work can be done in minimal time. At my old job, I would often hide wherever I could to avoid not being seen doing anything because **** was already done

At my old job, I would mean mug my computer screen and whisper out random numbers as if I was busy calculating something (I was actually done with my work and just watching Netflix).
If I got caught with free time, my boss used to make me do collection calls for accounts receivable cause I was the only other one with an American accent on the accounting team (our customer base was "Middle America") :smh:

Last edited:
These mother****ers somehow think I'm being overworked and are actually giving me less :emoji_joy:
I aint had **** to do in like 2 whole weeks :emoji_relieved:

Back
Top Bottom